The Busy Mum's Guide to Murder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2019

Beverley has two lovely children and a husband and ambitious plans for their children's education. But then her husband leaves her for his secretary and the Emma and Felix, instead of a much better school, have to go to just the usual, not too good educational establishment, Harper Hill Primary.
But Beverley doesn't give up. If she can't send the children to better school, then the school must change and so Beverley takes matters in her hands. From starting a PTA and being its head, to becoming a Governor, in the meantime getting rid of a very un - cooperative teacher and school head. Literally.
However, there is someone observing her. Trying to stop her. Will Melanie Hicks, mother of 4 little horrors, be able to hold Beverley off?

I'll be honest, for a long time I wasn't sure what to do with this book and with Beverley. It all just seemed a bit too thick, and I felt a bit confused, I really didn't know what to think. However, the more I read, the more Beverley and the story grew on me, until the point that I thought oh hell, woman, you really are the iron woman. I mean, Beverley was not a likeable character. Oh no. She was uptight, snooty, serious and focused on only one thing, with a superiority complex but really, I eventually started to warm to her and in the end I simply wanted to give her a standing ovation. She was taking no prisoners and when she really got something into her head, there was nothing stopping her - not even a corpse.

I was literally glued to the pages, wanting to know how far Beverley will go and what's going to happen next/who's going to die next. I loved the unpredictability of this book, of the fact that I have never known what's going to happen when I turned the page. The writing style was easy to follow and pleasant to read, the plot complex and full of twists and turns and what is so clever is that you can easily associate some of the characters with some of the people from your own school gate, ha, they were all so brilliantly sharp described! Even though Beverley's actions sometimes seemed unrealistic, I could easily identify with her urges.

So after the initial reservation, I really started to adore this book. It was full of dark humour and you need to take it with a pinch of salt as the plot IS a bit too far fetched but believe me, you're quickly going to gulp everything the author puts on the pages. It was original, refreshing and hilarious. Truly recommended!
When I started this book I didn't think I was going to enjoy it. I thought Beverly had a superiority complex and that she was heading for a fall. Gradually I started to warm to her with the result that by halfway through the book I was cheering her on. Ok so the plot is a bit far fetched but we all need a bit of escapism every once in a while.
This was a really entertaining book. I liked the characters, the plot and humour. I like to read about school mums and the drama of them :) So, it worked quite well for me. Recommended.

Thanks a lot to Netgalley and the publisher for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
5 stars! This was a really engaging book with interesting characters. I love any books about school mums and this one was so unique it was highly entertaining. Highly recommend! Looking forward to reading more from this author.

Thanks kindly to Netgalley, publisher and author for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I liked the humour and the character development but I found the plot a too distant from my experience and had some issues in connecting to the characters.
Beverley is well written but not likeable at all.
It was an entertaining read, recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this Arc, all opinions are mine.
Wanted to love this book but struggled slightly to get to the end. Beverly is a hard character to like but the storyline intrigued me so I persevered, the ending was a bit disappointing- all a bit too neatly concluded!
Barbara is the perfect wife to Graeme and mother to Felix and Emma. Until Graeme leaves her so she has to fight for her sanity, her kids and their education. When she takes on the PTA and becoming a school governor to ensure the best for her kids god help anyone who gets in her way!
This was such a dark funny read. Barbara was such a brilliant character and I’m sure many mums will identify with her urges, I sure recognised them! The descriptions of the other mums was spot on with the mix of mums at any school gate.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Absolutely loved this book. I could associate the characters with a number of people from my children’s local primary school.
Beverley is a mum of two. She had high hopes of a new start in a good catchment area for her family. Then her husband ups and goes off with his secretary.
Leaving Emma and Felix to go to Harper Hill Primary. Not the best educational establishment. Beverley sets about changing things. From forming a PTA to becoming a Governor. Getting shot of an ineffective teacher. Killing of the head.
However, there’s someone out to step in her way Melanie Hicks. The mum of 4 little horrors and as rough as they come.
You’ll love this book and I would certainly love to see further books with Beverley and Harper Hill Primary.