Hell School

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2019

Loved this
Thank you so much Netgalley for the copy
I loved the idea of a hell school where everything depends on ritual and being fake. The friendships are explored so good in this I really want to reaD the second part soon . Loved the final twist can’t wait to see where this goes and the art is phenomenal
The book has some Morning Glories vibes going on while giving you even fewer details. So little happened in this that I felt strung along. The new class at a private boarding school has arrived. There's a few outcast teenagers that refuse to go through some "ritual" the upperclassmen put on and the rest of the school picks on these kids for not going through said ritual. That's really all you get in this chunk. I need more than that to draw my interest. I've been burned too many times before to continue on the promise that may be something interesting here.
A strong opening third to a mysterious drama.  On an isolated island lies a boarding school, where too much depends on the initiation rituals, both for the children forced to undergo it and the pupil in charge of it.  He and his cronies call all the uninitiated "bastards", when of course they are the bastards themselves, and even though we hardly ever see anything of the tasks, obligations or whatever the wannabe pupils have to endure, we can easily imagine some of it.  We hardly ever see inside a classroom, either, proving this is a teen school drama like no other.  The other two books will undoubtedly reveal more of the tradition behind the whole thing, and a lot more about our three or four rebellious youngsters.  On this evidence it's a very intriguing little series – I only wish I had the chance to see the rest to review.  Its slightness – this is by no means a long book – means the rest may be a little hampered by the brevity, OTT, or still concealing too much, but I'd hope for a read to match this launch volume.
I Think We're Going Somewhere

This is the first of a three volume set, (all three volumes having just recently been translated from the original French). As you might suspect, it is weighed down by the need to set up the premise, introduce all of the characters, and start the plot in motion.

The premise is that we have a vaguely sinster "Lord of the Flies" sort of school where new kids who do not go along with "the ritual" are ostracized, sometimes with extreme prejudice. It's a bit of a stretch, but you have to start somewhere. We have three strong willed and independent kids who have mysterious-ish backstories, and who won't play ball with the powers that be. That's the book's strong suit, since all three kids have compelling personalities and refreshingly contrarian attitudes. As to the actual story, it looks like we'll find out more about the kids, and we'll investigate what exactly is going on at this creepy school. The threats to the kids are sort of Hitchcock slow-burn, but that suits the overall flow of the narrative.

Between the interesting kids and the various mysteries I'm game to look for the next volume.

The art is not exceptional, but it's crisp and clear and complements the action. It all feels a bit old school, in a comic book kind of style, but this definitely feels like a project where the story, not the art, is intended to be the main draw. Fine by me.

(Please note that I had a chance to read a free ecopy of this book without a review requirement, or any influence regarding review content should I choose to post a review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.)
The artwork is good and I found the story intriguing. Will definitely puck up the next volume. I need to know what happens next
The description of the graphic grabbed my attention and so I requested to review it on Netgalley. At first, I was a little underwhelmed but after a few more pages, I was hooked. Once I fully understood what was going on, I devoured the story in less than 15 minutes. I need the next volume like now. What is going to happen to Bastien, Hina and Boris? Is Val going to join their group? What's up with Val's dad? Will someone please punch Franck in the nose because he really irks my nerves!? So many unanswered questions. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this graphic series.
I have to say that I'm disappointed. I expected much more from this comic, but overall it's just average.

This story is about a high scholl, where are pupils divided into two groups. Normal pupils. And bastards. And trust me, you don't really want to be in the second group. Because every bastard is bullied, no one from school will help him/her and... well. Sometimes, they die.

Characters in this comic are good, personally, I really liked Hina's and Bastian's personalities.

But. The big problem of this comic is drawing style. It's... definitely different. And sadly, it was not a style that I would like. And I'm not the only one - a lot of people had a problem with this. So, if you want to read this comic, definitely try to find some pictures/photos of this story.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
What is happening?!

I have to say the art style in this is not my favorite but it kept me hooked the entire time. I thought the characters were compelling and the plot was driving. Though I still have no idea what Hell School actually is, I'm very intrigued to keep reading and find out more. This is a short first installment so I would say be aware that you won't get many answers in this volume. However, I saw that as a plus and I can't wait to read on!
This is the first installment of an intended larger work. As usually for graphic novel series, the story is only just beginning and it’s not yet clear where we are going. The story is well written and, I think, very beautifully drawn. Something about the style reminds me of the iconic Tintin books of my youth.

The story revolves around an extremely elite French prep school, secluded on an island in the Mediterranean Sea. All students are expected to participate in “the ritual”, an activity never explained further. Three students choose to not participate and are brutally marginalized by the student body and slowly form bonds with one another accordingly.

I for one am greatly intrigued. There is something going on here. Something bad. Something big. I will definitely be reading on.

This was such a great graphic and that cliffhanger ending has me super hopeful there will be more to the story! I loved the art and the story was crazy and intense -- immediately drawing me in!
The setting is what most intrigued me to read this graphic novel. A prestigious private school on an island with student rituals. While I was not a fan of the overuse of the word “Bastard” I did enjoy the overall plot. It was a bit confusing and you are not given any real answers, which I’m sure will be explained in the next issue(well I hope it is). The artwork while not my favorite is still very good, and I would like to continue on with the next one, to get some answers.
I don’t think this graphic novel was for me. I didn’t really enjoy the art style, although the scenery was beautiful, the drawing of the people weren’t to my taste. That’s totally fine, completely subjective on my part!

