The Body in the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

When not reading psychological thrillers I usually turn to an English crime procedural for a change of page. And chose this one as it was snowing and I felt it was appropriate.  Thank goodness it wasn’t sunny or I might have missed a really good one.  The fourth in a series with this detective it seems (but my first) no worries, it works as a stand-alone. The plot revolves around a murdered woman who was well known as a chef and the owner of a national food company.   The  victims family and  patriarchal culture was deftly highlighted and necessary to follow the team to the conclusion.  I enjoyed reading about the various team members and their interactions so I’m now planning on reading some of the previous installments to learn more of their back stories.
There are lots of helpful reviews by smarter people out there, so I'll just recommend this to police procedural fans. Recommended.

I really appreciate the review copy!!
The Body in the Snow is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series, set in Surrey. While these mysteries do stand alone, you do really need to have read the previous book (The Body in the Mist) to understand the background story about what’s going on with his terrible neighbour. This was another well crafted police procedural featuring a flawed but resolute detective.

On a snowy winter morning, a middle aged Asian woman is brutally murdered while walking in a park. Discovering that she is a well known TV chef and beloved matriarch of a successful family owned Indian food company, Craig and his team suspect that the killing was motivated by the greed of her entitled, grasping extended family, but the politics within his department push him to find a suspect as soon as possible, pushing his ethics to the limit.

I’ve enjoyed this series despite not particularly warming to the hero, who’s a bit sleazy around women and inconsiderate of his wife, the increasingly pathetic jealous whiny Sam. While his team are quite involved in this one, they are not well developed as characters, so when something awful happens to one of them, there was no emotional punch, it just felt like a plot device. On the other hand the dynamics of the Indian hereditary system, and their impact on women in particular, were fully explored and lay at the root of the murder. And all the references to delicious Indian food had me craving curry!

I was slightly disappointed by the ending of the last book,  and so hoped that the Gillard’s family drama would be resolved in this one, but instead it seems it will be dragged out as a backdrop to the next one at least, from the rather heavy foreshadowing here. A certain character definitely needs to pay for what they’ve done (carefully avoiding spoilers...)

I stayed up well past bedtime finishing this, and didn’t guess whodunnit it until shortly before the reveal. Things were wrapped up satisfactorily although I would’ve liked to know what happened to the dog... The next book is published in July so not too long to wait to find out what happens to poor overworked Craig next!

My thanks to NetGalley and Canelo for the ARC which allowed me to give an honest review, and apologies that it’s a bit late. The Body in the Snow is available now.
A Catalogue Of Events....
Book four in the DCI Craig Gillard series. The murder of a woman in a park by a passing cyclist sets off a catalogue of events for Gillard. Well written procedural with rounded characters and a solid plot. An engrossing read.
A good thriller set in England - enjoyable to read and gripping enough to be a page turner. I enjoyed this story and the characters around it.

Thanks for letting me review this book
Where do I begin? This is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard Series and in my opinion they just keep getting better and better. Whilst this book works perfectly well as a standalone I would recommend reading the others just to get to know some of the reoccurring characters better.

Whilst the majority of the book focuses on the crime at hand we do have a few backstories as well. Craig’s personal life is starting to play a bigger role in the books and I’m intrigued as to how things will end up with his Aunt Trish. Kirsty Mockett’s story was also interesting and I hope we will see more of her and of course I have to mention the comedy duo Tweedledee and Tweedledum that often bring tears to my eyes however this time it was for a different reason.

I really enjoyed reading about the Indian culture and learning about their different customs and traditions, as always Nick Louth has done his research thoroughly. The Roy family were an interesting bunch of characters and were not in short supply of family drama. Out of all of them I warmed to Harry the most, you could tell that he doted on his mother and was utterly devastated when she was murdered.

Like most crime readers I am always trying to figure out the whodunit before it is revealed and as always I failed miserably. I know what to look out for but I get drawn into the characters and miss the little hints that were there from the beginning. This revelation took me by surprise and whilst you would think, after reading so many crime books that I’d spot it easily, I’m glad that Nick Louth still has the ability to take me by surprise.

