Cover Image: Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott Book 2)

Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott Book 2)

I loved this book so much, that I went back and bought the first one in the series.  Detective Katie Scott is brilliant, characters are good, the plot is good. Recommended.
Her last whisper by Jennifer chase.
This is book 2 in the Detective Katie Scott series.
Another book I really enjoyed. Detective Katie Scott is back. She starts another cold case. Amanda Payton had ran into a passing payroll car saying she escaped her kidnappers.  But the case went cold. Can Katie close this case before a body is found dead?
I really enjoyed this book. Lots of action. I love Katie's character.  She doesn't stop till she knows the truth. I love Cisco too. 5*.
Her Last Whisper – Jennifer Chase

It is Detective Katie Scott’s first day on the job as the leader for the cold case unit for the Pine Valley PD. A young Army veteran, Katie returned home from Afghanistan with her K9 partner, Cisco, and a troubling case of PTSD. Fully rested after her last assignment assisting her uncle, the police chief, Katie is now ready to begin her new assignment. While reviewing some files left for her to review, Katie quickly becomes intrigued with a case involving a young nurse who was found nearly naked and claiming she had been kidnapped. But no crime scene was ever found, and the case was quickly shelved.

As Katie, and her partner McGaven begin to dig, Katie is troubled for the start. The victim will only reluctantly talk to her and appears terrified, fearful that her abductor will get to her, no matter where she hides.  Uttering a cryptic clue, “I told the truth” and describing a ‘blue door with white trim’.  Shortly thereafter, the victim is found dead, and the case swings into high gear as Katie & McGaven hunt for a killer.

As the investigation ensues, Katie is drawn to a home in an abandoned development, that looks exactly as the victim had described, but with no trace of any crime. As she and McGaven dive deep into the history of the abandoned neighborhood looking for answers, another woman goes missing…and, someone has resorted to leaving clues for Katie - but is he friend or foe?

This is the second in a (hopefully) series of novels featuring Detective Katie Scott and her K9 Cisco. Katie is an engaging, spunky and likeable character with her own flaws as she struggles to overcome her anxiety & panic attacks resulting from her time deployed, as she asserts herself in the civilian law enforcement world. Cisco – well who can resist a spirited dog? A great read, with all of the action, mystery and suspense you’re looking for in a good who-dun-it!!  Now I anxiously await the next adventure for this duo!

I received this book as an Advance Reader Copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an objective review.
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
I am definitely going back to read the first in this series! Katie Scott is not your normal protagonist. She is a war veteran and suffers from anxiety. The story is fast-paced and kept my interest.
This is the second book in the series featuring a Detective Katie Scott.  Katie is an ex army officer working for the Pine Valley Police force.  She is still suffering from PTSD and anxiety and is given a post as Head of Cold Case department.  She is a very strong and tenacious character so she will do her best to solve the cases.  One particular case involves a young woman who was kidnapped and held prisoner but managed to escape but her abductor was never found.  Katie decides to interview her to investigate the case further but then realises that there is more to the case than she thought  especially when the woman is found murdered.  Another victim is too traumatised to remember anything and then a further young woman goes missing and appears to have been abducted.  Katie is joined by her partner from her previous case in book one but they struggle to make any headway or any arrests,  I really enjoyed learning more about Katie’s personal life and background.  The book contains plenty of drama, interesting characters and plenty of twists and turns. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Part two in the Detective Katie Scott series another gritty wild ride of a read.Full of twists and turns chilling tense kept me racing through the pages.Looking forward to next in series.#netgalley#bookoutture
I don't expect much more than some some quick and easy entertainment when I pick up a thriller or a mystery, and while this one did have that, it also had just too many distractions for me to really like it.

Pros: I did like that the main character was a female detective who had her life pretty focused even with PTSD. I will always love when a dog is thrown into the mix, especially a hero dog. The book was fast paced and the basic mystery was... fine. You don't know who the bad guy is until it's revealed, and it wasn't an illogical choice. Also, though this is Book #2, there appears to be no need to have read Book #1.

Cons: Dialog wasn't always logical (to my mind), and there were a lot of weird red herrings that didn't really go anywhere and also didn't really make sense. It was also really weird that Katie's uncle (the sheriff) was worried that she was taking too much on and was overworked. The woman had ONE case to solve, and at that point hadn't been working more than 8 hour days. She even had time for a side search for her friend's missing brother *during* those 8 hours. She wasn't remotely overworked.  I skimmed through the PTSD flashbacks.  The circumstances of Nick's arrival made no sense and seemed just a reason to cause drama (why drop by in the middle of the night thumping around the house in the dark, when you have another place to stay and could have just come by in the daytime like a normal person???).  And finally my one giant pet peeve:  The killer delays killing the protagonist just so he can brag/confess everything he's done.

It is a quick and easy thriller with a bunch of unforced errors that killed my enthusiasm.  This book could have easily been cleaned up, deleted a bunch of these left turns in the plot, and ended up with a very nice mystery/thriller. I wish they had, but as is I can't give it more than 3 stars.

