The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Oct 2019

This book is slap stick humor with no real useful medical information. It is well written, but makes fun of those with mental issues.
I was attracted by the the title of this book, which promises a somewhat quirky and entertaining read.  While not meaning to insult people who  are diagnosed with any of the disorders, Dennis DiClaudio finds humour among the various conditions.   Full of humour and entertaining, a printed copy of this book would make a perfect gift and something to dip in and out of as an interesting reference book.  Although not for medical diagnoses!  It's the companion to another book by the same author which gives a guide to "horrible diseases."
I saw the title of this book and knew I had to get it. As a former hypochondriac, for physical and mental issues, I knew I needed to read this book. Good news! I was able to tell myself, "Yeah, I don't have this" time and time again. This is likely due to how DiClaudio writes each section. Each disorder starts with a few questions for you, followed by an inner dialogue that someone with the disorder would have, and then the diagnostics and causes of each. That inner dialogue is a great help for paranoids to distance themselves from thinking they have this disorder or that. In the introduction, DiClaudio talks about wanting to present these things in a humorous fashion, while also being respectful to those with mental disorders. I have to say, I think he nailed it! His format made learning about these disorders engaging, without being overly sensitive or overly callous. This was a good read and I look forward to his other book, "The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have". 4 hoots!
This was the third book of this author's I read this month, following enjoyable rattles around the human body's worst diseases, and the human bedtime's worst sexual ideas.  This concerns a host of mental disorders, pretty much all of the kind you'd rather not have.  Well, pretty much – since when is synaesthesia a disorder, as in something to cure?  And is not "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" just a perfect legal invention, to get you off a trial case when you throw someone through a bar window for no reason?  Seems that way to me.  Grr.  Anyway, common things are here, such as kleptomania, pyromania, Münchhausen's Syndrome, et al, and a lot more that raise the eyebrows for being rarer, harder to fathom or just blackly fun to read about while you're perfectly sane – allegedly.  It's certainly a lot more welcoming to read here how long Sleep Terror Disorder may last, than to find out first hand.  All this, plus imaginary worms, and a glossary of phobias and manias to round up.  The book is not perfect – the author gives us pointless, eminently skippable bits to each entry that aren't needed, as he did with the pre-coital yucks in the sex book – but this series has been highly educational.
Of the 3 Pocket Guides from Dennis DiClaudio this is the one I enjoyed the most.

These are short books so dont take too long to read, dont read them if you are easily offended.

Thanks to Netgalley and Quatro Publishing for the ARC. My review is my own opinion.
Somewhat Irreverent Guide to Offbeat and Typical Mental Disorders

As the title might suggest, this book is meant to be a lighthearted guide to some typical and rare mental disorders. I know; that seems like a strange concept. The author does address this in the introduction, where he states that he knows that mental disorders are a serious subject. He has written some other somewhat humorous books on difficult topics, like diseases and deviant behavior. When you actually start to read about the various syndromes within the book, over half of each disorder is actually quite serious. The causality and the treatment sections actually seem like solidly researched information about the actual disorder. It's only in the first parts of the section—namely the quiz, inner monologue, and diagnosis sections—that humor seems to reign. I actually found this combination of slightly silly parts and on-point parts along with sometimes rather bizarre cartoons to make for a fascinating read. I am an RN and have some experience dealing with mental disorders, so that may be why I found this to be a book I couldn’t stop flipping through.
Again a really interesting read! I do enjoy the format of the books and its fun to learn about so many different Disorders.
"Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Because you are the fulcrum around which the rest of the world spins and anyone who doesn't understand this is an idiot."

Every disorder is well documented, including common symptoms, causes, and treatment options, along with a handy quiz for easy self-diagnosis. And in case you can't tell whether or not you're losing it, each entry includes a sample inner monologue detailing the thought processes at play—because sometimes you don't know you're crazy until you see it in writing.

You can very well see that I copy-pasted the description. I never expected any less good sequel for the highly hilarious and extremely amusing/informative prequel The Hypochondriacs Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have.

