The Deadening

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Feb 2020

Whenever a pet dies, we all just wish they could be with us again. Well, for Derrick, that wish comes true. Max's ghost appears with his cremated remains, and helps Derrick navigate all the difficult matters of middle school.  All in one, this book broke my heart and then swiftly put it back together again. It is clever, sweet, vibrant, and downright hilarious. The illustrations do a fantastic job of conveying all the emotions of being a 7th grader and dealing with love, loss, bullying, friendship, and other woes of growing up. I'll definitely hand to kiddos ages 8-12 in the library.
Young readers are rejoicing at the news that hilarious author Dana Sullivan is starting a new graphic series! The Deadening is the hysterical first book in the Dead Max series. Derrick Hollis is taking a graphic novel class during third period. His mom and sister fight constantly. His dad is absent. His dog Max is his best friend, and a pretty kooky character. On a regular walk, Max finds and chases a cat (who totally provoked him!) and gets flattened by a car. Not to worry, Max rises from the dead to help Derrick out with his graphic novel project, getting along with his family, and dealing with the occasional cat. This latest snicker-inducing book from Dana is definitely worth picking up and giggling with friends over! Do you smell pizza?
A junior comic – no, seriously, don't come here thinking it's for all ages, as it isn't – where a young lad sees his pet dog run over, only for it to come back as a ghost.  And once it's been cremated it can communicate with the kid, giving him all the street smarts it can possibly impart when it comes to bullies, and a girl he might like to sniff the butt of to see if she likes him or not.  Kids will find it quite ribald, but I think part of that comes from it not seeming to have a clear focus on which age group it's for.  Adults will find it a little silly, and the artwork not up to much.
It's not my thing but it has great cover appeal for children! The art work is fun and the storyline is simple but effective. I would give it to low level Yr 7s it ks2 students and I'm pretty sure they would enjoy it!
A graphic novel story about a boy and his dog. A dead dog, that is. Derrick is a wimpy kid type who gets coached and schooled by the spirit of his dead dog Max. Max as a literary foil to Derrick makes for hilarious antics as life plays out in school and home settings. The target audience will relate to Derrick.
Inset throughout are comics on lined yellow paper that Derrick has doodled. His comic art is Derrick's best way to express himself even when he is trying to escape from the pains of his parents' domestic issues. These bits present the messy life challenges that set this book apart from the typical.

Give to readers that enjoy Jerry Craft's _New Kid_ and Jarrett Krozoczka's _Hey, Kiddo_.
At first this Graphic Novel looks like just a bit of fun, telling the story of a schoolboy artist and his dead dog who is still around in the form of a ghost. But in addition to the fun style and the gags, it has a lot of heart and there are plenty of helpful observations on teenage life, and even q moral or two.
Never preachy, always fun and very positive, I really enjoyed this book. A big thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read it.
This is a weird graphic novel about a dog that is dead by page 7.  Yet, the whole rest of the book is about his ghost and the stuff he and Derrick, his owner, get into.  Both in "real life" as well as in the comic book stories that Derrick writes.

A weird, silly story, about young love and well, death, and ghosts. Oh, and getting your comic strips into the school newspaper, which Max, the ghost, helps with as well.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
This kept my 8 year old occupied on holiday when he had read his book quicker than expected. He seemed to love it and kept asking to use my kindle to read some more. I asked him to give starts out of 5 and he gave it 4/5. I will definitely be looking for more children’s books, thanks for a great read
Sharp, humorous, and creative. I enjoyed this graphic novel and would recommend it for a wide range of readers.
2,5/5. Not my style of humor or comic. This wasn’t bad just not for me. Humor that could be good for older kids, around 10 years old maybe, it’s a bit «dark» kind of humor but nothing too bad, at least in my opinion.