Cover Image: The Girl Who Cheated Death

The Girl Who Cheated Death

If you were on the cusp of adulthood, and could see death, how would you react. This is how the entire book goes. What would you sacrifice for normalcy? Or for those you love? I'm not a fan of time jumps in stories, but this webs it all into more of what would happen if alternative realities.
Love wins in the end, even over death I felt. But, was death really the enemy? It seemed as surprised she could see it.
I really wanted to like this book, but I felt the author was lacking passion and interest in the writing. I read several chapters in a row but couldn't keep going. The story is interesting, though, but it's not the kind of style I enjoy.
‘She cheated death once. To bring her family back to life, she'll have to do it again.’

THE GIRL WHO CHEATED DEATH, the first book that I have read by Alan Baker, is a Supernatural Thriller wherein eighteen-year-old Alexandria Drummond's life is changed forever after a horrific car accident […]Alex watches as the Angel of Death, Azrael, takes the souls of her family and now it's haunting her.

This book thoroughly creeped me out, broke my heart, and brought me to tears more than once.

Admittedly, in the beginning, to me, Alex isn't a very likable character, but as the story progresses, you start to empathize with what she's going through.

The first half of the novel keeps you guessing, constantly wondering what's going to happen next. Unfortunately, the second half doesn't feel amped up anymore and slows down the pacing a bit, but that didn't prevent me from eagerly wanting to know how the novel ends – My Heart!

Thank you, NetGalley and Baker Venture Group Publishing, LLC, for loaning me an eBook of THE GIRL WHO CHEATED DEATH in exchange for an honest review.
was a good read was different than expected but definitely in a good way! would recommend it to fellow ya lovers!
I had a hard time with this book.  Maybe I wasn’t the right audience for it. The first half of the book was good it sucked me in but then it just went sideways. It seemed jumpy at times and I had a hard time following what was going on. I had no emotions towards any of the characters it just wasn’t for me.
This book was a page turner and kept me involved up until the end where everything fell apart. Such a shame because the author had the chance to create a well written, engrossing story with a satisfying ending. Why he went the direction he did is a mystery andtakes away from everything that went before.
1 STAR

"A horrific accident introduces a frightening supernatural presence into a young woman’s life, altering both her past and future."

Unfortunately, this book did not work out for me. I was very intrigued by the plot description but it eventually fell flat for me. I found it hard to follow and struggled to finish it. I think my struggles with this book were mostly due to not feeling sympathetic for Alex and her struggles. I just don't think that I was the correct target audience for this read.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for my ARC copy.
What a great book thank you for the opportunity to read.

could not put this down, had no expectations but was blown away really enjoyed and would recommend
Most of the book was a 'page turner' drawing the reader in and creating a desire to know what was going to happen next. There are several spots where the writer (& the reader) get lost. I'm thinking better editing could fix that.
Secondly the ending was to me very unsatisfing. Loved the creative epilogue but believe Mr. Baker, with a little more effort, could have given Alex a much better send off. Anticlimactic is the word that comes to mind. Maybe the ending was by design and the reader is supposed to fill in the blanks. If this is the case I'd rate the book a 2. As it stands I'm angry I invested my time and emotional energy to get to the poor conclusion.
I have so many feelings about this book!

I had no idea what to expect but, for the most part, I really enjoyed The Girl Who Cheated Death. This book was spooky and atmospheric, mysterious and creepy, all the best things when it comes to horror. I have no idea what I would do if I were in Alex's shoes, being able to see the things that she sees. The Girl Who Cheated Death makes us really examine death from a fascinating if not almost tragic lens, but- this didn't turn me off, in the slightest. If anything it only deepens the creep-factor throughout the story.

My only complaint is that I feel that the story could've been tighter overall. The plot would meander occasionally or the characters (or reader) would get lost and have to backtrack. But even these moments were few and I enjoyed my read through of this new debut.

Thanks so much to Netgalley for my copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
I enjoyed this book. It was an intriguing idea - that after surviving a car accident that took the lives of the rest of her family that Alex would be able to see Azriel, the angel of death. The story describes the events after this moment and how Alex tries to change events so that things in the future (and past) can change. Through it all she enlists the help of her school friends - best friend Kate and old friend Carl.