As I said previously these books just keep getting better and I think that is because I feel like part of the team. I’m embedded in the investigation and could easily imagine myself in the interviewing room questioning potential suspects!

This story is full of drama, mystery, suspense, plot twists and everything else you’d expect from a fab crime read. That is why I am giving it a huge 5*’s. I’m always sad when the book is over but thankfully I don’t have to wait too long as the next instalment, The Body Under The Bridge, is out in a couple of months!
An interesting read with a cast of characters and no end to possible suspects.  There seemed to be so many with a motive and all had secrets of their own.   The ending was a nice surprise.
DI Gillard is back and better than ever.  The 4th book in "The Body In The" series is a great stand alone or a great continuation of a series many readers have come to love.    Nick Louth starts the story off with an unusual murder where the clues are quickly disappearing in the melting snow.  This cast of characters quickly learns that this crime is not going to be easy to solve.  Suspects seem to have been lining up for the chance to kill this victim.  Readers will change their minds often as the clues play out with a few twists and turns.
This is the fourth in DCI Gillard ‘The Body in the......’ series of novels. Written very much in the style of similar lead detective crime procedurals, this is likely to appeal to Nick Louth’s fans, who have enjoyed Gillard’s other outings. Gillard’s team has some well-developed characters who will be known to readers of earlier novels, but the book is equally accessible to new readers. Nick Louth’s plot trajectories, as in this instance, often feel somewhat unnecessarily convoluted - to this reader at least - and do not always tie up the all the loose ends.
Notwithstanding these minor reservations, this is an enjoyable read, which maintains pace throughout. Plenty of red herrings draw the reader down several blind alleys, whilst the eventual denouement is credible. Recommended.
I like Nick Louth's DCI Gillard character, he seems dependable, thorough and courageous.
In this book he really has to use his intuition to form a case for what seems to be an incredibly difficult to prove murder.
He comes up against what seems to be a loving family, but, we all know how people can lie when covering up.
This is the fourth book in the series by Nick Louth that I have read. They are based on DCI Craig Gillard and his team in the Surrey Police Force. This time they are dealing with the murder of an Asian woman Mrs Roy, she was walking her dog Bertie on the common when an assailant attacked and killed her. Fortunately there was a trainee CSI officer on a morning run very close to the incident and when she heard the scream she ran back and secured the scene despite the snow on the ground melting. Mrs Roy was the owner of Empire Of Spice, a company producing Asian sauces and pickles to the European market and her death has shocked her family. The team are also told after the autopsy that as well as her murder Mrs Roy was also being poisoned by Thallium Sulphate. Another difficult case for DCI Gillard and his team to investigate. Absolutely excellent book by this author which I read over two days and I am already looking forward to his next.
When a trainee CSI goes out for a run one early, snowy morning, the last thing she expects is to be is a witness to a barbaric crime: the body of a woman is found, bludgeoned to death by a passing cyclist. The victim, Tanvi Roy, is something of a celebrity and, thanks to her food empire, is one of Britain’s richest women. Due to the complexities of her work and family life, DCI Craig Gillard must delve deep into her past to find a motive and, hopefully, the killer.

The Body in the Snow is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series and although there are a few references to the previous book, this would only really be noticeable to anyone who has read it so this can definitely be read as a standalone.

Again, Nick Louth has constructed a complex plot, this time revolving around a wealthy Hindu family and the conflicts between the traditional way of doing things and the desire of the younger generation to move with the times. In a book with so many characters, it would be easy to get lost, but each one is so well-written that this is never the case. The abundance of characters helped to create a proper ‘whodunit’, each person seemingly having their own motive for wanting Mrs Roy dead.

The Body in the Snow is definitely a police procedural in that, as well as the main focus of the plot being on the investigation, we also get to read about the forensics involved in the case. I enjoyed reading about how, at the start of the story, Kirsty Mockett, the trainee CSI, fought to preserve evidence using less than orthodox techniques.

As someone who has read the previous book in this series, I was unnerved by the mentions of a particular character and look forward to seeing if this person plays a role in what looks like an excellent fifth installment, my appetite being whetted by the inclusion of an extract at the end of this book.

