Cover Image: Join or Die

Join or Die

I enjoyed the idea of this book but for me I was not capturing the whole thing, maybe? I was hoping for more from this book.  Alex Ayers is not an ordinary boy.  I was thinking Percy Jackson or something when I first look at this book and read the brief tidbit about the book.  I guess it was just not the right book for me in the end. "This book was given to me for free at my request from Netgalley and I provided this voluntary review."
I know what you're thinking...
Ugh. Another fanbtasy series in a secluded private school?
This was freaking awesome!
Only issue I have is now I have to wait for the rest of the series to be written & published 😭
I hate waiting.
Much love to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for my DRC.
I received a #ebook copy via #netgalley. I read the first 3 chapters and my internet went non existant so I will be attempting in the future days or months to come.  From what I did read I will definitely be enjoying this title.
Alex Ayers life changes in an instant.  One minute hes a an average kid, hanging out with his best mate, the next he is taken off by a stranger to Fios Academy to find out who or what he is.
Its a great, fast paced story which never lets up, but keeps you wanting more.  Alex has a bit of an attitude, but then that is typical of most adolescent boys
This should appeal to both young adults and adults alike.  Im looking forward to the rest of the series
I really enjoyed this fun journey into a world of monsters! Alex is a good lead - thrown in the deep end, he does sometime acclimatise quickly, but overall I found his arc believable. And I loved his friends, the overlap of his old life and his new one was quite well done, and felt realistic. Plus I loved that he and his mum had friends who appeared to treat them as family.

My favourite part was the scavenger hunt, that sounded like fun! And the lessons we get to see glimpses of were pretty interesting. In fact that probably my only real complaint - the book sort of whizzes through bits, so we get a lot up front that worked well, and then suddenly time is flying by and then the end of the year / book has arrived. That part was a little dissatisfying if I’m honest, as I wanted a little more world building around the types of creatures, their hierarchies, the scion, the ciorcals etc. In places Alex seemed to suddenly understand more without us going through that process with him.

But overall, the sense of fun and the concept sold the book for me, and I will definitely be looking out for book two.
Alex comes home one day to find a strange guy in his living room. He claims to be his uncle and that he has to take him to a faraway magical school.

Living with just his mother, ever since dad left, he is not all that eager to jump in. But he doesn't have that much choice.

It a huge shook that he has to leave all that he knows and go to a new, strange place. It doesn’t get that much easier when he arrives at the school, especially arriving blind, not knowing this strange new world, how it works and where exactly does he fit in.

He makes friends fast and with their help bravely takes on a new role.

I love the world and the mythology of it. It’s very well developed and very interesting. My favorite part was a scavenger hunt, magic puts a whole another spin on it. :)

It’s a very good story and can’t wait till the next one.
This book was okay - I had fun reading the story; the characters were enjoyable and the plot was easy to follow. I do think that the writing was a little over the top at times. I also had a hard time personally connecting with the characters, which is what made the book a bit less enjoyable for me as a reader. If this is a genre you typically enjoy, you will probably enjoy this book.
I was so excited to pick up another book in this genre and this one did not disappoint! The story is creative, the writing is great, and the characters are relatable, even with their supernatural statuses. Can’t wait to read the next book in the series!
I absolutely love fantasy stories and especially the ones like this book, where people find out, they are not only human as expected. This book is a fun read, when we discover together with Alex, how different he really is. And then the school – we all love school setting, not only because of Harry Potter.

Alex is a great character and fun to read, bit sarcastic as I like. The plot offers action and fun the same time and surprises are guaranteed. The friends he find in school are as unique as he is and they are so much fun as well. Diverse and still so matching. That I especially liked about this group.

The book is full of magic and dragons, great characters and lots of surprises – a big recommendation for all lovers of fun fantasy books.
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to book two
Alex has found out he is not quite human and is off to live at Fois academy where he embarks on a whole new life of discovery
The book is easy to read I did it in 2 days the characters are likable and the story morish
I did get a bit frustrated at parts where back story I felt was half explained at took a while to enlighten us on what was going on but I guess that is as much my impatiance
All in all a really good read
A fun YA book, fans of His Dark Materials will enjoy this (I think!). It was a good read but I'm not 100% sure that i will continue on in the series.
Listed as YA, this book is really for everyone who enjoys an entertaining story of how quickly lives can change when truths come out.  A young man learns that his life is not what he thought it was and his future plans have now entered the fantastical.  Coming of age is difficult enough without learning that your destiny is not within your control.  How this young man faces these changes and grows into that destiny is a wonderful story that will make you laugh and cry and keep you reading "just one more chapter".
This was a super fun YA read with the lovable and cute Alex as the main character. Persevere through the start of the book despite being barraged by information. This will all help to make sense of the rest of the book. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for the arc.
Join or Die was a pretty good book. I mean, it doesn't hurt that Alex was completely adorable throughout it. However, I will admit that the beginning was a lot to take it. Lots of information was being dumped onto my lap and it took me a while to get into the book. Alex was definitely thrown into a new world rather quickly. Kind of like Percy Jackson? I will admit that the book definitely picked up after that though.
My rating is 4/5 stars.
II received this ARC book from Netgalley for honest Review.

