If I Had Two Lives

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

This was a fantastic psychological thriller. It had me completely gripped. Vicky, the young FBI agent, around whom this novel is based is a far from perfect. She enjoys a drink and her personal life isn't idyllic. Never the less she is dedicated and hard working and will not rest until she discovers the identity of the perpetrator of these crimes. She's a likeable character, highly credible and well depicted. I enjoyed this book and will seek out more from Whelan in the future.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

I thought this book started off slowly and wondered if it was for me.  The more I read the better it got.  I really liked the main character Vicky, she was feisty, flawed and believable.   She is an FBI agent, and part of a team searching for a serial killer.  Through a routine DNA match she is told she has a brother she was unaware of, and searches for him alongside her FBI job.  The plot has lots of twists and a huge one at the end that wowed me.   A good read that I got through in one day.  4 stars
This story had me hooked from the first chapter. Even though I found Vicky to be irritating sometimes it was nice to read about a protagonist that isn’t perfect throughout the entire book. I felt like I needed a few more of my questions answered when everything was said and done but maybe that’s just me? I did enjoy the twist at the end though!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves a quick, addictive thriller.
What a quick, psychological read! **Possible spoiler alert!!!! **A young girl in a vegetative state is raped and becomes pregnant, flash forward decades and you have Vicky an up and coming FBI Special Agent on the trail of a "piggyback serial killer", she just found out that she has a brother whom she has never met before, never even heard of before. ....prepare for a wild and twisty ride while she hunts for not only a killer but her twin brother all while dealing with a personal relationship that looks like trouble ahead. I received a free copy and am leaving my review and opinion voluntarily. Definitively worth picking up and reading! (less)
Vicky Collins has a seemingly enviable life. She is a successful agent for the FBI and lives with her social media star and real estate entrepreneur boyfriend in an upscale neighborhood of San Diego.
But appearances can be deceiving.
When Vicky is recruited to an elite unit at the FBI to investigate a serial killer piggybacking on the murders of other serial killers, her life begins to spiral out of control.
To complicate things further for the young special agent, a routine background check at the FBI reveals a sibling DNA match — a brother she didn’t know existed. Determined to unravel the mysteries of her past and to find her long lost brother, Vicky retraces the boy’s footsteps through the foster care system, uncovering the abuse and neglect he suffered growing up. The secrets she unveils are more monstrous and terrifying than she ever imagined, and a new truth about her childhood threatens to consume her.
Then the Piggyback Serial Killer strikes again, but this time, Agent Collins has multiple suspects—including members of her own family.
***If I Had Two Lives delves into dark subject matter — murder, sexual violence, and childhood abuse. It is not for the faint-hearted. This book was inspired by a young woman in a vegetative state who was sexually assaulted and impregnated by an employee of the care facility.***

This is a brilliant supenseful thriller that had me engaged from the start.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me gripped to the very end.
The characters were well fleshed out and beliveable.
The twists just kept coming and you really feel the pain for Vicky at al the secrets she hears.
I can't wait to read more from this author.
Recommend reading highly!!

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Holy wow what a surprising book and I mean that in the best way possible. The darkness of this book and the story told by multiple characters had me questioning everything. As you meander along the path and connect the dots you will be shocked. The ending? Holy twist level.
Vicki is an FBI agent and is searching for a killer. DNA testing comes back and shows that the match is one of her siblings. But she doesn't have a sibling... or does she? As she goes on a search to find a brother raised in the foster care system, she learns family secrets that can destroy her whole reality. Will she catch the killer? Is it really her brother? Hold on for a wild ride of family secrets and things that can make or break a career or a person.
Another great thriller from A. B. Whelan! I love the originality of this author's stories and the pace at which she holds her readers. Always on the edge of your seat and always trying to guess what's hiding around the next corner. If you are a fan of suspense, add this one to your list as well as her 14 Days to Die, you won't be sorry.
This book took me on an emotional roller coaster, and I LOVED every single minute of it. Whelan just KNOWS how to write a story that penetrates into the deepest recesses of your heart and permeates into your very soul. The aura of suspense increasingly bumped up my anxiety, notch by excruciatingly-taut notch. The palpable tension held me in thrall. The twists made me audibly gasp in shock. And, the fast pace of the wildly-captivating plot kept me swiping the pages feverishly. I'm a fan!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
A unique and riveting tale, exposing the dark and unbelievably cruel individuals who prey on the young and the innocent...and who exist everywhere, not just in "other peoples' " neighborhoods.  Heart-wrenching in its scope, the story will inspire chills.  Well-written and perfectly paced, this book is highly recommended.

*Thanks to both the publisher and the author for allowing me to read an ARC of this book free of charge, in exchange only for an honest review."
If I Had Two Lives.....A.B. Whelan

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book for an honest review.

A young woman in a coma at a nursing home is raped and gets pregnant 30+ years ago.

Vicky is on the fast track with the FBI when she starts investigating a serial killer. While doing her background check with the FBI they discover she has a brother who is a criminal. Searching for her brother and searching for a serial killer and her life spirals out of control.

