Guarding the Single Mother

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Sep 2019

Clint Backwater is an ex Navy SEAL who owns a gun range and mostly just minds his own business. Then one day Leila Ortiz and her son Thomas walk into his business asking to buy a gun. Leila is a single mother with an ex who just got released from prison. Mike, the ex, is mixed up with the wrong crowd and thinks Leila is his property.

As things escalate between Mike and Leila, Clint is determined to protect her and Thomas but to what cost and how far is he willing to go to help this almost stranger?
I received a copy of this book from the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first time I have read anything by Leslie North (that I know of...it is a pseudonym after all!), and definitely won't be the last!

In Guarding the Single Mother, the first book in the SEAL Endgame series, retired SEAL Clint Blackwater lives for his solitary life running a gun shop and shooting range in Las Vegas, until Leila Ortiz comes into his life and into his shop. Leila and her young son are clearly in trouble and running away from something, and she desperately wants a gun. Clint refuses to sell her one until she's been properly trained how how to use it safely, and ends up realizing that maybe he doesn't need to be a loner...

This was a nice, quick, engaging read! I love the chemistry between the characters, the premise, and will definitely be reading other books by this author!

5 stars!
Even when you begin this book and you have an idea as to how the story is going to end. The author takes you on a journey as if you are really going through a single mom’s nightmare of her ex-husband is released from prison and she was not notified. After one confrontation Leila walks into a gun store owned by ex-Seal Clint Backwater, he refuses to sell her a gun but tells her to come back later after he closes. Now with her 18-month-old he finds a woman to watch the little one and begins to go through the process of training her at firing a weapon. When he finds out the next day that her ex showed up at her house and she needs a place to stay the man who wants to be a loner takes her and her child in. Here begins the closeness and with her still coming to the range there is something building inside of him that he has never felt. He problem is can he get Leila to stay and not leave town. A very good book and one that shows just how frightening it is for women out their against their ex’s either husbands or boyfriends even if you follow through with the paperwork it is still just paper and they can do something to them. A very good story.
This was another great quick read from Leslie North.  I enjoyed reading this book.
I liked how the relationship between Clint and Leila progressed. I could really picture Clint in my head and I love that he immediately felt the attraction to Leila eventhough she had Thomas.  He was such a strong man but I absolutely adored the part where he gives him the stuffed animal his parents gave him.  My heart melted. I also loved that Leila was able to stand up to her ex.
Clint, a retired Navy SEAL, enjoys his solitary life as the owner of the Ask Questions Later gun range.  Leila Ortiz, along with her 18 month old son, shows up at the range panicked and desperate for a gun.  Clint knows that something is wrong and although he made a promise to never get emotionally involved and invested in people because it gets messy and people leave.  But he feels a pull to help this woman and her son.

Leila's ex-husband is being released form prison early and she is unprepared to protect herself and her son.  Clint refuses to give her a gun without lessons and she agrees to come back to the range to learn.  Clint has always been a loner, but when Leila and her son walk into his life, he realizes that maybe being alone isn't what he needs.  The budding relationship between Clint and Leila is put to the test when Leila believes she may have to leave him behind and go on the run again.

This story has a very good plot and I loved the characters.  It had it all: funny moments when he's trying to charm the baby, steamy moments and some intense ones as well.  I look forward to the next book in the series, Guarding His Pretend Wife.

Thanks to Netgalley and Relay Publishing for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sexy and hot!! With characters you'll love a a great story behind the characters. A definite just get it you like military romances!
This book was so cliché and so thinking steamy that I could not put it down. The age gap romance was enough to pull you in with the romance between Clint and Leila that you want them together. I will say that there are trigger warnings of domestic violence and child endangerment in certain scenes. But other than that this was a solid read for me. When a 30 something-year-old retired Navy seal has his eyes set he would do everything in his power to make sure he accomplishes his mission. In this case, it was guarding a single mother!
This book was just OK. It wasn’t great and it wasn’t terrible. There was no real chemistry between Leila and Clint and the romance between them moved to quickly to get invested in it. I did enjoy Leila standing up for herself and doing her best to protect her child. It was a sweet story and a quick read and they did get their happy ever after in the end.
Such a satisfying book !
 I loved the use of a military Seal to protect a mother and her son. The characters were good and their actions believable. It was nice reading a story where you knew the out come. While this book has some drama, there is not a whole lot of depth or mystery to it. A great read when you want a story you know will have the expected outcome.
**I received a copy of Guarding the Single Mother from Relay Publishing and Net Galley in exchange for a voluntary and honest review. My opinions expressed below were not solicited in any way.**

Guarding the Singer Mother by Leslie North is the first book in her SEAL Endgame series. I love Ms. North Military Romance series so I was very excited to see there was a new series to read. Even though this is a short story I loved it. With this in mind I give it the full 5 star rating.

