The Body in the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

Another brilliant storyline from Nick Louth. I really don’t know how he manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat right at the end, just when you are sure you’ve worked out who it is!!!

At first you think Craig is going round in circles until he gets a lucky break and it all slots into place.  It was an interesting storyline from the female Indian prospective, I didn’t realise they went so far over to the male hierarchy, almost to the point of any female exclusion.  I have to say it was very enjoyable.

However, his wife gets on my nerves, she’s so pathetic, if she doesn’t like being in her own she shouldn’t have married him!   She gives him a hard time, and he’s got enough on his plate.

My thanks to Nick and Netgalley for the ARC.

I
Another excellent book, only discovered this author recently but look forward to every book now.
Fast paced with twists galore well worth a read
This was very good. I enjoyed the story and description of a family feud, as well as the detectives trying to solve the murder. I don’t was to give the plot away, but every character was well developed and believable. Highly recommended.
Thanks to Netgalley and Canelo books for the opportunity to read the fourth book in the DCI Gillard series. It was very cleverly written managing to weave in a different culture while still being entertaining. Lots of twists and turns , with side-stories of  a trainee CSI tampering with evidence. I didn’t quite work out what happened to her , she seemed to just get away with it. Also insider trading and the creepy , manipulative aunt who has moved in across the road. A great book once again from Nick Louth
Thanks to NetGalley for an opportunity to read this new offering from Nick Louth. I have read all of the books in this series and found this one to be the least admirable. There did not seem to be as much attention to details as in previous novels and this was also shorter in length. Maybe suffering a bit from writer's block - I am sure the next one will be more gripping.
This book follows the investigation of the death of a business woman in a park. DCI Craig Gillard is appointed to the case.  The storyline is Good but I found there was a lot of wasted time with little twists that weren’t built up enough to seem realistic.  I have not read any of the other stories with this main character and perhaps that would have helped. I found there were things that were mentioned but then just dropped to the side. The characters weren’t overly interesting and I didn’t really care much for any of them. It is a decent book but it lacks the excitement and suspense that most crime novels have.
When a young, newly qualified, Forensic Scene Investigator goes out jogging in the snow the day before her first day on duty she didn’t expect to be a witness to a murder.

First on the scene she attempts to protect it from being destroyed by the victims dog, and preserve tacks that are being lost as the snow melts.

Her knight in shining armour arrives in the form of Senior Investigating Officer Craig Gillllard, one of Surreys Murder Investigation Team.

The victim is Tanvi Roy, the owner of a large Indian Cuisine Company and the matriarch of the dysfunctional Roy Family.

The family are Hindus and run their business, and their family affairs, in a traditional manner.

Mrs Roy’s husband had died before the story starts but his influences run right through the book. The multi-million pound fortune is tied up in a Codicil which sees unequal sharing of equities, with Sons, Grandsons, and even Son-in-Laws, being given much more value than, wives, daughters and granddaughters.

The unequal distribution of share holding’s means that it’s nearly impossible to get a group decision, and one rival company has been trying to buy the Roy’s business for years

This gives just about everybody in the family a reason to see Mrs Roy dead.

Throughout the investigation Gillard uncovers years of resent within the family.

I love a book that gives me new knowledge as well as entertains me. This book has done just that. I fell into a Google worm-hole that lasted for hours looking at Hindu family traditions, including Codicil Wills, arranged marriages and Castes.

Nick Louth has written a wonderful book. Some people will do as I did and research the Hindu faith, and I’m sure will learn they did not know as much as they thought.

I think this was a brave book to write. It looks at a religion and bases a family murder firmly in the way that people of that faith act. It looks at the differences between generations, and the conflicts between the older, first generation of immigrants, and their more westernised younger generations, and the problems that it can.

A wonderful book that kept me reading when I should have been doing other things.
I am grateful to net galley and Canelo for a review copy of this book. I really enjoyed this book it was a great murder mystery, drew you in from the first chapter and there were plenty of plot twists that had the reader guessing what was coming next.

It is essentially a story of a culture, a culture which I dont have a lot of experience or knowledge in but everything was explained, so my lack of knowledge of Indian culture wasn't a drawback. I read this book in about four sittings, it is by no means a long book but some of the chapters do go on for a bit longer than nessecary in my opinion.

Two slight observations, I felt there were too many characters in the book, too many who didn't really have a role to play but were in some senses integral to the story, it was a bit much for me to try and keep all of these characters names in my head as to who they were and what their relationship was to the other characters, nevertheless it didn't overly detract from my enjoyment of the book.

The second observation is that this book is part of a series of books, I haven't read the first few books and so am missing some of the backstory to the characters, sometimes it felt like I was missing something important but it did make me want to go away and read the rest of the books.