I enjoyed how the story generally enfolded and was interested in the central premise, although I found some of the action slightly teenage-oriented.
The Girl Who Cheated Death, reminded me of the movie The Butterfly Effect. In the story Alex is tormented by the Angel of Death after she survives a crash which kills her family. The story was captivating and kept me reading until the end with unexpected twists. There were so many twists and unexpected things that the book kept you on the edge of your seat. Not to the readers:  there were some mature content of the sexual nature and some violence. This book should not be read by immature readers just for this reason.

I would like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Because it is an unfinished copy, there were some print issues to be aware of. The first chapters are missing a few sentences and The TH is omitted from the beginning of words that begins with it.
The Girl Who Cheated Death by Alan Baker is a thriller which is very intriguing. The story is about a happy teenager, Alexandra who suddenly loses her family in an accident while she the lone survivor.

Alex starts questioning her own sanity when she sees a strange figure who goes around capturing souls from dying people. Nobody believes her story but finally she finds her friend Carl and Dr. Khan on her side. The frequent encounters from the Angel of Death Azrael scare her to death. Alex travels back in time when she accidentally changes an event in future. Eventually, she figures the reason behind the visits of Azrael.

Alex decides to bring her family back by changing an event in future. The story is a little complicated. The theory of Newcomb's paradox is applied in the story.

I enjoyed the story. I received the book's free copy in return for a review from #NetGalley. Thanks to #BooksGoSocial for sharing this book with me. The story, the female lead, the paranormal side and the suspense are a huge plus to this story.
I just could not get into this book, the protagonist's voice would not allow me to lose myself in the story. The premise seems so intriguing but the inner monologue was too annoying.
I found this story to be an emotional roller coaster for me. Many times, I felt I related to Alex and her story. I cried many times while reading it and I must say that It often felt that her story was my story. That her joys and pains were mine as well. It was often a tough text to read as I have myself suffered great loss in my life barely a few months shy of four years ago. So yeah, for me that loss happened a short time ago so it was easy to feel the main character's loss.
Alex will discover many things in her short 18th year of her existance. She looses her family - her mother, father and baby sister - to a terrible car crash, but what she finds out after the crash will change her life forever.
Azrael, the angel of death, comes around like he has countless times in humanity, but this time, his work leaves a witness, one that he cannot accept is there.
For most of the story, we see Alex's task to find the truth, to save her family, and she finds the truth about what really is time travel and how she can twart the plans of the angel of death.
This book is written in the first person point of view, and it is written in Alex's point of view. Through it all, we go through with her the loss, the pain, the fear, the uncertainty. We also find out that what we might think is the truth, might not quite be the case.
Yes, Alex is the girl who cheated death, but at what cost?
This book follows Alex Drummond, a teenage girl and sole survivor of a terrible car wreck which killed her family. Now, she’s being chased by the angel of death. With the help of her friends, Alex begins to fight back, determined to defeat death.

Alex blames herself for the death of her family, since they were in the car because of her actions earlier that fateful day. She must battle her own feelings of guilt and grief, while simultaneously racing from Azrael, the angel of death. This book contains many religious themes and threads, which I didn’t mind. The religious element isn’t aggressive or “shoved down” anyone’s throat. Instead, it asks big questions and explores the answers in unique and unusual ways.

I found the tension to be a gradual and organic build throughout the plot. Some might find it a bit slow, but if it moved quicker, the character development would have felt forced. As is, Alex’s character arc develops in a believable fashion as her emotions tumble through the stages of grief. She proves to be a strong, dynamic young woman whose courage grows exponentially throughout.

I will note that the sexual assault scene happens in Act One, at a party Alex attends. The young man she’s with takes advantage of her, not rape, but still triggering. I mention this because while I typically pass on books containing this trigger, I would suggest anyone who might be affected to still give this book a chance because it’s such a powerful read, but to be aware of where the scene is in the book if they wish to avoid the details.

