Original Flava

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Aug 2019

YUM A LUM! Gorgeous recipes that I can’t WAIT to try. I’m not a home chef by any stretch but these dishes look so delicious I’m going to give it a go!
Some great recipes in the sample book I was sent. It only had a few recipes in it, but gave me lots to try out and increase my cooking repertoire. Easy to follow and use. Nice ingredients which were generally easy to obtain. My family were most impressed. Thanks for letting me review this book.
This is a sampler of the full book and contains 10 recipes, which includes Ackee and saltfish, Pumpkin rice, Roti, Doubles, Jerk burger, Plantain & chickpea curry, Curry goat, Rum - 4 ways, Honey roasted jerk spiced salmon and cheesecake.

Each recipe came with a full colour photograph.  The measurements are in metric and have easy to follow instructions.  If you like it spicy then this is a book for you.

I received this from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
A really great book of Caribbean recipes - they felt really authentic and like the food you get in the Caribbean. We tried the doubles, goat curry and roti and loved them all! The recipes were simple, easy to follow and didn't need lots of complicated ingredients or equipment. Will be picking up a copy of the book when it is finished!
An amazing book, all the pictures m the sound of the recipes, as soon as I dived in my mouth was watering. I can’t wait to try even more of these recipes, the couple I have so far are just so gorgeous, instructions are easy to follow, they make it a pleasure to cook. This is for fans of bold flavours and great Caribbean food. Absolutely fantastic cook book.
When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

Craig and Shaun McAnuff are bringing Da'Flava from the Caribbean to your kitchen!

We're Craig and Shaun, two brothers from South London, but with Jamaica in our hearts and souls. Our Mum and Nanny taught us to cook, and Original Flava is all about meals that are vibrant, lively, exciting, and full of the influences from different cultures that make the Caribbean island of Jamaica so wonderful. That's why we've travelled to Jamaica to bring you its authentic and fresh FLAVAs!

Our motto is EAT: we make our recipes Easy, Accessible and Tasty. We want to give you platefuls that taste like grandma's food so there are recipes for classics like Ackee 'n' Saltfish and Curry goat, and Caribbean favourites from home such as Garlic butter lobster and Trini doubles. We also like to twist it up a likkle to give dishes our modern spin, so you can find recipes for Honey roasted jerk-spiced salmon, Plantain beanburgers and Banana fritter cheesecake.

The most important thing, we think, is the togetherness food brings­ – the same happiness we have with our family. We want to share this joy: a testament to the culture of Jamaica, the fun, fantastic FLAVAs, and the stories behind the food, straight from the people of Jamaica. So, get your ingredients, turn on a likkle music, and let's get cooking!

Yummmm-my.  Those plantain fritters/burgers were served for dinner last night to thunderous applause - seriously! They were so good. I am from a different South London but this book would be a hit in so many kitchens. The principal of EAT - Easy, Accessible and Tasty is brilliant no matter who you are - but I don't exactly keep saltfish and akee in my larder, for sure.  I like that the recipes were easily adaptable and toned-down for people who don't like the HEAT of scotch bonnets peppers, et al. The authors were funny, too - it was an enjoyable read and if you know anyone who loves Roti, this is a perfect book for them.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "Social Influencer Millennials" on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it some snow goggles (for that famous Cool Runnings movie!)  🥽🥽🥽🥽🥽
I'm not sure what happened, but I had 12 pages of the book in the download.

I did however find a recipe for fish that I DESPERATELY want to try
I was given a sample of this book by NetGalley and the publishers in return for my honest review.

The sample book I received had gorgeous photos, the recipes were clear and easy to follow and also full of ingredients that are easy to obtain. I particularly liked the Chana recipe and the Honey Roasted Jerk Spiced Salmon is perfect for BBQ season, and I can't miss out the rum cocktails.

This recipe book will bring a bit of sunshine and warmth to your kitchen.
Even the sampler I was able to read hinted at meals to be eaten, or drunk, in a relaxed vibrant atmosphere amongst friends and family. I am a bit of a wimp however so I think I would have to replace the Scotch Bonnet chillies in some of the recipes with something far milder!

The information about each recipe was very interesting and I will definitely try some of them. I didn't see any ingredients in this shorter version which were difficult to source and many I have already.  My son, who has Jamaican friends, loves goat curry so maybe I can surprise him and make my own version!

I was able to read a sample copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys cuisine from around the world that have a tale to tell.
This isn't the kind of cuisine I cook often, but Original Flava makes it so that anyone can cook Caribbean food! The recipes are really easy to follow with simple instructions and a quick introduction so you can actually spend time cooking, rather than reading. The casual voice that the book is written it makes it feel like you’re reading a recipe jotted down by a friend. The photography is bright and appetising too.

