Cover Image: Dead to Her

Dead to Her

My thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for a copy of “Dead To Her “ for an honest review.

I had previously read ,and enjoyed , Before  Her Eyes” by Sarah Pinborough so I was intrigued i her latest release.
Unfortunately this book just didn’t work for me .I didn’t like where it was set and I found all the characters were hard to like, and I couldn’t really empathise with any of them.
I’m sure the problem just lies with me as I can see  that others really like this book so I’ve given it an average score to show this.
Please note that this book is not for me - I have read the book, However I had to DNF and because i do not like to give negative reviews I will not review this book fully - there is no specific reason for not liking this book. I found it a struggle to read and did not enjoy trying to force myself to read this book.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and thank you for the opportunity to read this book
I really enjoyed this book. Thought it was a great look at modern relationships and I didn't predict the ending.
Loved this one! So easy to read and lots of twists and turns along the way. Definitely a quick read and one I recommend.
This was an interesting read. I had so many different thoughts throughout and kept swaying between what I thought was going to happen - I got it all wrong so I guess that’s the sign of a good book!
Much as I enjoyed the premise of this book it unfortunately did not deliver for me personally. I do like a story with a supernatural element but Dead To Her didn't quite carry it off. The cover and the blurb don't match the story that you get either - throw some voodoo dolls on there somewhere.
Marriage can be murder…

SOMETHING OLD
Marcie’s affair with Jason Maddox catapulted her into the world of the elite. Old money, old ties, old secrets. Marcie may have married into this world — but she’ll never be part of it.

SOMETHING NEW
Then Jason’s boss brings back a new wife from his trip to London. Young, attractive, reckless — nobody can take their eyes off Keisha. Including Marcie’s husband.

SOMETHING YOU CAN NEVER, EVER UNDO…
Some people would kill for the life Marcie has—what will she do to keep it?
A very interesting and captivating book
I highly recommend for everybody. Thanks a lot  netgalley
A mystery set in Savannah Georgia where the wealth of the country club wives contrasts with elements of black magic. I enjoyed the authors previous novel Behind Her Eyes but this one did not have the same edge, too slow in its pace for example. Three stars.
I really did not enjoy this book. The first portion of the book was slow-moving but I was interested in the story and was curious to see what direction the story was going to go in. I thought the story had a lot of potential but it soon got weird and I lost interest. There was a voodoo element that felt off and didn't seem to match with the rest of the story.

There were some plot points that were introduced and I thought were going to play a part in the reveal but they were never mentioned again. Then some of the plot twists seemed to come out of nowhere which can be a good thing but in this book they didn't work

Overall I didn't enjoy this book at all. The story went in a direction that I was not expecting and I didn't like.
Honestly Sarah is a fabulous writer who hooks me instantly with her novels. She creates scandal and thrill effortlessly. Similar vibe to Behind her Eyes, i enjoyed the twists and turns and if jealousy will defeat Marcie.
This story is set in a wealthy area of Georgia. Typically, the residents are members of exclusive country clubs and are very cliquey and bitchy.

William Redford is widowed and very wealthy, he's returned from a holiday in Europe with a very young woman he's married within months of meeting. She's only married him for his money and is hopeful he'll die soon.
Marcie is married to Jason, who works for William. She had much more humble beginnings until her affair and marriage to Jason. Now she has lots of money to spend as she pleases.

Not much really goes on in the first half of the book, Marcie is worried Jason is cheating on her, and everyone is trying to suss out the new, very young, wife.
In the last quarter of the book, the story picks up a bit but I never found it to be tense or thrilling, it always seemed to drag on a bit.
There is mention of voodoo throughout the story, and the new wife thinks she is cursed. This was something different in the story and I didn't expect it.

There are quite a lot of characters but not so many main ones, so it wasn't too confusing to keep track of what was going on.
The characters were all so unlikeable I just couldn't relate to them at all, that could be why I found the book a bit boring and lacking tension or thrill.

The author does attempt to throw in a few twists, but in my view they were really far fetched and a bit ridiculous.

I also found the constant, badly described sex scenes a bit unappealing and unnecessary.

Overall, I had expected to really enjoy this book but unfortunately I didn't enjoy it that much. Horrible characters and a far fetched plot and ending let it down for me.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for a copy of this book for review.
It was my first time reading one of Sarah Pinborough's books and I must say… I am amazed.

In my opinion, the book a ‘drama-filled mystery’ rather than a thriller. Although the voodoo theme didn’t really work for me but the setting and the characters made up for it.