By the end, I was tearing up. There are a few moments where the believably of the character’s actions come into question, but I’m not to worried about that. It didn’t end as I predicted, or hoped, but it’s fitting to the themes of the books and ultimately, very satisfying. Please, give it a try!
I would like to start by saying that this is an enjoyable read. The Girl Who Cheated Death has the genre and plot line that will keep you wanting to read until you have all the pieces of the puzzle. However, this book did not meet my expectations. Here's an overview of the plot.

The plot: The book has a good beginning as it starts to lay out its characters and the author does a great job in painting a picture for the reader. A fourth of the way into the book, the incident occurs and you begin to see the character development in the aftermath. It is at this point where the characters' feelings and actions begin to feel unrealistic to me.  This is also where I begin to see some of my questions left unanswered. During her time at the hospital, Alex has episodes in which she says horrible truths to people, something that she does not recall doing. My problem with this is that her uncle's "truth" was not explored further like the author did with the other character. About halfway through the book, the plot finally thickens and you begin to understand the type of supernatural aspect this book takes on. I found the phenomena used to be quite interesting and liked that the author took the time to explain it. However, after this point, it was evident as to how the book was going to end. It found this half to be more rushed than the first and leaving me with more questions than answers. It is also during this half that more supernatural experiences occur. I will give the author a solid 4 stars on the spook factor.  The ending as mentioned before, was predictable, which left me feeling unfazed by this book.

With that, I give this book a solid 3 stars for keeping me interested and spooked enough to finish it, but not enough to go out of my way to ever read it again.
The girl who cheated Death
By Alan Baker

I wasn't sure if I should do a review of this book. I'm not sure if the copy I received was a first draft or just an unedited copy. There were many typos and a few (untranslated?) lines at the beginning of a few chapters... I would suggest having an editor go over it.
  The mistakes made reading the book difficult at times but didn't interfere with my understanding of the story so I have decided to go ahead with my review.

These are my absolute favorite kind of story. With supernatural beings mingling among us normal folks trying to fit in or trying to cause trouble...The possibilities are endless.
  I'm going to start by telling you that I give this book 3 stars. Mostly because of the typos.
  The story is about a young girl who lost her family in a car crash. As the only survivor of the crash she begins to experience strange things and you never really know if she is suffering from post-traumatic stress or if she is being haunted by death.

I wasn't sure I liked the story at all, in the beginning, a couple times I almost stopped reading it. Many parts were well written, most of the book actually but there some parts that seemed almost juvenile... I think it's perfectly reasonable for Alex to be pissed off at her best friend Kate for dating the boy who tried to rape her and to end the friendship over it. The story made it seem she needed to forgive her for it. Which I didn't like at all.
  I couldn't find a clear physical description of Alex, I scanned through a second time looking for one and couldn't find it.
  Alex herself was a wishy-washy character with no real personality of her own. I understand the circumstances would cause self-doubt But she wavered back and forth so often it made her seem unrealistic to me. It was the same with Dr. Zahn, one minute he believed her the next he didn't. There was no real reason given for why Alex could see Azreal. Head injury…?

Then the twist happened…. (two actually. Another one later in the book.)   And I loved it! It was unexpected and changed my opinion of the story altogether!  From that point on I enjoyed the book. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next...
 The end was good. It tied up the loose ends, Revealed the results of Alex’s action as well as the consequences.
  While it isn't at the top of my list for reading, I would recommend this book to people who enjoy this genre.
Good book, i enjoyed it.

I love how the story was getting really good from the start.

Thank you NetGalley for this arc.
The rise of supernatural fiction that portrays angels as, not fluffy and kind, but as the instruments of god they were meant to be is quite good right now, so Ihave to admit, I was expecting a lot from this book. I'm a huge Supernatural/Lucifer fan, and read a lot of supernatural novels in general, so this book had a pretty high bar to meet.  ANd it sorta did.
Firstly, the story centres around a young woman, Alex, who at 18, is the sole survivor and 'witness' to the death of the rest of her family in a car crash. I say 'witness' becuase she saw their souls being taken by Azarael,   Who then proceeds to 'haunt' her.
There was a lot of promise in this book, and I did feel a bit cheated by the ending, if I'm honest, but it was a solid read.
Thank you to Netgalley and BooksgoSocial for a copy of the book in exchange for a review.
3.75 stars