Cover Image: The Secret of Cold Hill

The Secret of Cold Hill

This isn’t a book I would usually choose to read and was originally intrigued by the cover however once I started it was difficult to put down.
It is about Jason and Emily who move into their dream house on a new estate being built on the land of the old Cold Hill House. Not long after they move in strange things start to happen that don’t make sense, turning to older members of the community who don’t want new people here and telling them that nobody in the new estate lives past 40 anyway! They start to do some research while living through some strange occurrences.
It’s a great book and a fast read.
This was a nice little 'ghost story' that you don't realise is a ghost story.  I'd not read the first book - in fact I didn't know there was a first book until after I'd finished this, so previous knowledge wasn't needed.  I liked the way the story unfolded, giving little bits of confusion to make  you wonder what was real.
Really enjoyed this. I thought I might struggle because I couldn’t remember what happened in the first book but it didn’t really matter. There were plenty of explanations throughout the book so you the got the just of everything anyway. The chapters were short and sharp (which is always a bonus) and very typical of Peter James. It was spooky without being scary and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A third book could definitely find its way out of the ending.
I found this thrilling story very scary to be honest. It made my blood run cold with fear at times. I was hooked from the first page. Highly recommended. Five stars

Many thanks to netgalley and Peter James for the advanced copy of this book. I agreed to give my unbiased opinion voluntarily.
Brilliant gripping ghost story , I love Peter James writing , he takes you there . This story takes you into the lives of the characters and you can feel all the emotions in this brilliantly written sequel.
I love Peter James books and I've always wanted to try and read a ghost story but have always been too scared!

Peter James didn't let me down at all with his writing style and plot, I just let myself down that I'm such a wuss. Fans of ghost stories will enjoy the scary tale of Cold Hill...for me, I'm going to stick with Roy Grace!

4 stars for the writing alone.

Thanks to Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book, this is my hones opinion
I really enjoyed this. I didn't realise it was the second in the series. That doesn't matter as it works well as a stand alone but reading the blurb for book 1 some of the characters overlap and it will be interesting to go back and see how everything started.

Cold Hill House replaces an original house that had previously burnt down. Rumours are that no male that lives there survives to his 40th birthday. Jason (and wife Emily) Danes move in and soon learn this. Lots of strange ghostly happenings occur, quite a few that only Jason can see or even remember the next day.

There are some really interesting characters. It's creepy but I wasn't overly scared however it did keep me hooked to the end as you work out what the story is building up to. Overall a good read and I will go back and see how the series started.
A beautiful new home, excited new owners but even after the original house on Cold Hill burned to the ground its secrets are still coming to the surface. A good read for lovers of ghost stories.
Enjoyable book by Peter James featuring a new development of luxury houses built on the grounds of previous Cold Hill House that was burnt down and the new ownerrs experience ghostly happenings and no one lives beyond forty years.
Jason and Emily Danes are in the market for a new home.  The area must be quiet and the home modern.  When they find the newly built house on Cold Hill they are thrilled.  They buy it and settle in to enjoy the space, the scenery, the luxurious and ultra modern kitchen, and Jason's art studio on the upper floor.  But things seem to be a bit off.  There are mysterious footsteps upstairs, cold drafts which suddenly appear out of nowhere and their only neighbors are having similar experiences.

I really enjoyed this book.  I found it to be well written and very entertaining.  The characters were believable and while the story line wasn't the most original, it was presented in a delightfully creepy way.  I have not read the first book in this series, but definitely plan to.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author Peter James, and the publisher Pan Macmillan, for the free ARC I received in return for an honest review.
An exclusive, new build estate near Brighton.  Emily and Jason move into the nicest house, but live to regret their decision.  There was the odd, creepy moment but mainly I thought it was comical with absolutely nothing chilling or scary in the book at all, so it was disappointing.  I would have enjoyed a book about the snobbish neighbours rather than Emily and Jason!  Despite the fact it wasn’t frightening it was still enjoyable and very easy to get into.
A successful and likable couple move to a stunning new house, which is part of  a new-build estate on the edge of a village. Typically the locals are not keen on these people moving to their rural idyll. The big house is built on the site of an old stately home that burnt down, killing those who lived there. There are stories of peculiar deaths and funny goings-on.

In the house itself, things start to go wrong, such as the technology malfunctioning, the television coming on by itself, the microwave exploding and so on. Not to mention the shadows and strange apparitions that appear then disappear again. All spooky stuff.

The story starts quietly with the signs of ghosts and builds up with time slips and more bizarre happening. None of this is original and the book reminds me of several other stories that I won't mention because it will give the ending away. Because of this, I did predict the ending. However, this does not detract from the story at all, as the journey to that point is confusing, terrifying and exciting.

The point of view is from the husband who lives in the big house and one of the neighbours. The husband is a successful artist who lacks confidence and suffers from OCD, thus adding depth to the story and an interesting personal psychological aspect.

The Secret of Cold HIll is a sequel to The House on Cold Hill, which I have not read, but this story stands alone well. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who likes ghost stories.
This is a sequel to Peter James' book "The House on Cold Hill". I enjoyed that book so I figured I would like this one too.

The first book is a classic haunted house story. A couple moves into an old mansion, and the usual haunting, going crazy and figting back against the ghosts in various ways ensues.

In this book, the mansion has been knocked down to make way for a new housing estate. So now, instead of one house being on the grounds, it's a whole estate full of houses. Most of them are unsold as yet, but a couple of them are occupied. Apart from that, and I can't stress this enough, THIS BOOK IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE FIRST ONE. EXACTLY. THE. SAME.

Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed reading it, because I enjoyed the first one so obviously I would enjoy this one too. The main characters, the couple who move into the big house, are pretty much the same as the couple from the first book. Okay, so their characters are a little bit tweaked and nuanced, but no. They are the same. A bit of light relief is given in the second book by the middle class "Mrs Bucket" type neighbours over the road, who are entertaining and this is certainly a different aspect in this book compared to the first one.

I did like the fact that it seemed very similar at first, because I was expecting it to go off in a different direction, like these guys would do something to break the chain. Again, it was a bit different because there are different ghosts featured than were in the first book, but that really didn't change things much. Nothing amazing happens that didn't happen already in the first book.

This seems like a negative review, but it's not entirely. I did enjoy this book. Peter James is a great writer and this book is just as well written. It's easy to read and it is enjoyable. The ghosty bits are suitably chilling. I think I was just a little disappointed, and I expected it to be different. I don't really understand the author's motivation to write this.

For once in my life I would probably recommend this book to anyone who either hasn't read the first book or read it a long time ago, because I think you might get more out of it that way. On the other hand, you do get some background information from the first book, so maybe it wouldn't work. I don't know! If you like classic horror and a good old haunted house story then you will definitely enjoy this book. That's the bottom line I guess, and the rest is just dust in the wind.
Read this in one day, but not quite as good as the first book in the series.  I can't quite put my finger on why, but one thing was that none of the characters were particularly likeable.

Peter's writing is excellent and I think the Roy Grace series is great, but this one didn't quite live up to expectations.   Sorry Peter....
I loved revisiting the spookiness of Cold Hill, and the secrets it held, even after getting destroyed.

The secret of cold hill kept me hooked from the first page right up to last page. Loved the whole 4oth idea too,

Another excellent book by Peter James
I'm a fan of Peter James and usually enjoy his books,  but sadly this book didn't really make a great impression on me. It's the second in the paranormal/ghost series of Cold Hill books and has four main characters, Emily and Jason Danes, who are likeable enough and Claudette and Maurice Penze-Weedell, who are fairly awful (think about Hyacinth Bucket and her husband Richard from the TV sitcom 'Keeping Up Appearances' - there are distinct similarities) who have bought newly built houses at Cold Hill which come complete with ghosts. I found this book easy enough to read, but a bit predictable. I'm sure it will appeal to people who like ghost stories but it's not one of my favourite genres.
Memo to self - always read the plot summary before choosing an advance review copy to read!

Having read all of Peter James’s Roy Grace novels I eagerly looked forward to reading this novel, expecting something along the lines of the Grace books, but with a different and new lead detective. So it was something of a surprise to find myself wading through a supernatural thriller that had, in this reader’s opinion, little to commend it. In truth, it perhaps was not so much of a shock as I initially thought, since a developing - and moderately irritating - plot line in the Roy Grace novels has become evident,, as we have seen increasing references to mediums and other spiritual/supernatural phenomena. In the case of The Secret of Cold Hill, this theme is given full rein and the reader is treated to a not very scary thriller that leads to a predictable and disappointing ending. The narrative is also disappointingly disjointed and inconsistent; this is a genre that has provided fertile ground for some great writers, but - in this instance - the dots really don’t connect at all well. Supernatural phenomena are always going to stretch credulity, but it is helpful if novels exploring this theme are internally consistent and well-developed. This wasn’t.

It is with regret that I write such a negative review for a Peter James novel, as he has given me enormous pleasure in his other books. Many other reviewers do not share my negative views, so it is probably a case of enjoyment being in the eye and mind of the reader.
This is the second book in a ghost story series and is a spine tingling, chilling tale. It can easily be read as a stand alone story. It continues the story in book one,  but a new housing estate has been built on the site of the old house and the previous 'residents' again put in an appearance, ensuring that none of the current owners live past their 40th birthday.  A great read!
I really enjoyed this book so much.  It has a really great plot, superb main characters and I read it in one sitting.  I would highly recommend this book.
This is book #2 of the Cold Hill series.  It can be read as a standalone though as the back story from the first book, The House on Cold Hill is explained throughout the book.   The book picks up the story where the original House on Cold Hill has been demolished and new houses are being built on the land.  As families begin to move in, they all find they are experienced unexplained phenomenon as the past residents of Cold Hill begin to make themselves known to them….

I read the first book of the series a few years ago, and whilst I could sort of remember the storyline, I needed to go back and read a few reviews just to refresh my memory!  What I did remember was that book was a scary read and this one was just as frightening!!  The main characters are Jason Danes and his wife Emily, who move into the house built on the footprint of the original Cold Hill House, and their neighbours across the road, Claudette and Maurice Penze-Weedell.  They are the only residents to have moved onto the new estate, and yet they all have the sense that there are other people living there too.

Whilst I’m used to this author writing in the crime genre, I have to admit he does know how to write a seriously creepy read.  The suspense and tension that built up throughout the book had me reading parts from behind a cushion and the descriptions turned my stomach, particularly the building site accident (no spoilers!!).  The characters were great and really added to the story!!  I couldn’t believe the Danes stayed in the house - I would have been out of there at the first sign of a ghost – and I just wanted to give them a good slap to get them to wake up and smell the ghostly apparitions!  The Penze-Weedell’s were the neighbours from hell with their Christmas decorations and Prosecco!

This was your typical ghost story, plain and simple.  It was scary, creepy and horrifying.  I was hooked from the very beginning; it made my heart beat faster in all the right places and had me jumping out of my skin!  Just don’t do what I did and read it when I couldn’t sleep at night…those night-time shadows all became something very sinister!  Would definitely recommend!