Side Note: The synopsis on Goodreads and NetGalley is not at all accurate and that really irritates me. Who wrote it?? Did you even read the book? This had no effect on my review, but that is seriously irritating. Give me that job.

I did receive an ARC in exchange for an honest review.  I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading this, but I wouldn't encourage it either. I do see a great future for the character of Katie Scott and hope her next mystery is a little more cleaned up.
This is my first Katie Scott book, but it didn’t matter that I hadn’t read the first one. I was soon acquainted with the characters and the background.
Katie is back in her home town under the watchful eye of her uncle, the Sheriff  - he promotes her to Detective and she is working on cold cases. She interviews a woman who claims she was kidnapped but the trail has gone cold.
When the woman - Amanda - is found murdered, Katie is asked to lead the investigation with her sidekick McGavan.
Further murders follow, can Katie figure out who the killer is before it’s too late?
I enjoyed the side story of Katie’s time in the armed forces, with her faithful dog Cisco and the PTSD she keeps hidden. Also her budding romance with her childhood friend Chad.
I really enjoyed this book and am very much looking forward to the next one.
Interesting and involved case for Katie and her new partner's first cold case. The reasons for the crimes and the chosen victims isn't clear for awhile so when it comes together it works.  My only complaint is Katie going into dangerous situations leaving her dog --who was her dog while in the military --in the car. She was given permit to bring him to work since she often went out on her own  That was unrealistic to me as was her immediate recovery from being losing consciousness and being kicked viciously by the bad guy wearing steel tied boots
I am kicking myself for not starting this earlier - but stupidly it got pushed to the bottom of my pile!!
Having read the first book, it didn’t take long to get back in the swing of things! Katie is now a cold case detective and stumbles across an abduction case that she is curious about. When that victim ends up dead, she steps the investigating up a notch!
Great plot, great characters and an amazing dog - what more can a Sunday afternoon offer! Once again I cannot wait for the next one!
Reading the previous book in the Detective Katie Scott series got me hooked on not only the character of Katie but that of all in this series. So when the second installment of this series was out I absolutely HAD to get my hand on it! Her Last Whisper is an equally thrilling and gripping crime thriller I enjoyed devouring! It opens with a scene that grips you from the get-go and keeps the momentum going till the very end!

When the cold body of beloved local nurse Amanda Payton is discovered on a jogging trail in Pine Valley, Detective Katie Scott known for her skillful handling of cold cases is assigned the case. Weeks earlier, Amanda was discovered by two police officers running away. incoherent and in a deep state of emotional trauma. But with no viable leads, the case soon goes cold. Katie gets Amanda to help the police with finding her kidnapper promising to protect her and get her the justice she deserves. Soon after Amanda is silenced, her death shocking Katie to the core. When Katie discovers another case with a similar story and accusations of kidnapping, she tracks down the victim who refuses to help her out. Soon Katie realizes that someone is on the hunt for women, kidnapping them and torturing them. When another office-worker goes missing, Katie must race against time to save her. Will she be too late?

The plot of this book is excellent and the twists really kept me going till the very end. I found this book very hard to put down. I really like how driven Katie is and how methodically she approaches every case. Katie primarily deals with cold cases, so often discovers skeletons in the closet, pun intended. Her cold cases take her to cases in the present where the perpetrator is still active and kicking and killing. Off course this and a current threat to someone are what keeps the chapters so tense, that its a crime not to read just that one more chapter.  I find the battle between will she? or won't she to be too hard to resist. However, it would be great to see her dig into cases that have gone cold a long time ago. Apart from the kidnapping-killing case, this book also has her working on another personal case. Katie is helping a fellow vet, find his missing brother. Although the coverage of this case is way less than the other one, it shows us yet another compassionate and emotional side of Katie Scott. With her ever-increasing episodes of PTSD, her juggling two cases at a time show me just how driven and passionate she is about her job and doing the right thing. I am a fan of this series and can't wait for the next.

Thank you, NetGalley, Bookouture and Jennifer Chase for an arc!
Her Last Whisper is the second book in the Detective Katie Scott series. Katie Scott is a former member of the military who returned home and joined her Sheriff Uncle's department. She now is the cold case department and on her first day discovers the six month old kidnapping of Amanda Payton. As she starts to look into the case, Amanda turns up dead. There might also be more women who were kidnapped and fear that he will come back for them too.

I enjoyed this book and found it to be a quick read. The story weaves both Katie's cold case as well as some of her military past. This is a series that does require you to have read the previous novel. I story picks up shortly after the last one left off and does not really recap any of the previously set character development. If you are looking for a female lead detective series pick this one up.
Her Last Whisper
(Detective Katie Scott #2)
by Jennifer Chase

Kindle Edition, 330 pages
Published October 21st 2019 by Bookouture

Goodreads synopsis:
Katie focuses her mind, trying to keep another anxiety attack at bay. The victim’s long brown hair is slick and wet, her body rigid in the grass. She looks more like a mannequin than the woman Katie had spoken with only yesterday, the woman she had promised to protect…

When a cold, naked body is discovered by a couple on a jog through the lush woodlands of Pine Valley, California, new recruit Detective Katie Scott is stunned to discover the victim is Amanda Payton – a much-loved local nurse and the woman at the heart of an unsolved case she’s been investigating whilst getting a grip on her crippling PTSD.

