Cover Image: The Castaways

The Castaways

When you want to escape to an island and feel like away from everything, then Fiji is perhaps an island that springs to mind. Blue seas and white sand. Warm sun and beautiful scenery, the perfect place to be castaway.

Expect for Erin and Lori, sisters who have decided on a holiday to Fiji.

Lori gets on the plane.

Erin does not.

The plane disappears and Erin is left wondering about what has happened to Lori?

Told in both the past and the present, from both Lori and Erin, we see all the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle set out in front of us and as we learn the story of the two sisters and how they both find themselves where they do.

In Fiji, in the past and in the present.

There are as many answers as there are questions and when the pilot of the missing plane reappears after two years, Erin has to know the truth.

I could write more, but that would take away some of the fear, the trepidation, the importance of the setting, that feeling that you are far away from everything and that perhaps it is not paradise after all.

An excellent thriller that was perhaps not what you were expecting and that made it all the more interesting.
Sisters Lauri & Ellen are on holiday in Fiji.  They have an argument the night before they are due to take a plane journey and only Lauri boards the flight.  The plane goes missing and Erin is left fighting for the truth of what happened during that fateful journey.

The story is told from 2 perspectives, Erin in the present and Lauri in the past.  This is a well written story,  with a clever plot and excellent characters.  A tense and interesting read.  Highly recommended.

Thank you to Harpercollins UK, Netgalley & the author for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Wow. What a page turner. I loved this book from cover to cover and absolutely devoured it.
Based around an airplane crash which has separated two sisters, it tells the story from each sisters point of view.
Lori got on the doomed aircraft and hasn't been seen since the plane crash meanwhile the on going narrative with her sister Erin tells her story since the disappearance of the aircraft.
Add in some interesting and dubious characters, we  have a great thriller .
Brilliantly written, the author ties up every loose end and answers every question the reader may have by the end of the book.

Great book, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

#thecastaways #lucyclarke #thriller #island #planecrash #missing #disappeared # sisters #pageturner # lovedit  #5stars
Well what can I say! I love this author and have read all of her books and will continue to do so. She knows how to catch your imagination and run with it....
I love the strong sister relationships in her stories and the way she draws you in and keeps you guessing.
 Couldn't put this book down and can't wait for the next one.
I won’t say too much about the plot because I don’t want to ruin it. But to give you a vague outline, sisters Lori and Erin decide to go on a sunny holiday together but become separated before they reach their final destination. Journalist Erin is now desperately searching for answers as to what really happened to her beloved sister, and it looks as though there might be more to the story than first appearances might have suggested…

This is the first of Lucy Clarke’s books that I’ve read but it absolutely won’t be my last; I was totally hooked from the first page to the end! It has a really clever, twisty plot, which kept me wanting to read “just one more chapter” and the South Pacific setting lent a particular mysterious atmosphere to the narrative. I found some parts extremely tense!

I think plotting and pacing a thriller must be super difficult and Clarke has absolutely nailed it in The Castaways. It has all the elements I look for in a thriller while also creating these wonderful 3 dimensional characters and relationships. The lovely bond between the two sisters made me all the more desperate for Erin to find out what happened to Lori, and to discover who or what was at fault.

Perhaps not one to read in the airport on the way to your dream destination but The Castaways is 100% brilliant, pure escapism. I loved it!

