One Week ’Til Christmas

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Nov 2019

I think I  must be the only person who didn't like this book. I couldn't even finish it which is most unlike me. Romantic Christmas stories I normally devour but I just couldn't take to this. I didn't like the characters and the romance seemed a bit stilted to me. I gave up 51% in as I just couldn't see it getting any better.
I described this to Ste as like one of those cozy Netflix Christmas films, and that is the perfect desceiption!

I really loved the mentions of London and recognising places I had been and the character of Isobel was warm and likeable. The book is quite fast paced in relationship terms and you do have to just let yourself go with it – for a romantic like me this wasn’t difficult!

A perfect Winter read for all fans of rom-coms, this book was like a lovely warm hug to read before bed.
This is a super cute festive book! You do have to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, and accept the almost-insta love, but apart from that it was a great time

We follow Isobel as she lands in London for the pre-Christmas period. Almost instantly, she physically bumps into famous actor, Tom, setting their week-long romance into motion

This was just the light fluffy romance I needed in December. The characters were quite vapid and there was no depth to any of it, but it was super enjoyable and a quick read

If you're looking for a quick festive romance to cleanse the palate this December I'd recommend this one
3.5/5 stars

What this story absolutely gets right is the setting. It almost made me miss Christmas in London! Twinkling-light-lined streets, ice-skating in Somerset House, Christmas markets and bottomless glasses of mulled wine all appear and add to the festive atmosphere. The descriptions of the places Isobel visits are woven into the story so seamlessly and add such an enchanting warmth to the narrative, you can’t help but feel the Christmas cheer.

As a main character, I found Isobel interesting and enjoyed watching the world around her through her eyes. There are lots of details about her job and new blog. I found those details were well-used but not over-done. They helped provide a better picture of who Isobel is. Her interactions with her sister and her comments about other members of her family also help the reader to get a sense of who Isobel really is.

Where the story fell, for me, is the lack of chemistry between the two main characters. I just can’t imagine Isobel and Tom together. Their conversations are natural enough but the spark is missing. I never feel a part of or lost in the magic of two lonely people falling in love and finding that special person who truly understands them and wants to be with them. All the elements are there for the magic to happen but somehow it just doesn’t.

Perhaps part of the reason is that we never really get a sense of or grip on Tom’s feelings. The story is told from Isobel’s perspective, which I suppose makes it harder for the writer to really convey the sincerity of Tom’s actions or the depths of his conflict.

Overall, however, I still recommend this novella for anyone who is looking for a quick, festive read as the descriptions are truly infused with the Christmas spirit.
I am generally a sucker for any rom com, so when I saw this book I was really excited to give it a shot.
However, this book just fell short for me. I never felt invested in any of the characters and found myself bored throughout. I felt this book had a lot of potential, it just never really hit the mark.
I am not usually a big fan of books that are written in the first person, but I did enjoy reading this story.
Isobel, a writer meets Tom, a semi-famous actor, when he knocks her over at a bus stop in London.  Although she feels some attraction, she figures she will never see him again.  To her utter surprise and unbeknownst to her, when she arrives at a Theater for an impromptu assignment, Tom is the person that her boss has asked her to interview.  They begin spending time together in and around London.  Isobel knows that she is leaving in a week to go home, but is enjoying spending time with Tom.  The two grow closer, but feel that they have no future as they live in different hemispheres.
We follow them as they get to know each other and fall a little more in love. As with any love story, they have a lot of fun.  Throw in a few misunderstandings along the way and you have yourself a fantastic read.
I recommend the purchase of this book to find out how it all turns out!
Thank you Belinda Missen, HQ Digital and NetGalley for allowing me an advance copy in exchange for my honest feedback.
FINAL RATING: 8/10 ★★★★

This maybe a case of the right book for the right moment, but it was just what I needed; even a little short. One Week 'Til Christmas is a story of Isobel, an Australian travel journalist that goes to London to expend some days before she has to go home for Christmas, on her arrival a man threw her in front of a bus and... Christmas' romance with a found family and the City of London as a secondary character.

What I liked: The main characters, Alfred and that brief journey to London; but most of all the ability of the author to make me feel Isobel and Tom's struggles to balance work and family when I never lived many of those.

What I didn't liked: The ending felt a bit rush but make sense at the same time so... also I couldn't stand Isobel's sister (and her family in general). But what it bothers me the most was the lack of diversity in a context that it's full of it. I'm not one that likes when authors write diversity into their books for the sake of it, but London is one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Plot: 8/10 The story moved with a great pace, and even thought it's a romance that expands through a week it didn't felt rush or unrealistic to me.

