The Body in the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

The Body in the Snow is the 4th book in the DCI Craig Gillard Series ,I have read the other books in the series and have come to know Gillard quite well and this book is the best so far in my opinion .A body is found in the snow and discovered by a young detective .The victim is Tanvi Roy one of the UK'S richest women ..Gillard and his team are called in to investigate and as he digs deeper into the Roy Family he finds all is not as it seems .This is a brilliant story full of twists and turns with the odd red herring thrown in !This is one of those books it is hard to put down I can't wait to read the next book in the series .Many thanks to the Publisher the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .
What a really good story!  Nick Lough has surpassed himself with this excellent mystery - I just wanted to keep on reading until the very end.  The plot is gripping and the characters are extremely well written.  thoroughly enjoyable and can't wait for the next DCI Gillard.
The Body in the Snow is the fourth instalment in the DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers series of which all of the books can be read as standalones without any issues whatsoever. Louth manages to strike an often difficult to achieve balance between an exciting and intriguing plot and showing the tedium of police work. When prominent local businesswoman Tanvi Roy, who had been out walking her dog, is found slaughtered by trainee CSI Kirsty Mockett, DCI Gillard is sent to begin an investigation. There is little forensic evidence to be found at the scene and Craig and his team are struggling to find a motivation for the cold-blooded murder. They soon establish, to their horror, that there is much more likelihood of the crime having been committed by either one of Roy’s business contacts or her family and begin a deep dive into all her associates.

I very much enjoyed the fact that there were plenty of suspects once the police determined the direction to go in and the investigation team as a whole were proficient and worked exceptionally well together. From the opening pages, you are hypnotised by Louth’s writing making it almost impossible to put down, and I raced through it in one sitting. It’s an easy, entertaining read and one that can be enjoyed by every type of crime reader as it has so much to offer in terms of plot, characterisation and endless reveals. We watch as slowly but surely the Roy family secrets and indiscretions are unmasked. Louth is undoubtedly one of the best and most accomplished British crime writers working right today, and I hope he soon gains the recognition he deserves. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Canelo for an ARC.
Another great read by Nick, I am enjoying reading this series.  A written story and I am looking forward to reading the next book.
I've already read The Body in the Mist, so I was looking forward to this one and I wasn't disappointed. The Body in the Snow has a strong plot, well written characters and a few twists and turns. It's a well-detailed book that kept my interest going.
A strong police procedural

A skull smashed in the snow found by the trainee cop Kirsty who tried to maintain the crime scene with ingenious methods until DCI Craig Gillard came to the scene. The team started their investigation.

My first book by author Nick Louth, though it was the fourth in the series, was a well written police procedural. Quite detailed with a solid plot line, I loved how the team had to go searching for clues. The plot lines seemed to enmesh smoothly, and the scenes seemed to just flow.

Gillard was a great cop who knew how to lead his team even through various obstacles. I didn't bother much about their personal lives as I was more into the investigation. The author knew how to keep my interest going. This was a well detailed, solid police investigation where the realities of working with a good team and some not so diligent members were shown.

The prose kept me hooked, the story unfolded slowly. There were no twists and neither did I try to become a part of this investigation. I just read about Gillard doing his job with strength and determination.
Another brilliant book in this series. There are plenty of twists in the plot and some interesting characters. I read this book in one sitting. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.
A page turner a police procedural i could not put down  well written complex an author I will be following looking forward to the next in the series.#netgalley#canelo
Normally I read books that are a part of a series in order, but was given the chance to read “The Body in the Snow” as an advanced reader’s copy through NetGalley. The main character, DCI Gillard, was interesting, and I enjoyed his interactions with his coworkers, friends and family of the victims and suspects. I did not see the ending coming. This was a good police procedural, I’ll definitely be reading the rest of the series starting at the beginning.
This is the second book in the DCI Gillard series I have read.  This one is a police procedural and very good.
A new detective is out jogging and comes across the body of Tanvi Roy, rich businesswoman. Gillard and his team start the slow process of solving the murder.
The story was well written and kept me guessing on the murder.  I was not happy to see Gillard’s aunt again - which really does not add to the story.

Thank you, Net Galley, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and plan to read the others.

Kirsty Mockett happens upon a murder the day before she was scheduled to begin her new job as a crime scene investigator.  Despite her inexperience and nervousness, she shows immediate promise by finding a creative way to preserve evidence at the snowy scene.  So far, so good.  This was an excellent start to a book featuring someone I thought would be a terrific protagonist—a bright, energetic young woman with plenty of brains but also plenty to learn.  Not being familiar with the other books in this series, I was excited for this excellent character to pair up with an experienced DCI named Craig Gillard (as mentioned on the cover) to investigate the case.  Except that she didn’t.  The case is turned over to DCI Gillard, who does a fine job, and Kirsty exits stage left, basically never to be heard from again.  The book is a solid police procedural with plenty of viable suspects and motives and a satisfying conclusion.  I enjoyed it while vaguely lamenting the whole time that Kirsty wasn’t involved;  I felt that it was a missed opportunity to feature a much more interesting investigator in conjunction with Gillard.

