The Young Explorer's Adventure Guide, Volume 6

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Nov 2019

It’s rare that an anthology doesn’t contain a single dud, but Dreaming Robots editors Sean and Corie Weaver have accomplished that with this eclectic anthology of science-fiction short stories. Contributors range from Nebula and Hugo Awards winner Nancy Kress, who kicked off last year’s anthology as well as this one, to relative newcomers.

The entries range from the offbeat “A Planet Named Beatrice” by Melanie Harding-Shaw to the sweet “I Guess I’m a Lucky So-and-So” by debut novelist Deborah Walker to the disquieting “Fishbowl” by A. Katherine Black. My favorites have to be “Just: A Tale of the Jitney” by J.L. Bell, which contains a mystery worthy of a Golden Age novelist; the bittersweet “If You Find This, Please Give It to Gretchen Doheny” by playwright Elise Forier Edie, and the humorous “Mad Dad” by William B. Wolfe, which reminds me slightly of Inspector Gadget. (It would make a fine tween graphic novel or cartoon.)

In the interest of full disclosure, I received this book from NetGalley and Dreaming Robot Press in exchange for an honest review.
I think young readers will really enjoy this book. The stories in this collection are very well written and hold your attention.
A very solid collection obviously aimed at young people, but can be enjoyed by all ages. Good variety and length, and includes some top-notch authors. Recommended.

I really appreciate the review copy!!