Cover Image: Seven Lies

Seven Lies

I thought this book flowed well, well written and was a great plot. The characters weren’t very likable, but then I don’t suppose they were meant to be.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
A dark, gripping and tense thriller which reminded me a bit of "Single White Female". Totally enjoyed the narration point of view by one of the main characters, Jane. I love stories which have character narration and coupled with the suspense ans drama, this book was worth requesting.
I read this in one day. The narrator leads the reader through each of her lies, justifying, explaining, lying some more. The story seems plausible at first until you become aware of the lies heaped upon lies by Jane. A wonderfully unreliable narrator leaves the reader to pick through what is being  said (and what is not being said) to get to the truth of the story. Recommended.
Seven Lies starts with the narrator, Jane, telling the story of ‘seven lies’ she told her best friend Marnie. She hints at deaths and tragedies to come, which only interested me more (as bleak as it sounds!), and we are taken forwards and backwards in time, to the day they met, through to relationships they’ve each had, family issues, and the various incidents that prompted these lies from Jane.

Jane herself is such an interesting character. She seems to have many pyschopathic traits (I guess she probably is a pyschopath) but, if so, she’s a likeable pyschopath! I found myself really warming to her, despite uncovering more and more of her ‘unhinged’ thoughts and feelings – and actions, let’s not forget – about certain matters and people. She’s a master manipulator who appears to only want the best for Marnie, so perhaps some of that was rubbing off onto me as the reader too! We spend all of the novel in Jane’s head, seeing things from her point of view entirely, and the more the novel continues, the more we see things become more and more twisted. We never know whether to completely trust what Jane is saying, because we’ve known from the start that she has no problems with lying. Who is she addressing in Seven Lies, and would she be lying to them too?

Seven Lies is definitely dark and disturbing, with plenty of shocking moments throughout – some of which felt guiltily satisfying to me, too. I don’t want to give too much away but I really liked how Elizbeth Kay ended the novel; it felt just right to me and I finished it with a satisfied smile on my face. After this electrifying debut I’d definitely read more by Elizabeth Kay!
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book, which gripped me, despite being quite claustrophobic. None of the characters were very likeable and I think the ending was quite obvious, although I did find parts of it well observed.
The writing in this book is incredibly insightful and accomplished. The author has a way of describing things that made me just stop and think “oh yeeeahhh that’s so true”.

The plot is mainly driven by the characters; namely Jane our narrator and her best friend Marnie. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster with them - one minute hating Jane and feeling sorry for Marnie and then vice versa. Both women are so flawed but incredibly complex, realistic characters. There are some other supporting characters such as their respective husbands, and Jane’s mother and sister. We only really get to know a bit about her sister Emma but the supporting characters are all viewed through how they impact on Jane rather than in their own right so you don’t really get to know them too well.

Without spoiling anything, the ending was interesting and satisfying but has left me wanting to revisit these characters. I was left with a few questions about their friendship though.. things like why Marnie wasn’t at Jane’s wedding if she was so important to her and then why Jane doesn’t call Marnie in a time of need.

I cannot wait to read more from this author as her style is so beautiful. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC.
Fantastic! The author has done a wonderful job of layering the seven lies so that they build to a heart-stopping conclusion. I couldn't look away from the page!
Great storyline, great characters and a intriguing story about obsession and friendship. Was easy to read but the ending was a little disappointing and not really a surprise.
Seven Lies is a fantastic psychological thriller that builds in tension as the story progresses. Jane and Marnie have been inseparable since secondary school. Jane has been through unimaginable trauma, her husband Jonathan being killed by a drunk driver in front of her. So we have great sympathy towards her at the start of this book. When Marnie meets Charles, Jane tells her first lie - that she thinks they are right for one another, when actually she despises him and believes him wholly unworthy of Marnie's love. And we the reader would agree when he tries it on with Jane on his and Marnie's wedding day.

But events take a sinister turn when Jane finds Charles severely injured after falling down the stairs.  Her actions set in place a chain of events that will have tragic consequences, and we begin to question just how far she will go to keep Marnie close to her.

In the closing chapters of this book, your pulse will race when it's revealed just how sick Jane is, and the lengths she is prepared to go to to have Marnie all to herself.
Wow!! this is one that will certainly keep you on the edge of your seat, and perhaps make you look at your friends in a different light!!

