Cover Image: Saving Missy

Saving Missy

It's great to be in a position to recommend much more diverse books to our young people at school. Building the senior school library as a place where students actually come and find books that they want to read as opposed to books that teachers think they ought to read is an important responsibility and one we take really seriously.
Books like this are such a positive move as they will appeal to a broader set of readers than we are usually attracting. Dealing with modern issues in a clear and captivating way with a strong narrative voice and characters that the students can relate to is critical as we move forwards. This book is both an intelligent and compelling read that will hold even the most reluctant reader's attention and keep them turning the pages long into the night. It keeps the reader on their toes and ensures that you give it your full attention too. I found myself thinking about its characters and events even when I wasn't reading it and looking forward to snatching kore time with it and I hope that my students feel the same. An accessible, gripping and engrossing read that I can't recommend highly enough. Will absolutely be buying a copy for the library and heartily recommending it to both staff and students.
A gorgeous little gem of a book, Saving Missy made me laugh and cry and, most of all, fall in love with Missy herself.

At times a very hard character to get attached to, Missy undergoes a wonderful development over the course of the book, and I was delighted to see her slowly let her defences down and open up to the possibility of real, loving human relationships. The side characters were for the most part charming and well-developed, with a few who came across as a bit two-dimensional for my taste.

I had some issues with the pacing, as some parts (especially towards the middle) felt just too slow and a bit like filler content, but overall this was an excellent, heartwarming book.
Missy Carmichael’s life has become small. Grieving for a family she has lost or lost touch with, she’s haunted by the echoes of her footsteps in her empty home; the sound of the radio in the dark; the tick-tick-tick of the watching clock. Spiky and defensive, Missy knows that her loneliness is all her own fault. She deserves no more than this; not after what she’s done. But a chance encounter in the park with two very different women opens the door to something new.

Told using flashbacks, Missy's life story is revealed. The pieces of her past help explain her current life and behaviour. Missy is hard to like, but the more of her that is revealed, the more I cared about her. Missy is lonely, but she slowly opens herself to new friendships. This story may be about an older character, but it is still a story about growth. As Missy becomes more comfortable with herself, she finds her way in the world again. A delightful contemporary. Bittersweet and emotional.

This is a first for me by the author and one I enjoyed and would read more of their work. The book cover is eye-catching and appealing and would spark my interest if in a bookshop. Thank you very much to the author, publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.

3.5/5.
A lovely story of how you can make new friends and restart your life even at the age of 79!  A very warm feelgood story, which having a dog I can appreciate as you do meet new people and start to chat when you are out walking.
Missy is 79, lonely and to the outside world a prickly old lady.
Her husband is no longer with her, her son lives in Australia and she has a strained relationship with her daughter.
Following an accident in her local park she is befriended by Sylvie and Angela, and thus begins the start of a beautiful friendship as she begins to let down her guard and open up to those around her.
Such a heart warming book about family, regrets, secrets, friendships and learning to smile again. I laughed and cried and I’d like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for this arc in exchange for an honest review.
While my request was pending I actually bought this book from amazon because I so wanted to read it.
At the start Missy, is quiet character who wishes to be invited to events and now with her new friends is the bell of the ball and growing in confidence and is repairing her relationship with her daughter Melanie.

A beautifully written story about new beginnings, the value of friendships and the companionship of dogs, ‘Saving Missy’ is an uplifting triumph of a debut that celebrates community kindness and second chances. It is such a beautiful well written story and one that made me shed a tear or two.

You can buy ‘Saving Missy’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops. Fully recommend and giving it a top ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating!
The book starts with us getting to know Millicent Carmichael, aged 79 – Missy for short. Missy lives alone with no friends and her family are based elsewhere. Missy seems very sad and leads a lonely and isolated life, but, not by her own choosing; she longs for her family and wants to have more to appreciate and enjoy in her life. She has a son and grandson in Australia, so far away, they don’t even share the same season, let alone time-zone, then there is her daughter who she hasn’t seen since ‘that conversation’ and her husband, Leo who isn’t around. Missy was so well described, I could really feel her emotions; her longing to be needed and wanted and her sadness that the days rolled over from one to the next without much to make the time pass by.

We follow Missy as she walks in the local park getting out and about more and beginning to make new friends, this doesn’t come very easily, much like I’m sure would be true to real life at this stage of life. When she is asked to dog-sit for a friend in need, Missy is reluctant at first and we see her stubborn and grumpy nature. Yet she gives in, throwing caution to the wind and decides she doesn’t care if her landlord minds and she takes in the dog. This gives a whole new meaning to her life, enabling her to have a reason for going out and meeting the regulars at the park, a talking point and company for her to enjoy.

