Unicorn Training

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Nov 2019

Tilly works at a Unicorn Rescue Centre, but she wants a unicorn of her own. She gets her wish when the spunky Splodge comes to the center, and Tilly vows to make him the “best unicorn ever.”

What follows is a classic girl-and-her-horse tale, with the extra color and pizzazz of unicorn rainbows. Tilly learns patience and focused goal-setting. It’s an encouraging message for a child’s overwhelming world.

The biggest draw of the book are its vivacious, energetic illustrations. Tilly and Splodge are wonderfully expressive and visually pleasing. The depiction of mud and other environmental details lend the illustrations a tactile feel. My favorite page is the cinematic frame of Tilly’s parents scolding her and Splodge — it’s a Hitchcock mise en scene in micro.

From a storytelling perspective, the book is forced to rush due to the constraints of being a short picture book. I love these types of stories, but I think they work better as early readers and early chapter books like Maggie and Bramble or Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa (though neither of those feature a unicorn!).

If your little one loves horses, pets, or especially unicorns, this one will probably be a hit. For others, I’d still say it’s worth a read, especially for the illustrations.
Tilly loved working with and helping take care of the unicorns. However she really wanted her own unicorn. This is her story of how she got one. My little grandaughter giggles when I read this book to her. She loves it and she also loves the pictures of the unicorns. This book is a bedtime favorite.
Loved reading this to my 6 year old unicorn mad daughter.
Lovely illustrations and a great story, I've lost count of how many times my daughter has read this to herself now!
Unicorns are all still all the rage and this book is no exception! Beautiful and fun illustrations are on every page. A very sweet story about the responsibility of owning a pet.
Unicorn Training is cute and super colorful. I don't think it's very helpful in showing how difficult raising a pet can be as it's too short but it could lend itself to more discussions if families use the questions from the last page.
Splodge is the cutest unicorn! Currently fielding questions of why the children can't have a unicorn as a pet! An adorable book!
This was such an adorable book about the responsibilities of having a pet. My daughter loves unicorns, I mean, who doesn’t?? She loved the book, and so did I. The illustrations were just so bright and fun. Definitely 4.5 stars!

*I received a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
An adorable read for kids, and adults as well, who are pretty much in love with the idea of owning a pet unicorn!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to get first dibs on this title!
Such a cute book. Loved the art and the story. The "Next Steps" at the end of the book is a great inclusion for parents, teachers, or librarians with their hints on how to increase literacy and understanding of the topics covered in the book.
I had a great time reading this story. The colorful illustrations did a wonderful job bringing it to life. The characters were likable, and there were some good funny moments. As this story came to a close it showed the work it takes to own a pet, but that it can easily be more than worth it. This is a book I think kids will have a lot of fun reading.
Raise your hand if you have a child obsessed with unicorns right now!

Hello, huge hands up for me! My daughter is in a full-out unicorn-crazed phase right now. We cannot literally go nowhere without running into something unicorn-themed. At the sight at any new unicorn, we are embraced with the six-year-old high-pitched squeal of delight.

Why not embrace the unicorn phase of our children by giving them some great unicorn-themed books to love and adore? To start, I want to share the book, Unicorn Training, by Amanda Brandon. Unicorn Training is an adorable picture book about a little girl named Tilly and her rescued unicorn.

Tilly meets her special unicorn at the unicorn rescue. From the moment see sees Splodge, she knows he is the unicorn for her. Her parents question Tilly's decision. Splodge is everything but the perfect picture of a unicorn. He is rough around the edges, not great at listening, and he seems to have a knack for chewing dad's slippers.

None-the-less, Tilly knows Splodge is the unicorn for her. She brings him home, and she beings the tough process of training Splodge. At first, things don't go well at all. But through Tilly's persistence and love, Splodge learns to behave and he becomes the unicorn Tilly knew he could always be.
Who doesn't love unicorns? A little girl soon discovers even though they're beautiful, they do take some training to make them good house pets. A nice picture book that helps children understand that taking care of a pet is a commitment that isn't always fun. .
I DON'T KNOW WHO KEEPS LETTING ME REQUEST/READ UNICORN PICTURE BOOKS BUT I LOVE YOU! I am immediately adding Unicorn Training to my cart on whatever book site I found it on first. It would be the perfect book to give a child who has recently added a pet to the family or are considering getting one. But, also, it's perfect to read any time for any reason. 🦄📚💖
A short and sweet picture book about patience, perseverance and the responsibility of owning a pet. With colourful illustrations, children will be begging for an aborable unicorn of their own after this!
I received this book as a a free ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review. I love the artwork and message of the book and who doesn't love unicorns. I especially like the for further discussion questions and tips at the end of the book. It helps students, parents, and teachers connect the story more with real life, comprehension of the book, and helps starts conversations. Having said that, there has been a flood of unicorn books for readers to select from and so it doesn't make this as unique as could it be.
This was so sweet and my eleven-year-old daughter - who loves unicorns - was massively taken by it! We really enjoyed reading it together
I read this book to my nine and six year old at home--they love unicorns! This book was funny--both girls loved that the unicorn tooted glitter. This book was a great reminder of the patience every person/animal needs in learning to do new skills.
I also took this book to school. I used this book with a group of girls working on speech sound errors and they adored this book. This book was a great length, was both humorous, endearing, and very kid friendly.
My kindergarteners loves unicorns! The little girl in this book really wants a unicorn of her own. Finally, she gets one but it needs training. It is a difficult process with a lot of bumps along the road. Good book about perseverance!
This is a sweet story about caring for a pet and being persistent and patient when bringing an new four legged member into the family. My daughter is almost five years old and she loved this story. Unicorns are hot property in our home, so this story fit the bill This book would make a great birthday or Christmas gift for a unicorn lover.
This is the story of a little girl who really wants to train a Unicorn which apparently is kind of like training a horse and a dog at the same time.  I particularly liked the illustrations - they were bright and fun.

Thank you to NetGalley for this ARC.