This book has been getting great reviews. Unfortunately it fell short for me. It was a solid read .... but I found the main character Vicky irritating.....which I understand with everything she is going through ....it was just a little too much for me and I couldn’t feel anything for her.

The twist was pretty good and for that I’m giving it 🌟🌟🌟/5 stars.
Well written and interesting book.
Well developed storyline with good characters.  Good pace.
Captivating from the start.  Not boring.

My first time reading that author, hopefully not the last.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book.  This is my honest review.  All opinions are my own.
If I Had Two Lives by AB Whelan was a pleasant surprise. I had never read any books by this author, so I was unsure. This book was really good! The story grabbed me from the beginning. I really got into the main character, Vicky Collins, as flawed as she was.  Personally, I enjoy a main character who is not perfect and makes mistakes.  To me, the book ended somewhat abruptly. I hope this means there will be a series about Vicky. I don’t want to be done reading about her story! Thank you to the publisher and net galley for the ARC of this book. All opinions are my own.
if i had two lives wasn't a good book for me, i really wanted to enjoy it and really couldn't connect with the characters in the story, this is my own personal feelings on this book and honestly i thought i would enjoy it more and have seen some great reviews for this book it just wasn't for me.
Firstly, I remember hearing the chilling real life incident which is the basis for this book  The novel is even darker and more twisted, if possible.   Secondly, please, I’m begging you,  bring Vicky back for a sequel.  As difficult as this book is to read, it’s a wonderful thriller with the reader looking over her shoulder at her own family at the end of each chapter..  Highly recommended but brutal.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to preview this ARC of If I Had Two Lives by A.B. Whelan.

Vicky Collins is a successful FBI agent with a handsome Instagram real estate agent boyfriend who has everything going for her.  Her upbringing was pleasant and normal, and as far as she knew, everything about her life was above board.

So when the DNA comes back as a sibling match of Vicky, it sends her into a tailspin of deceit and lies.  Who is committing these heinous crimes, and what does it have to do with her.  Most importantly, who can she trust?

First off, I really liked Vicky Collins.  She wasn't afraid of her emotions, her body, or danger.  She wielded a gun and knew how to use it.  I also liked how twisty the book was, and could not predict what was around the corner.  Great for fans of cop thrillers!
I received a copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a ride this book is! Such a fantastic story I just couldnt put down! So many little twists and turns ut will keep you guessing until the end!
This book not only shows the darker sides of life, it grips you and won't let you go.
I really hope there will be a sequel to this book.
Well good Lord how much can one person take?  Vicky Collins has just been recruited by the FBI and is excited to be working on her first case - which is finding the “piggy back” serial killer. However, her world is slowly falling apart around her. A routine background check by the FBI reveals some startling information about her family  There seems to be trouble brewing in her relationship with her boyfriend of many years - that’s a bit of an understatement.  And..as she gets closer to finding this killer, she realizes he just may be a little too close to home.
This was a good enjoyable book with so many interesting developments that I couldn’t put it down and finished it in a couple of days. Recommended.
I remember hearing on the news about a patient who had been raped and sexually assaulted in a nursing home and thinking how horribly devastating that would be for a parent to imagine his/her daughter going through that. You’d want the person who did that to suffer. But then another little voice is saying but now you have your daughter’s child....
Thanks to NetGalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review
This was such a thrilling and twisty read!  The only bad part of this book was finishing it, as I enjoyed it so much!  I am definitely going to be reading more from this author!
Vicky Collins, an FBI Agent specializing in cyber crimes has been placed with a new team who are searching for a serial killer. This killer is unique ... he piggybacks his crimes on the killings of other serial killers.

Everything goes well until DNA from a previous crime is entered into their system... with amazing results. The sample reveals there is a match .... a sibling match ... to Vicky. It shows it comes from her brother.

The problem is ... Vicky doesn't have a brother... does she?

What follows is a harrowing journey Vicky undertakes to find a brother she never knew existed through his life as a foster child and beyond. The secrets she unveils are more monstrous and terrifying than she ever imagined, and a new truth about her childhood threatens to consume her.

She finds herself facing depressing problems with her boyfriend, chasing a copy cat serial killer, family complications ... and she feels as though her life is in shambles.

(FROM THE AUTHOR) This book was inspired by a young woman in a vegetative state who was sexually assaulted and impregnated by an employee of the care facility and delves into dark subject matter — murder, sexual violence, and childhood abuse. It is not for the faint of heart.

This is a well-written psychological thriller with twists and turns as a family disintegrates under the weight of many years of lies and secrets. The story premise is a good one, even though credibility was stretched a bit as FBI Agents are not usually free to hunt for serial killers on their own .. especially if they are related. The ending was totally surprising and unpredictable.

This is not the first of this author I have read ... nor will it be the last.

Many thanks to the author / Weapenry Co-Op - In Motion Capital / Netgalley for the digital copy of this psychological thriller. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

4.5 stars
Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for allowing me to read an ARC of If I Had Two Lives.

This story grabbed me from the beginning and sucked me right in.  It became a little predictable, with a little twist.  I wish the ending would have answered more questions I had, but overall a good book.

3.5 rounded up to 4