Cover Image: The Forbidden Promise

The Forbidden Promise

I was a little disappointed in this book as when I read the description beforehand I thought it would be a great read as I’ve holidayed in Dorset many times, in fact I visited it only this year. It is a beautiful part of the country with fantastic scenery and wonderful coastal walks.
I obviously knew about the forgotten village and have visited it a very long time ago. So, I was interested to see what this story revealed.
Unfortunately it turned out to be just another romantic story and not what I was hoping for.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
The forgotten promise by Lorna cook a book about a country estate with a troubled past  - two stories one in the past one current .
Kate a successful PR writer leaves her successful job under a cloud as she is harassed at the Xmas party by a client and the clients wife interpreted as them having an affair, which is not true. She leaves and accepts a job promoting a rural Scottish estate. On her way there she almost runs over a runner in her hire car. When she arrives there she is very shaken then discovers James the man in the incident is her boss although she was employed by James’s mother. The estate has crippling debt and  her job is to turn it round. Whilst doing so they discover the estate has a tragic past set in war time. As the house has its own loch they try to drum up publicity about a monster and a film crew comes to film the loch and then more of the story comes to light.

It was a lovely story. The part relating to past had one or two twists which made it a more interesting read and both stories tied together beautifully.
Dual timelines...1940 and 2019...set in Scotland.  A downed pilot is rescued in 1940 that sets the stage for romance, secrets and death that weaves both time periods together in order to solve the mystery.  For me it was a fast read, one that I felt was well written and kept me drawn into. As this was the first book I've read by Ms. Cook, I will not buy her first book "The Forgotten Village."   My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book!

I'm new to the Timeslip genre and this is the second Lorna Cook novel I've read. This novel intertwines around the down-on-its-luck Scottish estate of Invermoray, a beautifully described place that it's the real-world's bad luck that it doesn't actually exist, as it sounds wonderfully romantic.

The 1940's part centres around Constance, the young lady of the house, whom the 'forbidden promise' of the title is centred around. Unhappy at not being allowed to do anything for the war effort, her world is turned upside down by being in the right place at the right time when a plane crashes in the estate's lake.

In the present day, Kate takes the job to turn the crumbling estate's fortunes around, though things are complicated by her relationship with the master of the house. Gradually, her curiosity about the previous house's occupants becomes a quest to find out what had happened to Constance.

I'm not going to go into anymore details about the story, as I've already given too much away. Suffice to say, the story is beautifully told and has the most wonderful twist at the end that I really didn't see coming. Don't fret, it is so believably written that it all makes sense.

If you're looking for a novel to keep you guessing and that will give you that warm feeling of satisfaction, then this is the novel for you.

My thanks to Avon and Netgalley for the pleasure of reading.
I really enjoyed this book anything set in Scotland is always a hit.
I liked the way it went seamlessly between the 1940s and the 1990s.
I would recommend this to fans of judith lennox  and Rachel hore.
A great book to snuggle up with on a winter's day
The Forbidden Promise is a well written historical novel set in 1940 Scotland and present day.  I loved the Scottish setting, and the dual storylines worked very well.  Recommended for fans of 1940's historical fiction.
The book is set in Scotland and Invermory house. One part in 1949 and another in 1999. Constance in 1940 is having a lavish 21st birthday party mainly consisting of her parent's friend. After she fends off a would be suitor she witnesses a plane crashing into the sea. She rescues the surviving occupant by herself and that is the beginning of a love story and a tragedy.

In 1999 Kate leaves her job under a cloud and is hired to help Liz and her son James to build up a bed and breakfast business at Invermory house. Kate finds an old family bible with one of the family names struck from it,wiped out of history. That name is Constance. Kate is determined to find out what happened with this young woman that her family could never forgive.

I loved this story it's even better than the author's first book. Constance was such a lovely person who wasn't treated well by her family and my heart went out to her.
Both timelines were good stories in their own right and both came together at the end.
I was sad to finish it.
Great read!! The author was very good at describing the scenes and setting a sense of place for the reader.
It was the first time I had read Lorna Cook, but it won't be the last. The plot is great and so well written. I enjoyed every page.
I loved the storyline about the B&B. It's so sweet and moving.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
This book is set in Scotland during 1940. and 2019 and flits back and forth between these times. Based around Invermoray House beginning on the night of the main character Constance McLay's 21st birthday, On witnessing a Spitfire crash into the loch she Rescues a pilot.

2019- Kate arrives in the Highlands to turn Invermoray into a luxury B&B, What she discovers is the house holds a dark history.

This book held me captive to the end. As each chapter flitted between 1940 and 2019, I couldn’t wait to get back to continue where the previous chapter ended in that era. The writer gave just enough away in each year to hold you over to the next chapter covering that year. I never anticipated the ending. A great read for fans of Lorna Cook.
Fun, easy to read, good story if a little predictable in places. Also, rather too long, hence it gets draggy in places. Not quite as good as the author’s first outing, ‘The Forgotten Village’, but still good. Nice touch to have one of the major characters from the first story re-appear here in a cameo role.
Thank you so much for the ARC of The Forbidden Promise by Lorna Cook. I read this in two days and stayed up way past my bedtime both nights to read. Historical fiction set in Scotland in 1940 and travels back to the present day throughout. There's mystery and romance. I could not put this down.
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.

