The Body in the Snow

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

DCI Craig Gillard is on call when the head of an Indian Food and Spice Company is found dead . He arrives to find Mrs Roy of Empire of Spice( an International food company) bludgeoned to death in the snow with her dog guarding her body. Is this a common mugging or does it go deeper. As the investigation deepens a number of issues arise between Mrs Roy's family and the Police with a number of twists leading the Police away f4om the identity of the murderer.
Another good read by Nick Louth enjoyable and not revealing the true identity of the murderer until the end.
5 stars

This book is extremely well written and plotted. It is a detailed telling of a police investigation into the beating death of an elderly woman named Tanvi Roy. She was a businesswoman and in control of a large food industry and appeared on many cooking shows.

The investigation is not without its problems and difficulties. A suspected is arrested, but when some evidence turns up tainted, the suspect's guilt is in question. Is the family involved? Mrs. Roy had ongoing and suspicious health problems. Did they play a part in her death?

Since the business was a family business, there are jealousies and rivalries that play into the police's considerations. While the family seems so bereft, DCI Craig Gillard is not sure that he is buying it.

A couple of detectives who tend to shirk their duties add to the problems. Gillard must keep on top of them.

This is a very good story and a sterling example of a police procedural. It detailed all the things the police must consider when looking for a killer. The book covered the tedious, the painstaking and the occasional excitement of an investigation. I liked DCI Gillard and (most of) his team. Gillard was intelligent and quick to admit his own mistakes. The team seemed to be competent and hard working. I was a little put off by Gillard's wife's jealousy. It was jarring in the middle of such a good story. Strait away I went to Amazon to look at his other Craig Gillard books.

I want to thank NetGalley and Canelo for forwarding to me a copy of this great book for me to read, enjoy and review.
Pretty good premise that was new for me and I really enjoyed the business wheeling and dealing elements.

I had thought that perhaps this was a first novel as I found the dialogue a little clunky and the characterisation shallow.  The ending was all quite Agatha Christie with loose ends all being neatly tied off. Nonetheless, I read to with enjoyment and I will , most likely, read the next in the series
A young police officer is out for a jog when she sees a murder. And so enters DCI Craig Gillard. He discovers the victim is Tanvi Roy, one of the wealthiest women in England and owner of a food company. Trying to sort out a web of secrets and business issues will be a challenge to get to the bottom of the murder and bring a criminal to justice. You really have to suspend disbelief when you read this because the behavior of the characters resembles nothing like real life. I can't imagine DCI Gillard would still have a job after some of the things he does and honestly I didn't find him very appealing. The word unputdownable was used to describe this but I struggled to finish it. It wasn't bad but some of the things that happen in the story were distractingly unbelievable. Thank you NetGalley for the advanced readers copy for review.
Reaching for a jar of lime pickle will never be the same again after reading The Body in the Snow by Nick Louth. It’s a novel woven around intrigue, jealousy, sexuality, money and lines of succession within a highly successful family business specialising in all things spicy. Oh and did I mention murder most foul?

DCI Craig Gillard battles hard to make progress in the case with ever increasing pressure from his boss Chief Constable Alison Rigby. At six foot two inches tall she cuts an imposing figure made more scary by her pale blue eyes which bore in to your very soul.

Mind you, Gillard takes leave of his senses when along with DC Michelle Tsu they tuck in to homemade chocolate brownies at the home of a woman suspected of poisoning. Furthermore, he did not exercise professional judgement over a CSI with a pretty face! I guess we all have flaws.

Great pace, intrigue and action makes this an excellent novel in the DCI Craig Gillard series.