Hold Your Breath

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Apr 2020

B P Walter is one of my favourite authors.

I honestly loved the book, A Version of The Truth and was so happy to receive his new novel.

It did not disappoint.

This story is told from the perspective of Kitty, a 10 year old girl, who knows something just isnt right with her family!

The book had me engrossed right from the first page.

It was an exciting read and the ending rounded the book up nicely.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

This book was like a 3.5 for me. I liked the dark overtones, of it, and wish it would have stayed as dark as it was throughout, but the ending just felt like fluff.

Kitty is 10 years old in 1987when she and her parents go on an odd "vacation" in the woods. While there, strange things keep happening as her dad and two of his friends try to help her mother overcome her demons. Told in varying perspectives of Kitty at ten and Kitty as an adult, the narrative is chilling and strong...until it isn't. It seems as though the author was afraid to let the story stay truly dark...as in possession, evil, and exorcism dark, and therefore lightened it up a bit. It's still not a joyride in the park, but the ending just ruined the rest of the book for me.
The story is about an author who has published her true story in the form of fiction,and the consequences of it. The narrative is simple and told through the eyes of a ten year old, her longing for a happy family, her exaggerations, inquisitive nature. I don’t know if people still do all that was mentioned. The final part was dragging and could have been shorter. It would have made the book precise. More of a domestic noir.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC copy.

Hold your breath is definitely a slow burn of a thriller. That isn't the style I normally like, so I did have to push thru to see it pick up pace, but it was worth it for me. If you like slow burns, then you will enjoy this one as all the pieces slowly come into place. The story is told past and present through Kitty, from when she was 10 to now. You can really feel as if you are in the story with her and it gives you some crazy woah moments.

When Kitty was a child her father moved her and her family to a cabin in the woods. But now, there is a murder case open and it is directly connected to her childhood. In order for it to be solved, she is going to have to go back and figure out what really happened and what traumatic memories she holds.
Amazing read really enjoyed this one so much so that I read it in one sitting I cannot wait to read more from this author
32 years ago Katherine Marchland’s  father moved her family to a deserted cabin in the woods.  In the present Katherine is forced to relive traumas from her past when police reopen a murder case from her childhood.  What really happened during the time her family spent in the woods?

I really enjoyed this book.  I found myself needing to continue on to figure out the mystery and I was shocked at the twists.  The story is mainly told from the perspective of 10 year old Kitty.  Kitty witnesses many things during her time in the forest that have deeply affected her development through the years.  This story was actually heartbreaking.  Tackling the subject of mental illness is always hard, and this book did it through the eyes of a 10 year old who doesn’t really know what mental illness means.

Prepare yourself for the present day sections of this book.  They drop bombs.  I found myself shocked every single time.  If I had one complaint, it would be that at times the 1987 chapters felt a bit slow.  But if you’re looking for a slow burn story where you’re REALLY in the mind of the main character, it’s perfect.

There was a Paul Tremblay vibe about this book I really enjoyed.  You have a hard time deciding if there’s a supernatural element or not.

Overall, this is a well crafted thriller that I really enjoyed.
What I love most about Hold Your Breath is that the story is told from the perspective of a ten year old. The plot is complex, emotional, and hard to put down! This is the first book I’ve read by B P Walter, and it definitely won’t be my last!
This is the first book I read from this author and overall I’ve enjoyed it. The story shifts between the present and the past and although I didn’t find it a page turner I didn’t put the book down.. What I liked the most was the point of view form a ten year old child, described with many details and strong voice. I’d certainly recommend this book for mystery and thriller readers.
I absolutely loved this book for so many reasons. This book is written from the perspective of a 10 year old girl, named Kitty. The story starts with a string of emails to now grown Kitty from detectives investigating a horrible accident that happened many years ago when her father took her and her mother to a 'rustic' cabin in the woods for a short holiday. I was immersed in Kitty's world. It was herd to read such a deeply heartbreaking story from the perspective of such a young girl, but I was hooked on the first chapter.'
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and just when I thought everything had fallen into place, there was a another little twist. It was fantastic!
If you love twisty mystery thrillers, you will love this book!
Katherine tells her story through the eyes of a ten year old. She talks about how hard done by she is, her father is ignoring her, her mother had her own problems so Katherine, known as Kitty, makes life as difficult as she can for her family and those she comes in contact with. Kitty is the adored only child so expects the world to revolve around her but when strange and unexpected things happen Kitty fights back with disastrous consequences.
This is actually a Complex family saga with an interesting twist at the end. It has good powerful characters. It Held my interest and I wanted to know what happened at the end.
I received an advanced reader’s copy in exchange for an honest review!

