Cover Image: The Castaways

The Castaways

Wow!
This is, by far, one of the best books I have read for a long time.
I'm really fussy too and will stop reading if something loses my interest (life is too short, there's too many books out there to waste time on the bad ones)
This had me hooked right from the start until the very end.
I absolutely loved it and will probably give it a second read before the year is out too.
Well done!
I loved the pace of this book and was staying up late to get it finished.

Set in two different time periods two years apart this story follows two sisters Erin and Lori after one is in a plane crash. With a quietly menacing feel I devoured both sisters' storylines.

I found the reveal to be satisfying overall but felt that at times the characters' behaviour seemed inconsistent.

Would definitely recommend.
What a great book!  Really enjoyed it.  This is not the sort of story I would normally read, but I joined NetGalley to have the opportunity to try different genres than I would normally go for.  The story is intriguing and I was never quite sure where it was going to end up.
The book alternates between Erin and her sister, Lori and between "then" and "now".  The gaps gradually get smaller until the conclusion. I did guess one small part towards the end, but there was a final twist right at the end which I didn't see coming!
I would thoroughly recommend this book and thank NetGalley & the publishers for allowing me to read the book in exchange for an honest review, which is what I have given.
The initial few chapters of the book really gripped me with me tearing through half of the book in a matter of hours however the second half of the book fell flat for me.
I found the sister's relationship with one another very intense and at points not particularly believable.
However overall, the book was a fun read.
A slow burning thriller, that ramped up the tension as the end neared. Lori's plane went missing on its way to a Fijian Island resort. Her sister Erin was meant to be on the plane too, but after an argument she didn't show up for the flight. Erin has spent the past 2 years trying to find answers and live with her guilt for abandoning her sister. When the pilot is found alive, she's determined to find the truth.
Told from both Erin and Lori's viewpoint, this is a page turner that often had me reading with my hand over my mouth. I had no idea what would happen in the end but it was satisfying. This will make a great holiday read, or provide an escape if we're all still at home this year.
I honestly didn't know what to expect from this book but I have to admit I was hooked from the very beginning and was so emotionally attached to this story. It made me smile, cry and even get very angry which is very rare that a book can cause that kind of emotion. I honestly didn't see any of the twists or turns happening and was constantly shocked when a big thing happened. I will be looking into more of Lucy's work as her imagination and writing skills are superb.
I’m in two minds about this book; on one hand it is a gripping adventure story and I thoroughly enjoyed it on that level, on the other hand I couldn’t emphasise with either Lori or Erin and found their relationship slightly over the top, but then I’m an only child and don’t have any beloved sisters so perhaps I’m not the most receptive reader.  All in all however I’m sure that The Castaways will be a massive summer hit for Ms Clarke and it is certainly an entertaining and satisfying read.

Many thanks to Harper Collins UK, to Lucy Clarke and to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this exciting book.
A gripping read, I stayed up late to finish it.

The story centres around Erin and Lori who decide to book a holiday.  An argument the night before the flight sees the sisters falling out and Erin never makes the flight.  Lori decides to go on her own, not knowing this will change both their lives.  The plane crashes and the passengers seemingly disappear. What happened?

There are lots of twists and turns, you are kept guessing until the end in whether Lori survives.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
This is without a doubt heading onto my favourite reads of 2021 stack!
I LOVED this!
I enjoy thrillers but this was something extra. It was well written, clever, full of twists and gripping - I couldn’t see this ending up one anyone’s ‘did not finish’ pile because as soon as you start reading you need answers, you need to get to the end, you couldn’t possibly put this book down and walk away from it not knowing the outcome for the 2 main characters Erin and Lori.

It was one of those books where you say to yourself ‘one more chapter’ and before you know it, its 2am and you will feel bookhungover in the morning.

I’m very close to my little sister so I really connected to both characters and the close relationship they had. Even the sub characters throughout were really well written, all with their own stories, there wasn’t a character that I didn’t like. I enjoyed how it changed between chapters from each sister as they are two very different people going through the same experience.

I could go on about this book, but I don’t want to say too much and spoil it, what i will say is - READ IT!
A fantastic page-turner, full of jaw-dropping twists and edge of your seat type suspense!

What a brilliant read this was, if I didn’t have children and have to work, I could’ve easily devoured this in a day! Gripping from start to finish, with a constant uncertainty of where things were going, I absolutely loved it.

Fed up after her husband Pete left her for another woman, Lori is feeling impulsive and books a luxury ten-night holiday to a remote island in Fiji for herself and her sister Erin. This will be just the break she needs after everything that has happened. Sun, sea and cocktails, what a perfect way to get over your cheating ex.

The story is told from the perspective of Lori at the time of the holiday and Erin two years later. The chapters flit perfectly between the sisters, revealing what happened in Fiji and how the holiday of a lifetime became the holiday from hell!

This is a fast-paced thriller that is jam-packed with suspense. I loved how the chapters would leave little cliff-hangers which would help to hold your attention, making the book very difficult to put down. The story is so well written and tightly plotted and the description used makes it an incredibly atmospheric read. I have been to Fiji, so I enjoyed using my memories of the beautiful islands to help set the scene in my head.

As well as Lori and Erin there are a few other characters in this book, each one I couldn’t trust, and this definitely helped to make the book and the ending so unpredictable. In amongst this compelling story, there were a few emotional moments too, I love when a book can make you feel and this one did just that.

An absolute must-read and one that I think would make a fantastic film.