Weeks earlier, Amanda had run, battered and bruised, out into the headlights of a passing patrol car. She claimed to have just escaped a kidnapping, but with no strong evidence, the case went cold. The Pine Valley police made a fatal mistake…

Katie is certain the marks on Amanda’s wrists complete a pattern of women being taken, held captive and then showing up dead in remote locations around Pine Valley – and she won’t let someone die on her watch again.

But then a beautiful office worker with a link to the hospital where Amanda worked goes missing. With only days before the next body is due to show up, can Katie make amends for her past by saving this innocent life?

Totally gripping crime fiction for fans of Lisa Regan, Rachel Caine and Melinda Leigh. Nothing will prepare you for this nail-biting roller-coaster ride…

***

4.5 Stars

This is the second book in the Detective Katie Scott series by Jennifer Chase.

What a great read! I am really enjoying detective fiction and police procedurals right now.

Katie is a new hire in the police department in Pine Valley. She is now head of the cold case division. And her first case turns out to be a doozy. A woman is discovered by two police officers bloody and nearly naked claiming she had been kidnapped. But the officers can find no truth behind her claims. The case goes cold and now six months later, Katie is digging into the details.

I am fascinated by this stuff. There are a couple of love interests here. A bestie from the service, Nick, who asks her for a favor and Chad the firefighter who is jealous of Nick and the time he spends with Katie. It seems the only family around is her uncle who got her the new job and her dog Cisco who used to go on cases with her but now is sort of retired from investigation work.

This isn’t the type of book that scares you and keeps you up at night but it is a solid read that makes you yearn for more. I can’t wait to see what else Jennifer Chase comes up with next for Katie Scott. I will definitely be there at the checkout with my money in hand.

If you love detective fiction or police procedurals, you will want to add this to your TBR for sure!

I received this as an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) in return for an honest review. I thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for allowing me to read this title.
Detective Katie Scott, is working cold cases in her new position. One is for a woman who was held hostage but there was no further follow up. Katie begins to investigate and soon a body turns up. Can Katie solve this case in a race against time when another woman has gone missing. Keeping her ptsd, and a blossoming romance under control is becoming hard for Katie. Is she strong enough?
What a great second instalment in this series. Katie is really evolving into a brilliant character and I hope she gets more laughs in her next book!
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
I really liked Katie's character. As an ex-officer in the army who specialised in bomb disposal, Katie has PTSD to contend with in her new role as a Detective. She does have her adorable partner, Cisco the dog, to help her through though. I also really liked the other characters like McGaven, Chad and Nick. I thought they were well written and just lovable.

Her Last Whisper is book 2 in the series and even though it can be read on its own I will definitely be going back to read the first one to find out more about the missing girls case. This book was a good pace with enough suspense to keep me engaged all the way to the explosive ending.

I look forward to reading more about Katie's life in any future additions to the series.
I received a digital advanced reader copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This books was soooo much more intense than the first one! I did really enjoy it! I think I even liked it more than the first.

This author has a wonderful writing style that just drags you in to the story and doesn't let you go. I really enjoyed how descriptive this book is and how much detail it goes into. I really hope we see more in this series. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

Thank you for allowing me to review this title.
Jennifer Chase has introduced is to her latest detective Kate Scott. Having done two tours in Afghanistan in the K9 division Kate has had her own share of trauma to overcome but is strong willed and determined to be a good detective.
Her first job is to review cold cases to determine what there are any angles she can apply to get them moving again. And as luck would have it, it quickly went to homicide
Can Kate hold !up under pressure or will she d tumble send fall ?
You'll to read it to find lout
I was a little late to the party, reading this book. I nearly missed it altogether but I am glad that I didn't! This is the second book in the series but can easily be read as a standalone (although now I want to read the first one).

Katie Scott is a newly minted Detective who is excited to be working in the cold case department. It is nice and quiet, which suits her, and she can spend the time she needs just percolating the information  in the case files through her active brain. She has some lovely colleagues in various departments at the station, who help her, and of course her dog, Cisco, is never far away. I loved her dog so much! I also liked the relationship she had with McGaven, and also Nick, her buddy from her Army days. All in all, Katie is quite a force to be reckoned with.

There were certainly lots of different threads to weave in this book but it worked out very well indeed. I was tossing up who the murderer could be but I genuinely didn't know until the author revealed it! This story had me on the edge of my seat more than once. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

5 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
Well written thriller with everything you like, many twists and turns, suspects, you don't know what's going on for sure, and the ending is surprising, it's good!
Entertaining, captivating, well developed storyline with good characters and a good pace.
I was into it from page one!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Number two in the Katie Scott series and as I’d just finished the first Little Girls Sleeping, I was excited to read this as I love the opportunity of reading books in a series back to back. I was a little disappointed as there was a marked sameness to the two, original detectives being irritated at Katie’s involvement, letters being left etc. That being said it was a good read and with the introduction of new characters from Katie’s past the subplot seems like it has much to give. I’ll be interested to read the third addition when it’s published