With thanks to Harper Collins for gifting me a digital copy to review.
Another smash hit by Lucy Clarke. The Castaways is definitely one of the most tense and mysterious thrillers I've read in a long time. Brilliant. Couldn't put it down xx
This is one author where I love every one of her books. I would finish her latest one and almost count down the days to the next one...
She doesn't write quick enough for me..
What is so lovely is that she incorporates her travel experiences into her books.
She certainly does her research for them too.
Her latest book The Castaways is partially set on the island of Fiji, her honeymoon destination..
She packs her writing journal and away she goes...
The perfect writing life don't you think..
We meet twins Lori & Erin in this story.
Twins that are very close to one another but their lives change irrevocably one night on holiday after an argument while having dinner.
Erin storms off and when she doesn't turn up for their flight the next morning, Lori feeling brave decides to go ahead and boards the small plane.
The plane crashes and the next two years Erin spends looking for her sister and the missing plane.
The story alternates between Erin now and Lori before the flight and when it happens.
I loved how it was told..
You find the story and what does happen unfolding from such great and very different viewpoints.
There are secrets, disappointments and lots of frustration but what shines through the pages is the love both sisters have for each other.
I did read one review of this book before I read it and the person felt that the book fell flat in the middle...
Not one little bit for me. I found it to be fast paced in what was happening and some scenes quite dramatic.
I don't think Lucy Clarke took her foot off the pedal for the whole book.
I'm not sure what outcome I expected but it worked for me.
So very well worth your time 💕
Wow ! As always a brilliant read from start to finish. I couldn’t put it down I absolutely loved it. It spirited me away to far flung lands. What a brilliant read !
10/10
This was my first novel by Lucy Clarke but won’t be my last.
Two sisters, Lori and Erin, go on a amazing once in a lifetime holiday it thanks to an argument Lori boards a flight to the next destination on her own.  The flight disappear and all aboard are deemed dead.  Erin then has to deal with the guilt of losing her sister.   Two years later the pilot is found Alice so Erin goes back to investigate.
The novel is told from the POV of both sisters.  It’s a fantastic read and kept me hooked from page one to the last page.
Thanks to HarperCollins and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The plot was really good, the story was quite captivating and I wanted to know what it would happen all the way until the end. I found the characters interesting, well fleshed, and the alternating perspectives and timelines made soooo much sense! The ending was really good and did not expect some of the stuff that have happened. I also liked the decision the younger sister made, it made total sense.
TWENTY Must-Read Books of 2021 that You Need On Your Bookshelf
In 2020, I read a crazy amount of books. I doubt I will ever top the amount I read!

I’m trying to read as much as I can and just plowed through some of the best novels  I have ever read. I didn’t think another year could possibly compare, but there is an absolute plethora of books that are SO GOOD coming out now and in the next few months.

I cannot stop reading! As soon as I finish one I pick up another.

Here are TWENTY books that you will want to read as soon as they are published.

These are books that will entertain,  make you think, make you laugh, some will have you biting your nails in suspense.  Take a look now and let me know what you will be reading!

15. The Castaways by Lucy Clarke, clear your calendar for this book that will have you glued to the pages.
A SECRET BEACH.  A HOLIDAY OF A LIFETIME. WISH YOU WERE HERE? THINK AGAIN…

It should be like any other holiday.  Beautiful beaches. Golden sunsets. Nothing for miles.  You’ll never want to leave. Until you can’t…

Gripping, twisty and full of sun-soaked atmosphere, THE CASTAWAYS will whisk you far away to the island – and never let you go.

This was just published, get a copy right now!
I have a terrible fear of flying and after this I probably will never get on another flight again! This was a really tense read, the plane crash is the stuff of nightmares! I enjoyed the relationship between the sisters, yes family can be very complicated! The first half of the book was probably the most enjoyable for me. The happenings on the island and after that were pretty unbelievable at times but it is a novel and you just have to suspend disbelief. That poor baby is all I could think about. But a good, very atmospheric read and I enjoyed the different points of view throughout.
A thrilling, atmospheric and chilling read set on a deserted island. Two years after a plane crash, Erin is still haunted by the disapperance of her sister.and the planes crew and passengers and travels to Fiji to investigate. I was drawn into the narrative and characters. A satisfying read.
The Castaways by Lucy Clarke

Sisters Lori and Erin have always been close, supporting each other through the loss of their mother, living together, holding each other up. When Lori’s marriage ends very unhappily, she books a dream holiday island-hopping in Fiji for herself and Erin. But one evening in the hotel emotions pour out and the sisters fight. When Lori flies to another island the next day, she’s on her own. Erin refuses to go with her. So when the small plane vanishes, Erin is tormented by memories of their last words to one another. Two years later, the pilot is discovered in Fiji, living under an alias. Erin heads back to Fiji, to the same hotel, determined to discover the truth.