I really enjoyed this story of two timelines.  One set in the 40s and the other, present day in the same home: Invermoray House.  Matthew and Constance‘s storyline was very interesting and at times suspenseful, wondering how their relationship would fare.  I found the descriptions of the ghillie cottage as well as of Invermoray House were written so beautifully, it made me want to book a night at both!  In the present day storyline, Kate and James are working so diligently to open Invermoray House as essentially a B&B, all while fighting feelings for one another.

Overall, I’m rating this book 4 stars.  I enjoyed the setting descriptions and character development.
The Forbidden Promise by Lorna Cook came as a pleasant surprise to me.  Set in my own backyard of the Moray Firth in north east Scotland, it tells two stories linked by one house.  One takes place in 1940 and the other today and both feature young women struggling to find their places in the world.  I thought both of them were well developed and came off the page.  It is true that some of the story turns on well-worn plot devices but these are handled lightly.  In fact my only real quibble with the book is the dreadful rendering of how the author hears the local accent - interestingly only used by two of the characters.  That was off-putting and perhaps needs to be edited out of the final version at the same time as one or two facts are checked.
I was given an advance copy of Lorna Cook’s 1st book The Forgotten Village and really enjoyed it, so I was happy to see her second book available for advance review. I think I loved this book even better than the first one.

The story takes place at a Scottish country house called Invermoray, (what a great name). The book is a dual time line taking place in 1940 and present time. In 1940 Constance is celebrating her 21st birthday with a grand party. She feels it is a bit in bad taste with the war going on but her parents insist. While taking a much needed breather from the party and her brother’s odious friend, she witnesses a plane crash into the Loch. She rescues the pilot, Matthew and offers him sanctuary in the Ghillie’s cottage. What happens next is the mystery on the story.

In modern times Kate is hired by Liz to help turn Invermoray house into a bed and breakfast. Kate does not realize that the house is in a lot of debt and that Liz’s son James has come home to assist, he is less than pleased to have Kate come into what he feels is his territory. Kate is determined to make a success of the venture she was hired to do, despite James’ attitude. While working to save the house, Kate stumbles on the mystery of Constance and Matthew. What happened all those years ago and why is no one willing to tell the story?

This was a great dual time story that addresses some of the parts of war that is not often discussed, namely that not every soldier was eager to give his life for country, no matter what the expectations of the time are. I really enjoyed this book it has my favorites, dual time periods, a period house, and a mystery. I would like to think Avon books and Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book.
I read The Forgotten Village and loved it so was very keen to read this. ?It didn't disappoint!

It was two romance stories rolled into one with a stunning Scottish house called , Invermoray on the banks of a loch at its core.
One story is set in the present day when there is a PR exec trying to get the house back to its former glory in looks and style and turn it into a hot destination the war years we see a fighter plane crash land not far from the house and the young girl who lives there goes to save the pilot.

The stories are both very well evoked but it's the setting that links the two stories and glistens like that loch. The waters are deep and mysterious that's for sure. Both compelling stories I was intrigued to see how things would all pan out and I was immersed into a world of mystery across the ages. The house and location are glorious!

There's a lot to discover in this novel and it's one to read over a long weekend wrapped iup in a tartan blanket with a hot chocolate and a scottie dog shortbread to hand.

I recommend this book, it will give you hours of enjoyment.
2 stories  in the same house years apart. From the minute I started the book I was drawn in and could not put it down.  I love the way the author writes, it flowed well.  I could just imagine the characters set In Scotland in the beautiful scenery.
Although it’s not difficult to see where this story is heading, it’s absolutely fine, as it’s a throughly enjoyable time getting there. Cook’s writing makes it easy for the reader to submerge themselves into the world of novel. In this book, we have two narratives and time periods, the modern day and during World War Two. I enjoyed the modern day story and the two leads a little more than the 1940s story, but that’s just a personal preference. Both storylines meld together seamlessly though and I really enjoyed moving back and forth as the stories progressed. The setting is a large country house in Scotland where both narratives merge; I loved seeing the house and estate in both these times and the changes it faced. I really enjoyed the two love stories and how both couples faced great challenges and odds.

Overall, both joined to create a tragic and satisfying story of love, passion, betrayal, misunderstandings and grief.

I would recommend this book and will definitely read more by this author.
This is a gentle story reminding me of Rosamund Pilcher. A pleasant read which I can recommmend but I have to say that it is very predictable. I was able to plan out the book from the early stages and was completely accurate - even to the outcomes of minor characters in the story.
The twist which is revealed in the last 10% of the book was also predictable.
Very well written. The storyline was perfect. I could not out it down. Read the book in one day. The author sucks you in to the plot.