Characters: 9/10 In my opinion what makes the book a higher rating than the cozy simple story that it is. I connected with Isobel and the moment of her life a lot. She's at that moment after you're been working for a while, and you got a job just to get on your feet thinking you'll get to your dream job, but it's been x years and you still are in your comfort zone. Tom was also great, we also share a love for theatre, but what I like the most was that he was the Christmas "freak" and a very kind love interest. Also, even though he is a TV/theatre actor, we get to see more of his "normal" persona that all the celebrity stuff (that I personally don't care about).

Setting Descriptions/Atmosphere: 8/10 As I said, London is part of the story and adds to it. It made me what to go and do all the things they did and visit all the places they discovered.

Writing Style: 7/10 I'm not one that normally picks writing styles and such, but there were a few time that I had to reread some lines to pick up what was going on. Other than that it was good.

Entertainment: 8/10 I read this in three days and found myself highly enjoying it. At the begging I was intrigued to see how they'll go from threw in front of a bus to a romance situation; and later the characters and the city moved the story along.

AVERAGE RATING: 8/10

Would I recommend it? Yes! Obviously to anybody that likes Christmas romances; but also if you what to try some, this would be a great introduction not only because the relatable characters but for the atmospheric Christmassy London.

FINAL RATING: 8/10 ★★★★
This was a cute , fast read. It for sure meet the festive ness of the holiday season. My main issue is that is was extremely short, I also had a bit of a difficult  time connecting to the characters. Other than that I did enjoy reading the book.
Thank you to netgalley for providing with me with this eARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was super excited to be approved for this book. Unfortunately it did not resonate with me. While I loved the Christmas setting, I did not connect with the characters. I felt like they were trying too hard to be funny that it wore me out reading it. There was no background for me to get to know the characters or relate to them in any way. It just didn't grasp and hold my attention.
Thank you netgalley for providing me with an arc of this book! I read this book during the tistheseasonathon and it was a really fun, and definitely Christmassy read.
I was expecting more steamy scenes in this book, to be honest and while it was a cute read it wasn´t worth 5 stars. However, I would still recommend it to people who love books with a Christmas setting and a cute little romance. I liked the setting (London during Christmas time is so festive) and I thought the characters were fun to read about it. I could definitely see some chemistry between them but I just wanted more out of that.
Australian travel writer Isobel Bennett is spending a few days in London to soak up all the Christmas atmosphere before travelling home to have family Christmas in a scorching summer. While waiting for the bus, a man literally falls into her lap. There's an instant attraction between them, but he makes a hasty retreat and leaves Isobel behind without even telling her his name. The next morning, Isobel's boss calls her with a new assignment: go interview one of Britain's hottest new actors, Tom Bracken. He's starring in a new play, and he also happens to be the man Isobel met the day before. They get their second chance, but they only have a week together before Isobel has to leave. Seven days together to enjoy all the Christmas fun London has to offer. But what happens after that?

An extraordinary amount of attention was paid to the setting, with every page offering a new festive side of London to explore. From mulled wine and ice skating to getting your picture taken with Santa, the book wasn't just a romance but also a travelogue.

The romance never feels like it's over the top or unbelievable, despite featuring a famous actor. The characters are interesting in their own right, aside from the romance. Their banter and the light-heartedness of their festive activities are countered by some angst and a touch of family drama, but the story never really leaves you feeling like things won't end happily for Isobel and Tom.

This was a very adorable and enchanting story. Entirely predictable, but in the best way possible. It's the perfect book to quickly get into the Christmas spirit, and to leave you feeling warm and fuzzy for days afterwards.
'One week til Christmas' is such a lovely and heartwarming festive read. I am an absolute sucker for charming meet cutes and thought it was both delightful and funny how Isobel and Tom bumped into each other at a busy London bus stop. I also adored the magic of the stars aligning with their jobs in order for them to meet again. Belinda poured so much warmth and cheer in to this gorgeous book and I thoroughly enjoyed being with Isobel and Tom for their festive week of fun and getting to know one another.

I felt a lovely sense of calm getting to join Isobel and Tom while they explored London. Their relationship progressed in a beautiful manner. I loved that they listened to each other and talked and laughed, and while yes they only had a short space of time to get to know one another, their was this magic to their banter, like they had known each other for a long time, and it didn't feel rushed. They were both very joyful characters that came across worldly and charming. You couldn't help rooting for them and loving being in their presence.

