Cover Image: Dewdrop

Dewdrop

Look, if you're not already snapping up every Katie O'Neill book you can find, I'm not sure we can be friends. Of COURSE this little book is a winner! O'Neill's artwork is pretty much the pure distillation of 'whimsical' and 'winsome,' and it carries me back into the child I once was who could believe that cute little creatures could sing and learn important life lessons the same way that humans do. Pure. Sunshine.
Thanks to the publishers for sharing this one. The illustrations are adorable, and it has a lovely message. My full review appears on Weekend Notes.
Katie O'Neill's illustrations are always unique and Dewdrop was no exception. I really enjoyed reading this book to my toddler and she loved the colorful pages which really helped engage her in the story.
Dewdrop is an adorable little book that provides great lessons. Katie O'Neill is a brilliant illustrator and writer, her books always provide something good for the reader.
Dewdrop is just the cutest picture book ever! I have enjoyed Katie O'Neill's middle grade graphic novels and just adore her art style. This is a story about friendship and overcoming self-doubt. I highly recommend this to all young readers!
I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The test for little kids' books is whether my own kids will love this story. Since I don't have children, they're still somewhere inside my brain, they give this story several thumbs up.

I enjoyed this book very much, and as a way to capture and engage readers right away, this is a stellar opportunity to study how to write a story.
This is one of the sweetest, most wholesome, and beautifully illustrated picture books I have ever set hands and eyes upon. It's no secret that I am a huge Katie O'Neill fan - her Tea Dragon Society books are incredibly important to me and make me feel cozy and seen all at the same time. So, when I learned that she had a picture book coming out this year, I did my best to secure a review copy for myself.

Dewdrop is a little Axolotl, or Mexican Walking Fish, who likes coming up with cheerleader routines, and supporting friends. Each of Dewdrop's friends wants to show off something special of themselves, but feel disheartened about their own abilities. Enter - Dewdrop. And all of the sweetness ensues.

O'Neill's art style is one of bright colours, sweet characters, and often causes lots of smiles to break out on my face. In Dewdrop, which I think would be great for kids of all ages, O'Neill really manages to take the essence of that age-old message - 'Just be yourself' - and cook it down into a lovely little bite of sunshine. I'm not sure I could love it any more, and I think I will revisit it whenever I need a little boost, or a reminder.

10/10 bright happy cheerleading pompoms!

I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own.
Dewdrop is a beautifully presented and engaging picture book for all ages. Released 7th April 2020 by Oni Press, it's 40 pages and available in ebook (comiXology) and hardcover formats.

This is such a gentle affirming book for all ages and the art by Katie O'Neill is just beautiful. Dewdrop and friends have different skills and strengths and the book has such a fun and wholesome vibe that I found it irresistible and have re-read it a couple times since the initial read and have found small rich artistic details which I missed on the first read-through.

Although the story is aimed at younger readers, this will make a superlative read-to-me or library/classroom circle read for all ages, even the youngest.

Beautifully done. I really love the artist-author's work. Five enthusiastic stars.

'Dewdrop' with words and pictures by Katie O'Neill is a picture book for young readers about a party and a group of friends.

Dewdrop and her friends are getting ready for the annual sports fair.  Some friends will cook, some will write songs, and some will compete in sports.  The problem is that everyone is worried about the others will think.  That is, until Dewdrop comes along.

The story is really cute.  If it's possible, the illustrations are even more so.  This would be a fun book to read aloud to little readers.

I received a review copy of this ebook from Oni Press and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this ebook.
Dewdrop by Katie O'Neill is a picturebook currently scheduled for release on April 7 2020. Dewdrop is an easygoing, gentle axolotl who enjoys naps, worm pie, and cheerleading. When the yearly sports fair nears, he and his friends—Mia the weightlifting turtle, Newman the musical newt, and three minnows who love to cook—get ready to showcase their skills to the whole pond! However, as the day of the fair gets closer, Dewdrop's friends can't help putting pressure on themselves to be the best. It's up to Dewdrop to remind them how to be mindful, go at their own pace, and find joy in their own achievements.

Dewdrop is an adorable picturebook about a sweet axolotl that honestly cares about their friends and keeps a sunny outlook on life. I think the reminders to focus on improving and finding happiness in doing their favorite things is important. I loved the illustrations, and found that they mirrored the sweet and optimistic tone of the main character and story as a whole. I think the story was nice and simply enjoyable to look at. The message was good, but a little overstated. As a kid, and now as a parent, I have always found the very obvious lessons to be a little off putting, even if I agree with them. Not everyone feels this way, and I can see the value and skill in this book that made me enjoy it despite the very clear messages.
I love Katie O'Neill's all ages comics and graphic novels, and this children's picture book is just as beautifully illustrated. It's definitely aimed at a younger audience than her other books, but it's just as sweet as you'd expect.
An adorable new book by Katie O'Neill. Cute, charming and heartwarming just like her Tea Dragon books.
Dewdrop by Katie O'Neill is a beautifully illustrated children's book that contains themes of kindness, teamwork, growth mindset, and perseverance. I continue to enjoy the work of this author. I will purchase a copy to share with my students. Thanks Oni Press and NetGalley for the ARC of this title.
This is one of the cutest picture books I ever looked at. The characters just look so adorable and it has a very sweet message. Definitely a great addition to any little ones book collection.
O'Neill has done some surprising things with the story of Dewdrop. The setup is fairly standard: Dewdrop and friends are preparing for a festival, each wanting to show off a special skill. Dewdrop in particular is quite confident in her cheer-leading abilities. In their desire to compete, though, each creature begins to doubt their existing plain and their efforts to be more impressive leave them entirely unprepared. Dewdrop innocently reaffirms their initial joy in their skill. Thus the plot becomes not about being better than anyone else but about finding joy in activities and pushing aside concern over other peoples opinions. Dewdrop uses her skills to lift up her friends without ever having to diminish herself. Older kids will take away a valuable message. Younger kids may enjoy simply leafing through the pages and exploring the small elements of O'Neill's charming illustrations.
My Review:  I have come to absolutely adore Katie O'Neill's art and writing, so of course I jumped at a chance to read her newest release. This is written as a graphic novel but it reads like a children's picture book. It is a great story for all ages, full of finding ways to help others even if you don't have the ability to physically help them. The illustrations are absolutely adorable and I love all the different critter characters. Definitely a book to be adding to the shelves.

My Rating: I absolutely adore Katie O'Neill's illustration style and she always has such great messages in them, and this story was no different. I loved this story and think it is great for everyone! I give it a rating of Four Paws and a Stump Wag!
This is such a cute story! I can't wait to share this one with my daughter. The art style is so bright and fun just like all of Katie O'Neill's previous works. This has a great moral that is easily presented and I definitely think that children will be able to quickly and easily understand what it is.
I requested and received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and Oni Press in exchange for an honest review.

What a cute book, everyone should have a friend and/or strive to be a friend like Mia, she is awesome! Her spirit is so bright, and she is so helpful.  I love the simplicity of the illustrations they highlight the text and bring the page to life.

#Dewdrop #NetGalley
Everyone is getting ready for the Sports Fair. Mia is getting ready to compete, but worries about the competition. Newman is going to write a song, but is having some writer’s block. The fish are in charge of cooking, but is their usual recipe too bland for the Sports Fair? Dewdrop is going to be the cheerleader, and practices by cheering along his friends as they get ready.

Aww, Dewdrop is a sweetie. He helps his friends refocus, drop their worries, and frees them up to be their best. The illustrations are so fun and colorful, and the underwater setting and unusual animal characters (when’s the last time you saw an axolotl star?) are refreshing. Highly recommended for kids getting ready for a competition and kids who just enjoy good friendship stories.

I received an ARC of this title from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
One of the ruling monarchs of All That is Adorable, Katie O'Neill - whom you may know from her Tea Dragon series, Aquicorn Cove, or Princess Princess Ever After graphic novels - now gives us a cheerleading axolotl named Dewdrop, in an upbeat, sweet graphic novel.

Dewdrop and his underwater friends are practicing their skills to show off at the yearly sports fair. Mia is a weightlifting turtle, Newman the newt is a musician, and three minnows fancy themselves as chefs. Dewdrop? He's a cheerleader! And as his friends practice for the fair, Dewdrop visits each one of them to cheer them on and get them past their fears, which is perfect practice for his own skills: cheering! Dewdrop is a sweet story with tips about mindfulness, positivity, and friendship, and it turns some antiquated gender tropes on their heads: Dewdrop is male. A pink, cheerleading, adorable male. Mia is a female turtle, rocking a little flower head decoration, and she's a weightlifter. Having a male character radiate positivity - something we've often seen as the female characters' responsibility - sends a refreshing, reassuring message to all children about how easy it is to be a good friend. Katie O'Neill is fantastic at upending outdated gender roles, and Dewdrop continues to deliver upbeat, inspiring messages through colorful and bright artwork with charming characters.