If you haven’t read any of this series, I can highly recommend them.
Another strong crime thriller from Nick Louth.. As with 'The Body in the Mist' this made for a very satisfying read that is more about the process of crime-solving than about the violence.
DCI Gillard comes across as a believable quite down-to-earth character who makes the case plausible.
I shall definitely look forward to more from this author.

Thank you to Canelo Books and NetGalley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Another brilliant book from Nick, how does he keep thinking up these great plots? Well written with characters that work together as once you start reading you can't put it down. I would recommend this and a big 5 stars from me.
A SPICED UP INVESTIGATION

This is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series and just like its predecessors is a thoroughly well told procedural crime story with numerous twists and turns.

This time he is investigating the murder of the matriarch of an Indian food company where all the family and close associates eventually become suspects which have to be eliminated. The job is not helped by the various family rivalries and self interests.

Whilst the book is an excellent gripping and entertaining read on its own, I would encourage readers to read all the books in this series as the standard is equally good throughout.

I read the book pre-publication at the request of the publishers, but have provided an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and author for this ARC.

This is my first read by this author.  It is part of a series and be read on it’s own.  I really enjoyed this book, it started off well with a murder taking place and DCI Gillard and his team investigating this.  I really liked the DCI as a character, you get little glimpses of his personal and home life and how committed he is to his job.  I hadn’t a clue who the murderer was, there were so many potential suspects who all had their own secrets.  The book was a fab read, it had many plot twists and surprises which I liked and it kept my attention all the way through.     I will definitely read the next book and previous books featuring DCI Gillard.  I would recommend this book to those who like police procedurals, crime books.  4 stars
The day before Kirsti is about to start work as a CSI she comes across a frenzied dog & the battered body of a woman. A hooded cyclist is seen peddling away. She valiantly tries to preserve evidence in the rapidly disappearing snow & is rescued by DCI Gillard. The victim is  Tanvi Roy. She runs the very successful company Empire of Spice- a company her family has built up almost from nothing.

It soon becomes apparent that there are many things going on in this very male dominated Hindu family. There is a lot going on in the business & within the family. An early breakthrough with DNA leads to an arrest, but Gallard is not happy that they have the right person. Each day seems to bring up more questions than answers.

This was a great police procedural. Although this is number 4 in the series & I hadn't read any of the others, it worked perfectly well as a standalone. The core characters were engaging & the Roy family were a really interesting bunch. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
A woman is murdered, battered to death while walking her dog on the common. Newly qualified CSI Kirsty Mockett happens to be jogging nearby and is first on the scene. Soon DCI Craig Gillard is on the case, but with all the secrets and lies, can he get to the truth?

Having read other Nick Louth books, I was really looking forward to reading Body in the Snow, but somehow it failed t9 deliver. I found some of the characters fairly unbelievable - especially the mother trying to turn her daughter into a boy so he could inherit the estate - and struggled to maintain any interest in finishing the story.

Sadly, an at times over complicated, far fetched story that failed to live up to Nick’s other books.
This is such a cracking good series. A further instalment in the DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers series and Craig & Sam are in a good place, albeit for the neighbour from hell across the road. In the main plot Craig is called to the discovery by a trainee CSI of a body in the snow and so begins to unravel an excellent story. The plot twists and turns, with lots of cultural intrigue to deliver an unexpected villain. As this happens Craig’s personal life goes from fabulous to tragic in the blink of an eye - excellent stuff
The Body in the Snow is the 4th book in the DCI Craig Gillard Series ,I have read the other books in the series and have come to know Gillard quite well and this book is the best so far in my opinion .A body is found in the snow and discovered by a young detective .The victim is Tanvi Roy one of the UK'S richest women ..Gillard and his team are called in to investigate and as he digs deeper into the Roy Family he finds all is not as it seems .This is a brilliant story full of twists and turns with the odd red herring thrown in !This is one of those books it is hard to put down I can't wait to read the next book in the series .Many thanks to the Publisher the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .