Sexual Citizens

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

Unfortunately, this title was archived before I could download it, so I am unable to read and review it!
Excellent research here. A bit dry, but still an important text for any research collection, especially in gender and sexuality studies.
Superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

A groundbreaking study that transforms how we see and address the most misunderstood problem on college campuses: widespread sexual assault.

The fear of campus sexual assault has become an inextricable part of the college experience. And for far too many students, that fear is realized. Research has shown that by the time they graduate, as many as one in three women and almost one in six men will have been sexually assaulted. But why is sexual assault such a common feature of college life? And what can be done to prevent it?

Sexual Citizens provides answers. Drawing on the Sexual Health Initiative to Foster Transformation (SHIFT) at Columbia University, the most comprehensive study of sexual assault on a campus to date, Jennifer S. Hirsch and Shamus Khan present an entirely new framework that emphasizes sexual assault’s social roots, transcending current debates about consent, predators in a “hunting ground,” and the dangers of hooking up.

Sexual Citizens is based on years of research interviewing and observing college life—with students of different races, genders, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. Hirsch and Khan’s landmark study reveals the social ecosystem that makes sexual assault so predictable, explaining how physical spaces, alcohol, peer groups, and cultural norms influence young people’s experiences and interpretations of both sex and sexual assault. Through the powerful concepts of “sexual projects,” “sexual citizenship,” and “sexual geographies,” the authors offer a new and widely-accessible language for understanding the forces that shape young people’s sexual relationships.

Empathetic, insightful, and far-ranging, Sexual Citizens transforms our understanding of sexual assault and offers a roadmap for how to address it.

About the Authors:  Jennifer S. Hirsch is a professor of sociomedical sciences at the Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University,  Shamus Khan is a professor and chair of sociology at Columbia University, and coheads the ethnographic team of SHIFT, the Sexual Health Initi and codirects SHIFT, the Sexual Health Initiative to Foster Transformation, at Columbia University.ative to Foster Transformation, at Columbia University.

I live down the street, literally, from a huge, major research university that is Canada's version of The Ivy League and I can only imagine how many sexual assaults take place there that are never reported or even talked about. The school's students are known to be rather elitist, snooty, self-centred and misogynistic, to say the least, so it is a scary place that I am glad I did not attend as an undergraduate or when I did my post-grad work.

The fact that students need to think of protecting themselves at all time from assault, whether physical, sexual or both is a hard thing to deal with on top of maintaining their studying and classes. Add in social media and how quickly one can be branded a slut and one can realize how important this book is in a university city or in your hometown.   The book is so well researched and written and this should be a required read for every college and university student to learn how to deal with the situation whether they are the predator or the victim.

I highly recommend that you and your book club read this book and discuss it - prepare your daughters and sons before they go off to school on how to deal with this ... it's as important as teaching them how to balance their cheque book!