The Clergyman's Wife

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The Clergyman’s Wife is a first-person linear narrative from the perspective of Charlotte Collins. Charlotte is the best friend of Elizabeth Bennett (now Elizabeth Darcy) from Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice; and is married to Rev William Collins – who is not only the cousin of Mr Bennett, but also the rejected suitor of Elizabeth. The author’s writing style is like a modern version of the ninetenth-century novel; not only with regards to Austin in relation to plot and wit, but the vivid description of landscape bears similarities to later nineteenth-century realist novels, in particular Hardy.

No longer is Charlotte married than she realises her new husband is a complete bore who is more interested in his prize vegetables and pleasing the pompous Lady Catherine (not at the same time, I hasten to add!) than he is in his own wife and baby daughter. In context, William isn’t a bad man, he is just typical of his generation and the author has characterised him well. If this were a contemporary novel, he would be considered a misogynistic bully when he admits he ‘married a woman who was neither too lively nor too handsome to make a suitable clergyman’s wife’; however, this isn’t directed as an insult to Charlotte, but as a compliment to himself in selecting ‘the right woman for the job’ as The Clergyman’s Wife. In contrast, Robbie Travis, the local farmer is happy to give Charlotte (and her daughter) his time and intention. The pair share joint interests (books) and it isn’t long before the unlikely pair develop an intense friendship, where illicit sexual chemistry sizzles beneath the surface.

Although it felt like something was missing from a plot perspective, this is a well-written narrative that is not only true to its historical era with regards to characterisation and setting, it is also a delightful light read that fans of Austin and contemporary fiction alike will relish.
So, I didn’t realise until I started to read this that the main character features in another best-selling book, Pride & Prejudice, Charlotte is a friend of Elizabeth Bennett. There’s a lovely bit of intertextuality for you. I may have got more out of the book if I’d read Pride & Prejudice as I feel there is lot of assumption by the author that you’ll have read the source material so some details are left out I could have benefited from. This wasn’t a terrible book but it was a pretty straight-forward book about a genteel Regency marriage which isn’t my sort of thing. I felt there was too much obsession with wealth and class which got dull after a while. Like I said, not a terrible read but not particularly great either.
This book is about Charlotte Collins who was Elizabeth Bennett's friend in Pride and Prejudice. She marries a vicar and has a daughter to him. Unfortunately the writing was slow and pedestrian  and was not as interesting as Jane Austen's.
I couldn't wait to read more about Charlotte who married to odious Mr Collins and spent his time in Pride and Prejudice raving about his benefactor and this tale did not disappoint. it starts a few years later when Charlotte is settled into the parsonage and her husband still pompous and obsequious hanging on every word of his benefactor Lady Catherine de Bourgh and her daughter Anne. Charlotte picked marriage to Collins instead of being a burden on her family and although she has a delightful daughter there is sadness in her life and she dreams of the elderly Mr Travis 's son. It is beautifully crafted and we feel her pain for the lack of a relationship but her joy in the happiness of others like her friend Elizabeth who is happily married to Darcy. I won't give away how the tale continues but it was a great read bringing to life the conditions that women had to accept in the society of the day.
A gentle story of a marriage in ? Regency
times. I would have liked to know the era it depicted but I assume it was early 1800’s.
A marriage to a country vicar with what entails for the Vicar’s wife in the parish and her relationships with family, friends and neighbours
A well written book although not really my genre or type. Based on Jane Austin characters the storyline is basically romantic although it struggles to fulfill  this at times. Thanks Molly Greeley and NetGalley
This is a spin off from “Pride and Prejudice”, about Charlotte Lucas, who marries Mr Collins.  Having read the novel and seen a couple of dramatisations I do not recall Charlotte but remember Mr Collins as being rather obnoxious and being rejected by Elizabeth Bennett.

The action takes place mainly in Kent, where the Rev Mr Collins has secured a living, which means that Charlotte is away from her family and friends and feeling rather isolated.  Mr Collins is still objectionable but not violent so the couple muddle along by spending much of their time apart.