What a great thrill and suspense it was to read. What a great psychological thrill! This novel had everything in it. The thrill, the suspense, the psychological, and the twist is crazy. This novel will keep you thinking and guessing. When you think you right, well let me just say that you might be wrong. This had me all over the place. My heart beating so fast! I couldn't believe what I was reading. If had me in shock. Every page, every chapter was a page turner. I couldn't believe my eyes what I was reading. I highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. It will surprise you in every way.

The storyline was very good!
The theme and setting was well put together. The characters was well put together in the story.
This story will have in a rollercoaster with all the spooky and secrets. Was so well put in the story.
Everything all in one book.
It was just perfect!
I highly recommend everybody get this and read it.
What a great read! This had me hooked from the beginning. What a Rollercoaster! The sitting, theme, and the Characters had me pulled so in. Everything was well put together and it was just perfect. This novel would have you guess and thinking all the way to the end. What a great thrill and suspense. I love a great suspense that would have me think and guessing. This novel did just that to me. To the point that am wrong. When the ending comes am on shock. I wouldn't of never believe or guess. Like OMG!
Highly recommend everybody get this book and read it. Its so good!
Can't wait for her next book.
#netgallery
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Join or Die was a pretty good book. I mean, it doesn't hurt that Alex was completely adorable throughout it. However, I will admit that the beginning was a lot to take it. Lots of information was being dumped onto my eyes.. but I completely get it as well. Alex was definitely thrown into a new world rather quickly. Kind of like Percy Jackson?

I will admit that the book definitely picked up after that though. It really was fun to dive into but it also kind of makes me hesitate for book two. Mostly because I don't want it to fall into second book syndrome.. and I also don't want so much info dumping either. Yet, I'm intrigued and want to dive in head first.
This book is a good start to hopefully a Series I#d like to continue to read.
At first it was a little rough, seems to me Mrs Ruth had to find her voice for her characters.
But she definitely  found it and it was exciting, thrilling and spooky.
I'd like that all the kids at this school come from a long line of monsters, because we got enough heroes and wizards.

Now it's time for dragons, vampires, werewolfs and all the other creatures of the night.

I'd like to thank NetGalley for giving me the chance to read this book.
this book seemed like it would be right up my alley but it turns out it was far too long winded and YA for me. II feel my rating is my own belief of the book and for those that love the genre i bet you will enjoy this so much more. Sadly i was too bored of it and i am a bit jealous because that synopsis is epic and amazing. This didnt work for me
This was a fun, fast paced read. Alex was a cute main character, he's been through a lot since his dad abandoned his mom and him. He's a bit jaded but he's a nice guy and stands up for others which was awesome. He also doesn't judge people right off the bat and the friends he made will be even more loyal because he gave them a chance and will do anything for them.
The beginning of the book is a bit of an info dump, but Alex is being introduced to a whole new world so it fit in the context of the plot. The scavenger hunt was a fun storyline and helped bring the circle together. I enjoyed all the magical creatures we encountered in the story and it seems there are many more to come! I'm really looking forward to seeing what Alex and his friends will become after the Change.
The book follows a 14 year old boy called Alex who discovers he is half creature as his dad was a dragon shifter. Alex is set to change soon so he has to leave home and is sent to a school for the supernatural.

The main character Alex is meant to be 14 but he didn't feel 14 to me. Alex tries to be witty and some bits were funny and others just didn't work for me or were a little tiring after so many other comments. Alex also has major daddy issues and complains about his dad a lot. One thing I found to be a little unbelievable was how quickly he just accepted that he wasn't human. I don't think I would accept it that quickly. Alex is also judges people a little quickly.

I loved the amount of creatures that were added as there's so many from different cultures and mythologies which i thought was a nice touch. The characters aren't fully fleshed out but it is the first book in an series so I'm guessing the characters will develop more later on. The character friendships do develop in the book and I did like that but I wanted to know more about the characters motivations in joining Alex. The worldbuilding also felt a little confusing or it needed more building but again it's a first book so I hope there will be more in later books.

The writing was okay, it was easy to read but I felt more description could have been used in certain areas. There is a lot of cursing in this book, way more than normal and i wasn't expecting it. There's a lot of common tropes in this book with the academy, finding out your not human/normal, daddy issues and fight for the throne/leadership just to name a few which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I ended up comparing this book to other books with the same tropes. By the end there are many things left unanswered which I hope will be in future books.

Overall this is an okay fantasy that I sort of enjoyed reading but it was also similar to other books that I have read recently. I have to say if you like books with a school setting and of children with powers then this would be a great read for you.