Leila Ortiz is desperate for a gun to protect her son and herself because surprise her ex-husband is being released due to good behavior from prison. So when she walks into Ask Question Later and Clint Blackwater refuses to sell her a hand gun without lessons she's scared. But when she says she'll take them but only with him after she gets done at work little does she know that Clint will become her protector. When Clint offers her a place to stay because her ex has slashed tires and his MC club makes threats towards both her and son as well as Clint's business Leila accepts his offer.

Clint finds that he's falling love when Leila decides to pack up and move to Puerto Rico and he'll do whatever is necessary to convince her to stay.

There's a snippet at the end for the next book in the series, "Guarding his Pretend Wife" which I've already started reading.
GUARDING THE SINGLE MOTHER is an intense beginning to the SEAL Endgame series by Leslie North. Leila needs protection from her abusive, gang member ex-husband who is now out of prison on an early release for “good behavior”. Yeah, right. He’s coming after her and her son Thomas and she’s promised herself she will not run but it’s hard and she needs a gun. Which brings her to the man who never looked for forever, Clint. Ex-SEAL, gun shop owner, gun trainer. He knows she got trouble written all over her frightened face, and buying a gun with no clue how to handle it is not happening on his watch. But when she returns with determination in her eyes Clint will step up to teach – and ultimately to defend a woman and child who swiftly capture the heart he was certain was stone cold.

I enjoyed GUARDING THE SINGLE MOTHER very much. It’s very easy to fall into the story, the plot is intense at places, sexy at others, and laugh out loud moments as one very sexy SEAL learns how to charm a baby into doing what he says… and often funny results. I get that Leila is afraid to trust anyone again, yet it seemed to take a long time to put her trust into a man who stood beside her during some of the most dangerous and difficult moments in recent memory. Clint knows he wants this woman, this baby boy as his – now he just has to convince the woman he loves to take a risk on him and trust in them being perfect for each other. I’m definitely looking forward to continuing the series with GUARDING HIS PRETEND WIFE.

*I received an e-ARC of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley. That does not change what I think of this story. It is my choice to leave a review giving my personal opinion about this book.*
Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a copy of Guarding the Single Mother in exchange for an honest review.

Wow doesn’t cover how well the book inside this book was handle. It doesn’t include either how respectful and nonintrusive, the main male character is.

1. She's a strong, badass woman.
2. He's very kind and giving.

I truly enjoyed my way throughout this story. Can't wait to read the other books.

Trigger Warning: Mention of domestic violence, guns and the use of those guns, mention of jail and a brief mention of gang violence, mention of ex-husband stalking, fear of their live and baby.
Good book that didn’t just rely on steamy sex scenes to move the story.  I have to admit I loved Clint more than Leila, she made some crazy decisions that I couldn’t get behind.  But all in all a great afternoon read, well worth the time.
This book was an ok read for me. I would have liked this book more if Leila wasn’t such an idiot. Not one of my favorite type of heroine.
I enjoyed this fast paced story..  I especially liked Clint; a buff, bad ass retired SEAL, but his humility made him more realistic.  Watch out for Leila if she goes Mama Bear on you!  Likeable characters.  Mild steam.  Fun read.
This was a good, fast read, if a little predictable. I feel like this author is writing a lot of books lately!
Thank you to netgalley for the ARC.
This book was cheesy to the max. Storyline was promising though fell short in delivery for me. Couldn’t connect or understand what the MC saw in each other besides basically lust. There were some cheesy lines that had me rolling my eyes. And for some reason when I read the endearment, “honey” in a romance novel it makes me cringe. Just seems out of place for me. Easy and quick read. For my happily ever after fix. Could have had more sex though haha
Great, quick read. Leila is a single mom coming out of an abusive relationship. Clint is a former Seal with a damaged past also. Together they form a bond and he helps her move on from her past. Great, steamy read!! Definitely recommend
Guarding the Single Mother is everything you'd expect from a Leslie North romance. A hunky hero who is just a bit leary of forming relationships, a strong woman beaten down by her past which she is determined to overcome and a kick ass storyline that brings them together in the best way possible. This novel is a short and to the point-good guy saves single mom from bad guy...or does she save the good guy? Do they save each other? Either way, this first book in the SEAL Endgame series is a must read. The writing is well done and flows from one scene to the next with no gaps or feeling that you missed anything. The characters are fully developed with back stories that are easy to follow and allow you to relate emotionally, with how they handle the situations they are thrown into. The characters, Clint and Leila, are also very like able, which to me is very important. I look forward to the next installment in this series.
I read this book but didn't really feel much of anything towards the characters.  Both were supposed to be damaged by previous experiences with domestic abuse and the fostering system, but that was background not something really explored within the story line.  I felt it was very much a surface book rather than in depth character development