THE LIAR

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Dec 2019

Review for 'The Liar' by Jane Adams. Possible spoiler alert

Read and reviewed via NetGalley

This books if the fourth book in the 'Mike Croft' series which I didn't realise when I started reading it and can be easily read as a standalone.

The storyline is set in the UK and begins with one dead body followed by more. I found one of the main characters quite drab and boring but some of the others were quite strong. The descriptions were good and I could easily picture the areas.

During the book there is some mystery and suspense. I found there were a few too many characters and storylines going on which confused me at times. In total I think there were 3 storylines in the one book

(possible spoiler: none of which ended up linking together, which didn't seem to make sense).

I was disappointed by the end which seemed quite rushed and left a lot of loose ends and questions unanswered which is a big NO for me in a bid unless it's left on a cliffhanger which it is then to be expected but this was not.

In summary the book was OK although pretty average and I didn't like the ending. If I would recommend to anyone it would be of fans of crime and murder.
Rated 3/5 on Goodreads and Amazon (It was OK)

Free on kindle unlimited or 99p to buy on kindle

Feel free to add me on Goodreads for more reviews

#TheLiar #NetGalley
I really tried to get into this book. I kept going back to it but unfortunately it was a struggle too far and I had to admit defeat. I couldn't relate to any of the characters and I really prefer something a little faster paced. In the end I had to put it aside unfinished. Sorry
Thank you to Netgalley for this advanced reader's copy. Thrilling story that kept me engaged. I hadn't realised that this book was part of a series but will definitely read the first three.
The fourth book in the thrilling series did not disappoint.  With all the twists and turns will have you on a roller coaster of emotion .
This murder hits close to home for DI Croft.  Investigating the murder of a woman of many names and personalities, Mike finds his friend may have been targeted by a con artist.  As the detective team follows the clues, the prime suspect changes too often to keep up.  Who was this woman that she had so many enemies?  A good read that will give your brain a workout as you try to figure out who done it.
I found the novel quite confusing, a bit disjointed and somewhat rushed.  Unfortunately, I did not finish it as the narrative did not hold my attention.  Fans of the previous novels in this series will enjoy it.
DETECTIVE INSPECTOR MIKE CROFT RETURNS TO THE GREENWAY TO FACE HIS MOST PERSONAL CASE YET
A WOMAN IS FOUND STABBED THROUGH THE HEART.
A dry, hot summer on the Norfolk coast. Former police detective John Tynan falls in love for the first time since his wife died. Then the woman, Martha Toolin, is murdered. But everything he thought he knew about Martha was a lie.
Detective Mike Croft is called in to investigate. John is one of Mike’s oldest friends. The murder brings back memories of their most traumatic case.
THE HUNT IS ON.
Martha was a stranger to the area and was seen arguing that day with a teenage boy. He becomes the number one suspect. But it turns out she was a con artist who exploited the vulnerable and elderly. Even her name is false.
SHE IS A LIAR.
The number of people who might have wanted her dead multiplies. Who was she and what did she want with John Tynan?
A MURDER MYSTERY AND SO MUCH MORE.
And then another body is found on the beach . . .

This is a wonderful addition to this thrilling series!
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with that adds so much to the story.
Such a thrilling read that I couldn't put it down.
Can't wait to read more of these.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
This is the fourth crime thriller featuring DI Mike Croft and the second one that I have read. It's definitely convoluted and a very detailed police procedural that seems to drag in places but the excellent writing saves it.

A woman is murdered inside the Two Bells B&B and DI Croft and his team are on the case. The problem is that the dead lady is known by several other names. She had befriended John Tynan, a friend of the Crofts, and was ostensibly looking into their supposed  family genealogy when she was killed. So who is Martha Toolin and what was she doing in Norwich? There are loads of potential suspects and then there is the appearance of the black dog...NO SPOILERS

This was good, but seemed rather longish. The story wasn't as compelling as the previous installment, but I tried to read it in a single sitting in order to make sense of all the plot details. The ending came as no great surprise, but the police procedural minutiae is quite extensive and the reader can feel the net tightening. The narrative is fairly straight forward and I do like tha main characters even as you don't find out too much about the personally as they are so involved with the investigation. It's been 10 years since the last book (case) and much has changed in the life of DI Croft, but that's not the focal point -- I'd like more of his personal life please.

