A Little Bit Different

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Oct 2019

This is an extremely simple story, almost wordless based on the few sentences and text on the pages. The Ploofs are round creatures, similar to a balloon with the air thing on the top. They all let out a ploof that looks like a black cloud. Then one of them starts to let off colours and they get upset because he is doing something different, so they snub him. When one ploof likes the colours they go back and confront the others and they all start letting off different colours. I am assuming the lesson is about accepting others who are different, but if they could all blow off colours, how was he/she really different. It seems to me that it is more about following what others are doing even when it is stifling who you are. Saying that, my grandchildren were not impressed with this book. I think in a classroom setting where the discussion is about not following others blindly and allowing yourself to show your talents, then it could be a useful book.
This is the story of a ploofer who is a little bit different to all the other ploofers. Ploofers (I love this word and I’m going to use it as many times as possible in this review!) look like… well, little grey blobs best described by the word “ploofer”! The ploofers are all lined up and practising a synchronised “ploof”. Except one little ploofer goes… shoof! When the other ploofers all turn their backs on him, will he be able to find anyone who will embrace his uniqueness and help the others see the beauty in accepting everyone for who they are?

This book starts with all the ploofers lined up, practising, all looking fairly similar. But then… SHOOF! I love how Claire has used colour to bring across the message of difference. There is something so magical about the simple and elegant way Claire has been able to portray such a complex and important issue.

Like its title, this picture book is a little bit different, but in a very good way! Claire is a wonderful picture book author and illustrator, but what I particularly love about this story, is that by using minimal words and repeated imagery in the illustrations, Claire has produced a poignant and powerful message of friendship, hope and acceptance, that will resonate with very young children. There are lots of lovely picture books out there on this important topic, but this one in particular can reach the younger end of the picture book market, which I think is wonderful. Ploofer, ploofer, ploofer!

I am very grateful to the publisher for providing me with an advanced digital copy via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

**Link to be updated**
A simple picture book talking about being different and acceptance. It is good and it delivers the message, but I was kinda hoping for a little bit something more to make it memorable.

Still a nice picture book.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a cute book, the illustrations were adorable and the message is an important one for kids to hear.
This was an adorable little book that centers on community through a story about tiny gray cartoons named ploofers. The ploofers do lots of tricks together, but they are disturbed when one particular ploofer "ploofs" up a rainbow. I found this to be a great metaphor to address issues of differences with children. I also wish I had access to the tactile part of this book ("ploofs") because it sounds intriguing and fun!

I recommend this book to all who want to teach young children about respect and individuality. We're all "A Little Bit Different" and it's beautiful!
This is a very cute, simple book about being different. But it actually doesn’t make much sense to me. We have these little characters that push out black colour from their heads (imagine an ink cloud). And one that pushes out a rainbow of colours. Others make fun of him, he finds a friend who loves the colours and eventually goes back to the others to stand up to them.
All good right? Right.
But then suddenly the others start pushing out other colours besides black. So my question is could they always choose their colours? Why didn’t the rainbow one know this?
Mostly I’m confused because to me this says that all you need to do is change or make others like you to be accepted. The problem is that isn’t always possible. I can imagine a child reading this (or having it read to them) and asking a parent about changing their skin colour, height, or other attribute that can’t be changed.
A much better story would end with the others accepting our rainbow character for who they are and it all being okay.
For this reason I just can’t endorse this book. Maybe I missed the point or something, I dunno. But I read it three times (and it’s not that complex) and can’t get over the message.
It actually made me think of the movie Grease where Sally changes her entire look and attitude at the end of the movie in order to be accepted. It’s actually not a great outcome when you think about it. Wouldn’t it be so much better for us all to accept each other as we are?

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – words & pictures for A Little Bit Different by Claire Alexander.  This is a story about Ploofers who always do the same thing until one little adventurous Ploofer tries something new…  Really cute and fun read about being unique.  Recommended for a quick read with a moral.
This book is adorable! Had me smiling (almost) all the way through! It's definitely 'different', I absolutely love the concept and the message this gives children about not being afraid to be different. Being different makes you special. The illustrations are oh so cute, love it.
Adorable. Great for teaching about how it’s cool to be different. Illustrations are lovely too. Can’t wait to share this with my class.
This children’s picture book is so very adorable. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of the Ploofers are, but they’re easy to look at and enjoy, and I found the art style was so simplistic and wonderful.

