Cover Image: Flights of Marigold

Flights of Marigold

This book had better flow than the first one. There was more that happened and the focus wasn’t as scattered, which I really appreciated. We catch up with the sisters about ten years in the future. The war still rages on everyone is exhausted. Rennika has been building her life away from it all, hoping to be a master dyer as well as to be a wife and mother. Meg continues to care for Janat and try and keep her out of trouble. Janat has slid into full blown addiction after being fed glim by Wenid.
Here we see the three sisters reunited and their worlds come crashing together as they all struggle with what they want and what the world needs them to be. There are some pretty intense moments as well as heartbreaking ones. The secrets that come tumbling out at the end made me like the book more. I’m hoping the next book answers all the questions milling around in my mind and gives the three sisters what they’ve been working so hard for. They deserve it after all they’ve been through.
I didn't realize when I requested this that it was the second in a series. I have not read the first, and I struggled with this one, so this may not be an entirely fair review. I found the way the author used the notion of addiction a bit heavy-handed, and none of the characters really came to life for me. It felt like a "concept" novel, more than a good story.
ARC from NetGalley

3.5 stars

This is a well-written book that broaches the subject of addiction well. Janat is suffering from past trauma. She is so traumatized and addicted that she will use any substance she can get her hands on just to escape her own mind and fight off the withdrawal symptoms she experiences. Meg never gives up on her even though everyone around her tells her to. Janat wants so desperately to do right by her sisters. She wants to fight. She tries so hard and fails many times, which is simply the reality of addiction.

I went into this not having read the first book, and I wonder if the first book was more in depth about the magic system, because I felt that there was no real explanation here as to what a magiel is and what they do, how their magic works. There is a lot that can be inferred or assumed, but I would have preferred a bit more information.

This book is heavy on political maneuvering and addiction. There is something that Meg must find in order to help commune with the gods and get her people their death tokens so that they can go to heaven. It is never explained how the death tokens work or why they are necessary, but I assume that was touched on in the first book. She is a fierce woman who stands by her convictions and her sisters almost to a fault. She makes terrible choices a lot of the time. When it is imperative that the girls blend in, she breaks almost all the rules, constantly sleeps through her work and is completely blind to everything except for her addicted sister. It got kind of irritating to be honest. I kind of hoped that Janat would just keel over at some point, because while the addiction was portrayed well, it could have been done a tiny bit differently to help the reader sympathize with Janat. There isn't enough time spent explaining how much she is hurting and exactly what she is running from. She seems to be incredibly selfish and stupid a lot of the time. It can be hard to want someone like that to thrive.

I liked the ending. It was a cliffhanger done well. The kind that makes you want to read the next book, not the kind that makes you feel like you got shorted half the fries in your lunch, you know? A decent read!
Flights of Marigold (Addicted to Heaven Series) – Susan Forest

I was given an advanced copy of the this book by the publisher in order to provide a review.

“Flights of Marigold” is the second story in the series “Addicted to Heaven” series bu Susan Forest, the first being “Bursts of Fire” which I have not read.

“Flights of Marigold” follows the tales of three sisters who are the descended from a long ling of powerful magiels that can trace back their lineage to the one god.

After the destruction of their mother's prayer stone, the Amber stone, by High King Huwen; the sisters flee for their safety and to protect their identity. If their true identities were discovered they would be hunted down and forced to use their powers against the common people or worse, forced into High King Huwen's breeding program, so he can have powerful magiels loyal to him; magiels completely under his control.

For a few years the sisters are safe and relatively happy. Rennika works as an apprentice for a dyer, assuming the life of an adoptive daughter far from home.  However, Meg and Janat have spent their years working with the uprisers, trying to help free the lands from High King Huwen and hoping to get the exiled King Dwyn. Meg starts to loose hope. Struggling to help Janat and whatever inner demons she is fighting, struggling to land a blow against High King Huwen. What hope do the uprisers have without a prayer stone, without the Amber stone. If they had that, Meg could pray to the one god and right all the wrongs that have been, unfortunately the Amber Stone was destroyed. Or was it.....

Rumours have been swirling that maybe the Amber wasn't destroyed after all. Now the sisters manage to reunite after all the years that passed and do all they can to find the Amber and bring hope to the uprisers, yet they have their own struggles and personal demons to overcome.

I found “Flights of Marigold” to have a good story it just lacked excitement for me and was struggle to get through some chapters. Maybe if I had read the first story it might have flowed a bit better for me. The story was enjoyable just needed to be faster paced and have a bit more action, just lulled in too many places. Though I have a feeling with the way this book ended, and without giving away any spoilers, the next book might have a bit more action and have a faster pace. Not a bad read if you want an easy read.
The plot of this book is very interesting, but it was hard for me to get into. I think there just wasn’t enough to connect me to the characters. The book is well-written, I just didn’t connect to them.
Flights of Marigold by Susan Forest was a great second book in the Addicted to Heaven series and I'm looking forward to reading the next book. I think I saw somewhere that this is set to be a series of seven  books so keep that in mind. The books do need to be read in order for the story to make since.