This book will have you making Christmas 'To Do' lists, i'm already looking for places to go ice-skating, and it will have you believing in the magic of Christmas. Furthermore, I truly loved that Isobel and Tom compromised and fought for each other. Without wanting to give the ending away too much it truly made my heart smile; sometimes people are worth travelling half way around the world for.

I highly recommend you add 'One week til Christmas' to your festive TBR pile!

Happy reading!
One Week ‘til Christmas ended up being ok, but not great. It loses points due to the predictability if the plot and the main character not being able to communicate properly. I loved the start of the plot and how we ended up following Isobel and Tom through cute local events that made we want to check out my own local events. The writing gave me small town vibes which didn’t feel like it truly fit as it is set in London, and I found the countdown to Christmas reduced some of the anticipation that I wanted to feel. Overall I enjoyed it as a festive read and would recommend it to someone who is looking for light Christmasy romance.
If you enjoy Hallmark Christmas movies, One Week "Til Christmas is the perfect read for you.

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
I received this book complimentary from NetGalley but the opinions are my own.
Oh this was so so lovely. Tom and Isobel are so cute and lovely together. The backdrop of London at Christmas time and then Melbourne at Christmas was perfect. I truly adored this one. It was really believable and well written.
5☆ A Witty, Christmas Romance that will leave you Feeling Warm and Cosy inside!

One Week ‘Til Christmas is a charming, witty, heart warming, fun, Christmas romance.

Isobel is visiting her friend in London for a few days for Christmas.
But when she collides with a handsome stranger, he literally knocks her off her feet!Isobel never imagined their paths would cross again, especially not quiet so soon, when she turns up to interview her mystery man the very next day!

The chemistry ignites between them and Tom her mystery man can't resist asking to see her later for dinner.

As the Christmas magic works it's charm things soon start heating up between them.
But as things start to develop, Isobel is well aware that she leaves in just 7 days!
Is it worth risking something special or can long distance really work?

One Week ‘Til Christmas is a heart warming, Enchanting and Entertaining Read, that literally left me smiling and warm inside.
The Characters are strong, Endearing and relatable.
The setting is beautifully Festive and Belinda really made London come alive.

So if you are looking for a witty, swoon worthy Christmas romance, that will Touch your heart, give you the feels and leave you feeling warm and fuzzy then One Week ‘Til Christmas is definitely the book for you!

Thank you to HQ DIGITAL and Rachel Random Resources for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
This has been my favorite Christmas tale this season! Missen's story is lighthearted,  charming and delightful - a fun look at Christmas in London, witty dialogue, and the HEA I'm looking for.

This is a tale just waiting to be made into a Hallmark Christmas movie, and I dare you to tell me you didn't imagine Tom as Benedict Cumberbatch!

I'll be looking for more stories from this author in the future.
What a simply charming and festive romance, from the first meeting between Isobel and Tom, which is rather memorable, to them meeting again and learning each others names, to just how they have spent a week in London.

If you are wanting a guided tour through some of London's best love festive occasions and events then this is certainly worth a read.  As a Londoner I loved seeing the touristy side to my city, and was delighted to even note that the tube journeys and time to cross London underground, were pretty much spot on, which just adds to the authenticity of the setting.

I loved the interactions between Isobel and Tom the whole time, and found myself whizzing through the pages eager to spend more and more time with our leads.

An incredibly charming novella that had me smiling, giggling, despairing at times and hopeful for the HEA that I was craving.  This is only the second book I've read by this author and its clear how much her writing and story development has improved, as I loved every second of this book.

Thank you to HQ Digital and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I absolutely loved this book! The characters really drew me in, and I found the storyline to be very appealing. I love the authors writing style; it works perfectly for a Christmasy story!
Great for fans of Hallmark movies, light love stories, and stories of people with realistic issues and pasts. I had a really hard time putting this one down and would read it again in a heartbeat!!!
A cute, heartwarming Christmas read that will warm your heart and make you fall in love with love all over again! I loved this read by Belinda Missen. I come from New Zealand where the weather at Christmas is hot, and I've always fantasised about a white winter Christmas in the UK. Well after reading this, I feel like I've experienced one. So many beautiful sights and experiences around London described so vividly I could picture them easily, and then the love story was like the icing on the cake. Yes, it's predictable in some ways, but there's nothing wrong with that, and in this case it's done with a fresh enough take on events and written so beautifully that keeps you turning the pages and willing their love story along. Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this gorgeous little book, I recommend it to everyone.