Cover Image: The Glass Hotel

The Glass Hotel

I really enjoyed this book! I was super excited at receiving this book but didn’t want to read it in case it disappointed. Well I can say it doesn’t. Once again it has the Mandel magic.

The thing I love about her books is how everyone is interconnected somehow. It’s like a spiders web or six degrees of separation. It’s all build up to give you a well developed narrative and a sublime tale.

This book concentrates on the financial crisis of 2008 and Ponzi schemes but that is merely the backdrop. The real heart of the book is the characters and what makes them tick. I think Mandel’s books could be set anywhere and it’s essence be the same. They are amazing character driven novels and this is no different.

I think my favourite character in this one is Walter. Yes, Vincent is the most complicated and prominent character but Walter reminded me of myself. I would like his ending.
OK, so I know we may only be one quarter of the way through, but my goodness this is my best book of 2020 so far. Also, I may be the only person who neither heard of nor read Station Eleven, so I can't make a comparison there, but I have to say I was absolutely hooked from the moment I started reading The Glass Hotel. To begin with, the snippets of various characters' lives seem random, but as we began to move between times and places, it becomes apparent that the titular glass hotel is the crossroads for so many of these important characters to collide. I found the writing had an almost dreamlike style to it and I personally liked that feeling of floating through the lives of the people mentioned. A couple of big events happen, but the book spends so much of it's time leading up to these things (the main one, although hinted at, doesn't even happen until close to the end and therefore isn't really dwelt on as much as I'd expected from the synopsis) and the main focus remains on the lives of the characters and how each of their tiny, insignificant actions can have a much larger ripple effect on so many others.
A difficult book to review. I did enjoy reading it but found it confusing at times with the different timelines and characters going on. I think you need to be prepared to read this continuously rather than read it and pick it up again a week later to be able to keep up and remember what’s happened. A good read nonetheless.
REVIEW ~ The Glass Hotel.

Out on Kindle 30 April.
Hardback ~ 6 August.

What it's about:
Vincent is the beautiful bartender at the Hotel Caiette, a five-star glass-and-cedar palace on the northernmost tip of Vancouver Island. New York financier Jonathan Alkaitis owns the hotel. When he passes Vincent his card with a tip, it’s the beginning of their life together. That same day, a hooded figure scrawls a note on the windowed wall of the hotel: ‘Why don’t you swallow broken glass.’ Leon Prevant, a shipping executive for a company called Neptune-Avramidis, sees the note from the hotel bar and is shaken to his core. Thirteen years later Vincent mysteriously disappears from the deck of a Neptune-Avramidis ship.

Weaving together the lives of these characters, Emily St. John Mandel's The Glass Hotel moves between the ship, the towers of Manhattan, and the wilderness of remote British Columbia, painting a breathtaking picture of greed and guilt, fantasy and delusion, art and the ghosts of our pasts.

What I thought:
You'll already know that Station Eleven is one of my favourite reads of all time. Filled with such a beautiful hope about humanity, and the redemptive powers of the arts.

The Glass Hotel feels like it's mirror opposite. A reflection of humanity at its worst. Without filter, flaws visible for all to see, but written beautifully.
I was never going to like the New York financier, responsible for a Ponzi scheme resulting in people losing their lives savings. Acting in unconscionable ways, while colleagues and ruthless investors turned a blind eye. That the corporate shipping magnates actions wouldn't fill me with understanding or empathy. Or the brother who uses his talented sister to further his own career.
The novel is filled with unlikable characters, manipulating and using other people for their own gain, the underlying message extolling the virtues of a simpler life.

And perhaps this warning was needed before the global pandemic. Reading it now has left me with many questions, about how I want my life and society to look like when we are able to move freely again.
I value authenticity more, and I want more meaning. Ethics are important. Recommend 💙
It’s been five years since I reviewed this author on my blog, six years since the release of her preview smash-hit release, Station Eleven. When I saw Mandel was releasing a follow-up with that beautiful, enticing cover, I had to try it. But, I managed my expectations. I knew this wasn’t another Station Eleven; it wasn’t going to be another post-pandemic masterpiece. I knew this novel was going to be a little quieter, a literary drama with a sprinkling of that dreamlike prose I fell in love with. And I wasn’t disappointed.