This is a gritty and raw read. This is my first, but not last, book from this author.
Hold Your Breath is my first experience of BP Walter as an author, and it certainly won't be the last. Gritty and complex, this novel is a dark exploration of the nuances of family life, and the experiences that follow us from childhood into adulthood.
B P Walter is one of my favourite authors.

It did not disappoint.

The book had me engrossed right from the first page.

It was an exciting read and the ending rounded the book up nicely.
The police have called Katherine in for an interview relating to a crime decades earlier when she was a child. Affectionately called Kitty as a girl, her father moves the family to a remote cottage due to her Mother’s mental health in the hope for a cure.
Told between now and then the ‘cure’ has damaged Kitty, the family and other lives beyond repair. Will the police determine what exactly happened?
I was so excited to read this as his previous book was one of my favourites but sadly I didn’t find this one as good. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great read but it lacked an edge for me.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Complex ,family tale. A big twist at the end,good characters. Held my interest ,I wanted to know what happened,but not wholly believable.
The words I’m about to write can do no justice to Hold Your Breath. This is a masterpiece of a story and you NEED to read it!

Set in 1987 Kittys dad decides they should go away for a while until his unwell wife recovers. Moving to a house in the middle of the woods things get steadily worse and worse. Modern day Kitty has written her childhood memories down and it has been  published but now the police want to talk to her.....

The modern day sections were short and moved the story along well but the 1987 scenes absolutely shocked me! This is dark and gritty fiction at its finest!
#HoldYourBreath #NetGalley
A dark thriller.
Katherine Marchland, a famous writer of mystery novels receives a call from DI Cousins who tels her to present at the police station for an interview, she tells her that it's not a formal interview and she would go if you wants to. Against her will, she goes there for the interview. Although she herself is aware of the fact why she was called. Many years ago when she was ten years old, in 1987, a terrible thing happened in the woods when she moved there with her parents. And now the police found what happened then.
The story is told in alternative present and past. At first it's successful in maintaining a good suspense and holds it till 85% but then it's pace becomes slow. I personally felt that.
The main character is Katherine and she's an ok protagonist not too good. The whole thing happened when she was young. It would become more suspenseful if the main character of this story was DI Cousins and the author shows her views in every chapter.
Narration of the story is simple and as i said earlier that its starting is good but end was a bit dragging.
Overall its a one time read for thriller readers.
Thanks to NetGalley and Avon for giving me an advance copy of this book.
"She holds my gaze for a couple of seconds, then presses on. 'What you say in this interview will be recorded. We will take into account what you tell us today when we decide whether to pursue formal arrest and any potential criminal charges. You have not brought any legal representation with you, and I believe you declined the offer of a solicitor to be appointed for you?"
I nod again. "yes."
She produces a folder from her bag under the desk. 'I trust you have an idea as to why you're here?' It's said like a question, and she raises her eyebrows at me.
'I do. i'm here because...' I take a deep breath, trying to stop my speech becoming shaky, 'because of what happened in the woods, All those years ago."

"Hold Your Breath" by BP Walter was my first 5 star book of 2020! I devoured every twisted, scary, heartbreaking morsel of this book in two days!
If you love twisty mystery thrillers, you will love this book!
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

So so good until the ending. Five star book with one star ending, I’ll split he difference and give it a three