Thank you to Lucy Clarke, HarperCollins UK and NetGalley for my ARC of this book.
A fantastic read which had me hooked from the first page to the last! After Lori’s plane goes missing somewhere on a Fijian island, Erin tries everything she can to find her but as the years go past with no news, she starts to loose hope of ever seeing her again. One sister is in the past and one in the present, keeping you guessing about what really happened after the plane went down. Not a good holiday read if you are flying off to some gorgeous remote island!
This was a superb read and  one that I just had to keep reading. The ending was not what I had expected although I have to say that it was certainly real. I loved the characters and feel that life was so well decsribed for the castaways with utterly believable characters. A very intense, gripping story. I cant wait to read more by this extremely talented author.
It sould be like any other holiday. Beautiful Beaches. Golden sunsets. Nothing for miles. You'll never want to leave. Until you can't.

Erin and Lori bith go on a hoilday together but only one ends up on the short flight over to an island of Fiji. Lori had decided to treat herself and her sister Erin to a holiday on a Fiji island. But before their final flight, the two sister's argue and Erin misses her flight. But the plane goes missing. The story is narrated by Erin and Lori's perspectives. Erin is still searching for her sister two years after the palnes disapearance. Lori's perspective starts after the plane vanished and we're told what happened to the seven people who boarded that flight. The pace iis steady in this well writen book that's gripping and intriguing. The characters are well rounded and believable. I had a lump in my throat whilst reading the last chapter.

I would like to thank #NetGalley, #HarperCollinsUk #HarperFiction and the author #LucyClarke for my ARC #TheCastaways in exchange for an honest review.
This is a book of two halves. It starts off so well; 2 sisters, both of whom should have been heading for a dream holiday on a remote island but only one gets on the plane, then, she disappears.
What follows is the story from a 'then' and 'now' perspective, but, unfortunately, for me, it just didn't maintain it's early drama and 'hook'.

Erin is the sister left behind and who cannot let go of the mystery. The other sister, Lori tells her story of what happened.

I found it overall to be an OK read. It did start off so well, just lost momentum and I lost interest, sorry!

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to preview.
To say that the two sisters were going through a stressful time together was an understatement. They had always been close, especially after their mother died, but they were all grown up now. Lori’s marriage ended, and she had moved in with her younger sister Erin. Things were not working out too well, so a holiday to relax in Fiji was thought to be a good idea with Lori. On the last leg of the trip, an argument means one sister gets on the flight, and the other doesn’t.

OMG, what a tense and edgy story this is. My heart was in my mouth, my pulse racing and my frustration were through the roof. The story is told from two different timelines as now reporter Erin goes back to Fiji to investigate a new lead that could give answers to the seven families of the missing passengers that had been on the flight that day. Meanwhile, the second storyline follows the fateful flight told by Lori.

It has to be my top tense read so far this year. The characters are superb, and the storyline just incredible. There is nothing to chose between the sisters, they had just grown up and moved on from that needing to be in each other’s pockets. I loved how the story unfolded, and new characters were introduced and became the main players in the story.

It is a hard story to review because I don’t want to give clues away. Just make sure you clear a day, because it is a go in and, get involved story to the end. I would have hated to lose that momentum. I can not recommend this book highly enough. Just superb! Wow, WOW! What an ending!

I wish to thank the publisher for a copy of this book which I have reviewed honestly.
This was an absolutely fantastic read and definitely one of my favourite books this year so far. I loved the whole unique storyline which kept me gripped from start to finish. I genuinely did not know what to expect or how it would end. It was so atmospheric and I honestly couldn’t put it down. Would definitely recommend this book
I’m breathless! This book draws you in from the first page and keeps up the tense, claustrophobic suspense right till the end. Erin is trying to find out what happened to her sister who disappeared along with the plane she was on and is presumed dead. The story is told in Now and Then chapters which build the tension and make it unputdownable. Even though most of it is set on a desert island, it manages to feel cloying and close and uncomfortable. So well written. Highly recommend
What a brilliant read. This story is everything you want in a novel its thrilling and has lots of twists and I just couldn't put it down..First book by Lucy Clarke that I've read but it wont be the last it keeps you gripped right till the end. A great 5🌟read
The description of this one sounded good. An island holiday, and then you can't leave. Sounds like a great thriller concept. It turned out to be not supernatural as was my first impression, but still a good story.

The first chapter was info dump. Far too much information about the first character to assimilate. The chapter title indicated a flashback, then I got to chapter two titled to indicate the present and it went into present tense. Why do authors do this!!! I would have dnf'd right there if it hadn't been a Netgalley choice. I make more of an effort to slog on with the mindset that I've agreed to review.

The story quickly took shape after that and I found myself becoming interested. The chapters about Lori, set in the past, interested me most. They take us through the bizarre experience of her having an argument with her sister, who doesn't show up for the next short flight of their holiday, and what happened on the plane afterwards and on the island.

The alternating chapters worked well, watching Lori's experience of the past alternating with her sister Erin's reliving the memories of her sister's plane disappearing when something unexpected turns up to open up the case again. I didn't especially like Erin and the present tense in her chapters made it a slog, but the balance of past and present was done well.

The timing was also good. All through the story I was getting more and more invested in Lori's story and hoping she would survive, though there were many possibilities why she might not. It wasn't until pretty much the end when we finally learn her fate.

A few aspects of the resolution didn't quite ring true, but the story did keep me interested and made for a good read, apart from the tense changes.
Idyllic Holiday Turns Sour...
An idyllic holiday turns sour in this easy reading suspense. With a credible cast, some top notch descriptive passages and an intriguing plot line this is absolute escapism. An entertaining read.