There is even less action in this novel than in Jane Austen’s stories so it is rather pedestrian.  There is much thought given to class, wealth and the sexes but little in the way of actual romance.

A trifle tedious but quite well written.
A delightfully gentle story, not really romantic but true to life. Gave a very vivid insight into woman’s choice at that time, romance would have been for the lucky and the wealthy.  Nicely written managing to be both heartwarming and sad.
A really interesting viewpoint from the perspective of a not so beautiful bride, and her life.
Easy and enjoyable to read, emotional and thought provoking.
As a fan of Pride and Prejudice, I love entering that world again but am suspicious about how well done the attempt will be. I needn’t worried about this foray through Charlotte being the protagonist. The author does a good job of imagining her life after P&P; I was able to lose myself in the story without any niggles that took me out of the story (such as when sometimes Americans write with British characters and get dialogue or settings wrong).
Thought-provoking about the situation of a woman in those times and the trade-offs she had to make. Fully enjoyable – I recommend this one.
I really enjoyed this book ,a story inspired by the Pride and Prejudice novel .It tells of Charlotte Lucas after her loveless marriage to Mr Collins .She has married for security not love but she works hard at being a Clergyman's wife.Then she meets Mr Travis a local farmer  and her heart is turned upside down !Such a lovely gentle story a joy to read .Many thanks to the Publisher the Author and NetGalley for my review copy in return for an honest review .
Hi I'm sorry I started this but couldn't get into it. Maybe I should have persevered but I didnt realise it was about the characters in Jane Austen.   I'm sure it is a great read if you like that genre.

Thank you for the chance to read.

Best wishes
Charlotte Lucas, at the age of 27 and by no means an outstanding beauty, fears becoming a spinster but her hopes are raised when she discovers that her good friend has declined a proposal from Pastor William Collins, a gentleman who causes Charlotte’s heart to flutter.  In due course she finds herself as his dutiful wife, in a marriage that takes her away from her family to an estate in Kent, giving her security but certainly not an abundance of love.  The Parsonage enjoys the patronage of Lady Catherine de Bourgogne to whom William appears to pay far more attention.

Charlotte produces a lively daughter to whom she is devoted, but still craves love from her husband.  In the course of making Parish calls on the sick and frail she encounters the son of elderly Mr Travis.   Frequent encounters between Charlotte and the younger Mr Travis, hardly seem accidental.  Hearts flutter, but can her heart overrule her head?
An interesting story about Charlotte Lucas - Elizabeth Bennet's friend in Pride & Prejudice. It is Charlotte who marries the pompous Mr Collins after he is rejected by Elizabeth. She does so knowing all of the consequences of her decision based on the ideals of the time. A lot of interesting ideas to discuss. A good book club book.
A book set and based around Pride and Prejudice when life for women was very different to how it is today.
An enjoyable historical fiction story, easy to read.
'There is no use exhausting oneself by railing against the vagaries of fate. Doing so leaves no room for any of the good in life - and, I tell myself firmly, there is much good.'

If you're a fan of Pride and Prejudice, you will certainly adore this. The tone, the writing, the syntax, it is all perfectly suited to the time in which the novel is set. The characters are immensely likeable, and it is a lovely read. Personally, I've not read much set in this period so I'm probably not the best judge, but I found it to be the most wonderful way to while away an afternoon.
This was a story which highlighted the plight of the women of the time who were mere chattels to be directed in a way that benefitted their male relatives. They found what happiness they could in strained circumstances. I am so glad that most women are now free of these expectations.. An absorbing read.
A nice little story, based on Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Charlotte is a dutiful clergyman's wife putting up with his bowing and scraping to the aristocracy, until one day her life changes. There were some interesting historical touches within the narrative.
Thank you for the opportunity to review this book.
Set around pride and prejudice, it tells the story of Me Collins and his wife from their marriage until he inherits his cousin's estate. An interesting perspective of characters I was not overly familiar with.