The Castaways has a fantastic premise, not to mention an exotic tempting location, and it is such a fun read. The novel’s narrative is divided between ‘Erin now’ and ‘Lori then’ as we witness what happened aboard the plane and during its immediate aftermath and in the time that has passed as Erin tries to discover the truth and deal with her guilt. While we know a little more than Erin due to the book’s structure, the big mystery of those missing two years looms over the novel and I was desperate to know what happened.

The crash scene makes for traumatic reading and I have now started to rethink my dream holiday of island hopping in Fiji… Lori’s tale in the aftermath of the crash is riveting and dramatic while Erin must untangle a mystery. Both elements are compelling. The weaving together of past and present works well and the novel is very atmospheric as the two sisters, in their very different environments, reflect on their relationship, their dependence on one another and being apart. It is poignant and very sad at times.

While I thought that the conclusion fell a little short, I enjoyed The Castaways very much and read it in a day, something that I don’t do too much these days. It is very hard to put down.
This thriller had such a great premise; two sisters booked on a flight to Fiji. The night before they have a bitter argument. One makes the flight, the other does not. And then the plane crashes. From there the story is told in alternating POVs - the younger sister Erin, who has always been less organised, less decided in what she's doing with her life, and the perfect Laurie, who until recently had a plan and was following it faithfully. I don't want to give spoilers but this was a fast paced and engrossing look at the pushes and pulls between sisters even as Erin tries to discover what happened to Laurie, and how much she is to blame. Highly recommend.
This book was amazing!
I thought the plot and the setting so interesting and original.

At first the premise seems fairly straight forward but as we read on, we just become enthralled in this web of possibilities and false leads.

The characters were amazing, I loved the sisterly relationship and found the development of that relationship really interesting.
Also, the dynamics of the relationship of the passengers on the plan was fascinating.

Lucy Clarke's writing is so good. If I was to be really fussy I'd say the phrasing was slightly repetitive at times but only briefly and did not effect the reading at all. The imagery is conveyed so well and described so clearly without being overly descriptive.

I mean I could go on and on about why I loved this but really this was a five star book that you should definitely read ASAP.

Thank you to NetGalley, Harper Collins & Lucy Clarke for an eArc of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The opening of this book is really compelling and certainly had me hooked. The author has a great premise and a real knack for telling you just enough to keep you reading without giving everything away. The story of Erin's desperate and guilt-ridden search to find out what happened to her sister Lori's plane after if failed to reach its destination on an island off Fiji is powerful stuff, and a stark reminder of the people that are left to pick up the pieces when one of these disasters takes place.

There were parts of it that were hard to believe, but I think that's because the situation being described was just so unusual and out of the ordinary. The pace dropped off a bit two thirds of the way through, but the ending was certainly a twist I was not expecting. But the author did a great job of exploring the complicated dynamic of the relationship between two sisters. and her descriptions and sense of place are really strong.
Really good read. Bit of a twist at the end. Well worth reading. Might make you think about flying though.
Lori and  Erin are sisters, they have a close relationship bound by the fact that they lost their mother at a young age.
Both are at a crossroads in their life and plan a far flung holiday to an island off Fiji,
The night before they are due to fly from Fiji to the smaller island the sisters have a row and become separated. Only Lori turns up in time to catch the flight..
The plane never reaches its destination and no one knows what happened to it.
Erin spends a lot of time trying to find out it’s whereabouts and eventually she is able to piece together the story behind its disappearance.
I loved this book, I have tried not to give too much of the plot away - give it a go, you won’t want to put it down!
Literally could not put it down.  I stayed up late reading it as I just couldn't see where it was going.

Really clever thriller with so many twists and turns coming thick and fast.

The characters are great...very layered with lots of surprises.  Erin is especially interesting and it's great to explore the mystery with her.

There isn't too much to say here without spoilers and no spoilers are very important as you need to go into this knowing nothing and see it unravel...its so worth reading it in one go....highly recommended!

Thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.