I did like the concept of a school out in the middle of nowhere. However, the whole ‘bastards’ thing was a bit weird and the dialogue had a lot of awkward transitions and random moments that kind of took me out of the reading process.
Elite boarding school with rituals, not hazing as that is illegal in France. Three students decide to fight back and not be a part of the status quo. As a result they are targeted by the principal, Franck and the non bastards. What lies ahead for the fearless three soon to be four? We won't know until the next installment. Well written mystery and awesome graphics. Decide reader, are you a bastard or an assimilator?
I'm hooked! If I'm honest I had no clue what was going on the whole time, but now I'm going to be stuck wondering until another volume is released.
I'm thinking it's only going to get weirder from here.
Brainwashing rituals? Murderous students?
I'm so hooked, I cannot wait for the next one.
I received a free copy of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review. I think that Hell School certainly has an interesting concept, but the delivery was lacking for me. I didn’t completely understand it and that could be because of how short it was. I don’t even really understand the point or premise of the school itself. This just wasn’t my cup of tea.
For a first in a brand new series, "Hell School" sets up premise of a group of students bound by the title, "Bastards" in an elite school that excels in conformity. Rebels starting out and finding their place as the outcasts.
The stage is being set here, will the horrific past repeat itself in order to maintain order?
This is what the reader is left to question after reading this first installment. Here you are introduced to the cast of characters, the school itself and the adults and upper class men who run it.
A short read, but it most certain has me interested and looking forward to the next in the series.
Well, I am definitely intrigued because I have zero idea what is going on here.
Basically, a group of teenagers arrives in a prestigious school in France and they are told that in order to really be part of the student body, they have to participate in an initiation ritual. Hina and Bastien immediately decide they want no part in it, especially after being told they have to change their hair in order to participate (Hina has blue hair and Bastien has dreads).
They are automatically ostracized but are later also joined by a third teen, Boris, who quits mid-ritual after getting into a violent altercation with the leader of the returning students.
Then there is Hannah, a girl who doesn't feel like she fits in because she is secretly only at the school because she is the daughter of one of the teachers and doesn't want the rich kids to find out.
There are a ton of other secrets too: Bastien is an orphan and has no idea who is paying his high tuition... and why are all the adults so damn shady? And what about the students who have died in the past, shortly after the ritual?
I received this graphic novel from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This graphic novel sounded really exciting, I am always a fan of dark boarding school stories and how can I resist this one when that dark boarding school is on a freaking island. No place to run, no place to hide. You just have to be smart if you want to survive.

The book starts with a scene from the past. We see how a group of students head to the ferry to go to a new year of school. It seems pretty OK in the first 2 panels, but then someone comes in the mix, the bastard. Apparently he isn't wanted by the group and left alone in the freezing rain. What happens next. Holy crap. I get you don't like the guy, but to just push/throw him off the ship? No, I don't see this a spoiler, it happens on the third page. :|

Next we are back in the now and we see a new group of students and we learn what bastard means. It is those who haven't done the ritual, those who haven't gone through the hazing. Yup. This school is very gung-ho on making people look the same, accept the social norms there, and participate in everything. The kids who will be the main focus point are all standing out. We have Hina, who has the attitude and the gorgeous blue hair. We have Bastien who has dreads. We have Boris who is definitely not happy with all the crap that is going on at the school in regards to the bastard stuff. And not fitting to the misfits entirely, but her secret may cause her to fall out of the group is Val.

I have to say that while I did like we didn't just have one person standing up against the terror, instead we have 3 (and 4 if you count Val), it was just too much for me. I am just getting into the story and we are switching POVs left and right. Not just these 4, but also the school director and some other guys. Maybe I wouldn't have minded if I had been into the story a bit further along, but now it was just too much.

The school is severely messed up, students have to partake in a ritual or be called bastards forever and be bullied and hurt all the time. There is something weird going on and I am curious why they are all so gung-ho on making these kids do the shit they have to do. Not to mention... people die. :| People are threatened. What kind of thing is going on that this whole bastard thing and people having to participate in the hazing is so important. We do get some hints, but I still want more. Now it just seems very strange and over the top. Though I see why the title is like this. It really is a hell school.

The art is pretty decent. Not always my favourite though. But that is just my thing.

All in all, I will keep on reading as I am curious how this will escalate and see what kind of crap wil happen next. What will happen to Bastien? Will the kids be able to keep on standing against this school? And of course why the school is so gung-ho on these kids being the same/acting like sheep.
Not for me. A school setting that was looking promising but fell into casual day to day teens  life. Not enough happen in this one for my taste!
Not usually a comic reader but I was intrigued by this one. Interesting set up with some nice moments of friendship building and some good hints at things to come along with a bit of a mystery being introduced. I was given a complimentary ebook in exchange for an honest review from the publisher and #netgalley