I did enjoy the book and will look for another in this series, hopefully before too much time has passed. Thank you to NetGalley and Joffe Books for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.
Family drama and mystery all in one good book.  I enjoyed the ride thru time and trying to figure out the pieces as I went.  A slightly abrupt ending but overall a good read.
Spectacular ! I truly Enjoyed every page! Looking forward to reading more books by this talented author!
This is the first book of the series I had read, but I will defintely be going back to read the other3! Det Croft is a great character, and this book is able to be read as a standalone, giving you great insight into his methoods, by references to his past cases. very much a closed room type mystery, as the case progresses the team gets more and more suspects, but no leads to what realy happened to Tomlin. Even as the case snakes too close to home, Mike and his team push on, to the surprise ending! Don't miss this one!
I liked the supernatural element in this story, and enjoyed the mystery. Read quickly in one sitting.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
I read 65% of this book, but as I kept grabbing other books to read without having finished this one, I decided it was just too much work for me.

It was the first Mike Croft book I have read and maybe the last. The story was okay, but I didn't love any of the characters and the mystic dog was just a strange addition. People were killed and people had lied, but to be honest I didn't care enough to find out who had done it and why.

So not a bad story, just not keeping my attention and with literally hundreds of other books that I want to read, this story is just not worth my time.
A tricky tale of family secrets and lies. Loads of suspects in this police thriller,with motivation to kill. A local legend/ghost story stirs the pot.
THE LIAR by Jane Adams has more twists and turns than a luge track and while the ride it gives is readers may not be as heart-stopping as a ride down the aforementioned track it is nonetheless a complex and tantalizing read. Adams is a skillful storyteller who creates believable, relatable characters.

I love a good psychological mystery and this one involving Detective Mike Croft and his friend John Tynan is one that will exercise the reader’s grey matter.  John had been seeing Martha Toolin and become quite smitten with her.  Now Martha’s been murdered and it appears that her entire life has been built upon a foundation of lies. Martha was in reality a con artist who used her talents as well as a variety of identities to exploit the weak and susceptible, leaving a trail of victims large enough to fill a telephone book and the police with more than enough potential suspects.

Adams writes with keen perception and clarity throughout, not just of deception and murder but of grief, old wounds, and of dark and grief-plagued lives with secrets hidden just beneath the surface

Readers will eagerly turn the pages of this compelling and clever narrative all the way to its surprising conclusion.
I was given this book by NetGalley for an honest review -
John, alone since his wife died falls in love with Martha.  And then she is murdered.
So many lies are discovered about Martha as the investigation begins.  Did John really know Martha?  What is the truth.  And as it continues more people have a reason for the murder - but what is shocking is who really murdered Martha!
This is book 4 in the Mike Croft series but they do work well as stand alone.

I have read all the books in this series so I feel I have got to know Mike quite well.  He comes accross as being a little insecure he lost his 10 year old son and his marriage fell apart.  He is now happily married to Maria but they were never blessed with children.  In this story Mike is plagued by dreams that included his son.  What do they mean?  Do they have a bearing on the current case?  These are questions he is looking for the answer to.

His partner of choice is Jude she has a knack of knowing the right way to approach people which Mike is lacking so they make a very effective team.

John, a retired detective takes a major part in this book as his past comes back to haunt him.

The story is intriguing it is not the fast paced adrenaline pumping type of thriller but a solid gripping detective story full of twists and turns.  There are many secrets to uncover and the ending is quite a shock.

There were many stories all interlinked to make up the main story with betrayal, blackmail, fraud and the issues that affected unmarried mothers way back in time that all feed in to the main story.  I kept turning page after page wanting to know what other secrets were to be revealed before Mike and his team were able to join the dots.

I didn't really work out what the big black dog brought to the story but it didn't affect my enjoyment so very happy to award the full 5 stars.
All the characters in this book seemed to have their own secrets. This is a good series of books by Jane Adams featuring Detective Mike Croft. The Liar has a touch of the supernatural, a murdered woman, plenty suspense and a few loose ends. Overall, a good book, well written but a rushed ending. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
I really struggled with this book, was way too slow and none of hte characters felt fully developed, i was interested in the story but it dragged and not sure why the side story about the black dog
Another fantastic story from Jane Adams. D I Mike Croft at his best, even when his friend ex D I John  Tynan is indirectly involved! The murdered woman,  involved with John proves to be a liar in all of her previous years and it is up to Mike to fathom it all out! A terrific storyline, full of twists and turns to the end!