As the story progresses we learn more about Missy and get to see more of her deeper character and her past which is quite well tucked away. Missy’s new friends take her under their wing and we see a whole new side to Missy, one in which she wants to enjoy life, make amends for the past and build bridges with her family. Missy and her friends go on little adventures which are heart-warming moments as Missy’s carefree nature is allowed to be set free. It isn’t too late for Missy, she’s only just embarking on this new chapter, with a whole new lease for life and friends to join in with her frolics.

I have wanted to read this book for so long and so this was the perfect opportunity; Saving Missy has been much talked about and I can see why. I found this a charming read, which took me through a whole range of emotions; showing me how much can change in the course of a year – in real life so very apparent to us all this last year. Things don’t have to stay as they are, we don’t have to be stuck in a rut, we can find ourselves and shape our future as we want it to be. An up-lifting, emotional read which left me feeling satisfied with how Missy had re-established her mojo for life.
This is a really touching, feelgood read that is perfect for settling down and devouring over the course of a weekend, a holiday, or a few evenings (or even in one sitting!) and will leave you with feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Although it was at times a little twee for me, Saving Missy is a sweet and gentle story that is well told. Whilst the plot and characters aren't breaking any new ground, fans of Libby Page and Rachel Joyce are sure to love this touching and heart-warming debut about found family, love, loss, and the value of friendship.
Saving Missy by Beth Morrey is a simply beautiful contemporary novel about love and friendship. It made me smile and it made me cry.
The leading lady is seventy eight. She has had her family but now she is alone. “Now there was just the echo of it [love] in this ramshackle old house.” There is a “crushing silence.” The reader can empathise with Missy who has known a busy house but now the walls are empty. Her life is shrinking. Her saviours come in the unlikely forms of two women, one boy and a dog.
It is beautiful to watch a life in the twilight years, bud, blossom and bloom again.
We all need friends. We all need to know our lives count.
Owning a dog for the first time, Missy’s reaction to clearing up after her dog makes the reader smile! Owning a dog expands her horizons as dog walkers are a friendly bunch. There is a beautiful bond with Missy and her dog which becomes stronger over time. Tissues will definitely be needed.
With love comes pain and hurt. A guilty secret threatens to sink a life. We can ‘feel’ the pain radiate through the pages as it travels down the years. The burden grows heavier not lighter with time.
The loss of a great love is tangible. The love and care of a community is beautiful to witness.
Saving Missy was a beautiful book. It is a book that swelled my heart with love. It is book that made me cry. It is a book where love lives.
I received this book for free. A favourable review was not required and all views expressed are my own.
Heartwarming tale of Missy and her road from loneliness and isolation into becoming parter of her wider community of interesting characters. Enjoyable.
This is a beautiful story of love and hope.
The main character was so warm and had such a kind heart.
The characters were so well developed but also had flaws.
An excellent debut novel
A heartwarming, well-written and thoroughly enjoyable read would definitely recommend and look forward to reading more by this author.
<i>Saving Missy</i> introduces us to Millicent (sometimes called Missy), a lonely almost-octogenarian dealing with loneliness now that she is without husband, children, and grandchildren. A chance encounter at the park throws her into the company of Angela, the filthy-mouthed single mother, Sylvie, an elegant interior designer, and Bob, a lovable female dog in need of a temporary home. All three of these characters (and an ever-expanding circle of friends) help Missy to let go of the past, come to terms with her present, and to take control of her future.

It's been a while since I had to demolish a book in a single sitting, but <i>Saving Missy</i> was one of those books for me. It's not a complex nor ground-breaking story, but the characters are all wonderfully lifelike - each one full of opinions, mistakes, kindnesses and unexpected complications. While much of the story slowly explores Missy's relationship with her husband and how it impacted on her relationships with her children, for me the true heart of the story was her growing friendship with Angela, the brash Irish journalist she at first take a strong dislike to, but who she gradually realises is more like herself than she ever would have believed on their first encounter.

The one sour note for me was (no spoilers!) something that occurs fairly close to the end of the book: such an obvious and clichéd moment that it made me angry even while it elicited the emotional reaction which I assume Beth Morrey wanted from me. In a book that already had me both crying and laughing it felt heavy-handed and unneeded.

Overall, however, I definitely enjoyed <i>Saving Missy</i>. It was wonderful to have a much older heroine, an intelligent and stubborn one whose 'happily ever after' wasn't quite the usual cookie cutter ending, and I'll be recommending the book to those of my friends who don't mind getting a little weepy.

