Cover Image: Fire and Wind

Fire and Wind

This book was really good. I have read many books on the Holy Spirit and loved hearing Jantz's thoughts on the Holy Spirit. He made the theology and orthopraxy of the Holy Spirit very down to earth and put in beautiful layman's terms. I highly recommend it!
Written in an easy to understand and conversational manner, Fire and Wind introduces us to the Holy Spirit, and the work He does in our lives.

Stan Jantz also navigates through some commonly held beliefs regarding the Holy Spirit and puts them into a Biblical perspective while also encouraging the reader to delve more into God's word for themselves.

Worth a read if you are interested in learning more about the person of the Holy Spirit.
This book is harder to read for those who are not into theology. It's not very non-pastor friendly. The author definitely did try, and I appreciate the good effort.
Jantz's father died at a young age. His mother remarried. It wasn't until just recently that Jantz went through a box containing his father's books. They were books by authors who wrote over a hundred years ago: Moody, Murray, Simpson, Torrey, and Tozer. The books were about the Holy Spirit. As Jantz read through his father's books, he was made aware of a new understanding of the person and work of the Spirit. He shares his insights with us.

Many Christians will be able to relate to Jantz's initial understanding of the Spirit, more doctrine than anything else. His understanding of God was intellectual and not experiential. He, like many evangelicals, thought of the Trinity as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Bible. Reading his father's books created in Jantz a hunger to know the Holy Spirit, to experience Him, to rely on Him for daily living.

This is a good book for evangelical Christians who have relegated the Holy Spirit to a place other than indwelling, directing, encouraging, enlightening, and empowering believers. You'll share Jantz's journey to knowing the Spirit is alive and well in believers today, can be experienced and desires to empower believers with gifts.

Food for thought: “A truly spiritual person is someone who is personally led by God through the Holy Spirit.” (Loc 228/1579)

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
If you are looking for what I describe as a beginners guide to the Holy Spirit, Stan Jantz has a well written book giving some insight and personal reflections on his experiences and understandings.

I enjoyed the perspective Jantz has and would say he outlines for his readers a base of exploration into who the Holy Spirit and how we interact with him on a daily basis. But it must be understood this is mostly an introductory level discussion.

Please don’t expect any great theological content, though I don’t believe this to be his intent anyway. In fact in his introduction Jantz explains that he is probably only a little farther along in the journey than some which I took to mean he is simply hoping to give readers an opportunity to grow in their journey and see how the Spirit interacts with us.

I also approached this reading with a theological backing in pentecostalism and 15 years of pastoral practice in the charismatic tradition so there was little new to me with the book. That said “Fire and Wind” is a great book for those looking for a place to begin this relationship with Holy Spirit and an understanding of the gifts.  I also appreciate that Jantz mentioned there have been times the Spirit has been overemphasized, I am fully aware of the tendency of some to point to everything as a sign or wonder and the “manipulation” some try to use claiming the Spirits leading.

Well written and decently researched.  If you are looking for a book on this topic, you won’t go wrong here.

*I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. These are my personal thoughts.
I believe the book was good and on point to a degree, although there are parts that I would disagree with strictly because it doesn't line up with scripture. The parts where we say we all have the spirit of God living inside of us at the beginning would contradict The Word of God.

For example, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost - Acts 19:2 KJV

These men knew not the Holy Ghost and weren't filled. When we think of John 20:22  where it says: And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost.
Then we would have seen in the next verse stating " and they were filled with the Holy Ghost," and we do not see this because it hasn't happened and wouldn't have happened unless Christ was Ascended. Instead, we should look at this as a reminder of the time God breathed on Adam in the garden. Jesus even said that John 16:7 - Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

When we say someone has already or already has something we should line it up with scripture carefully and contextually. There are cases with people who are filled moments after.  receiving the washing of their sins with the Baptism of Redemption.

There are a lot of other points to be made but all in all it's still a good read.
Earc from netgalley.

The best part of this book for me was the spiritual gifts chapter, I thought it was fantastic, but the rest of the book was just okay.
Probably most well-known for “Bruce and Stan’s Guide to” books, Stan Jantz offers readers a new guide to a topic many are curious about— the Holy Spirit.  In Fire and Wind, Stan begins by sharing his personal journey of a deepened understanding of who the Holy Spirit is, then he goes on to write about who the Holy Spirit is, how the Holy Spirit works, and how believers can experience more of the Spirit in their lives.  Instead of some stuffy, academic book, Jantz offers up a down-to-earth, every-day book for every-day people.  It’s easy to read, filled with practical applications, and of course, biblically based.  I’ve been a believer for a long time, and still I long for more of the Holy Spirit.  In clear, biblical terms, Jantz has helped me see just how to experience more of the Holy Spirit’s power in my life.  I also feel better equipped to be able to take others who are curious to the Bible and show them who the Holy Spirit and how He works—and how we can have more of His wonder-working power in our daily lives.  Thanks, Stan Jantz, for teaching and equipping me with this excellent guide in your new book, Fire and Wind.

Note:  I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for this honest review.  The opinions expressed are my own.
I enjoyed this book. It laid out explanations in a logical way and backed up thoughts with biblical citations. It would be a solid resource for someone wanting to know more about the Holy Spirit.
I love getting new perspectives on God, and the way we as Christian's should live.

But, this book only does that a very little bit. I found it very disconcerting the number of times we're told "Tozer said" or "According to Tozer." I enjoyed the book, but it felt disconnected as if the author wanted to tell us about Tozer's opinions.

I will say it is well written and worth reading if you dont mind the many Tozer quotes.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book.
Fire and Wind is accessible and full of real life examples of spiritual exploration. An enjoyable and well-written book.