Running

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Aug 2020

This is the YA I want my little sister and nieces to read. The YA I wish I would have had when I was younger. We follow so much character development with a girl who has been coached by her father to support his dreams at the cost of her own mind. Seeing Mariana find her voice and fight for a cause she truly believes in was so inspiring. Definitely read this and come to make Mari your friend and your inspiration.
I really enjoyed this story of a girl waking up to politics through the lens of figuring out that she and her father (who is running for president) do not believe the same things. It did a masterful job of weaving together the common teen experience of separating yourself from your parents and their beliefs with the heightened experience Mari has with her dad running for president.

The side characters, Jackie, Didier, and Crissy were great as were Gloria and Amarys. Highly recommend especially for teens feels the desire to be more politically active as they reach voting age.
I loved this. With my whole heart. There is so much in this book that's so very very valuable, that I honestly don't really know where to start so let me try.

I didn't always connected with Mari, but her story did resonate with me and the relationship with her dad feels so incredibly real. It was a bold move to write this story and I love that about it. Also bc it really works out in such an ambigue way that makes it great.

It was well written, had some very strong points and Sylvester just nailed it. She nailed it. Yeah, she touched so much in such an important story that makes you believe again in a future that can be ours, without being patronizing.

Really, just read it, bc it is so so so so so worth it!
This was a really great read! I really enjoyed reading this book, would definitely recommend. This is a good book for all ages.
I think books featuring diverse characters, politics, or activism are so important for young readers. So many of my students think that they shouldn't care because they aren't old enough to vote or make a difference; this is a great story to encourage those young voices still. Highly recommend.
I really enjoyed the dialogues and especially the translations in this book. Some slang just can’t be translated. 🙂 In many ways this dichotomy was reflected in families not communicating and how in politics what is said isn’t exactly what is meant. The author made the characters and situations very real and honest. I appreciated not wrapping the book up in a neat bow. Life is messy. Politics is messy. Families are messy.
The second story line centers around the environment. How all of our actions have consequences in the environment. It really makes you think.
A wonderful story of activism, finding your voice, and using it to make a change. YA as a genre needs more books like this, powerful books that readers will love.
Running is an incredible story that showcases many of the themes which will draw in YA readers: friendship, finding your voice, family, and political activism. Particularly in an election year, this book will be incredibly important for students looking for ways to get involved in decision making. Natalia Sylvester presents a real and nuanced main character whose family and experiences never fall into caricature. Highly recommend this great book.
Mari is like any 15 year old girl.  She wants to fit in at school, to be a good daughter and to be able to express herself.  Unfortunately, her father is running for president.  She cannot have an online presence, which is practically unheard of these days.  She has to dress and act a certain way.  Worst if all, she gas to expose herself to her fathers constituents.
Her dad wants to be a good father.  He also wants Mari to let the whole country come into their home in a televised interview.  More embarrassing is that he wants to let the world, and mire importantly her high school, see her personal bedroom.
The day of the interview, Mari breaks down and ends up running, not away, but to a friends house to chill and gain her bearings.  When one of dads staffers panics and lets out she is missing, things go haywire.
From that point on, there is conflict between Mari and dad.  She wants to fix it but feels that she shouldn’t cave in to what’s he wants when it crumpled her.  Mari finds her voice by the end but she must go through so much.
This is a great story that allows you to live vicariously through a politicians daughters life.  Mari goes through her ups and downs but finds herself in the end.  I love the struggles she experiences with friends, family and the world at large.
Ma. Sylvester, I look forward to reading more from you!