The Infamous Sophie Dawes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Nov 2019

I had never heard of Sophie Dawes and I am glad I got to read it. I feel it is closer to historical fiction with all the might have, could haves. On the other hand the period and lifestyles were very well researched. In all I did learn about Sophie and the life surrounding her.
Altogether this is a fascinating story about Sophie Dawes an her life. The only thing that bugged me throughout the book was the constant (this may have, maybe, possibly, highly likely, as per the documents found etc.)
I understand that the author wanted to give the most true account possible with the resources that are available and some gaps need to be filled in. This just took away a lot of fun reading it in my opinion. I guess that's my fault for wanting the book to read like fluent historical non-fiction.

Thank you Netgalley for granting a wish!
I appreciate such a detailed picture of Sophie Dawe's life and the book really shows how impressive it was.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher.
Absolutely riveting and engaging. I can’t believe I had never heard of Sophie Dawes before. Searle paints such a vivid picture of Dawes, her life, the time period, etc. The prose occasionally veers towards dense fact overload, but the rest of the time it’s electrifying.
I really enjoyed this, it was well researched and full of so many interesting details not just about Sophie but her times, settings, society around her and people in her life. I appreciate such a fully painted picture and the book really shows how impressive her life was.