Cover Image: A Little Bit Different

A Little Bit Different

After receiving an advanced digital review version, we added the physical book to our wishlist! My preschooler laughed OUT LOUD to this book. He loved the message and the illustrations.
I received a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This is a very cute picture book for children about how we are all different and that differences not only should be valued and understood but that we are all unique and individuals!
I adored this book. The illustrations are beautifully done and the book brings lots of opportunities for discussions with your child/or children.
I thought this book was really cute. The illustrations made me happy, and made me wish there was more to the story. The message of the book comes across without any words, but I do wish there had been some, just to bring a little something more to it. I am kind of confused as to what the poof stuff they created was. It seemed like they could change it if they wanted to, so it wasn't necessarily that the one that was using the different colors was necessarily physically different, he just chose to be.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Author: Claire Alexander
Publisher: Quarto Publishing Group
Publication Date: 17 Sep 2019
I'm living for these kids books with all the "I feel different and that's okay" messaging. Whether subtley lgbt, or just kids who feel outcast, however... this one fell a little flat for me.
A light and fun story depicting the journey from ignorance to acceptance and celebration. A Little Bit Different by Clare Alexander is a beautiful story exploring acceptance and joy in being different.

Meet the ploofers. The ploofers have been practicing something special which they all want to do at the exact same time—but wait! What’s that? One of them does something different! When one little ploofer goes against the usual flow of things, the rest of them turn their backs on him. But all it takes is for one person to recognize the beauty in being different to spark a change in the attitude of everyone.

With simple and striking illustrations, A Little bit Different is a joyful reading experience for both you and your child, with the opportunity to spark more meaningful discussions about people's differences and how we accept and value them.

This book reminds me of Pancakes for Breakfast and other wordless and other books with minimal words. The message behind the book is very reminiscent of "Zero" or "One", both of which were books with amazing messages.  It is geared towards younger children (I would say 8 and younger) and helps them to understand/grasp that people are different, and no matter how different we are, that it is okay.

For adults who are reading this story or sharing it with young children, I could understand the criticism that it is "simple", however, in the same breath, it is a children's book. I would have enjoyed if there were a few age-appropriate examples of how we are all different, but I at the end of the day, I think this was still a great book, with a wonderful message.
My apologies for not reviewing this book. I was unable to download it before the archive date. I would in the future really like to read it
A light, fun read about learning to celebrate differences that balances playfulness with important lessons.
A Little Bit Different by Claire Alexander is a short children’s story that is meant to celebrate uniqueness of self and acknowledge differences. This book would be best for a board book reader, ages 2-4 in my opinion. The story follows the ploofers, creatures that look like balloons, as they work together to make a ploof of grey smoke. One ploofer does not make grey smoke, it makes rainbow ploofs. The other ploofers are initially scared and unaccepting of the ploofer that makes rainbow smoke, but with the encouragement of an accepting bread shaped ploofer, they start to recognize how special the rainbow ploof is. There is well intentioned nonsense in this book, but an excellent message at its heart. However, I would note that this book may not work in instilling a message for specific children, as the ploofers unintentionally look to be farting when they make ploof. And once your little reader likens ploof smoke to farts, this book cannot be anything else than a launching pad for preschool toilet jokes. If your reader does not make that connection, this will be a cute story to share with a toddler.
This is an extremely simple story, almost wordless based on the few sentences and text on the pages. The Ploofs are round creatures, similar to a balloon with the air thing on the top. They all let out a ploof that looks like a black cloud. Then one of them starts to let off colours and they get upset because he is doing something different, so they snub him. When one ploof likes the colours they go back and confront the others and they all start letting off different colours. I am assuming the lesson is about accepting others who are different, but if they could all blow off colours, how was he/she really different. It seems to me that it is more about following what others are doing even when it is stifling who you are. Saying that, my grandchildren were not impressed with this book. I think in a classroom setting where the discussion is about not following others blindly and allowing yourself to show your talents, then it could be a useful book.
This is the story of a ploofer who is a little bit different to all the other ploofers. Ploofers (I love this word and I’m going to use it as many times as possible in this review!) look like… well, little grey blobs best described by the word “ploofer”! The ploofers are all lined up and practising a synchronised “ploof”. Except one little ploofer goes… shoof! When the other ploofers all turn their backs on him, will he be able to find anyone who will embrace his uniqueness and help the others see the beauty in accepting everyone for who they are?

This book starts with all the ploofers lined up, practising, all looking fairly similar. But then… SHOOF! I love how Claire has used colour to bring across the message of difference. There is something so magical about the simple and elegant way Claire has been able to portray such a complex and important issue.

Like its title, this picture book is a little bit different, but in a very good way! Claire is a wonderful picture book author and illustrator, but what I particularly love about this story, is that by using minimal words and repeated imagery in the illustrations, Claire has produced a poignant and powerful message of friendship, hope and acceptance, that will resonate with very young children. There are lots of lovely picture books out there on this important topic, but this one in particular can reach the younger end of the picture book market, which I think is wonderful. Ploofer, ploofer, ploofer!

I am very grateful to the publisher for providing me with an advanced digital copy via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

**Link to be updated**
A simple picture book talking about being different and acceptance. It is good and it delivers the message, but I was kinda hoping for a little bit something more to make it memorable.

Still a nice picture book.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was such a cute book, the illustrations were adorable and the message is an important one for kids to hear.
This was an adorable little book that centers on community through a story about tiny gray cartoons named ploofers. The ploofers do lots of tricks together, but they are disturbed when one particular ploofer "ploofs" up a rainbow. I found this to be a great metaphor to address issues of differences with children. I also wish I had access to the tactile part of this book ("ploofs") because it sounds intriguing and fun!

I recommend this book to all who want to teach young children about respect and individuality. We're all "A Little Bit Different" and it's beautiful!
This is a very cute, simple book about being different. But it actually doesn’t make much sense to me. We have these little characters that push out black colour from their heads (imagine an ink cloud). And one that pushes out a rainbow of colours. Others make fun of him, he finds a friend who loves the colours and eventually goes back to the others to stand up to them.
All good right? Right.
But then suddenly the others start pushing out other colours besides black. So my question is could they always choose their colours? Why didn’t the rainbow one know this?
Mostly I’m confused because to me this says that all you need to do is change or make others like you to be accepted. The problem is that isn’t always possible. I can imagine a child reading this (or having it read to them) and asking a parent about changing their skin colour, height, or other attribute that can’t be changed.
A much better story would end with the others accepting our rainbow character for who they are and it all being okay.
For this reason I just can’t endorse this book. Maybe I missed the point or something, I dunno. But I read it three times (and it’s not that complex) and can’t get over the message.
It actually made me think of the movie Grease where Sally changes her entire look and attitude at the end of the movie in order to be accepted. It’s actually not a great outcome when you think about it. Wouldn’t it be so much better for us all to accept each other as we are?

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
Thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group – words & pictures for A Little Bit Different by Claire Alexander.  This is a story about Ploofers who always do the same thing until one little adventurous Ploofer tries something new…  Really cute and fun read about being unique.  Recommended for a quick read with a moral.
This book is adorable! Had me smiling (almost) all the way through! It's definitely 'different', I absolutely love the concept and the message this gives children about not being afraid to be different. Being different makes you special. The illustrations are oh so cute, love it.
Adorable. Great for teaching about how it’s cool to be different. Illustrations are lovely too. Can’t wait to share this with my class.
This children’s picture book is so very adorable. I’m not exactly sure what the purpose of the Ploofers are, but they’re easy to look at and enjoy, and I found the art style was so simplistic and wonderful.

At first, the Ploofers reject the colourful ploof that Shoof emits. But then one ploofer sees the colours and is amazed by it.

This story shows a very lovely way that different doesn’t have to be bad or ‘wrong’, but it can be different and still be enjoyable.

I think this will be a lovely picture book for young children to read and enjoy.

4/5 stars
This is a lovely and very simple children's book promoting the beauty of difference. The illustrations are sweet and simple and colorful at times. A great addition for little ones!
'A Little Bit Different' with words and pictures by Claire Alexander is an allegory about accepting those who are different.

The ploofers are creatures that look like balloons.  They have been practicing something they all want to do together.  When one of the ploofers does something different, no one knows how to react.  That ploofer is left on the outside, until someone else comes along and encourages everyone to accept the difference.

This book works well for small children to help them understand that it's ok for others to be different, and it does it in, I think, a pretty accessible way.  The illustrations are a bit simple, but they get the truth of the story across well.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group - words & pictures, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.