A really good page turner that will keep you on your toes.
For some reason I just couldn’t take to this book when I read it first.  I think it was just my frame of mind and after so many people saying it was really good I decided to read it again,  Well the second time round it was like a completely different book I was reading and I totally loved it.   It wasn’t a fast paced read but one that you want to keep reading to find out what is going to happen.   This book kept my interest until the last sentence.
It was so dark and gripping! I just couldn't put it down!! I loved how well-written the characters were, especially with the protagonists Jane and Marnie. This is one of the first thrillers that I've ever read and I cannot wait to delve deeper into this genre!
Seven Lies Netgaller.
I know I am late with this review. However due to unforseen circumstances I apologise. This is a extremely gripping book one I struggled to put this book down. Such a powerful read of friendship love between to women who became best friends at the age of 11' I honestly believe in any relationship one is always loved offers more the the other. Has I do in a marriage ones Whitmore love to give than  the other ever will do. So one tells their friend a little white lie, lots of people do as NOT to hurt the other ones feelings, now the lid inevitably lead to another. However the first  one advantaged a catalyst of events that will come along and change the entire dimension of people friends around them. It comes from that first lie. This book tells the story of two best friends growing up even in their marriage relationships.  As we all grown up things change between them but they are still so close it does not affect the bond of their friendship until the first lie that leads to having to tell another blow to cover up the first and so that's how it goes a third lie to cover the second I was diverted to this book wondering what the next lie that will be told having started this somehow it's got to end. I am thinking of every scenario how this will end. Twists and turn coming from everywhere just desperate to know if she does get found out it not but most of all of she does how. The reporter who's convinced there's more to one story than meets the eye OMG I was totally shocked when the kids do actually catch her up, no way had I even given that's single thought. It's mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing. Then I turn a page to 4 years later having already thought basically the books all ready over. I really am trying do hard not to put any spoilers into this book its almost killing me not too. As I say the books over anyway so I reads about four years later as just a quick update to my amazement another ending not expected but another mind blowing and a creepy ending. Oh yes a real creepy ending to the entire book. It the first book I have read by this author on and trust me it's definitely not going to be the last. This is not my normal gender but not on boy what one kitchen lead too. It's not something we really think about truthfully, because let's be honest who as not told a white lie in their lives. Sometimes to keep the piece. Others not to hurt. Someone's feelings. All I am going to say is this book as definitely got to be a must be read book. You will not be disappointed.
This book immediately grabs you, and you immediately are in this with Jane and Marnie for the long haul. The characters are perfectly written and the plot flows so well, with twists and surprises being perfectly placed along the way,.
This was really exquisitely written, dark and compulsive. It kept me guessing the whole way through, and by the time I got to the end, I felt like my heart was in my throat.

I really enjoyed it - and I think it would make a brilliant TV series!
Jane and Marnie have always been best friends. Not just best friends, but inseparable ever since school. Through uni and boyfriends and different cities and different jobs, there has been nothing to keep them apart. Until Jane gets married, and Marnie's boyfriend, Charles, is a dick and their friendship is tested.

Why is platonic love not see as important as romantic love?

Jane will do anything to get her and Marnie back to where they were. And it starts with one little lie. But that rolls into another and another until Jane's gone too far to come back and Charles is dead... and surely this means they can go back to normal? Right?

Wow. Just... wow.

As the narrator of this book, I found Jane's voice so incredibly compelling. While the topics she was talking about - feeling left out, growing apart from a friend, why aren't friendships important - could have come across as whiney from some authors, this most certainly wasn't. I related so hard to everything she said, and I felt sympathy and like she was talking to me.

(Side note: I currently happen to be like practically the only single one out of my main group of friends, and that's fine, but sometimes it is a bit like... can't you do anything without your boyfriend now? Why don't we hang out as much? Can't you make time to see me? Which is why I related so much.)

And the way Kay delivers this friendship is so intense and true and it's so compelling to read about. What starts as a normal friendship leads to dependency and jealousy and at first, it hit so close to home. It's that rescheduled event, that unanswered text, but Kay delves into the reliance on another person, and how do you react when you're told - by society, your friends, this other person - that this relationship that is so important to you and has played such an important part of your life is actually not that important?

I just absolutely loved Jane's voice and despite knowing how ridiculous some of her actions were... I got them, you know? I got where she was coming from, and I sympathised with her so much. I was hooked from the very beginning, not just due to Jane's voice and the story content, but the pacing was so good, and the flashbacks were woven seamlessly into the present day story.

Throughout the novel, it's clear Jane is talking to someone, addressing someone personally as she tells them this story. But who? I never guessed it and even though it's not a massive twist, it's still something that kept me going back to this book and want to keep on reading.

I will also say: trigger warning for anorexia/eating disorders content. Not massively in depth or detailed, but it's definitely brought up and is an important theme which I thought was handled well and delicately.

As well as that, I think Kay did a really good job of addressing abuse and grief and a myriad of hard to stomach issues that felt true but not overly indulgent or just for kicks.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this book. I loved it and I'm really excited to see what Elizabeth Kay writes next!
I was instantly caught up in this story.
Jane and Marnie have been inseparable since their friendship started back in school, Jane is recounting her version of events through time and the seven lies that have been told along the way that lead to the chilling event of murder.  The characters are beautifully written.  The plot unravels shocking and surprising you as you read.  A chilling read that grips you early on an ending open to a sequel.
"Seven lies" is a psychological thriller in which we follow Jane as she relates the story of her friendship with Marnie, her best friend since school, Jane is still grieving her husband, she longs to be close to Marnie again, their friendship tight and insular. But Marnie's marriage to Charles is threatening their relationship ,and Jane hates him.
Jane confesses to the reader her lies and their consequences, but the reader comes to realise that she is not a reliable narrator. We wonder who is she telling this story to and why?

I was very quickly drawn into this book due to a distinctive narrator voice and a very promising, chilling beginning. Jane is a great character and the author allows the reader into her head to listen to her explanations and to witness her raw emotions.

However it is not a perfect book - firstly I thought it was much too long and in certain elements and subplots  were not necessarily adding much to the story. On the other hand, certain  parts could be better concluded. But this is a very very promising debut novel and I am looking forward to reading more books by Elizabeth Kay.
Thanks to Netgalley for the preview of this book.  It was an excellent debut novel from Kay. This story is dark but intriguing & gripping. It is exceptionally well written & credible.  I cannot wait for more from this amazing writer.
Oh my goodness, what a story! I really enjoyed this book. It is well written and covers a lot of ground without feeling like things have been added to pad it out, it draws you in from the start and you get caught up in the lives of the characters. I didn’t like the main character for most of the book, and that’s okay. There were times when I felt for her and wanted her to be happy, but mostly I read on with curiosity, hoping that she would get her comeuppance. I definitely recommend this book and will be looking out for others by this author. Thank you #netgalley.