The Workhouse Waif

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 4 Oct 2019

A fantastic read, wonderfully heart-warming. A great young female protagonist, that you can't help but love and a great cast of supporting characters too.
Heartwarming Adventure
This wonderful story is a bit like a female Oliver Twist, rags to happiness in Victorian England. The horrors of the workhouse and the hardships of the streets create a wonderful woman. I hated to see the story end and would enjoy reading more stories about these people. I received this ARC book for free from Net Galley and this is my honest review.
An emotional read that draws you into the life of Megan a young girl who through no fault of her own finds herself with her Mother and brothers and sisters living in the workhouse. You follow Megan’s life from childhood to adulthood. There are some cruel and heartbreaking times for Megan, but she never lets it change the kind and caring person she is. Megan befriends a young orphan Griff who also has his own tragedies. Megan and Griff are both strong and gutsy characters. Although they have a hard road to climb they don’t let any of the trails and tribulations knock them down.
Beautifully written, you are always there with the main character Megan. This is what I consider a fireside story. Cuddle up in your blanket with a cup of hot chocolate and enjoy one of the best historical fictions of the year.
A heart warming story that gives readers an up close look at a Welsh workhouse during the 1800's. I liked that Megan's character was allowed to be naive and then grow stronger with help from others. Both Griff's and Megan's stories were heartbreaking at times but their friendship was so sweet. Recommended!
Another lovely book from Lynette Rees,i do like reading about the workhouse and how people came to be there.A book that has sadness and happiness combined.An excellent book thank you.5*
This was a book that I did not want to stop reading. I enjoyed it because it gave me an insight into the lives of the people who lived and worked in workhouses. It was sad but there was happiness too. I thoroughly recommend this book to be read and enjoyed.
I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting.  Great characters and a great plot line.  I would highly recommend this book to anyone.
I love the style of this author and it is very similar to Rosie Goodwin, Annie Murray and Katie Flynn. I enjoyed the history as well as her outlook on workhouse life. This is the first I have read by this author but I can say for certain I will be reading more of her books in the future.