Cover Image: When Life Gives You Lemons

When Life Gives You Lemons

I’m over the life starts for older women when they have a philandering husband. So over that trope. Hate it. So much. I’m not a fan. Viv is like oh my god my life is over. She’s got two kids. Of course trying to work it out with the husband fails. Like why would anyone go back to a cheater? Pass. Also, the second half of the book where she has this new life was so weird and impossible to believe. Didn’t love this book at all.

Viv is like 50 something and she has a crap husband.
 She wants more form life but she is not going to get that from Andy. So she needs to like go have this new life and find out who she is. yet she goes back to her cheating husband which I never think is okay to do. Women deserve better. And I am sad she thought this was the only option she had.
The book improves towards the end, but the middle just seemed like it could have been cut out. I think this would be good for older women struggling with their identities to show them there is more to life and to not settle for a loser of a man,
This is about Viv a fifty something woman who is going through the menopause and then her husband leaves her for a younger woman.
She tells us how she’s getting through her days and what led up to the breakdown of her marriage.
She has got friends who help her through this
This is a great read and is probably quite relatable to some people.
Thanks NetGalley
‘When Life Gives You Lemons’ is the latest book by Fiona Gibson.

Between tending to the whims of her seven-year-old and the demands of her boss, Viv barely gets a moment to herself. It’s not quite the life she wanted, but she hasn’t run screaming for the hills yet. But then Viv’s husband Andy makes his mid-life crisis her problem. He’s having an affair with his (infuriatingly age-appropriate) colleague, a woman who – unlike Viv – doesn’t put on weight when she so much as glances at a cream cake. Viv suddenly finds herself single, with zero desire to mingle. Should she be mourning the end of life as she knows it, or could this be the perfect chance to put herself first?

Fiona Gibson is back with a warm-hearted story that will certainly warm the cockles of your heart during this dark and scary time.

Just when Viv is about to get her life back on track after forgiving her husband for his affair, he ups and leaves and Viv is wondering what to do next.

A single parent going through the menopause, the last thing she wants is to meet someone else even though her friends are determined that she should mingle. With a new position in work and becoming a voice for the older generation, Viv finds herself on a new path in life.

If you’re looking for the perfect distraction from all the bad news and drama in the world, I would whole heartedly recommend this story. Written with warmth, wit and cheer, this coming of age story follows the narrative of one woman as she adjusts to her new life. Packed with eccentric and interesting characters, hilarious scenarios and witty one liners, this story is an upbeat and relatable book and perfect for all lovers of romantic comedies.

You can buy ‘When Life Gives You Lemons’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops
An  uplifting, easy read centering on a a menopausal 50 something about to be divorcee. Far from my usual crime thrillers the one-liners had me hooked and i was genuinely laughing out loud. some of the over the top comedy lightens what is actually quite a bleak tale and the supporting characters add a colorful dynamic to a beautiful prose. I found myself empathizing with Viv and just wanting her to embrace life while shouting at her stupid husband "why are you being so stupid!"
Highly recommend this wonderful novel by Fiona Gibson - I will certainly be reading her back catalogue as its marvelous to discover a new author.
This was such a cute book! I really enjoyed the storyline it was new and different. I love that the characters are older. When life gives you lemons is a refreshing read.
The basic idea of the book of a woman, whose husband leaves her for another woman after about 20 years of marriage and how she rediscovers herself and learns to appreciate herself better after all these years. However, the pace of the book is really slow. I would have given up on it but I wanted to finish it just because DNF-ing another book for this year would have given me anxiety.

It picks up pace only in the last quarter and by then I was already bored. The things I did like in the story was female empowerment, how when she is separated from her husband she realizes that how much he was pulling her down, how his image of her or his choice of words made her think bad of herself. Once he left, it took time but at the end it was like a fog had been lifted and she found her passionate self again. The women in this book are uplifting each other, instead of pulling each other down and that was refreshing to read.
I really enjoyed Viv and her daughter. I thought the writing was spectacular. This book made me laugh often and made me feel a wide range of emotions. But this book didn't do anything for me. I didn't see a plot other than "I'm in my 50s and my marriage is falling apart." I guess I just wanted more of this book. I do think it is better suited for other people, but this one was not for me.
Thank you to Netgalley and Avon Books for giving me the opportunity to read and review this delightful book.

