Zaha Hadid

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Oct 2019

I adore this series! I just cannot get over how much I love these little character profiles, from the stories all the way down to the artwork. What a joy to read and share with my daughters!
Zaha Hadid's work is phenomenal and I'm amazed everytime I see it. Before she passed away, she designed the new building for Bee"ah here in UAE and I honestly want to work there in the future even if it's somewhat far from home. It's so amazing, I'm rendered speechless.

This book was a nice and short introduction to Zaha but I wasn't a big fan of the artstyle.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy for an honest review.
A great addition to the Little People series. We have a stunning Zaha Hadid building in the city of Antwerp, which I pass every day on the journey to work. I will be defintiely adding this to my library collection, students will enjoy making the connections between Zaha's work and our cities buildings.
I really enjoy The Little People, Big Dreams series. They are short, pictorial biographies for historical people, some well-known, others not. Zaha Hadid is someone I had not heard of before. That made this story quite interesting to me as I was learning about someone new. As always, the plot is fast but that’s to be expected in a book geared to younger children, it is a taste of the subject. Zaha Hadid was definitely an entrepreneur in her own field and this came from the fact that she was not afraid to experiment and to do things no one had ever done before. This showed her bravery, determination, and creativity. As with all the books in this series, it features stylish and quirky illustrations and extra facts at the back, including a biographical timeline with historical photos and a detailed profile of the architect's life. This is a child friendly biography with delightful illustrations. It is a story that shows a young woman striving to achieve her dream. This book could be used to teach young children how to write a biography, show that it is important to have a dream and strive to achieve it as well as to introduce them to this little known architect. A good book for a school library.
Disclaimer I received a copy as an ARC via NetGalley.

I very recently reviewed another book in this series (Mary Shelley) so there may be similarities between the reviews.

I absolutely love this series of biographies. They are very condensed but digestible for young readers to get an introduction to the lives of thinkers, writers, creators etc. Zaha Hadid is such an icon in the art/architecture world that I am extremely appreciative she is being introduced to kids. She was so many firsts in the world of architecture: first woman to win the top prize, first muslim person, first person to create such undulating buildings. I also liked how the illustration style seemed to fit Zaha's personal design aesthetic.
Another wonderful addition to this beautiful series. Simply story with lovely illustrations. There is even more detailed information at the end for those who want to learn more.
Admittedly I didn't know who Zaha was before reading this book. I read it for the first time with my children who thought her buildings looked cool but struggled with understanding why it was new for a woman to be an architect.

This book would be ideal for using in timeline activities, POC (persons of colour) focus units, and STEM literacy lessons.

I found this one okay but I wasn't as drawn to it as much as previous ones. I'm not sure why..
I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review. I did not know much about Hadid and this book meant for kids was a perfect way to learn about her.
I love this series of books. The illustrations are always vibrant and wonderful and the story is condensed yet gives a good overview of the person's life.
"She was a planet in her own orbit."

I have finally gotten my hands on a Little People Big Dreams book! These books have always fascinated me when I passed by them at Waterstones, or when they teased me from my amazon recommended, and finally I have managed to read one! I am a sucker for a good illustrated children book about real life heroes, and Zaha Hadid just happened to be one of my favourites. I have always admired her work, and reading about her story always puts a smile on my face, and this book was no exception. The illustration were simple yet adorable, and portrayed diversity very well. The story was obvious told so a child could understand it, but I specially appreciated the last page containing a chronological timeline of her life as well as more in-depth information on Zaha Hadid.
All in all this was a really cute read that inspired me to experiment and dare a little more.
"She was the first woman and the first Muslim to be awarded the Pritzker Prize, architecture's highest honor."

