Cover Image: Zaha Hadid

Zaha Hadid

I worked in a school that had a house named Hadid. Students took pride in being in her house: especially those of Muslim decent.
This will be an inspiring and empowering book that young Muslims will embrace. The small people, big dreams books are, as a collection, demonstrating how diversity and overcoming adversity make the world a much greater place.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for granting me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Another lovely example of this series which offers children the chance to find out about the lives of famous people. Perfect for the class library!
I didn't know much about Zaha Hadid prior to this, but it's nice to see women in architechture featured in these little fun books!
Zaha Hadid by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara focuses on the true story of one of Iraq's most inspirational architects. From a young age, Zaha exhibited great creativity. She would go on to found her own architectural firm, and design some of the most impressive buildings of modern day. The end of the book contains a more detailed look at her life, using language suited for much older readers. As with all the books in this series, there's plenty of quirky art to bring it to life for younger readers.

***Many thanks to the Netgalley & Quarto Publishing for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I first learned about Hadid in another picture book, The World Is Not a Rectangle: A Portrait of Architect Zaha Hadid. It was great to see that this innovative pioneer's life is being adapted so that younger readers may learn of her life, work, and legacy.
I only learned who Zaha Hadid was after she died, but she was a fascinating person. She was a trailblazer in architecture, and she was the first woman to do many things in her field. She worked hard her entire life and created her own success.

I’m so glad this is a children’s book about an inspiring woman. It’s important for children to see that you can do anything if you work hard. Zaha was often the only woman and the only Muslim in the room, but she didn’t let anything stop her.

I really liked this new children’s book.

Thank you Frances Lincoln Children’s Books for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Zaha Hadid's work is phenomenal and I'm amazed everytime I see it. Before she passed away, she designed the new building for Bee'ah here in UAE and I honestly want to work there in the future even if it's somewhat far from home. It's so amazing, I'm rendered speechless.

This book was a nice and short introduction to Zaha but I wasn't a big fan of the artstyle.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with the digital copy for an honest review.
I hadn't heard of Hadid before, and that's a shame. We get plenty of books about suffragettes and athletes but not a lot about other professionals. We tell kids to be themselves, to think their own way. Hadid's story is a perfect object lesson for that idea. Because it's her unique perspective that allowed her to literally change landscapes.
This book is so sweet! I love it.
I didn't know the story, but I loved the way the author wrote it.
Definitely recommend it!
Great biography about a woman many have probably never heard of, I know I hadn't before this. I loved the way the narrative moved and showcased the designs that were specific to her. The biographical information is light enough to hold the reader's attention with a slightly more in-depth explanation of her life at the end with photos of Hadid.
As always this was a well written beginning biography.  I love that the series is branching out to names not well known by all such as Zaha Hadid a famous architect who passed away just a few years ago.  As always I love the pictures in the back of the real person, and just wish that in this case, they had added a few real pictures of her buildings as well.
#BBRC #AtoZ
#LitsyAtoZChildrens
I adore this series! I just cannot get over how much I love these little character profiles, from the stories all the way down to the artwork. What a joy to read and share with my daughters!
A great addition to the Little People series. We have a stunning Zaha Hadid building in the city of Antwerp, which I pass every day on the journey to work. I will be defintiely adding this to my library collection, students will enjoy making the connections between Zaha's work and our cities buildings.
I really enjoy The Little People, Big Dreams series. They are short, pictorial biographies for historical people, some well-known, others not. Zaha Hadid is someone I had not heard of before. That made this story quite interesting to me as I was learning about someone new. As always, the plot is fast but that’s to be expected in a book geared to younger children, it is a taste of the subject. Zaha Hadid was definitely an entrepreneur in her own field and this came from the fact that she was not afraid to experiment and to do things no one had ever done before. This showed her bravery, determination, and creativity. As with all the books in this series, it features stylish and quirky illustrations and extra facts at the back, including a biographical timeline with historical photos and a detailed profile of the architect's life. This is a child friendly biography with delightful illustrations. It is a story that shows a young woman striving to achieve her dream. This book could be used to teach young children how to write a biography, show that it is important to have a dream and strive to achieve it as well as to introduce them to this little known architect. A good book for a school library.
Disclaimer I received a copy as an ARC via NetGalley.

I very recently reviewed another book in this series (Mary Shelley) so there may be similarities between the reviews.

I absolutely love this series of biographies. They are very condensed but digestible for young readers to get an introduction to the lives of thinkers, writers, creators etc. Zaha Hadid is such an icon in the art/architecture world that I am extremely appreciative she is being introduced to kids. She was so many firsts in the world of architecture: first woman to win the top prize, first muslim person, first person to create such undulating buildings. I also liked how the illustration style seemed to fit Zaha's personal design aesthetic.
Another wonderful addition to this beautiful series. Simply story with lovely illustrations. There is even more detailed information at the end for those who want to learn more.
Admittedly I didn't know who Zaha was before reading this book. I read it for the first time with my children who thought her buildings looked cool but struggled with understanding why it was new for a woman to be an architect.

This book would be ideal for using in timeline activities, POC (persons of colour) focus units, and STEM literacy lessons.

I found this one okay but I wasn't as drawn to it as much as previous ones. I'm not sure why..
I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review. I did not know much about Hadid and this book meant for kids was a perfect way to learn about her.
I love this series of books. The illustrations are always vibrant and wonderful and the story is condensed yet gives a good overview of the person's life.
"She was a planet in her own orbit."

I have finally gotten my hands on a Little People Big Dreams book! These books have always fascinated me when I passed by them at Waterstones, or when they teased me from my amazon recommended, and finally I have managed to read one! I am a sucker for a good illustrated children book about real life heroes, and Zaha Hadid just happened to be one of my favourites. I have always admired her work, and reading about her story always puts a smile on my face, and this book was no exception. The illustration were simple yet adorable, and portrayed diversity very well. The story was obvious told so a child could understand it, but I specially appreciated the last page containing a chronological timeline of her life as well as more in-depth information on Zaha Hadid.
All in all this was a really cute read that inspired me to experiment and dare a little more.