Firstly, I’ll start by saying my mum loves Fiona Gibson’s books. I started describing this one to her and she laughed and said, “I’m also reading this exact book right now!” This is my first one and to begin with I was a little unsure how I could relate to the protagonist being a 50 something year old woman going through “the change”. Well, I loved it! It’s funny, endearing, and lighthearted. It’s sad in some ways but the protagonist is so optimistic, I’d love her as one of my friends! I highly recommend this easy read, I found it to be a tonic in light of the current pandemic.
Seriously cute book! A fun light read and one I really enjoyed. I would recommend it for sure and think it would be a great addition to summer reading for anyone!
I think this is my first by this author so i didnt know what to exoect and it is not the usual genre of books i read but read great things hence why i picked this book.
We begin in Edinburgh where we have 50 something overweight menopausal wife and mother to two children, one at 20 and one at 7, only looking after the young one as the older son has fled the nest. Quite early on in the book, the husband and daddy leaves the marital home after having an affair and the story is about how Viv gets back to normal life. Nothing was bittingly obvious, it just flowed from day to day and didnt keep me througholy interested so i had to keep putting it down and going through it slowly. By the second half of the book it dragged a little for me. Many parts of the book were very funny and i did giggle at some of the wording, the boy next door drove me nuts, Luca. Viv job is a PA and the second half is about her working life...
I dont normally read this style so it could just be that, i dont think its my style thats all but it was wrote well, i liked the character too. It just didnt pull me in that is all.
Thank you to Harpercollins publishers and netgalley for this book for an honest review
This is a light and fluffy read , sometimes funny sometimes sad, about menopause, marriage and men. Strong female friendships help Viv navigate her new path.
I received When Life Gives You Lemons by Fiona Gibson as an ARC from NetGalley.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book and the main character Viv.  I can identify with Viv who is in the menopausal stage of her life.  She and her husband have a grown son, Spencer and a 7 year old daughter Izzy who was a surprise when Viv was 44.  She works as a PA for a big company and thinks everything is fine with her life until she discovers her husband is having an affair when she sees a text come in on his phone.  Viv life is suddenly turned upside down but I love how strong a woman she turns out to be and how this was the push she needed to make important changes in her life.  I plan to go and read Fiona Gibson's other books as this was my first introduction to her.
Wow! This was such a fun, light, easy-going read that made me laugh out loud. I could not put this book down. I loved Viv, eight-year-old Izzy, and glamorously colourful Penny. I'm happy that Andy didn't get much print time as to me, he was incredibly bland and just an awful character.

There will be women who will recognise a piece of themselves in Viv. Throw in the menopause, a failed marriage and a crappy job into the mix, and you get this glittering masterpiece.

When Life Gives You Lemons, is the first book by Fiona Gibson I've ever read, and I am now in the market for her others. I would love for the author to continue the storyline, and to see where Viv's life goes next because I have so many unanswered questions. Does Izzy end up a YouTube sensation or win MasterChef Junior?, Do Viv and Nick get married, and live happily ever after? Does Penny restart Girl Friday?

Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me access to this ARC, in exchange for my honest review.
My thoughts

Narrative and Plot

When Life Gives You Lemons is entirely told in a first person's view, by the main character Viv herself.  Witty and self-deprecating, her tone settles you into the story with an ease and comfort right from the beginning. With effortless charm, Viv paints a clear picture of other important characters around her which is sometimes a problem with first person narratives.

This is mainly a character based story. It starts from how Viv is embarrassed about where she is at life and has a decent arc by the end where she is comfortable being herself.

Characters and Conflicts

The synopsis never mentions that Viv is in her fifties, which is a surprise when you start the book. But she is definitely a relatable character to most women. Menopause is an important topic in the story. This is a good thing because from where I come from, lots of people are still unaware about the issues that come along with it. The more it gets talked about, the better. Izzy, Viv's daughter is an adorable child. And even Ludo makes a good impression. The friendship between Viv and Penny is heartwarming.

The story doesn't make the changes abruptly. It takes small steps throughout when Viv's character develops further. There are times when certain events feel a bit too stretched. Most of them comes back and is justified at some point. All the ensemble characters contribute further to the story. There is a subtle romance and I really appreciate how it doesn't take centre stage. This is all about Viv and how she reacts to the sour lemons that surely gets thrown at her.

Conclusion

In short, I expected this book to be a fun, light read and that is exactly what it turns out to be. There's is this undeniable charm and simplicity to it. If not for a few drags and stretches here and there, this is almost a perfect read. This story goes out to all women who think it's a bit too late or they can't take risks anymore. It gives hope that one can turn around their life at any stage , if they truly desire that.
A hilariously funny read and my first by Fiona Gibson! It was really great to read a book about a middle age women going through menopause that doesn’t let life get you down! Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read and review in exchange for my honest opinion!
I tried multiple times to read this book but couldn't get into it.
*Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review *
Brilliant book loved the ending was worried she was going to get back together with her husband so glad it went the other way as I was saying to myself "I would never speak to her again if she got back with him"

Thank you for a brilliant book fiona Gibson cant wait to read more of your books
This book is just the perfect pick-me-up that we all need at the moment!

I’ve been a fan of this author’s books for a while, but it’s ages since I’ve read one of hers. They just keep getting better and better.

Viv is such a great character. I liked her so much. She goes through so much during the course of the book, but keeps such a great sense of humour through it all. She also finds her inner strength and confidence.

I love the way the author takes a subject that can be a bit of a taboo, or difficult to talk about, the menopause, and makes it so humorous. There’s a refreshing honesty there too.

There are genuine laugh-out-loud moments in this book, it really is hilarious. Absolutely loved it.
4☆ A Very Entertaining, Witty, Light Hearted Read!

Viv is finding everything a lil overwhelming, she's a mum going through menopause and feeling unsupported and unattractive by hubby Andy.

The menopause is giving her an insatiable sex drive... if only Andy would reciprocate.... instead he has a bad back or just too tired.... really?!
Or could it just be that he is having a rampant affair with his younger work colleague?

I'll let you read it and find out for yourself! 🤔

The title of this book is perfect!.....When Life Gives You Lemons....and Viv certainly had a few sour ones thrown her way!
But did she give up?... nope!
I really liked Viv she was strong, very relatable, likeable and a great Mum to seven year old Izzy!

When Life Gives You Lemons is a humorous, witty, womens fiction, with plenty of drama, a dash of Romance, a relatable plot and a fantastic set of characters.
I certainly could relate to the night sweats and painic LOL!
It's a Light Hearted, Entertaining, Fun, Easy flowing Read, perfect for a lil bit of Escapism, that will leave you Giggling!

Thank you to Avon Books for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Funny and sassy I did enjoy this book who touches on many actual themes. I'll definitely read more books from this author in the future.