I had never heard of Zaha Hadid until this book, but hers is a story to be told. Once again, Little People, Big Dreams proves to be informative for both children and adults.
I love this series, and this book is one of the best in it – I'll definitely be buying it for my nephews and for friends' kids. The artwork is gorgeous and the words really get across the nature of Hadid's work, why it's important, and what she had to overcome. Also it's ideal for people (like me) who live in Glasgow as Hadid designed the Riverside Museum, which houses the Museum of Transport. Really recommend this.
What a great set of little books these are and especially Zaha Hadid’s. At first I thought the illustration a bit naive but after really looking I thought them perfect, I found myself looking at them properly and they added the extra interesting touch that set the book off perfectly. These books are a definitely a must for any child’s book shelf.
Zaha Hadid is part of the Little People, Big Dreams series. Personally, I had never heard of Zaha Hadid, so reading this book was an educational experience for me! Zaha Hadid excelled in math and art as a young girl and ultimately became an architect. She was a pioneer in the field as she designed buildings that were new and different from traditional designs. Hadid became known as the "Queen of the Curve" and, as an Arab woman, brought change to a male-dominated industry.

A timeline at the back of the book provides additional information about Hadid's family, career, and innovation. This book would make a great addition to an elementary school collection. It is important to help young children recognize people that were influential in shaping different industries and we have typically focused on the men that made great discoveries. It is refreshing to see more titles about women who were/are trailblazers.

I received a free copy of this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

#ZahaHadid #NetGalley
Another wonderful addition to this fabulous series!  My daughter loves these books!  We enjoyed learning about Zaha Hadid and will continue to read books in this series!
This is a series that has grown and grown in our store, and it's always exciting to see who turns up on the covers.  I was happy to see Zaha Hadid, as I am familiar with her, thanks to another picture book called, The World Is Not a Rectangle by Jeanette Winter.

Any book that opens our eyes to talented and interesting people, is a good book, and this is no exception.  Zaha Hadid had a vision and a passion, and she didn't let the convention of straight lines stop her from creating ground breaking architecture.  It's the sort of book that makes you want to go out and learn more, and that's what I did.  I encourage all readers of this book to research the buildings Zaha created...prepare to be amazed.

I think it's easy to dismiss these titles as simplistic, but I think they are a great introduction to influential and interesting people in our world, and in our history. They're a starting point, encouraging readers to find out more.
'Zaha Hadid' by Ma Isabel Sanchez Vegara with illustrations by Asun Amar is part of the Little People, Big Dreams series.

Zaha Hadid grew up in Bagdad.  She was interested in art and design from an early age.  She later studied at the University of Beirut and had unusual ideas about architectural design.  She imagined some of the most unusual buildings in the modern world.

I love this series and read all of them that I'm offered.  The brief bios are well done and some times I even learn something new.  I certainly did this time around.  I loved Asun Amar's colorful, contrasting illustration style.  It made the story vibrant and interesting.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens, and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
I am a big admirer of Zaha Hadid works, especially for the beauty of the floating spaces and the ingenious ways to display curved shapes and volumes that seems to contradict any classical categorization. She was a brave woman in an industry run by men. The first woman coming from the Middle East who made her voice heard so so far away that become a trailblazer for women in architecture and women professionals in general.
'A true pioneer who dreamt of the future and dared to build the impossible', as it is described in this inspired illustrated book. The language is accessible and the illustrations are colourful and appealing therefore it makes it into a book that targets a big variety of readers, from preschool children to curious adults. It helps to make Zaha Hadid works known for a wider audience while encourages the reader to start searching more about her achievements. I personally had the chance to see some of her works in real life and they face the viewer with an impression of overwhelming mathematical beauty.
A book worth reading to your children, definitely.
This installment of Little People, Big Dreams covers of the story of Zaha Hadid, a Muslim woman who revolutionized the architecture industry in a  time when men, boxes, and straight lines dominated the field. I love this series for how it highlights remarkable individuals who readers may have never heard of but who have changed the world in their own ways.

The ‘My First Little People, Big Dreams’ series provides informative and inspirational biographies about people who left a mark on this earth, no matter what difficulties they have encountered.
These stories are very short, but that’s because they’re books for children, so it’s totally understandable.
I think they are a very smart and wonderful way to introduce little children to such important figures.
This one here is about Zaha Hadid, a visionary Iraqi-British architect. She was not just a creative woman, but also a brave one. She was a muslim woman who imposed herself in a world of men. A true inspiration.