At first, the Ploofers reject the colourful ploof that Shoof emits. But then one ploofer sees the colours and is amazed by it.

This story shows a very lovely way that different doesn’t have to be bad or ‘wrong’, but it can be different and still be enjoyable.

I think this will be a lovely picture book for young children to read and enjoy.

4/5 stars
This is a lovely and very simple children's book promoting the beauty of difference. The illustrations are sweet and simple and colorful at times. A great addition for little ones!
'A Little Bit Different' with words and pictures by Claire Alexander is an allegory about accepting those who are different.

The ploofers are creatures that look like balloons.  They have been practicing something they all want to do together.  When one of the ploofers does something different, no one knows how to react.  That ploofer is left on the outside, until someone else comes along and encourages everyone to accept the difference.

This book works well for small children to help them understand that it's ok for others to be different, and it does it in, I think, a pretty accessible way.  The illustrations are a bit simple, but they get the truth of the story across well.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group - words & pictures, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
This book is an awesome play on differences that is simple enough that even a kindergarten teacher could read it to her students. I do not like how dull the colors are on the pages but I can see why they are presented this way.
Firstly, let's get the fact that the Ploofers are extremely cute and that the book itself is worth owning from that point alone. I have read a LOT of books now about being different and using colour to depict this difference. Red: A Crayon's Story springs to mind but Alexander's is just a little more open to interpretation and gentle in its telling.

All Ploofers ploof out grey clouds and they're happy with this but one Ploofer is different. When they ploof, something other than grey comes out. This little Ploofer is proud of what they make but their companions are not so sure. A Little bit Different leaves a lot to interpretation. Whilst deceptively simple, its openness means that it can have multiple interpretations and is there for each young reader to interpret. Whatever the case it tells us that we should all embrace and welcome difference
This book is very simple. It doesn’t pick out race, religion or language. Just we can all be a little but different and that’s ok. Told in a very simple way that even the youngest child can understand. Lots of opportunities to talk to the child whilst reading. I want a ploofer.
It’s the sort of book that children would love to have a cuddly Ploofer to hold whilst reading this book at bedtime.
A really cute and quirky book with a heartwarming message. This would be a great book to read with young children but the message could be used to generate discussion with oder children.
A Little Bit Different
By Claire Alexander

I give this book five out of five birds. It is an adorable yet simple book that opens up a great discussion with young kids. It was short on words, but I think it hit the spot for the intended age. My two young daughters enjoyed talking about people’s differences and how we can support people in them. I love the art and the splashes of color throughout. It’s simple and should be read in schools!

Thanks Netgalley for the free advanced copy in exchange for my honest review!

#amreading #mrsbirdswords #booklover #Bibliophile #bookaddict #bookreccomendation #goodreads #fiction #bookshelf #booksofinstagram
#Netgalley #ALittleBitDifferent  #ClaireAlexander #ChildrensFiction
A Little Bit Different looks like a gorgeous story and I like how one of the characters wants to be different to the rest but I am unable to see the words and so it would be unfair to review the book fully when I can only guess what's going on. I will be happy to rewrite the review to a longer and more detailed one if the book is fixed.
Character Development:★★★☆☆
Since this was such a simple but beautifully written children’s story it does not take the reader too in-depth of any of the characters.

Flow of the Story:★★★★★
Easy to follow.

Illustrations: ★★★★☆
So cute I want to hug the small creatures of this cute children’s book.

Overall: The message in this book was what is so powerful. The illustrations and characters were simple but showcased the message of the story in a very understanding way that the story could be comprehended though all grades/ages. Claire crafted the perfect story to be read and discussed with any age group.
Very simple cute book about being different and how at first people don't like it or don't understand, but eventually they come around and understand it is special and amazing.  Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book.