At first I didn't realize Flights of Marigold was part of a series, I'm very glad I did and that I read the first book in the series, Bursts of Fire. I would have been very lost and the story would not have been as good if I had skipped the first book. Flights of Marigold starts about ten years after the Bursts of Fire ended. It took me a little to realize, and at first I was a little bit annoyed because I felt that there was a bit of suspense at the end of Bursts of Fire. Then I realized that having the jump in time was actually a good thing because we are seeing the adult versions of our characters. Meg, Janat, and Rennika are still running from the past, but they are no longer children. Rennika has gone back to Highglen and made a life for herself there as a non-magic wielder. Janat and Meg are still with the rebels although with Janat's addition it is hard for the sisters. Meg is frustrated because Janat seems to purposely sabotage and Janat is upset because Meg won't give her space. As the three sisters come back together we see how their relationships have grown and changed over the years.  I liked that we got to see where they were years later.

We also see the changes that have occurred in the Delarcan Royal Family. High King Huwen has taken the unified countries under the One God and tried to keep the rebels from taking back their land. With the prayer stones destroyed and the last one  held by Huwen's brother the people do not have access to death tokens or requests to the gods. This leads to more unrest in the country.

Bursts of Fire set up the story and was a very good novel, but I think Flights of Marigold really gets into the what comes after that is missing in so many stories, and I like that we are seeing that. The Addicted to Heaven series creates a fantasy world that deals with so many problems that our world deals with: addiction, race, and social status. It feels like a real world because the characters are struggling, doing the best they can, but that doesn't always lead to the results they expect or want.

This book does feel like just a part of a story and not a full story so be warned that while there is an ending it doesn't feel like the end of the story you will still want to know more about the characters and the world.
Meg, Janat and Rennika are magiels that have escaped being hunted. Now the sisters have to survive the new world.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

It starts with Meg, who is doing her part for the rebellion, healing their fighters, and trying to knock sense into their squabbling leaders. She soon realises that this isn't best place for her magic-addicted sister, Janat.
Together, they leave the rebels, trying to find a new path, wanting to heal, and find honest work.

When they eventually reunite with Rennika, they inevitably get drawn back into the politics and drama.

Bursts of Fire (Addicted to Heaven #1) was one of my favourite books last year. It has an interesting magic system, where the backlash of using magic is the magiel slips through their own timeline.
Each kingdom has a prayer stone, where the royal magiel transcends to heaven, to deliver prayers for the kingdom, and return with death tokens for their people. People who die without death tokens are doomed to roam the world as ghosts for eternity.
This system still exists in the sequel, although it is somewhat battered after the war.

I didn't fall in love with this story. It felt like the stereotypical mid-series-book, where the characters are dealing with the fall-out of the first book, and have no real agency.
For 60% of the book, they are running from the fight, having had enough of the rebellion. They have to avoid the rebels, and the High King's army. They also have to figure out how to live in a world that treats them like scum, because of the magic visible in their skin. Meg and Janat take on basic, menial work, for room and board, merely existing.
Yes, they have to take care of Janat's addiction - and I thought this was a very real and frustrating depiction - but I just couldn't connect.

Rennika doesn't even show up until the second half of the book. I liked this youngest sister, who was building up to something awesome in the first book. In this second installment, all of her drive has been replaced by the security of having a job as a master dyer.
She has turned her back on everything, including her magic.

I think with all the sisters saying 'screw this' to the bigger picture, and getting on with dull life stuff, it was really hard to be engaged.

The narration is also shared by several of the 'enemies', including the High King, his ambitious sister, and even more ambitious regent.
The Princess is easily the most cunning in the group; but overall I thought their political clashes were more petty squabbles than actual intrigue.

I'm still interested to see where this series leads, it was just a shame about this installment.
The magic system in this book is one of the more interesting ones I’ve come across. Magiels and their shimmering skin and the time cost of the magic offer an interesting view on the costs the magical characters have to weigh to use their magic.

While a solidly written book with an interesting magic system, it wasn’t enough for me. It isn’t like it’s badly written, I just wasn’t pulled in. I didn’t care enough for the characters to want to watch them get to safety, and for one to struggle with her own inner demons and the problems it caused for others.

The parts that were meant to be exciting and full of action were also boring to me. I just found myself not caring about the outcomes. It’s a solidly written book and a decent enough read. But I won’t be reaching for it again.
This is an interesting fantasty tale, with a dependency perspective.  I enjoyed the book and thought the plot was good.  I would read Forest again.