Frank

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2019

A graphic novel about a forgotten dictatorship is a wonderful and easy way to learn about history. If I read this without any knowledge about what Francisco Franco did, I don't think it will have such a great emotional impact. It's written in a style that even a child can understand. The way that Frank couldn't accept that other people think in other figures than the square is a great metaphor for the way things were. I wish this graphic novel was longer because the art was fascinating. So many details and metaphors. So much sadness hidden behind an image. It's a great thing that books like these ones are published because people are still unaware of what happened. I had no idea things were so bad in Spain, but I'm glad this book allowed me to learn more. However, I don't recommend people go into this book without knowing anything.
According to Wiki 'Francisco Franco Bahamonde was a Spanish general and politician who ruled over Spain as Head of State and dictator from 1939, until his death in 1975."

This graphic novel manages to tell his story in about 46 sentences and using brightly designed graphics. The way the story is told is captivating. This isn't some long history book but it is a book that will grab your attention, hold it and then send you to go looking for the long history books.

It is hard to desrcibe this artwork. It is simplistic and yet very powerful in the way it tells the story. The book can be read at any age and although the story is told through bright colours, there are dark and subtle aspects of the story that it conveys.

This is definitely a good one for people who like graphic novels and history.

Copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review
*Received via NetGalley for review*

Gorgeous panels, but light on information. With the amount of information it seems like it would appropriate for elementary school, if there was an interest for it.
Laid out like a children's book except no child will ever read this, Frank is a largely art piece giving scant details on the dictator's life that basically just says Franco bad, fascism bad. Great. So informative. Some of the art is interesting but there's very little here that's remotely impactful or worth reading.
A good introduction to the concept of dictatorship for children. Interesting analogy to explain it in simple terms.

Fantastically bold and colourful illustrations.

I'd have liked some accurate historical information at the end to encourage children to learn more.

Thanks to Europe Comics and Netgalley for the advance reading copy.
This book has a short narrative but the words are powerful and with meaning and the illustrations tell a thousand words.The book does a good job at telling a complex political story with simple visual and word. Interesting exploration of style.Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for making this book available for an honest reivew.
This was such a great work, the illustrations were amazing and I loved the use of colors and how minimalist it felt even though the colors were so vivid.
Through striking illustrations Ximo explores a heavy topic (dictatorship). I didn't know anything about the historical figure so would have liked an afterward or prologue with more information. This could be a good way to introduce the frightening topic of oppression to children through the examples of shapes as utilized in the book.
Once upon a time, there was a boy named Francisco.

Frank depicts the life and acts of Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. The story is historically accurate. But most importantly, the narration is a combination of stunning visuals and just enough writing to make this story align with the true history: powerful and tragic.

A very interesting read, Frank is a must-have for the fans of graphic novels. Absolutely recommended.
It's very hard to review this book.  The graphics are wonderful.  The idea behind the book is great,  BUT, this is a book for children, not for adults who want to read something significant about Generalissimo Franco and what put him in power (not just a simplistic idea that partially works for children, of squares, triangles and circles).

This book doesn't give us any information at all..  And great graphics are not enough unless it is backed up by real ideas.

Even a book for children has to have some content that is important, more important than he didn't like people who were different from him.

The 2 stars are because the graphics are great.
A beautiful graphic novel that was really enhanced by its strong narrative. I could not think of a single improvement while I was reading it.
This graphic novel about Francisco Franco is very short.  I read it in only a few minutes.  It is very effective, though, in getting its point across to the reader.  The author doesn't use the words "prejudice" and "war."  In fact, he doesn't demonstrate the themes with people.  In the book Franco likes squares and hates all other shapes.  It is extremely smart and a simple way to teach the moral.  The art is vivid and bright with strong colors and very graphic art.  I liked this little history / culture lesson very much.

Thank you to Netgalley, Abadia Ximo and Europe Comics for the digital ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Beautifully illustrated and simply shared, this part of the history of Spain is something I have never heard of. Would look forward to reading more about this Forgotten Dictator and how it has shaped modern Spain.
Apparently Francisco Franco is a taboo subject in Spain. No one wants to think about the horrid past.

So, this is a very stark, very simple almost picture book quality about it. That doesn't mean it doesn't get to the point, it does, but with simple drawings that might fool the causual observer.

Not sure if I would say this is a good way to introduce someone to Franco, but it does remind you of how horrid life under him was

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest reivew.
Very unique illustration and storytelling style. Not sure it really please me but I had to mention the originality. The story does a good job at telling a complex political story with simple visual and word. Interesting exploration of style but not a book that please me much!
I loved the art in this book, as well as the powerful story. It works like a kind of parable. I would call this more of an illustrated book than graphic novel — but still enjoyable and I’d be glad to own a copy.
Whatever I was expecting starting Frank this wasn't it.  Ximo's book is Incredibly powerful for something that can be read within a few minutes.  More piece of art than a graphic novel, where the phrase 'a picture is worth a thousand words' is the rule here.

Ximo's artwork is eye-catching and full of symbolism which has a way of staying with you long after the book is completed. The text is concise but just as potent, nothing is wasted.

Trying to think of other 'graphic novels' that have had the same sort of impact on me and I'm quite tempted to put it up there with The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

Highly recommended.

With thanks to Netgalley and Europa for the arc.
How do you write a book about a historical figure who polarises opinion and disturbs even unconscious thought.
The author writes. “Our grandparents were forced to fight. Our parents were forced to forget. It is our duty to remember the past so we can look towards the future.”
This book is short on narrative and full of colour. No words wasted, powerful and with meaning. Illustrations telling a thousand words.
A Spanish book for its own, a people tainted by their shared heritage which does not come out in the wash.
I am so pleased the book has been translated into English. Some of the imagery in words and drawings last with you.
The shame is the free world who turned their backs or aided the regime. The world has not learned its lessons as seen with the fate of Syria.
The light illuminating a prison cell was a tremendous image, those who rule in an authoritarian way want to hid the truth and silence opposition voices.
Democracy is being fought for still around the world; it is happening in Hong Kong even now.
This is a book that cannot be ignored and I trust it helps salve the troubled psyche of Spanish people.
Ximo Abadía narrates through words and vibrant colours the dictatorship of Franco, insisting on the need to remember one of the hardest periods in history. Between the two reading prisms, the image and the text, both very concise and intense, it remains up to the reader to interpret the story, to delve deeper into the symbolisms.
Ximo Abadia's art is beautiful, vibrant, and layered with symbolism. I particularly gravitated toward the art style, which is initially what drew me to this title. After reading it, I found the narrative wanting, but also saw its simplistic approach as a validly accessible alternative to more robust texts that may turn some readers off. This book has a lot of potential as a conversation starter or an introductory text to a larger conversation about history (Spanish Civil War), tyrants (Franco), the corruption of absolute power, and hatred. From a literary standpoint, it also allows readers, from various lexical levels, to consider the author's choice to use shapes as symbols for difference. While the book left me wanting more, I still feel it's a book worth considering. Not a fan of the title, however. I don't see the need to Anglicize the name as an attempt to infantilize the subject.