All in all i would recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Peter Robinson, Ian Rankin or that ilk, I dont think you will be disappointed.
Body in the Snow is another excellent read in the DCI Craig Gillard crime thriller series.
On a snowy day a body of an Asian woman is found in a local park. She is head of an extremely successful company selling spices and food. Due to Indian tradition males only are deemed fit to head businesses, females expected to take a back seat.
There are plenty of suspects within the family, gradually most are cleared of any involvement but this story just gets better and better as the investigation continues. With lots of twists and turns, packed with an abundance of great characters this is a cracking read, plus I really hadn’t worked out whodunnit so it was a complete surprise at the reveal!
A gripping read, with Gillard also having a tough time in his personal life with an anxious pregnant wife who has previously had a miscarriage and his foul Aunt still living across the road causing trouble, I fear there is more sheer awfulness to come from this character.
I can’t wait for the next, in particular due to what was alluded to in the final paragraph. Well done, brilliant!
My thanks to net galley and publisher for the opportunity to review this book honestly
This is the fourth novel in the DCI Craig Gillard series. Prepare to enter a world of curries, exotic spices, arranged marriages and where sons are preferred over daughters. DCI Gillard has to deal with all this when Tanvi Roy, a successful Hindi woman, boss of the Empire of Spice is bludgeoned in the snow. A tense and gripping read and provides a great insight into the Hindu family life.
Well written as always, Nick Louth does not disappoint, I love all his novels! Good police procedurals and a great storyline. Although 4th in the series, all novels are stand alone. Recommended reading.
An easy, enjoyable read.  The story had plenty of plot twists and the characters were well developed.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title.  #TheBodyintheSnow #NetGalley
You never know how far the reach is of criminal mind!   Excellent story line,  how family secrets will unfold,  Just the kind of book to remove you from everyday stress,  to on edge of seat read!
What a good book. Lots of twists and turns and you are left guessing as to who did it. There are also a number of red herrings just to add some variety. Great book
I love this series of books, and this instalment did not disappoint one iota.   An excellent who dun it,combined with family problems for both the Gillards and the victim’s family.   Loved it.   Hope there is another instalment
The fourth, and best so far, in the DCI Gillard series. This time he is on the trail to find the murderer of a high flying Indian matriarch of a food and spice company, whose death starts off as mysterious but then becomes a rather bizarre murder. She ruled her family in almost completely Hindu fashion as determined by her late husband - the girls are irrelevant, the son all important (but they all benefit from the wealth he created, just not necessarily how he meant them to). They all have issues and things to hide, of course. There are detailed descriptions of traditional Hindu life and you can feel the conflicts through living in modern Britain at times. Business and finance deals abound all adding to the mystery,  The novel focuses very much on the murder with little, but enough, dealing with Gillard's family issues. His wife Sam is pregnant again and starting to feel vulnerable/getting less tolerant with an ever increasingly absent husband as the case takes over. The ghastly Aunt Trish of previous stories remains but, fortunately, as an annoyance rather than a key part. Phew, but I guess she might come to the fore again in the future; fingers crossed not! Gillard's team work as well together as ever - his reliable second in command Claire, the somewhat work shy Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the forensics team. The research behind the story is as detailed and comprehensive as ever making it a joy to read despite a few rather gory bits.  Roll on the next one Mr Louth, please.Thanks to NetGalley and Canelo for an advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is a gripping read. Not only is there an exceedingly well crafted story,it is impressively researched. The context of the Indian family and its influence on its members' behaviour is fascinating. Being a Louth novel, the detailed knowledge of investigation procedures is important to the tale. The story keeps having unexpected twists after the initial assumption that all is solved. It is hard to guess who is the culprit as the obvious candidates are ruled out. The end is a race for time,carrying the reader along with the action. If you want a story designed to hold your attention,this is it.
Indian cuisine magnate Mrs Roy is found dead in the snow by trainee CSI Kirsty on the day before she starts her job.

DCI Gillard uncovers an extremely complex set of relationships in the course of his investigations. Those with the greatest motive had the least opportunity to commit the crime, and those who appear to be lacking in alibis had the least reason to kill.
THE BODY IN THE SNOW is #4 in Nick Louth's intriguing British police procedural DCI Craig Gillard Series. A brand-new CSI tech discovers a killing while Sunday jogging, opening a consequent investigation that kept me puzzled throughout. A seemingly random on-the-spot murder of a well-known Indian business entrepreneur, but also a health situation that may have been either accidental or planned. Accompanying the mystery and its investigation is a fascinating examination of traditional Hindu culture and its assimilation into contemporary British society.
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Canelo for the ARC.
Another really good story from Nick Louth - #4 in the DCI Craig Gillard series.

Craig is called to attend the scene of a murder early on a Sunday morning in a local park.  Tanvi Roy, a wealthy business woman, was attacked by a hooded cyclist whilst she was walking her dog.  Kirsty Mockett, due to start working with Surrey Police as a trainee CSI, was first on the scene and valiantly tried to preserve the area, ready for the police to arrive, amidst the now-thawing snow.
As the investigation gets underway we are taken into the worlds of Indian culture and traditions, inheritance, shareholdings and arranged marriages. Who, and why, would someone want Tanvi dead?  The 2 daughters had very minor shareholdings and each have their own businesses whereas their brother Harry was finance director of the business and largest shareholder.  Their father, having died previously had made strict stipulations in his Will and Harry is looking at an arranged marriage into another extremely wealthy family - but can he let go of his relationship with Morag, the operations manager?
Craig and his team have to navigate their way through the red-herrings which the family members keep throwing at them to get to the truth, but the DCI.is very observant and small details throw the investigation into another direction.  The Serious Fraud Office become involved and the original heroine of the day, Kirsty, has a secret to reveal.

This story is really well plotted; I like all the main characters and the everyday-believable dialogue of a police procedural.  The epilogue rounds off everything nicely.
A really good read.
One of the best reads for a long time! An intriguing story with lots of twists and turns keeping the reader guessing almost to the end. A guaranteed page turner, a must read for all crime reading enthusiasts.