Poison

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Feb 2020

Although this could easily be read as a stand alone thriller this book forms part of a series with realistic and fantastically loveable, or dislikable characters.  Thrilling and hard to put down, you just want to keep reading to see what happens.  Need more of this series.  A must buy.  Excellent as expected from Ms Rose.
It’s a bright sunny day, the spring is almost here. I hope you are having a great time. Today is my stop of one terrific blog tour and I am reviewing one very gripping gangland crime thriller,  written by Jacqui Rose. It is second book in the series and my first book from this author. I had no problem reading it as a stand-alone book. It is one very creepy, gangland story that left me sleepless till the last page. I really liked it! Many thanks to lovely Sanjana and the amazing team at Avon Books UK for the chance to be part of this blog tour. Don’t forget to visit all the other stops of this amazing blog tour! Enjoy!

Franny Doyle is in prison for the crime she didn’t commit. Her love Alfie is an alcoholic who owns a lot of money to the wrong people. Vaughn is trying to get Alfie back on the right road, doing same for young Shannon who is abused by her uncle Charlie. He also gives false testimony to put Franny in prison and convinces Shannon to do the same. The police officer Balantyne hates his life and his marriage and tries to get  away from it. Alfie needs money, Franny needs to get out of prison, Shannon needs protection from her uncle. Every person will do anything to get what they want. One way or another.

The person I hated the most: Charlie! I could literally kill that guy. Abusing your own niece, abusing a child! I hated him so much!

The person I felt sorry for: Shannon! There were moments when I despised her for her weakness. ” Call help, girl! You do have someone to protect you! You are not alone! Fight! ”

It was hard for me to get into the characters at the beginning, but page after page, I got into the story. It is not a kind of thriller that I am usually used to, but overall, I liked it! I liked how the gangland net was made, I liked the way characters were created. It is a great crime story and I’ll be in search for book number one very soon. And I hope that there will be book number three.
I had never heard of this series. Though this is part of a series of can be read as a stand alone. Warning though - once you read this book you will want to read the series.
Jacqui Rose rivals Martina Cole and Kimberley Chambers with her electrifying gangland thrillers and she is back with Poison, a nerve-twisting and heart-racing read that is so gripping and captivating, putting it down is simply not an option.

In the criminal underworld, loyalty means everything. It is the one guiding principle that underpins this dark and dangerous world where it is every man for himself and where the number one rule is that you never grass anyone up – even if it’s someone you loathe and despise more than anything and anyone in the world. This is the commandment which everyone obeys and respects, but when this golden rule is broken, trust is shattered and the gloves come off. When Vaughn Sadler had decided to speak up, his testimony had sent Franny Doyle down. But if Vaughn thought that Franny being behind bars would be the end of the matter, then he was sadly mistaken because he has just kickstarted a cruel and vicious game of revenge, vengeance and murder!

Franny may be down, but she is certainly not out. A woman who never backs down from a fight, she is determined to use all the time she has on her hands to ensure that the people who have done her wrong pay for this most heinous of transgressions. With plenty of scores to settle, Franny will start with Vaughn, but she will not stop there. Every single person who has betrayed her is going to pay and although she is behind bars, she will not stop until they have not just paid, but suffered for what they’ve done to her.

The bad blood that was pumping through her veins before has just been replaced by the most lethal of poisons and Franny is about to use every weapon in her arsenal to emerge victorious in this most insidious of battles.

Jacqui Rose is at her phenomenal best with this terrifying thriller you just have to read in a single sitting. Poison is a fast-paced, brilliantly plotted and densely written chiller that will make you jump out of your skin and keep you hooked from the first page until the very last sentence. Tense, sinister and chilling, Poison is another first class thriller from the fabulous Jacqui Rose
Another brilliant book by one of my favourite authors. Amazing, tense, a gangland thriller at its best.
5☆ Unputdownable Ganglit Crime Thriller!

Wow oh wow is this book Utterly Gripping! I devoured it in 2 nights and that was only because i had to sleep!

I'm a huge fan of Jacqui Rose and Poison is my favourite book so far in the series!
If you haven't yet read the other books then this can be a standalone as things do get explained. But in my opinion you at least need to read the previous two books as alot has happened.
Plus the characters are so good once you read one you will want to read the rest! Can't wait to read more!

Poison is full of Secrets, revenge, trust issues, underhanded tactics, prison bullying, a ruthless loan shark, a corrupt copper, a perverted and sicko uncle out for revenge ,seriously Poison has it all and i loved it!

I don't want to go into detail incase your yet to read the previous books, but as you can see by my summary it's brutal, gripping, gritty, not necessarily for the feint hearted and revenge is the main plot and boy is it juicy!

All the characters are back, once again I love the dynamics of these Characters.
Alfie just can't keep away from Franny she's like an enigma to him.
Shannon is the one who yet again suffered the most in this story and my heart breaks for her. Everyone thinks that they are looking out for her, yet they just keep using her for their own gains.

I loved the ending!! Yes Jacqui thank you for making that ending. 🙊 eek! I am eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

There is nothing more to say except I can't recommend reading this intoxicating, highly Compelling, Gritty, Gang-lit Series Enough.
Jacqui Rose is a superb and extremely talented Author and her books are not to be missed, especially if you enjoy Crime Fiction, Gang lit books.
Poison is the fourth book in a series written by Jacqui Rose. Although, I hadn't appreciated this when I started to read, it did not make a difference to reading it as a stand alone book. But I won't hesitate to research and read the rest in the series.
Why you may wonder. Because Jacqui Rose has a style of writing that is absolutely captivating, and truly addictive. I lost some sleep sitting up reading this but my "book sleep deprivation" was worth it.
The story is set around the life of criminals "gangland" London. Not my usual type of book I read but one I enjoyed.
There are Several characters, all of whom you get to know quickly. The three main characters are Franny, Vaughn and Alfie.
First there is Franny, who is in prison awaiting a court date, for a crime that she is not guilty of committing. Because of this her only agenda is revenge and she is determine to achieve it.
Vaughn who wants to support Alfie. The latter is out of control with drugs and alcohol. He owes money and is attacked, whilst his daughter (Shannon) is in the house. With Alfie's laissez fairs attitude Vaughn takes Shannnon into his care. Queue Shannon falling for him, but Vaughn gives her nothing other than turning her life upside down and which becomes nothing but a living hell for her.
He has managed to talk Shannon into supporting Franny with him. With Shannon welcoming the attention, she is more than happy to help him and show him what she can do. After all he is her love interest and I got the feeling she would do anything to impress him.
There is so much that goes on within the +400 pages of the cover pages. So many different characters, different lives but all intertwined.
I found myself holding my breath in places, I really didn't have time to second guess the plot. My mind was well and truly absorbed.
Thank you to Avon, their publishing team and Jacqui for our advanced copy and invite to join the blog tour. The first book I've read by author Jacqui Rose and it won't be my last...
I rarely read gangland fiction but I’ve read a couple of the author’s books before and really enjoyed them. Poison was no exception. This is a cracking read. Franny is a great character, a bad ass but she has a softer side as well. I plan to read the earlier book because I find her fascinating and want to find out more about her. Poison isn’t just Franny’s story of being stitched up. The book covers several arcs’ including Shannon, a young mother junkie mother, struggling to find happiness when her sexually abusive uncle turns up and threatens the fragile life she’s built. There’s also Vaughn’s story, Shannon’s lover and the reason he’s set Franny up and not forgetting Franny’s lover Alfie caught in the middle of the whole mess. The book fairly rattled along and once I got started I found it hard to put down. Highly recommended.
I have read a few of this series by Jacqui Rose, think I may have missed one? but despite this i found it easy to pick up the thread.

It was nice to check in and update myself with some familiar characters having said this it didn't grip me as much as the previous books have, it felt milder in comparison and found some of the book repetitive which made it harder for me to engage,
Another chapter in the Essex ganglit saga, featuring Franny, Alfie and Vaughn.  I've read another book in this gritty gangland crime series, so I am familiar with the recurring characters and some of their history. Although, this can be read as a standalone, its best to read the previous books in the series to appreciate the dynamics and relationships between the three characters.

As problems with the organised crime business mount up, everyone is on the defensive, and soon the previous allies become enemies when Vaughn turns Franny into the police, for a crime she didn't commit. Franny is consumed with vitriol and vows revenge, from her prison cell.

Complex characters, heinous crimes and serious trust issues, make Poison an addictive book. The story is absorbing, character-driven and fast-paced. One not to be missed if you are a devotee of ganglit.

I received a copy of this book from Avon Books UK via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Great story telling with great characters. Jacqui has a way of drawing you in to the action. Always looking forward to her next book.
Being a big fan of thrillers, this author has intrigued me for a while now.  She has written quite a few novels now but this one really intrigued me both for the reason that it seemed more character driven then plot driven and becuase it is based on criminals, which is not normally the style of novel that I would pick up and I wanted to push those limits.

I have to say that, for me, my expectations were right.  The best part of this novel were the characters.  You have quite a few interesting ones in this novel.  You have Franny who is in jail convicted for the murder of a person, which she may or may not have done.  You see how she is adjusting to live in prison and how she interacts with other prisoners, including the most difficult and nasty ones.  You then have Vaughn and Alfie who are on the outside and one of them may have had knowledge of Franny's conviction and had a hand in getting her there.   You also have Shannon who was my favourite character in this novel.  She is a young lady/late teenager who is taken under the wing of Vaugn who tries to look after her.   But her past keeps following her and not letting go. It was very interesting to see her try and navigate those difficulties and try and find a path that will lead her out of misery.