The book is full of twists, turns and surprises. Very well written and joyous to read. However, I should say that the ending wasn’t as interesting as I’d expected… it had a typical and predictable ending, which is a shame given that the book did have many twists and turns.
The premise of this book was exciting but ultimately I felt a little bit let down.

Dead to Her follows Marcie Maddox, socialite and devoted wife. Her husband's boss remarries a much younger woman who gets Marcie's husband's full attention. What will Marcie do to protect her marriage and elite status?

This book was compelling to read and full of interesting characters. Was I satisfied with the ending? Nope. I guessed who the main culprit was halfway through and was a bit annoyed to realise I'd been right all along!
“Money, sex and power are the father, the son and the holy ghost of life, honey. Always remember that. And women can get all three if they’re not stupid. So don’t be stupid.”

Marcie, Iris and Virginia make up the trio of devoted wives who reside in Savannah, Georgia. They are subservient, charitable and indulgent, content in resting on the fortune of their wealthy husbands and wasting their days lounging and drinking champagne at the Country Club.

“What else was there to do but bitch, judge and gossip about one another between charity events.”

In London, a world away from the decadence of mansions and afternoon tea, Keisha seduces William Radford IV whilst he mourns the loss of his late wife. Despite a generational age gap, William’s pockets run deep and he welcomes Keisha back to Savannah as the replacement of the late Mrs William Radford IV. He has a beautiful black British bride, and she has an insuperable inheritance within reaching distance. The only problem? Mr Radford must die before she can touch it.

The repulsion between the newly weds is blaringly apparent and Keisha quickly becomes bored, looking to Marcie’s gorgeous husband, Jason, for entertainment. Jason, who is only too happy to oblige, withdraws from Marcie and marital cracks begin to show.

So consumed with sabotaging one another, when Marcie and Keisha eventually put aside their differences they realise they have the same desires. When appearances and reputation are everything, how far will Marcie and Keisha go to avenge their husbands and walk away with their fortunes?

Voodoo, dark secrets, ghosts from the past, a wild night of juju and the remains of a dead cat all point to a cold-blooded murder right there in Savannah, but with so many people wanting vengeance, who’s to blame?

A plucky twisty who-dun-it that had me shocked – completely unputdownable!

Sarah Pinborough has a genius way of telling a story and then usurping everything you thought you could trust. A brilliant murder mystery with so much at stake, set amongst the social elite and shining a light on white privilege.

Raunchy, egotistical and full of sabotage, ‘Dead to Her’ sits amongst the very top of its genre. A sure favourite of 2020.
Something old... something new... something you can never undo...

I started Dead to Her not knowing what to expect, but not sure I was going to enjoy it, set in the Southern States as it is (note - I have nothing against the Southern states but I just don’t know enough about the places to picture them). Boy was I wrong!

When elderly widowed millionaire returns from his grief trip to Europe with a beautiful, British and YOUNG new wife, his social set of friends are surprised but welcome her tentatively into the fold. All except Marcie, herself a younger second wife, who isn’t sure of either the newcomer or her husband’s intentions...

A bit of a slow burn until we get to the Whodunnit crime, but with regular breadcrumbs of secrets along the way, this book is an absolute rollercoaster of twists and turns. You think you’ve worked out whodunnit... and then you think you’ve worked out whodunnit... and then when you DO find out, you won’t believe you missed it.

Bestselling author Sarah Pinborough keeps the twists coming right up until the very last sentence, and you are left wanting more. Intrigue, affairs, secrets, voodoo and just what lengths a person will go to for social status are all mixed up in this page-turner of a novel ideal for fans of Claire Mackintosh et al.

A thrilling and twisty book, perfect for fans of The Guest List and the Liane Moriarty books! Unputdownable, character driven thriller. Brilliant!
This was such a great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, i was hooked from the first page, great storyline and loads of twists and turns , highly recommend this book x
When the newly widowed William returns home from abroad with a new, very much younger, beautiful English wife, he sets off some huge ripples in the Savannah pond.  What can impoverished Keisha see in elderly but wealthy William!  Full of unlikeable characters, all with hidden agendas, barbs wrapped in saccharine, hilarious put downs - fantastic.  Loved the descriptions of Savannah, the way everyone had their parts to play depending how high up the social chain they were.  A great gift for Christmas or any other time!
A little voodoo meets Housewives of New Orleans. Not a bad storyline but dragged on a little too much for me with an underwhelming ending. I found all the characters vapid and unlikeable.
Cracking storyline that I really didn't want to end. I ended up taking ages to read it so it would last that little bit longer