Thanks to Netgalley and Canelo for a digital advance review copy.
It's the first book I read in this series and won't surely be the last.
It's a gripping and entertaining story, well crafted and it kept my interest till the end.
The mystery is solid, the cast of characters well thought.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
DCI Gillard returns in The Body in the Snow which is the latest book by Nick Louth

This is a police procedural novel that moves along at a decent pace and has a good underlying story or more accurately stories

My only reservation is the side story about Gillard’s Aunt but that aside this is a book I enjoyed & would recommend
Straightforward police procedural, this author is not afraid to deal with UK/Asia Indian family’s prejudices ...  arranged marriages , inheritance laws and fears of so-called abnormal behaviour all emerge...even suspect is trainee police detective in collusion when first witness is implicated. Maybe it’s all too pat, but two brutal murders planned for same-sex love and financial gain begins to feel like tarnishing that love and fear of dominant woman who is Indian ..  then there's f complete confession .. hard for Gillard to navigate the ins and outs to find his killer..interesting and fast paced (although at times things lagged).. this is not bad at all, and clearly part of an ongoing series.
Much , much better than an earlier book ("Body on Shore") which I read a couple of years ago.

A wealthy woman brutally killed in the snow and DCI Gillard called in to solve the murder. I actually warmed to this central character, and well above average solving a tricky family type murder mystery. Members of the family send DCI Gillard down all sorts of blind alleys.

Good pace all the way through, and a believable ending.

Thanks to Canelo and Net Galley for the chance to read and review.
This is another great read in the DCI Craig Gillard series of books.  This one features the death of a prominent Indian Businesswoman who ran the Empire of Spice food company.  The large family all come under suspicion as they each seem to have something to gain from her death but DCI Gillard doggedly works through lots of forensics, cctv etc before he eventually gets the perpetrator.

All the characters are well drawn and have depth.  The plot is tight and well written and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

Highly recommended.
Tomorrow (Monday) CSI trainee Kristy Mockett is set to begin her first day on the job. She’s just finished her training and is eager to get to work for the Surrey Police. Today (Sunday) she goes out for a jog in the crisp winter morning air. Light snowfall last night.

She is dang near run over by a cyclist but continues on. Near the end of her path through the park she comes across an older Indian woman who has been assaulted and fatally beaten. Her initial shock is pushed deep as her training kicks in. She calls it in and sets out to isolate and preserve the crime scene.

DCI Craig Gillard gets the case. After studying the crime scene, he has to make the family notification. Turns out, the victim, Tanvi Roy, was the matriarch of a highly successful business that imported Indian spices and foods to her UK-based grocery stores. Even expanded into TV cooking shows. Yeah, the Roy family is doing pretty dang good.

As in most murder investigations, DCI Gillard starts with the family as well as anyone that would stand to gain from Mrs. Roy’s death. In this case, he didn’t have to look much past the toxic interrelationships within the family. Most everyone has a reason to see her dead. Some financial, some personal, some cultural.

This isn’t an action-based novel by any stretch. A little Agatha Christie-ish? Maybe. Having just seen the 2019 movie Knives Out, the similarities are apparent (death of the family scion to a very troubled family). Anyway, it’s probably a more realistic example of a police procedural than all those car chase-shoot-em-ups so common these days. Louth’s DCI Gillard is a believable and sympathetic detective who deals with suspects, colleagues, and his bosses much the way you might expect you would, if you were in Gillard’s shoes. This is the 4th DCI Gillard story by Louth (they are all titled as "The Body In The . . . ") and I suspect the series would be easily entered and completed in short order.
When a woman is found dead in snowy woodland it’s lucky that the first person on the scene is trainee CSI Kirsty Mockett. Kirsty manages to preserve some vital evidence in spite of the complexity of the crime scene.
The dead woman is Tanvi Roy head of Empire Of Spice a large food company worth millions of pounds and DCI Craig Gillard & DI Claire Mulholland are called on to find out who could have killed her in such a brutal way.
As Gillard investigates the family and the business looking for a motive it becomes clear that more than one person could have wanted Tanvi dead and he will have to cut through a web of secrets and lies to find the culprit.
Another fabulous read from Nick Louth, thoroughly enjoyed this and would highly recommend this to anyone who likes police procedural novels.
Finding a dead body in the park the day before starting work as a CSI wasn't how Kirsty Mockett imagined her new career with the Surrey Police would kick off. For DCI Craig Gillard and his team however, it's a huge stroke of luck he knows they have to take advantage of. With a high profile victim and even higher maintenance suspects nothing is as it seems within the walls of the wealthy Roy family and just as one clue falls into its rightful place another question is raised. Craig knows solving his latest complex investigation will take time and patience, something in ever decreasing supply.

This is the second Craig Gillard book I have read in this series and it didn't disappoint. The ending to the previous novel indicated changes in his private life which could only add to the stresses of everything else he was involved in. This was continued with just enough storytime to show it would continue into at least the next inslment, the first chapter of which is included at the end of this story and begins immediately this book finishes.

There is nothing formulaic about Nick Louth's books and once again I made what I thought were informed decisions on whodunnit only to be led off in another direction almost straightaway. The storyline covers many topics I know very little about and it was fascinating to learn more about the Hindu lifestyle and how it does and doesn't fit into modern life. The reactions of those involved was varied and gave a good indication of the struggles faced by strongly religious families as well as those raised with all the privileges we think we want without grasping their limitations.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this book thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone following this series or who enjoys reading British crime fiction of a consistently high standard.