This was such an enjoyable ride and I will definitely be picking up more from this author in the future.
Now, here is an author that just gets better and better every book she writes. So when Poison by Jacqui Rose came out I had to find a quiet spot in my garden and open my kindle and start to read Jacqui's latest instalment of Franny, Alfie and Vaughan series, and it did not disappoint! It was Brilliant!

This latest book was gritty, fast pace and full of actions with lots of twists and turns throughout. Its all you want for a great book. Plus, with a OMG ending!

I am looking forward to the next instalment to Franny, Alfie and Vaughan series to see what happens.

I highly recommend this latest book and 5 big fat stars for Poison! Brilliant read!

Big Thank you to Avon on Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Reading this book, I found that I had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I enjoyed reading a different sort of crime drama novel, relishing in the gangster environment of London. However, at times I found the plot rather drab and slow; there were elements that I really enjoyed but they did not appear often enough.

The two brothers, Alfie and Vaughn, were not my favourite. They are quite “rough and ready” which I did not have an issue with. However, they seem slaves to Franny, and Vaughn in particular was portrayed as rather naive when dealing with the Shannon storyline. I expected a bit more from them, in all honesty.

On the other hand, Franny, Emma and Claire are all such strong women. They are the antithesis of the men and it was their stories that I enjoyed the most. Indeed, when the Detective is pulled into this plot thread, there were times when I was literally gasping with disbelief from the pages. In this case, this is what made the novel most enjoyable, but instead I felt weighted down by the brothers and also Shannon’s behaviour.

I understand that Shannon is a victim of circumstances however, I was frustrated by her weaknesses. She is a slave to her uncle and I found it uncomfortable when she appeared in the story. I was desperate for her to confide in Vaughn and disheartened when she felt she could not reveal the truth about what was happening in her bedroom. I guess I found it difficult to connect with her as a character and that made me react quite negatively towards her.

Indeed, there are some rather crude scenes in this story. With strong sexual references, I found my toes curling at some of the detail! It’s not necessarily overtly explicit, but the ideas suggested are a bit gross. Indeed, the images of Charlie wandering around Vaughan’s flat are ones that I definitely want to forget in a hurry.

I appreciated the novel’s title. ‘Poison’ can refer to so many things within this story, reflecting the layers of plot. For one thing, Detective Balantyne’s corruption spreads as circumstances do not go in his favour. For his wife, however, the poison is the alcoholism that leads her trapped by Balantyne’s wicked behaviour. Franny’s ‘poison’ reflects her desperation for revenge. It eats her from within and this is the same for many of the characters: several people in the novel are keen to settle business, with them staying as “clean” and blameless as possible.

Despite being mid-way through a series, this was one that I easily caught up on the background story. Although I did not wholly enjoy the story, there were enough elements that kept me interested enough to persevere. The ending was intriguing but I don’t think I would go out of my way to read the previous books, or discover what happens to the characters next. The pace certainly intensifies as the novel progresses. It was the final quarter that really piqued my interest, especially as the net was closing on Balantyne. Franny’s mastermind plans were admirable and I was keen to see how the story would conclude.

If you like gritty, gangster crime novels, then this should certainly appeal. However, I found some of the characters disappointing and lack-lustre, which did lessen my overall enjoyment.

With thanks to Netgalley and Avon books for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is the third time I read this author and I am never disappointed!

Well written like always.
I was into it from the start and didn't want to put it down.
The first chapter was one of my favorite in a long time and drew me in right away.  I love the dialogues, the way it is written, the raw language at times, the way you get into the story from page one and you don't have to wait for half the book for things to get moving!

I loved the storyline, the characters, the darkness, the prostitutes, the drugs, the crazyness, the arguing, the dialogues... ... ... the way it can be dark yet funny and weird...  I love Alfie.

I can't wait for the next one!

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

I really enjoyed this book, it was full of suspense and was a thrilling read, and I didn’t want it to end.  Some characters were likeable, others weren’t.  I’ve not read the previous books and will look to read them now.  And the ending ... wow, I’ll definitely be wanting to read the next book.   4 stars
I’m afraid I just couldn’t get into this book.  Having read other peoples reviews on this book, it appears that it’s a series and this is the 4th book. Therefore, I think I would need to go back and read the other books first for it all to make sense. As it does feel like I’ve turned up halfway through the plot and I have no idea what’s happening! This is my first book by this author and therefore the only reason for my rating.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Brilliant. Compelling read with dark, gritty characters. There is so much happening in this book and it is all very well written.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
Jacqui’s done it again, another gritty page turner. I highly recommend this series telling of the lives of gangsters Alfie, Vaughn and Franny. Who can you trust in their world? No one it seems, they all need eyes in the back of their heads as so called loved ones turn on each other. There is plenty of backstabbing double dealing going on in this book. I can’t wait for more hopefully Jacqui won’t leave us readers hanging for too long. A definite 5 star read.