Cover Image: The Castaways

The Castaways

Erin and Lori are sisters, setting off on an exotic holiday to Fiji. However, following a bitter argument, only one of them boards the plane for the final leg of the journey. And then the plane crashes…

This is a tense, fast-paced story with plenty of twists and turns and lots of action. It has a split structure, with the timeline splitting between Erin in the present day, and Lori two years earlier. This is effective and helps the story to move at a decent pace - I liked that a lot of the discoveries were made along with Erin as I felt it made the story more interesting. The characters were good as well - none of them were perfect so they felt quite realistic. I really enjoyed this story - a great summer read!! Although it may make you rethink any plans you have to head abroad!

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Some books you pick up, read a few chapters and put it down, then others you just want to devour and this is one of them.

I was totally enthralled by both the main characters, the setting and the storyline.

I had to take pauses as I was reading outside on and off but my god that plot was just bouncing around my mind every time I put it down. I couldn’t rest until I knew what was happening. In the end I read the whole book in a over a couple of days due to life getting in my way and had I not had a 7 year old to occupy this would have been a book in a day read!

Everything about this book wowed me. The complex dual timeline that ricocheted back and forth over a two year span. The characters all with their own story and the fabulous plot! It was beautifully written, crammed full of twists and characters were complex.

If you are in a reading slump I can pretty much guarantee this will pull you out of it!
I was a little worried this was going to be a little too 'LOST' for my liking and I'm so so glad it was anything but!

At the start we learn that Erin's sister Lori was living with her after her marriage broke down ans decided to be spontaneous and book then a trip to Fiji. The girls have an argument and only Lori gets on the plane. That's when it all goes wrong.

The plane crashes and we then jump between Loris story then and Erin's now.

There's alot of character development as Erin hunts for her sister. The girls learn about themselves whilst we learn about them.

Overall its a great read I devoured in am afternoon and a good reminder that you really cam do anything if you really want to.
The Castaways by Lucy Clarke Narrated by: Jess Nesling, Helen Phillips I loved it and was hooked within the first chapters on the audiobook and I could not stop listening to the book. I loved all the characters and they were interesting and engaging characters. This book is also fast-paced with lots of twists and turns which made it Brilliant!

I highly recommend this audiobook the narrators were excellent.

Big thank you to Netgalley and Harper Collins UK  and HarperCollins UK Audio for my copy and the opportunity to read and audiobook and review this brilliant book.
I really enjoyed this book thank you NetGalley I found I liked the characters and routed for them
I found elements of e ploy predicable but overall it did keep me guessing
Throughly readable book and I would recommend
You wake on a beautiful, remote island.
Sparkling blue seas, golden sunsets, barely a footprint in the sand.
Yet this is no ordinary escape.
Next to the wreck of a plane, a stranger paces. Another sharpens a knife, scoring a list of the dead onto a palm tree. Others watch from the shadows of a campfire – all with untold stories, and closely-guarded secrets…
This is no ordinary holiday.
This is no ordinary island.
This is no ordinary beach read.

Thank you to the publisher for inviting me to be part of the tour for this book.

I have read books by this author before, particularly,  You Let Me In, which I absolutely loved and was so honoured to be part of this tour.

This book does not disappoint and is a real page turner.  I read this book in one sitting one Sunday afternoon and literally did not move from the sofa until I had finished it.

This book was a perfect escape.

The author’s writing is so real that you feel like you are part of the story.  You live the life through the characters and become completely immersed into the story.

This is one of the best psychological thrillers this year. I cant wait to read more by the author
Lori boards a plane from Nadi on Fiji’s main island Viti Levu to Limaji, a remote island in the south east of the archipelago. Only the plane never arrives.
Her sister Erin should have been onboard the same flight. Only the night before Erin and Lori had had a huge row and Erin hadn’t returned to the hotel room by morning.
A few years later, Erin is determined to find out what happened to the plane and its passengers...

I can’t recommend The Castaways enough, perfect summer reading for a hot few days. I haven’t been so engrossed in a book for some time. Lucy Clarke always writes books in amazing settings, with The Castaways being set in the Fijian archipelago. Although you may think being stranded on a secluded tropical island surrounded by clear turquoise seas sounds ideal, in reality it appears claustrophobic, trapped with strangers, with no chance of escape and at times threatening, not knowing what is lurking in the dense jungle undergrowth. I felt like I was there on the island with Lori, Lucy Clarke is superb at transporting the reader to other places with her descriptions. Her books are perfect for escapism, reading on holiday, or wishing you were on holiday.
I devoured this book which is a good sign - most definitely my favourite read of 2021.

With many thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins U.K, HarperFiction for the opportunity to read this ARC, in return for an honest and unbiased review.
One of my favourite books of 2021.
 2 sisters. Both lost but in very different ways. Beautifully crafted duel timeline thriller that will stay with me.
I requested this ages ago and assumed I wasn't lucky enough to receive a copy. I was seeing great reviews for it , so when it was published I bought a copy.
Then today I have received a copy to review so can review within hours of receiving !
Two sisters who are also great mates , go on a holiday of a lifetime to Fuji.
Unfortunately only Lori gets on the plane as Erin does not arrive at the airport and disaster happens when the plane crashes.
No spoilers from me , buy the book !
This book is the stuff of nightmares , and Lucy Clarke has wrote it with just enough suspense , tension , and twists to keep you turning the page.
This is a vividly written tense thriller with a psychological edge that drew me in from the very beginning, one of those books that keeps you reading into the night!  The story is narrated in turn by two sisters who have a close but somewhat fragile relationship caused by their own personal problems. I found it a real page turner with unexpected twists and turns and has great characters and settings.
As the title suggests, this book is about the survivors of a plane crash which happens on an extremely remote Fijian island. What should have been the holiday of a lifetime for sisters Erin and Lori turns into their worst nightmare. Having lost both their parents, leaving them with just each other and promising that they will always be there for each other they end up having a big argument on the first stage of their holiday. Erin misses the connecting flight to their resort, having chosen to spend the previous evening downing drinks with a stranger in a bar. More reliable Lori gets the flight - but ends up wishing she hadn't.

The story is told from the points of view of each sister, in the time frames of the immediate aftermath of the crash and two years later as Erin continues her search for the truth. In some ways the story is quite predictable in that each of the survivors react in certain ways to the predicament they find themselves in, yet there are still some shocking twists and turns to keep the reader engaged.

The feeling of suspense as to whether Erin will get to the bottom of what happened on that flight keeps you wanting just one more chapter before you put the book down to get some sleep. Will anyone escape the clutches of the remote island? What really caused the plane to veer off course and crash? And is it just a sense of duty to her sister that makes Erin keep up the search or is there a sense of guilt that keeps her going?

I very much enjoyed this book and would have loved to have had the opportunity to immerse myself in the plot in one sitting. Another hit from Lucy Clarke for me, whose previous book 'The Blue' had me seeking out her entire backlist to read. 4.5 stars rounded up to 5.
A fast paced and twisty mystery - I read it in one sitting. It's hard not to compare it to 'Lost', but probably only because I have no other references at hand for a modern "what happened to the passengers of flight X" scenario. The sisterly bond and all its imperfections and strengths is the heart of the book, combined together with the alternating timeline and dual perspectives it builds to an emotive, thrilling conclusion.
Loved the plot, it was very thrilling. Good set up and plot! Would definitely read from the author again.
Thanks a lot to NG and the publisher for this copy.
The Castaways by Lucy Clarke

I'll start with the positives. Firstly, the 'Surviving on a Desert Island' genre is endlessly fascinating. I could happily read anything on the subject as it raises so many 'What would I do?' questions which you'd rather not find out for yourself!
So the premise of The Castaways couldn't fail to pique my interest.
I liked the clearly marked 'Then' and 'Now' sections which made the book such an easy read. And being an 'easy read' is not a criticism – it's sometimes just what you need for total relaxation.
I was totally immersed for the first half of the book, but then, unfortunately, the repetition and often cliched writing started to grate and I found myself rolling my eyes too many times.
I couldn't connect at all with any of the characters. They just didn't seem fully fleshed out. Neither of the sisters came across as sensitive or even particularly likeable and despite the book's main backbone being about the bond between siblings – I just didn't feel it.
The 'baddie' of the piece, Daniel, was a very by-the-numbers, archetypal self-centred, egotist – I'm sure he's appeared in a large number of psychological thrillers that I've read in the past few years. Maybe the old adage of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' shouldn't apply to thrillers – formulas are often better with some tweaking.
For me, the book started as a five-star read, and towards the middle, slipped down to four stars. But unfortunately, the ending cemented The Castaways as an average three star read. It felt unsatisfying and unbelievable. But worse still there was a glaring mistake regarding one of the 'clues' which I couldn't shake off once I'd spotted it.

* Thanks to Harper Collins UK and Netgalley for the ARC.
Lori and Erin were always close; the best of friends as well as sisters. A dream trip to Fiji should have been a taste of paradise, but it turns into a nightmare that they’ll never forget. When Erin doesn’t show for her flight, Lori is nervous – forcing herself to board, furious with her sister for abandoning her even though she’s a nervous flyer. Erin is wracked with guilt when she hears that the plane crashed, committing to spending the rest of her life hunting for answers. What happened to her sister? Why did the plane crash? Will she ever find out the truth behind the holiday that changed her life forever?

Talk about a juicy, action packed story! From beginning to end, you’re on the edge of your seat wanting to know what happens next, as invested to finding answers as much as Erin is! With each chapter, there’s a bit more mystery, with little nuggets of intrigue being dropped behind each character and situation that’s introduced. I love that it switched between both sisters point of views – each of them balancing eachother out and filling in the blanks until the hugely shocking conclusion at the end.

Lucy Clarke is a really great author. You can tell a lot of thought went into the writing because no stone was left unturned, there were no unanswered questions at the end and each chapter left you craving more. I really liked the characters of both Lori & Erin; their insights were so descriptive that you almost felt like you’d flown out to Fiji with them! I also really liked that even the side characters had little backstories and a moment in the spotlight as well, it added to the realism and completed the story as a whole.

I highly recommend this book to any mystery lovers – it ticks all the boxes and doesn’t disappoint. The only piece of advice I’d give to anyone wanting to read this exciting, action-packed mystery this summer? Don’t bring it on holiday and DEFINITELY don’t read it on the plane!

Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins for my advanced reader copy! 💕
Wow, this has to be one of my best reads so far this year.  This book is filled with so much tension and action and is a real page turner.  A fantastic Read!
Many thanks to Netgalley, Lucy Clarke and HarperCollins UK for my copy.
I loved this book; it was a great, very edgy psychological thriller, with brilliant characters who I could clearly visualise. The portrayal of the crash and the island were also excellent. Very good book.
I chose to read and review a free eARC of The Castaways but that has in no way influenced my review.

Well, this book delivered a whole lot more than I was expecting! I'm a bit of a weirdo in that I'm fascinated by air disasters and regular readers of damppebbles may have noticed an increase in books with a plane crash, hijack or disappearance as the theme featuring strongly over the last month or so. I think an abundance of Sunday lunchtime 'reality' shows in my youth taught me that if you're a castaway, you probably got to be one following the sinking of your boat (...or the producers dropped you and a number of other overly attractive 'survivors' off ). That is not the case in this gripping page-turner of a thriller, no siree. One uninhabited island and one small passenger plane en route to an exclusive Fijian resort make for a compelling tale which hooked me instantly.

The blurb doesn't give a lot away but this is a book about guilt, about the bond held between two sisters, it's about perseverance, about obsession and about falling in love. It also has a deliciously dark vein running through its pages. After all, this is not the intended trip to paradise the characters originally set out for. The need to survive against all odds, the threat strangers can bring, the lies we tell and the secrets we keep all contribute to a fascinating and engaging storyline. I thoroughly enjoyed The Castaways and discovering more about sisters, Lori and Erin.

Lori, following her recent separation from her husband, books a holiday for her and Erin at an exclusive island resort in Fiji. The night before their flight from the mainland to the resort, they argue. The following day, Lori goes to board the plane but Erin doesn't show. A nervous flyer, she boards anyway, casting a wary eye over her fellow travellers. Something doesn't feel right, one or two of the other passengers are making her nervous, and rightly so. Partway to the island, the flight disappears leaving Erin distraught and full of guilt. It should have been both of them on that plane. Whatever happened to Lori, she went through it alone. Erin, a journalist, becomes obsessed with finding out what happened to her sister. Guilt pushes her on. But the trail gradually goes cold. Until two years later, when a survivor is found...

The Castaways has a cast of skilfully written characters and an atmospheric setting which I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't want to say too much about this book as I feel, because of the brief blurb, that anything I do say could unintentionally be a spoiler. So I'll keep the rest of this review short and sweet because I already feel as though what I've said could be bordering on spoiler territory (although the title of the book - The Castaways - does provide a little reassurance).

Would I recommend this book? I would, yes. The Castaways is a compelling story told with confidence. I really loved the ending, it wasn't at all what I was expecting but it felt strangely right following what had come before. All in all, a very readable, very entertaining tale which I recommend.

I chose to read and review a free eARC of The Castaways. The above review is my own unbiased opinion.
Enjoyed reading, plane crashes and islands always seem to make an interesting albeit slightly terrifying mix - would recommend!
Absolutely loved this. What a gripping and intriguing read.  Would highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a read full of twists.