The Dilemma

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 3 Jan 2020

WOW what a brilliant read from start to finish you are kept guessing. I totally enjoyed this book and would recommend, B.A.Paris knows how to write a great story, her other books are brilliant too.
I have read and loved B A Paris' previous novels so was looking forward to starting this one. I wasn't disappointed.

I really enjoyed this thought-provoking emotional family drama. A fantastic rollercoaster of a book with characters who I liked and empathised with. I was drawn into Livia and Adams heartbreaking story and asked myself what would you do in the same situation. This was a cracking story which kept me reading.

I can't wait for the next one form B A Paris. Highly recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review
3.5 stars.

To be completely honest I was a little disappointed by this book. I am usually a huge B A Paris fan, and love her psychological thrillers. 'The Dilema' however couldn't really be described as a thriller, it's more of a family drama.

Set over a 24 hour period, and told from both viewpoints of a married couple the story deals with a series of secrets which come to light after a family tragedy occurs. Unfortunately I just want able to connect with any of the main characters, and found them to be rather frustrating.
I also found the story to be a little to slow paced for my liking with no real plot turns or twists.

Thank you to the publisher and netgalley for allowing me to read and review The Dilema.
Absolutely bloody brilliant! Couldn’t put it down once I’d started it, unfortunately work got in the way! I was instantly drawn into the lives of Livia and her family. My heart just kept breaking for them and their losses. Another fantastic read from B A Paris!
I absolutely loved this book and couldn’t stop until I finished it at 1 AM!
I was expecting a thriller but it was so much more than than that.
An in-depth psychological investigation of the two main characters Livia and her husband Adam.

It is all happening around Livia’s 40th birthday party and the story is told from the wife and husband’s unique points of view.

A gripping and intense story, I got really intrigued and involved by ‘the dilemma’ and by the couple’s secrets but I won’t spoil anything...you need to read it first!

Would totally recommend it!
Really enjoyed this book thank you. Vibrant, believable, characters and an absorbing plot. I will ensure I look out for this author in the future!
I recently read B.A. Paris’ collaboration novel, The Understudy, so was excited to read one of her solo books and ai am so glad I did.

The Dilemma is a wonderful character study of a family trying to keep things from one another so as not to spoil a perfect day. Livid has dreamt of her 40th birthday party for years, after not getting the wedding she had hoped for. However, she is keeping a huge secret from her husband Adam, and doesn’t want it to come out and spoil the day. Adam meanwhile, has his own devastating secret to keep from everyone at the party, as he wasn’t everyone to have this final happy moment.

I loved the characters in this book, and seeing them struggle with not only their secrets, but whether they are right to keep it from those they love so they can enjoy the party. Would they want that final day of happiness, or would they want to know as soon as possible and feel guilty for enjoying themselves?
Wow what another great book from this incredibly talented author.  The huge dilemma I had was whether to carry on reading or be sensible and go to sleep - in the end there was no contest as I just had to find out how things would go down.  I finished it in the early hours of this morning and haven’t stopped thinking about it all day;  what would I do in each situation.?  The story isn’t just about one dilemma, it’s about many and this is what makes the book so engaging.  A great one for book club discussions.  An easy five stars
I loved this book! A fantastic page turner! I really cannot imagine myself in Adams position.

The chapters alternate between Livia and Adam. A husband and wife who are both hiding a devastating secret from each other. Livias 40th birthday party is fast approaching, and they are both faced with the tough choice of when to break the news to the other. With the chapters jumping from one hour to the next on the day of the party, the tension is very well built.

The book is thought provoking, gripping and heart breaking. Another brilliant book by B A Paris!
I have to be honest, although this book gripped me, it really frustrated me. I just wanted to get the characters and make them open up to eachother.
Livia has been planning her 40th Birthday Party for years. The only person who won’t be there is her daughter Marnie who is in Hong Kong. But Livia is glad she is not going to be there because Livia is keeping a secret about Marnie from her husband Adam. Adam is also keeping a secret from Livia he is hoping his daughter will be home for the party as a surprise. There has been an aircrash the plane marnie should of been on has crashed and everyone onboard has died. But Marnie told Adam that she wouldn’t make the connecting flight. Adam can’t reach Marnie was she on the plane should he tell Livia and spoil the party when Marnie could walk through the door at anytime.
Thanks NetGalley
This book wasn't entirely what I expected - its not the psychological thriller I had expected from BA Paris, but rather a family drama, set over less than 24 hours.  It is told in alternating points of view by married couple Livia and Adam on the day she is having a much anticipated 40th birthday party.  It turns out they are both keeping secrets and the dilemma is about how and when they should reveal them to the other.  Whilst at times it felt a little drawn out, and I found Livia and Adam both fairly unlikeable, it is well written, and I did find myself drawn in and keen to keep reading as the story unfolded in order to find out what happened.  As someone with children of a similar age it certainly made me think and had me in tears towards the end, making it overall an emotional read I would recommend.
The Dilemma is the story of Livia and Adam and the secret each of them hold about their daughter Marnie.  The story is told in a dual narrative and takes place the day of Livia’s 40th birthday party - a day that Livia has planned for the past 20 years.

The story held my interest throughout.  It is a story about love and friendship and what each of us does to protect others around us.  I loved how the story unfolds as the day progresses and the inner conflict the protagonists face.  A well-developed storyline.

