The Body in the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

Kirsty is out jogging through a park in the snow, looking forward to her first day as a detective, when she stumbles across a murder and it has been carried out by a hooded cyclist.
The murdered woman is very rich and the head of an Indian family with a global empire in Indian food. Detective Gillard is back and in charge. As he delves into the family he soon realises there are tensions and problems within the family. But that is not the only family with problems.
If you love British police procedurals, you may enjoy this series. In this entry, a woman is found bludgeoned to death on a snowy wooded footpath. She was the CEO of a large Indian food empire based in the UK but with ties to Indian sources and traditions - including inheritance practices that favor male heirs. The entanglements among the wealthy but unhappy family are in some ways reminiscent of Golden Age mysteries, but with a modern Asian-British angle. Less successful is the development of the characters of the police team and the overall writing style is fairly flat and pedestrian. There's a dangling thread left from a previous entry that isn't terribly well explained for those new to the series, and the hook at the end for the next in series is ... well, I find those annoying. Overall, points for the interesting situation that sets up the mystery but points off for the delivery.
This is good solid British crime writing from a reliable author who thinks up devious plots and believable characters.
Always a good read.
This book also brought up 2 very interesting snippets - the first in location 2619, which is 54% of the way through, is a conversation between a mother and her very precocious 11 year old daughter. The second is better and most women will love this one. Location 2911. A discussion on ‘wrinkled bits’ left over from universe building and what happened to them!
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. Well written police procedural novel of British detectives. The plot has enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested but not really enough action to make it a thriller. One of my pet peeves is authors over filling novels with complicated characters that make it hard for the reader to keep all the happenings straight.
Good police procedural in the DCI Craig Gillard series. A vicious murder of a high profile businesswoman witnessed by a young CSI trainee sets off a murky tale of family deceit and counter deceit. Suspects abound and when a DNA match is found it looks like it's solved. But with lots more twists and turns the story becomes ever darker with the murder of a police colleague thrown into the mix. With problems at home the DCI is under pressure to solve this complicated web and all is resolved in a thrilling denouement. Good stuff!
I am really enjoying this series of books to feature DCI Craig Gillard. This book is well written and crafted with excellent characterisation and well researched. It is a very good police procedural and I have no hesitation in recommending it. An easy 5* from me. I recommend starting with the first book in the series for background information. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
A good story, well written and with believable characters.  DCI Craig Gillard is a real character with a home life that is settled but still in turmoil thanks to spiteful females around him.  The book kept my interest from start to finish.

I really enjoyed it.

I read a free advance review copy provided by Netgalley and the publisher.  This review is voluntary, honest and my own opinion
The Body in the Snow by Nick Louth.  Slow paced at times, a suspenseful mystery with a family in turmoil . Police procedural with many interesting characters and plot twists.  Interesting insights into the Hindu culture.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
A fast paced police procedural that keeps you turning the pages. It has interesting characters and a suspenseful mystery.
This was an excellent Murder/Mystery, police procedural story. Lots of twists and turns to get you involved. The structure of the story was good and the characters very believable. I like the conclusion, a policemans' job is never done.
Never fails to disappoint with another excellent crime novel. Lots of twists and throughout and near on impossible to put down
The Body in the Snow is intriguing story. I found it drags at times, but over all intriguing. Lots of twist that keep yoy guessing as to who done it.
The next book in the series by Louth featuring the likeable detective Gillard.   After the murder of a prominent business woman the team investigate the business Empire and it's complicated family structure.   The story was always interesting and kept me guessing.  I do enjoy it when there is no obvious culprit and the author can keep the reader in the dark.   However the time frame of Sam's pregnancy is confusing to those who have followed the series.
The fourth book in this excellent series sees a wealthy business woman murdered.  Family and business associates all come under scrutiny as the plot twists and turns.  This series is well written and extremely enjoyable to read.
I found this book rather slow to start but it soon picked up pace.  As with all the books in this series, it is highly recommended.
The Body in the Snow was nothing short of terrific. The story was extremely interesting, and topical as well. I would have like a bit more emphasis on the main detective's back story with Sam and the Aunt, but I was never bored and honestly read it in a couple of hours. Nick Louth is a definite keeper on anyone's list of Authors Not to Miss!
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers, Canelo for the arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
This is the fourth book in the DCI Craig Gillard series and each book just gets better. I have only recently read the first book in the series, The Body in the Marsh, having read books 2 and 3 previously and I have been impressed by the high standard of storytelling in each of the books. The characters that appear regularly all have their own characteristics and idiosyncrasies and the reader sees a little more with each book. I am looking forward to reading book 5 next year, The Body Under The Bridge.
Highly recommended
A young trainee CSI Officer out early in the morning comes across a body laying in the snow , passed onto DCI Gillard and his team there are few clues and very little at the crime scene to help locate the murderer

Number 4 in the series and getting better with every book that is published
I would like to thank Netgalley and Canelo for an advance copy of The Body in the Snow, the fourth novel to feature DCI Craig Gillard of the Surrey Police.

When trainee CSI Kirsty Mockett comes across the murdered body of Mrs Tanvi Roy lying in melting snow she does her best to preserve the scene but there are few clues for Gillard and his team to follow and they soon come to believe that the solution will be found in the tangled relationships that comprise Mrs Roy’s family and work life.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Body in the Snow which is exactly the kind of novel I like to read, a good police procedural with a well hidden perpetrator and a strong investigation. The novel grabbed my attention from the start with the discovery of the body in unusual circumstances and the revelation that Mrs Roy (no Tanvi for her) was a TV chef and business owner, therefore a celebrity and added pressure on the investigation. Mr Louth, who is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, has a way of making his plot both accessible and curiosity inducing very quickly. It’s a skill that is often overlooked but seems to me essential in this era of low attention span and I include myself in this - I like to be hooked early on. The novel is not action packed, except a few obligatory scenes near the end, and doesn’t have many shocking or surprising twists, again more towards the end, but that doesn’t make it boring or uninteresting. I was fascinated by the gradual unravelling of the Roy family secrets and relationships. There seems to be a new reveal on every page and it all adds to the mystery of the murder and the perpetrator. The solution is perhaps not as strong as the rest of the novel but plays well in the setting of a Hindu family.

There is a mild subplot of harassment in Gillard’s personal life. I’m unsure about it as it seems a bit like background noise with the investigation properly taking front and centre stage. On the other hand most harassment often starts low key and is difficult to prove, only having an effect on the victimised. I think it may be an ongoing thread and I look forward to seeing it developed further with greater emphasis.

The Body in the Snow is a good read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
Mrs Roy runs a successful company and is murdered while walking her dog. Who did it and why? DCI Gillard is tasked to find out. An excellent book that keeps your attention throughout both in regards to the case and his private life. Family tensions and intrigues, a great read, enjoy.
Very suspenseful mystery filled with family drama, lies, deceit, and of course murder. When a family matriarch is found murdered while out walking the dog, the police are forced to look into all aspects of the family on both a  personal and professional level.  What they find will lead them on a chase to find out who was able to commit murder.  This was my first book by Nick Louth, and I am looking forward to more.  The characters and plot were well developed and the story had many twists and turns that kept me guessing until the very end.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.