It’s difficult to categorise the subject matter of this literary drama. It mostly revolves around a Ponzi scheme, the 2008 financial crisis and its repercussions. ‘To be honest, I probably would have never picked up a literary drama/character study centring around a Ponzi scheme, if it hadn’t been for Mandel’s name on the cover. I really barely knew what a Ponzi scheme was.- and the idea of corporate politics and financial schemes is just not my cup of tea when it comes to reading. But I did read this, and now I do know what a it is – and I was engrossed throughout.

Because, Mandel’s writing is just mesmerising. She introduces a host of characters – the most captivating and key being Vincent, Paul and Johnathan but there’s plenty of side players who have pivotal roles too – and she explores and picks apart these characters against a vast, globetrotting background spanning from the outskirts of rural British Columbia, to bustling New York, Edinburgh and more. Their lives cross paths at points along the way, and seemingly irrelevant details take on new meaning as the story develops. Everything has a ripple effect in this story, with pieces scattered along the way to form one vast puzzle. The story isn’t really about Johnathan – the mastermind behind the scheme – but the protagonist for me was Vincent, a woman who enters his life for a little while. We follow Vincent’s journey from small-town Hotel bartender to a trophy wife with riches beyond her imagination, to a quiet life at sea. Quite a lot happens, and yet this isn’t a plot-driven story. Instead the author invites you to sit back and just let her perfect prose and acute observations sink in and carry you along. I don’t want to give too much away but this is highly recommended for anyone who enjoys complex character studies or just spellbinding writing.
Usually I start my reviews with a brief plot summary and who our main characters are, however, The Glass Hotel makes this a little difficult as the characters are very intertwined and the plot isn't linear so it's hard to know where to start without easily spoiling it somewhat.

I came to this book because Station Eleven was my favourite book of the year. The Glass Hotel certainly has the same narrative style - where the book is told from multiple points of view and points in time, jumping forward and back and sideways so you see and understand what drives the characters, and why seemingly innocuous things affect them. It also focuses on what drives the characters, and how really we all boil down to as base-level humans, regardless of our status or intelligence and so forth.

So in those ways, The Glass Hotel and Station Eleven are quite similar. In all other regards they're different, with one being futuristic and this being set in the here and the past. They're both gritty, but one in a survival kind of way whereas this is the ego and greed-driven landscape of the wealthy.

Why should you pick up this book? The characters. Vincent, in particular, who works as a bartender at the aforementioned hotel. We start the novel by following her older brother who has a drug problem, and follow as she enters the world of the filthy rich, and is there right when the 2008 financial crisis strikes. Mandel manages to make this not only interesting but engaging. The characters are what drive this narrative and it's just as excellent as Station Eleven was. It's only that I adore dystopian that I prefer the other book slightly more - as far as quality, writing style, and engaging characters, this book ticks all those boxes.

Highly recommended, and I can't wait to see what the author delivers next.
This is an incredibly difficult book in which to describe the plot in any accurate way. The novel follows two siblings, Paul and Vincent, from their teens to later on in life and the paths they take. This is also the sort of book in which you need to fully concentrate and have your wits about you. We jump around in timelines, there are perspective jumps, some from regular characters, some from just one off perspectives. Everything is magically interwoven in a complex, yet beautiful mess. This all said, I found this a hard read, and may have given up if it had been a different author. I'm glad I didn't though, as I really enjoyed this one by the end.

So the story opens with Paul, we learn that he is seeing a therapist and we also learn that when he was a teenager, he was involved with drugs and that this ultimately led to the death of someone he knew. As time progresses, he and Vincent both end up working at an extravagant hotel that can only be reached by boat. This is about all I can provide for plot description, but think mystery, disappearance, potential murder, money making schemes and the financial crash of 2008 and then you have some idea of the directions this book goes in.

I will say, I felt like I was drowning at times while reading this, and that at best, someone had sometimes thrown me a rubber ring in which to try and keep myself afloat in a rough sea. This book was hard going, and I didn't always have any idea how what I was reading was relating to the story in any way. I was sometimes confused as to whose story I was even getting. The pay off once everything started to click into place was worth it though. So I'd say if you are struggling, just keep going. The end few pages of this book were worth all my efforts. In fact, the ending will probably stick with me for some time to come.
It's a testament to Emily St. John Mandel's skill as a writer that this book about a ponzi scheme and the economic collapse of 2008 didn't bore me to tears. It's not exactly the most thrilling topic, particularly when the last book of hers I read was Station Eleven about a flu pandemic induced apocalypse. And yet, it's bizarrely compelling, like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Mandel's spare and lyrical writing paints a picture of each of the various degenerate characters, from junkie composer Paul to Ponzi scheme running Jonathan Alkaitis, their tragic, intertwined lives both mundane and fascinating. It's less a book with a plot than it is a slice of various lives, and while the meandering back and forth narrative eventually loops back round to make a fairly neat circle, there's never really any sense of plot direction. Except the inexorable motion towards the crash.

A strange read. I think at this point I could comfortably say I'd enjoy anything Mandel writes, just for the manner of her writing.

Many thanks to the publisher and netgalley for my review copy.
This is a difficult novel to review. Not because I didn’t like it, on the contrary, because I know that I can’t really do it justice. Perhaps it’s one of those novels that you need to reflect on for a few weeks before talking about, to metaphorically step back from so that you can see the whole more clearly.

The Glass Hotel is vast in it’s scope and yet elegantly simple. The writing is superb, almost mesmerising at times as there is a strangely dream-like quality. There are some beautiful lines; I don’t think that I have ever made so many highlights on my Kindle. Not what you would expect for a book centered around the 2008 financial crash. Please don’t be put off by that, this story is about so much more.

All of the characters, large or small, seem finely drawn and tangible. We encounter many of them over the course of several decades, dipping into their lives both at pivotal events or moments of reflection and ennui. Many of the characters are consumed with alternate histories, imagined conversations that they will never get to take part in, or are visited by ghosts from their past. Once you finish this book you too feel slightly dazed and suspended in an illusory world alongside them.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publishers for a copy of this book in return for an honest review.
The Glass Hotel is written just as beautifully as Emily St John Mandel’s other work. The characters grip you as the story develops and you gain a greater understanding of how all the complexities are intertwined and how the actions of one person can have different consequences to a multitude of people.
An interesting read giving an insight to both sides of extreme financial fraud. Many varied characters are brought to life throughout the story. I did find the introduction of ghosts rather disconcerting.
I wish to thank Emily St. John Mandel, Pan Macmillan and NetGalley for the advanced copy of The Glass Hotel in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first book I’ve read by Emily St. John Mandel, it’s written with skill, another talented writer I will follow with the intention to read Station Eleven next.

This story is written from alternate viewpoints intertwining over different times. Vincent is the principal character; we follow her life from a young age when her mother disappears in a mysterious canoeing incident until Vincent’s disappearance from a ship many years later. There is mystery in the story and there’s ghosts, it isn’t a ghost story nor overly paranormal. Vincent’s half-brother Paul plays a role in Vincent’s early life; they attend school together and work together at the Hotel Caiette in remote Canadian. Incidents involving graffiti occur in both locations and connect the characters. The hotel is owned by Jonathan Alkaitis, an investor who becomes Vincent’s loveless partner.

Many of the characters in the story are people who have invested in Jonathan’s scheme. These characters are beautifully developed and very likeable. I felt great empathy, such realistic people. I’d definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys contemporary literary fiction.
I really enjoyed this clever, absorbing book from Emily St. John Mandel. More than enjoyed it - this is a book not just to read, but to drink, a book to immerse yourself in.

The Glass Hotel is bookended (slight pain intended, obviously) by two disappearances - in 1994, that of young Vincent's mother, when she sets out in her canoe one day from her home in a remote part of Vancouver Island and never returns - and in 2018, that of Vincent herself, falling from a containers ship off the coast of Mauritania. Both events are mysterious, both case a shadow.

Between the two deaths, St. John Mandel weaves a detailed and even intricate story, following not only Vincent's life but that of her addict half-brother, Paul, her future husband, financier Jonathan Alkaitis ('He carried himself with the tedious confidence of all people with money'), shipping executive Leon Prevant and many, many others. I particularly enjoy the way that she makes whichever character she is following so vivid, real and interesting - whether or not they are part of the main story. So for example, we hear about Alkaitis' artist older brother, Lucas, who died of an overdose decades before but was painted by Olivia in the Sixties. Olivia later invests her modest savings in one of Alkaitis's funds and acts, to a degree, as the personification of the many individuals who lose money this way. Yet beyond this, St. John Mandel gives us beautifully realised scenes of Olivia with Lucas, a passing encounter involving her and Vincent, and indeed a whole life in miniature for Olivia which makes her concrete and fascinating (and makes us care about what will become of her). Similarly, in St John Mandel's hands, anecdotes such as that involving Leon's wife Marie and her psychic friend, rather than detracting fro the pace of the novel or confusing the story, blaze with life and interest.

She does the same throughout the book - I particularly enjoyed reading about Walter ('There's such happiness in a successful escape') the night manager at the Hotel Caiette, the Glass Hotel, located in that same remote community where Vincent grew up. Walter's life before and after the central events of the story is given, and, like all of this book, it's riveting despite being - or because it is? - so ordinary. Walter has a small but pivotal role in the book because he is present on the night when a man (or woman) whose face is covered by a hoodie scrawls graffiti on the window of the hotel: 'Why don’t you swallow broken glass'. Is it a random act of vandalism or a targeted message? If a message, for whom?

That evening, the hotel will see several of the key playerss in this story. Paul is working there, as are Vincent, her schoolfriend Melissa and the recently widowed Alkaitis (Vincent will soon give up her job, after she meets Alkaitis). These meetings, and that message, resound through the book, seen by different characters and from different perspectives (Paul's conversation with his therapist decades later, Alkaitis's life in prison some years earlier, Vincent's future lives). The mystery of what it means, who did it and why hangs over the first part of the book: in time it seems to recede as we get up-close descriptions of subsequent events, and then at the end, we return to it with more knowledge.

Those alternate viewpoints are more than different individual perspectives. A great deal of the punch in this book comes from its exploring the different worlds that might be possible if this of that had happened differently. We're given an early glimpse of that through something terrible that Paul does and for which, it seems, he never truly feels any regret, except for the consequences to himself: there's always a sense with him after that that he is trying to live a life where that thing, and those consequences, never happened. (I didn't like Paul). Similarly, Jonathan Alkaitis accepts on one level that he has done wrong but still feels he shouldn't be punished and increasingly constructs a 'counter life', an alternate life, or lives, for himself, whether either he committed no crime, or didn't get caught, or fled in time, which over time becomes more and more real. Vincent finds her life with Jonathan so disorienting that 'she often found herself thinking about variations ion reality... she was struck sometimes by a truly unsettling sense that there were other versions of her life being lived without her, other Vincents engaged in different events'

Audaciously, St. John Mandel gives this sense of teeming other realities even more resonance by citing the events of her last book, Station Eleven. In The Glass Hotel, the 'Georgia Flu' is a thing but it has not become an existential threat. Imagine, one of our characters muses, if that happened? A reality in which 'the terrifying new swine flu in the Republic of Georgia hadn't been swiftly contained', in which it 'blossomed into an unstoppable pandemic and civilisation collapsed'.

That will not happen. We are given one vignette established to be twenty years or so in the future, and the world still has cocktail parties. Still, that whole world, those events, are implied in a moment - of course given even greater heft in our Covid-19 world which St John. Mandel couldn't have expected - all, for me, immediately making  this story richer, deeper. (Once you notice this, you begin to spot other allusions. For example, at a meeting of shipping executives the strategy is settled on of forming the 'Ghost Fleet' of unneeded freighters, at anchor off the cost of Malaysia, that also features in Station Eleven.)

In keeping with this openness to alternate viewpoints, alternate realities, the book speculates to itself about facts, rather in the manner of a court of law ('she was almost at the end of her shift when he walked in, which places the time of the meeting at somewhere around five or five thirty in the morning') with parts of it being given in the style of testimony. With Jonathan in prison, there has been a trial: at times he is giving his side of things to a journalist, at others the voice of the novel is a 'we' who speculated about events as well as giving a particular, self-serving viewpoint.

Related to the alternative viewpoints theme, another idea which is explored through the book is that of different worlds, overlapping (or not) occupied by different characters. Paul and Walter have both lived in Toronto but 'Paul's Toronto was younger, more anarchic, a Toronto that danced to the beat of music that Walter neither liked nor understood'. In Alkaitis's prison, these are referred to as 'cars' and there is one of people who will never be released, one of New Yorkers, and so forth. Elsewhere, we have the Kingdom of Money, which Vincent inhabits for a time, when she is with Alkaitis, and then has to leave. There is the Shadow Country, where the poor live - not just those with little or no money, but those who've cut adrift from the formal economy, travelling from seasonal job to season job in a recreational vehicle or hitching from truck-stop to truck-stop with the risks that entails. There are the ships' crews, people who have no permanent address on land anymore and, at the end of the book, there's Walter, living alone in the splendour of an empty hotel.

The hotel itself plays several roles in the story. Apart from bringing some of the main characters together, it represents, I think, a performance, a sort of con trick, that is repeated at different levels by different people through this book.The place makes no money. Built in a place so remote that it can only be reached by boat, it attracts the rich, those who want to experience the wilderness without its dangers or discomforts (again, overlapping worlds). It stands only so long as its owner, Alkaitis. He, in turn, stands only so long as everyone chooses to believe that he's not engaged in a massive financial fraud. It is, as one of his associates later claims, possible both to know something and not to know it at the same time. The hotel is both a massive white elephant and a much patronised and popular destination.

The writing in this book is simply gorgeous. St John Mandel has such an ability to convey character, whether it's an external perspective on someone we are seeing for the first time or a new wrinkle or quirk in a familiar figure revealed by an interaction (Vincent's decision, on meeting someone,  not to be 'one of those exhaustingly  mysterious people whom no one wants to talk to because they can't open their mouths without hinting at dark secrets that they can't quite bring themselves to reveal'). She has a knack for language and for the absurd or distinctive moments of life (a 'meeting that had outlived its natural lifespan but refused to die', someone 'disappearing into her phone', 'Harvey took the desk chair, Joelle sat ion the sofa, and they shredded evidence together. It was almost pleasant.') St John Mandel is also, in light of "recent events", right on the nose in so many places: '"There's something almost tedious about disaster," Miranda said. "...at first it's all dramatic... but then that keeps happening, it just keeps collapsing, and at a certain point..."'

I'd say this book has it all. It's so good I didn't want it to end, I just wanted to keep meeting these characters, exploring more realities, seeing them look backwards and forwards at what had been going on. I know I will return to it, because there is so much here.

Strongly recommended.
Station Eleven was my first read by Emily St. John Mandel and while my enjoyment of that book wasn’t so great at the time, that story has stuck with me in the intervening years, and I have been unable to forget it.

When this one came along on my NetGalley dashboard, I was instantly intrigued by the premise but also wary of my previous experience with St. John Mandel’s work.

Turns out I needn’t have worried.

This book was infinitely murkier, more enjoyable, and had a certain quality, an air of the offbeat.

The narrative was all over the place, forwards, backwards, third and first person, but it works. I found it to be reminiscent of Markus Zusak’s Bridge of Clay, not in story as they are completely different books, but in the way that the story was told. A chronicling of sorts, without paying attention to those pesky lineal timeframes.

It is at once a story of greed, karma, and doing whatever it takes to survive, while simultaneously highlighting every facet of humanity: the good, the bad, and the ugly, and our connectedness to each and every one.

Thank you Emily St. John Mandel, Pan Macmillan Australia, and NetGalley for an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Having previously read Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandell I was really looking forward to reading more of this author’s work.  This was nothing like Station Eleven but having said that I still really enjoyed this book and loved the atmospheric writing style of this author.

I would generally have little interest in the storyline as it centred around a financial collapse which I have little knowledge about and I have to admit that this is not a subject that I am overly enthralled with, however I enjoyed this book due to the haunting, atmospheric setting and the way that the story enfolded as we were drawn into each characters life kept me engaged throughout the book.

I loved the character of Vincent.  She was a free spirit and a law unto herself.  Losing her mother at a young age, she drifted through life before finding herself as a bartender at the luxurious and remote Hotel Caiette.  A hotel cut off from the world and the only access, a boat trip from the mainland to the little old Pier.  Wealthy businessmen used this as a place to escape the world and when Johnathon came to stay she had no idea that she would fall into the world of the wealthy and go on for a short while to be able to afford everything that she could ever imagine.  She soon learnt that these luxuries came at a price.

This was not a book I could totally relax with as it did demand a fairly high level of concentration to follow the script and it wasn’t a book that I could read for a long period of time as I needed to take regular breaks to digest the information that had been provided however all in all I did enjoy this book and the authors writing and descriptive setting was outstanding.
This is a very difficult book to review - I read most of it not really understanding what was going on - often confused - and having finished it I had to read the first couple of pages again to make things clearer as I just could not remember where it started. Set over a period of 15 - 20 years the action is not presented sequentially which added to my confusion. I am glad I persevered because it was only towards the end that I understood what the author was presenting, very cleverly, with a main theme of a financial scam and how it impacted on the perpetrators and the victims (if victims they really were). Remember - if a deal sounds too good to be true - it probably isn't a good deal!!
The reason I continued to read this novel is because it was so well written which made it all worth while.
Three and a half stars for me!
Many thanks to Netgalley/Emily St. John Mandel/Pan Macmillan for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
I love Mandel's writing, so I enjoyed this one too. It was really interesting, and unique. It was a bit hard ot get in, but gripped me eventually.

Thanks a lot to NG and the publisher for this copy.
I really struggled to get into this book but by the end felt it had completely redeemed itself.

There are so many characters in The Glass Hotel and while it was really interesting, I couldn't pick a favourite character or a favourite story line. There's so much interwoven in all of this book that I felt quite lost reading it and struggled to see the point of it and where it was going.

BUT, that's not to say it's not a good book, because it is. It's obviously well written and fantastically planned and constructed to intersperse the different characters and relationships across time, globe, parallel universes and paranormal plains. There is just so much in there that it really needs some serious time and concentration to keep up. Or maybe just a reader with a better concentration span and focus than me! (I blame a combination of multiple almost-due eARCs, working from home and homeschooling!)

The ending was a brilliant summary of what happened to everyone and I only wish I'd been able to keep up with the story better while I was reading it. The ending almost pushed this to a 4 star book for me but I just couldn't get over my struggle to follow the vast majority of the main part of the book unfortunately.

An extremely well written, planned and paced book that I found frustratingly enjoyable but confusing. I didn't for a moment consider a DNF with this book - I just wanted to understand it better. And by the end, I did.

Thank you to NetGalley, Emily St. John Mandel and Pan Macmillan for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
After Station Eleven, I would read Emily St. John Mandel's take on, like, a phone book. The Glass Hotel follows a mix of people: Vincent, the bartender at the remote Hotel Caiette; Jonathan, owner of the hotel and king of finance; Paul, the half brother running from his own demons and who writes menacing note on the hotel's window; Leon, a shipping exec who is shaken after seeing the note.

The Glass Hotel is like watching through mist, across settings, reality and unreality, the wilderness, the height of Manhattan elite. Told in fragments, flashbacks, days and decades apart, tied through ponzi schemes, mysterious disappearances and a ripple effect tying everyone to that remote hotel.

A dreamlike read on the ghosts of their respective pasts, slowly unfurling. Liked it a lot. Brilliant writer. Can confirm would still read her take on a phone book.
Vincent is the child of her father’s infidelity, leaving her with a strange relationship with her half-brother, Paul. The pair’s lives take very different turns, but again and again crossing paths. Drug addiction, stolen artwork, sham marriage, fame, ponzi schemes and the financial crash – all of these and more weave through this tale. And the Glass Hotel itself, in glorious isolation in the wilds of Canada.

I’ve been meaning to read the much-lauded Station Eleven for the longest time, and perhaps should have taken more care to read the blurb on this one before jumping at the request! Which isn’t to say that it’s not a good read – in fact, it’s brilliantly written with such a skill with words – but to be honest I found it all a bit too ‘literary fiction’ for my tastes. I prefer stronger plots rather than haunting imagery. Still, I found it a bit reminiscent of Margaret Atwood, which is no faint praise!

Vincent is the main character, mostly, although the story goes back and forth both in time and between her and other characters impacted by some of the same events. It was fascinating, seeing ripples spreading out from incidents large and small.

A large chunk of the narrative involves a thinly disguised version of Bernie Madden’s ponzi scheme and the global financial crash. I suppose I have more interest than most in such things (I worked in finance, albeit a tech side, during those events), but it’s still not quite what I was expecting. I think I would rather have spent more time understanding Vincent, or even Paul (not that I found him likeable). Or, actually, something that gave the amazing ‘Glass Hotel’ more reason for being the title.

Overall: I’m glad I read this, but not my preferred genre. If you like lit-fic more than I do, this seems like a stonkingly well-written slice of it!