An ARC was generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.
A little bit of a slow start and I kept putting it down thinking I won’t continue but I’m really glad that I did. Beautifully written , about family, love , loss and unlikely friendship, it’s an excellent read.
I came to this book late. The title didn't appeal, and I just didn't think it was for me. But I kept hearing people talking about it, so I thought I'd give it a try. And then I was sorry I'd left it so long.

What a lovely, warm, affirming story! And so gentle and unassuming, such a comfort. Picking up the book was like meeting with old friends.

Missy lives alone. Her children have grown up, her husband is no longer around, and she has a big house to herself.

She walks to the park one day and joins a small crowd watching the fish being taken out of a pond. She catches the eye of Angela with her young son Oti. Strangely, because they seem to have nothing in common, the two women begin a friendship and it proves the making, or the saving, of Missy.

She meets Angela for coffee, she looks after Oti, she becomes friends with Angela's friends, she looks after a dog.

And as Missy enjoys the company of good people once again, then so she begins to come to terms with her past disappointments, regrets and guilt.

Oh, it's really lovely. There are no bells and whistles, we just gently join Missy in her daily activities and listen to her thoughts and memories. It's not a book to rush, but to savour and to delight in friendship and kindness. Wonderful!
‘Saving Missy’ is the debut novel by Beth Morrey.

Missy Carmichael is prickly, stubborn – and terribly lonely. Until a chance encounter in the park with two very different women opens the door to something new. Something wonderful. Missy was used to her small, solitary existence, listening to her footsteps echoing around the empty house, the tick-tick-tick of the watching clock. After all, she had made her life her way. Now another life is beckoning to Missy – if she’s brave enough.

This book is such a tender and poignant story that made for heartwarming reading.

It’s seen from the narrative of Missy, a 78 year old woman, she lives alone with 2 grown up children, her son lives in Australia with his wife and son and her daughter lives in Cambridge. Their relationship is a bit estranged which causes Missy some upset with not having family close to her.

But on a walk to the park, she collapses and through this incident, 2 friends take her under their wings and offer friendship and company so the day isn’t as long for the lonely widow. Sylvie is a kind woman who likes to help others, Angela is a feisty Irish woman with her little boy called Otis. She looks after others and introduces Bob to Missy, a dog that needs looked after whilst her friend sorts herself. Missy underestimates the value of having a dog for company and learns to love the four legged creature and the new activities and friendship it provides.

I loved this story and the sweet characters. The story is seen solely through the narrative of Missy in the present but there are also chapters from the past explaining her background and life, which really sets the tone for the story.

Sometimes it takes a lifetime to find where you truly belong…
Seventy-nine is too late for a second chance. Isn’t it?
Now another life is beckoning to Missy – if she’s brave enough…
Review

A lovely warm novel to enjoy with a cup of tea,  a story of friendship community and the importance of having friends.

Missey manages to rebuild her life, after the loss of her husband, she goes from being lonely, isloated, stubborn, to being included in a warm community within her immediate neighbourhood.  It stresses the importance of friends,  a social life and and friendship.

This is a stong debut, and i will be looking out for the next Beth Morrey novel.  It leaves you feeling warm and hopeful, in the current times I think we all need a bit of that.  If anything has come out of the past 12 months, it is the importance of community, friends and being able to have someone to turn to when you need support.

#savingmissey #netgalley

Review 4/5
I had heard a lot of positive things about Saving Missy and was delighted to get the opportunity to review the story. I really enjoyed the plot and quickly came to love the central character of Missy. This is a superb debut novel by Beth Morrie
In a nutshell, a warm, witty and touching book - the ideal uplifting spring read. It certainly made me go out and enjoy the spring flowers and blossom.

At its core, Saving Missy predominantly deals with loneliness and loss, topics that can be hard to read. However, Beth Morrey has done an excellent job of exploring these subjects delicately. This, coupled with themes of friendship, companionship and community spirit, ultimately make this book a positive and beautifully crafted story.

I particularly enjoyed getting to know Missy through different timeframes and the relationships she forms throughout the book. For me, this was the perfect book to mark the first year of lockdown as it undoubtedly highlighted the importance of community and kindness.

So would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely. A splendid accompaniment to a cuppa!
As a person who loves a good contemporary fiction and drama, this book was not in it for me. From the start, the book turned out to be a boring piece of fiction that I couldn't quite comprehend, and it took me a long time to read this book.