I tried the pumpkin rice (with butternut squash instead of pumpkin, as suggested) and the plantain and chickpea curry, but I’ve already got my eye on a couple of other recipes that I want to try soon - the drinks look especially delicious and perfect for summer!

The butternut squash rice isn’t too far from what I would normally cook, but it added a couple of ingredients that I wouldn’t have thought of that really elevated it from a boring rice dish to something full of flavour, that can stand on its own or work as a side for a curry dish. I cook curries a lot, and often with chickpeas, but I’d never cooked with plantain before, so that recipe was really fun to try and turned out delicious.

A lot of the recipes (in the sample of the book I received, at least) use scotch bonnet peppers but I swapped these out for something a little less hot and the recipes still tasted delicious.

I’d definitely recommend this for people who like their food with a kick and are keen to try something new and full of flavour!
From the sampler of this cookbook, I can tell it's going to be a real hit with fans of Jamaican food - or anyone who loves big bold flavours! Though I am pescetarian, even the meat-based recipes looked amazing! I loved the range of recipes in the sampler - I will definitely be trying out the salmon and I've made the chickpea and plantain curry which was delicious and surprisingly simple to make - the recipe didn't call for loads of random ingredients so it was just right for an evening meal during the week!
The book had real character and I'd definitely like to read the full version because, if this sampler is anything to go by, it will be packed full of tasty and, very importantly, fairly simple recipes which really pack a punch, flavour-wise.
This is a lovely, vibrant, colourful and feel good cookbook from the South London brothers, Craig and Shaun McAnuff, a collection of tasty recipes from Jamaica and the Caribbean, influenced by different cultural food traditions present in the region. The dishes celebrate food teeming with flavours, and the McAnuff brothers present the beautifully illustrated cookbook with style, verve, fun, and heartwarming attitude. The recipes have simple straightforward instructions that make them incredibly easy to follow for anyone. The recipes that caught my attention were vegetarian as I am one, such as the authentically Jamaican Pumpkin Rice, the Indian and Trinidadian Rotis and the flatbread, Doubles, Chickpea Curry to have with them, and the Plantain and Chickpea Curry. Meat and fish eaters are well catered for with the likes of Goat Curry and Honey Roasted Jerk Salmon. For those seeking that sunshine feel of the Caribbean, there are a range of drinks, such as the traditional Rum Punch, Blue Electric Bolt and Ginger Spice-It-Up Punch. Many thanks to Bloomsbury for an ARC.
This book has some amazing recipes that I think I could even cook and I'm not that great. I can't wait to try the banana fritter cheesecake if I can do that then my children will me amazed. (as will I ) A variety of recipes for both the meat eaters and vegetarians. Im vegetarian and there's plenty to have a go at making. So as the say get the book, get the music on and bring a little bit of sunshine and flava into your kitchen.
Nothing original or new. Seen most recipes in this book elsewhere. A mishmash of various dishes and cuisines, this makes a rather uneventful book.
I love Caribbean food ,so was pleased to find this book.Some cracking recipes, and I especially love the vegan/vegetarian recipes,nice to see them included.Thanks to the publishers and netgalley for an ARC.
Really enjoyed the taster from this tasty cookbook. Left my mouth watering for more recipes - just what you need from a good cookbook. I will be attempting several of the recipes from the sample and can't wait for the full book so I can try more!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with this sample.
Enjoyed this one.  The food photography is both lovely to look and feels achievable if you've never tried your hand at Caribbean recipes before.  I particularly liked the layout which is easy to follow, not to mention personable without tangenting.

Also thought it was a nice touch - not to mention thoughtful - to include substitute ingredients within the recipes themselves, think some novice cooks delving into the world of Caribbean cooking for the first time will appreciate it.

Really liked this book at lot. Nice balance of food groups, so they'll likely be something for everyone.

Recommended.

With thanks to Netgalley and Bloomsbury for the ARC.
Are you looking to spice up your life and your kitchen?

Look no further! Craig and Shaun have created a wonderful cooking book full of color! The recipes are all easy to follow and every single one of time is just waiting to be tried out.

This book has inspired me so much, that I will actually try to  make Garlic butter lobster this weekend!!!

Buy this book! It is amazing!
This book looks so yummy! The pictures are mouthwatering and it looks like really easy recipes to follow, which when trying a new cuisine is a must! I can not wait to try this recipes out on family and friends, a super feast!