As someone pursuing Psychology as majors, this book turned out to be highly informative and the author's sense of humour just made this 'reference' read quite an incredible experience! Dennis had already taken a chunk of my heart with his brilliant, quite graphic writing but he took eternal place in my heart BECAUSE HE LITERALLY TREATED MENTAL ILLNESS AS ILLNESS not with ALL OF IT IS IN YOUR HEAD nonsense! Definitely the book you'll find me throwing at the people who say it. When he said 'Because sometimes the mind conspires to screw with your body', it spoke to me on a spiritual level.

A brilliant, incredibly hilarious, non-offensive and genius sequel to the prior and it's just the best! I love this book even if it screwed my thinking! Truly made me question my sanity. :)

Recommended: Anyone in the medical/psychological field will find it educative and everyone else, it is for you as well!
The Paranoid's Pocket Guide... by Dennis DiClaudio is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late September.

Lesser-known mental conditions, as told by the inner monologue of someone with the condition, how it occurs, diagnosis, and treatment. The narrative is belittling, overexcessive, and like a Mad magazine article on a serious topic.
I am pretty sure I already suffer from a few of these obscure mental disorders! I really enjoy these books by Dennis DiClaudio because they manage to educate and entertain in a fun way.  Obviously true mental illness is not a laughing matter but this collection of obscure disorders is almost too bizarre to be real.
While author Dennis DiClaudio states plainly in the introduction that this book is not intended to be seen as making fun of any of the people who have these diseases, it's a bit hard to see it as anything else. DiClaudio keeps the tone light and humorous (Chapter 1: Anxiety Disorders, "because life's too short not to spend it worrying"), but it's difficult to find anything amusing about illnesses that are very real to the people suffering from them. Perhaps I'm just too sensitive? There must be a diagnosis for that...
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley!

When I saw this and the others by Dennis DiClaudio, i honestly giggled to myself...   And I knew right then and there I NEEDED these books.

I was not disappointed by any book he produced in this series.. seriously.   the pocket guides are frigging amazing.. and they'd really be the perfect gift for your friends.
Having dealt with several mental disorders in my family, I laughed a LOT as I read this book. The author takes a look at some well-known and many obscure mental illnesses, but manages to avoid making people who suffer from the disorders the butt of the joke.

If you, like MANY of us, are neurotic, you will probably find several disorders that you will think you have, but that's beside the point.

A fun read, well written.
I’m sure I have some of these mental disorders. Lol.
Nice to read about it and be informed.

Thank you for the Arc. I’m happy that I got to read this.
I was very excited to read this book.
At first I thought that it’s funny but then it seemed that it right.
Nice to read it. Didn’t knew that there were such mental disorders..

Note: I received a free e-copy of the book via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. Special thanks to the author and publisher for giving me a chance to read it.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have a psychology degree so a lot of these I have heard of before reading this book. But I enjoyed reading about them again and reading about some of the really "out there" disorders. Pretty much abnormal psychology of the more rare disorders in a nutshell.
If your like me you love reading and learning the most random things. Do you want to know what the fear is your already dead but no one has told is? Then read this! This was one of the most interesting books I’ve ever read, ever... well aside from Dennis DiClaudio’s two other books. I love learning random things and these books not only describe what they are/mean they give examples and all with such hilariously witty dialogue that by the end I was genuinely sad that I wasn’t friends with Dennis in real life.

These were literally a joy to read and I learned so many freaking random things, it’s awesome. I of course have to get these in hardback when they’re available because I do believe a big hardback is the only way to do justice to these works of greatness.
Couldn’t get this to download at all. But based on the others I read in this series I will give it 3 stars as I expect is similar
Part of a small collection, this book presented more or less real elements mixed with a good dose of humor. Not really my style of humor, it has an audience for that but personally it didn’t please me much. I wouldn’t recommend it!
I would have gladly read and I’m sure enjoyed this book but I was unable to download it so I will have to wait till I can purchase it but on description alone I will give it 3 stars