I loved the book and recommend it to book clubs and fiction lovers.

Thanks to Netgalley and HQ for the ARC of this book in exchange for the honest review provided here.
Livia’s is 40th today and she’s having a party of a lifetime to make up for the fact she didn't have a large wedding service. Everyone she knows and loves will be there except her daughter Marnie, who has been studying abroad this year.   But Livia is secretly glad Marnie won’t be at the party as she needs to tell her husband Adam something about their daughter but she’s decided to wait until the party is over so they can have this happy time together.

Adam wants everything to be perfect for Livia's birthday so he’s secretly arranged for Marnie to surprise her  by coming home. However during the day, he hears some terrible news which he needs to tell Livia, because how can the party go on? But Livia is so happy and excited for her party plus the guests are about to arrive.

How far will each of them go to give each other a last few hours of happiness and will they survive the fallout from keeping a secret from each other?

This was a cracking story, a quick read and I really enjoyed it.  It switches between Livia and Adam throughout the day of the party, each noticing something about the other, that they are keeping something back or acting strange around their friends but cannot explain why.  As they day progresses, you get to find out what they are hiding from each other. At one of the book I did feel my eyes welling up, but usually for me it didn't spill over!

I received this book from Netgalley in return for a honest review.
This storyline handles the difficult subject of bereavement and particularly a young adult in an accident. Unaware of the accuracy of a potential fatality the reader is drawn throughout the book as to the conundrum should one parent discuss their fears and dread of the child’s involvement before confirmation either way is know.  Simultaneously a pre planned party is imminent and the dilemma for one of the parents is to articulate the fear and uncertainty and curtail the event, or allow the party to go ahead and leave their partner in happy ignorance as long as possible. The muddying of the water, by introducing a hidden secret related to the potential victim whilst still highlighting the dilemma at the forefront of every chapter is a trivial and annoying distraction when compared to the impact of a terrifying death and confusion over who knows what. Having first hand professional knowledge of human reaction to death, and unexpected fatalities I question some of the reactions and behaviour of the chief protagonists over a lengthy period of time. Also the reason for the deceit tied to a 20 year regret over the cancellation of a white wedding trivialises every aspect of the protagonists relationship and family stability notwithstanding the potential for the loss of a child. This storyline had the potential to explore many aspects of marriage, children and bereavement. Unfortunately I was left feeling each subject had been exaggerated, trivialised, and misrepresented towards an ending that was hyperbole rather than excruciating sadness. The ARC from NetGalley was appreciated and although a previous admirer of the author, this was not one of my more enthusiastic reviews although as always , I read to the story’s conclusion .
I want to start of by saying I went into this book knowing nothing about it but I did however know that BA Paris was a thriller author or known for writing thrillers so I assumed this was a thriller, I was very wrong.

It's very difficult to discuss this book without spoiling it however if I were to sum of the plot I'd say it was pretty lack luster. The first few pages made me believe that something interesting was about to unfold when In reality I was about to endure hours of bland characters making decisions that made no sense at all.

The book was filled with pretentious people whom were focused on one single event but the amount of times said event is mentioned and given the fact this book takes place over a twenty four period, is highly arritating and unrealistic.

Olivia and Adam as main characters made me want to throw my kindle against the wall several times with the foolish choices they made or how selfish they were.

Also the men in this book were written to be horrible people, Adam was a deadbeat Dad to his elder son and then their was Rob who was cheating on his sick wife.

Over all I'd not recommend this book and I think this will be the last BA Paris book that I read.
I have loved every one of the novels by B.A. Paris so far, and 'The Dilemma' is no exception!
At the heart of the story is a tale of communication, or lack of, and how withholding information for whatever reason, can result in major issues. The reasons generally are, of course, entirely subjective, sometimes selfish but not always, and as Newton's famous Third Law states, will result in 'an equal and opposite reaction.'
The main characters are husband and wife team Livia and Adam, and their two adult children, Marnie and Ben. It's the eve of Livia's 40th birthday party, an event she has been planning for a very long time, and which is intended to make up for the lack of a 'proper' wedding celebration many years ago.
Livia however has discovered something shocking about Marnie, a secret so shocking she can barely deal with herself. She needs to tell Adam, but Marnie is the apple of his eye, so she decides to wait, at least until the party is over.
Adam also has a secret about Marnie, which will devastate his wife when he tells her - so he decides to preserve her last chance at happiness for the party she has planned for so long.
Supporting sub-plots revolve around Adam and his son, Livia and her mother, and the best friend that Livia is now desperate to avoid.
I can't say anymore or the story would be spoiled, but reassured, this is a cracking story that will keep you reading beyond your bedtime!
I give this book 4 stars.
You know you’re reading a good book when you get most of the way through it in a day. You know you’re reading a brilliant book when your husband wakes you snoring at 2am and you don’t even care because you can read some more.

This is very much this book.

It is an absolutely crafted story of a family with a number of crises. It is a story which will make you question what you would do in their circumstances. And it is a novel which will make you fall in love with the characters - even the small players.

In short, it is excellent.
Another brilliant book be B A Paris. I loved this one. I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened but I didn't want it to end. It is difficult to review without giving away the story . I recommend that you read it, you wont be disappointed
Told in  alternate chapter by Adam & Livia this was such an emotional book. I found myself angry at Adam for  keeping what he thought he knew from Livia but when it all came out I was in tears reading it. Such a great book.