Cover Image: The Woman at No. 13

The Woman at No. 13

This is a quick read,  a dr gets accused of killing her teenage patient.  She enlists her best friend to help prove her innocence.  This is the story of progressive pro choice, pro gay/bisexual people against a community that is more conservative and religious and can the two live together..  I guessed at the killers among the many potential suspects.  3.5
This book had me hooked from the start! My favorite part of reading this genre is when there are unexpected twists and turns, and the author of this novel delivered. Would definitely recommend!
I had mixed feelings about this book but it kept a good pace and kept me engaged to the end.
I would have liked more atmosphere for it be more gripping and flow better but it had a fair few twists and turns that made me finish it.
The woman at number 13 was an interesting read to say at least. I was expecting a thriller with more fast paced scenes and action into the investigation of the murder of the teenager woman. But while it started as a well premise and intriguing characters, it kinda felt out on the margins for me. The story was more shiny on other topics where everyone has an opinion to say and loud at that. As for the actual murder, it felt like it became something in the back and not on the main stage up and front.

Very grateful to the publisher for my review copy
The Woman at No. 13 is fantastic. No other way to describe it a delicious plot that has you compelled to keep turning the pages, so much so I read the entire thing in one sitting as I just couldn't stop. I just had to keep reading to find out what happened next.
Kate O’Leary is the local doctor in a small, insular Northern Irish village of Annacairn when her teenage patient Alice is found brutally murdered.  When the victim’s bloody clothes are found in Kate’s home, she becomes the prime suspect.  She calls on her old friend Jannis for support, and together the two friends try to piece together what happened and prove Kate’s innocence.

I found this book to be slow to start and the writing style unusual, but it did pick up and ended up holding my attention.  The author gets the unnerving tone of the exclusionary villagers just right, with their hostility, thirst for revenge, and outdated views ringing true.  The interplay of politics, religion, and societal issues was interesting but sometimes overshadowed the murder plot.  Overall a solid read, but not exactly what I was expecting.

Many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK, One More Chapter for providing me an advance copy of this book.
I was intrigued by the title, cover and blurb that described this as a psychological thriller. Like so many other people who reviewed this, I have to agree it doesn't live up to it's description.

While there is a mystery: who killed the young teen-aged female? the main focus of the book seems to be on some of the hot topics of the day: abortion, homosexuality, bisexuality, hate, and religion, especially Catholicism. The author also liberally sprinkles in the f word and words that dishonor God.

The author does do a nice job creating an atmospheric story with some interesting characters who are on both sides of the debatable issues, but this does not come across as a psychological thriller, and it isn't one of those roller-coaster-ride type books either.

All in all, I give the book 4 stars because it is rather well written. The description should be updated to attract the audience that would appreciate it.
This was a really good read. I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Well written, tense, and some good twists and turns. I really look forward to reading more from this author! Thank you so much!
Interesting and well written I just personally couldn’t get into the story. Definitely creepy. Just a little slow and unbelievable at some points. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Interesting read but not my favorite style.
Many thanks to Harper Collins UK and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thank you for providing me with a review copy of this book. Enjoyed reading, some nice plot twists, would recommend....
Edge of the seat kind of book.
I really enjoyed this with its twists and turns and it being fast paced.
The book is well written, good relatable and believable characters and I would recommend this book
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers and the author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion
Thank you to Netgalley for this copy. It had everything I love about a thriller and kept me guessing till the end.
A true masterpiece! I became completely immersed in this novel, so much so I sat up through the night- unable to put it down. It revolves around a doctor being accused of murdering a local girl. Thank you C.K. for this fantastic storyline- I will definitely be reading more of your novels.
An insightful and dramatic read, showing the struggle of a female doctor to care for her patients while being accused of a terrible crime.
I thought this was going to be a good book but I was a bit disappointed.  It wasn't horrible but it just didn't grab my attention like I had expected it too. There wasn't any jaw dropping twist line I expected.
A good read but felt that some events that happened were a bit too coincidental just to make the story work. Easy to read though and kept me entertained as I did want to keep on reading when I had finished one chapter and go straight onto the next.
This book was a bit strange. The title makes you think what you think the book is actually about. But it has nothing to do with it. I found the book to be a bit disjointed and over the place.
Sadly this book just didn't work for me. I didn't like the style of writing and couldn't warm to any of the characters.
I will never look at Ireland in the same way...

The woman at no 13 is brilliant. A masterpiece where you can take a deeper look at what exactly is going on not in the cities, but the small villages of Ireland.

Of course, I know, it is just fiction, a vision of what would happen and it is nothing close to reality, but it makes me wonder what we see and what we do not want to see in other people.

This story contains many difficult matters to discuss. On one side, there is a conservative society with strict rules, on the second hand, people are more aware and with a different point of view, values, origin. These differences only make this book more complex and intriguing at the same time.

I love it. It has everything what I was looking for in the thriller. Mystery, murder, old histories and new beginnings for some of them. All these wraped in the nice-written box and here we go - a perfect gift for the readers!