Cover Image: Tell Me Lies (Detective Max Carter Book 1)

Tell Me Lies (Detective Max Carter Book 1)

FBI agent Max Carter heads up the Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team - he’s good at his job - understands the distress of being abducted, but then he should do, because Max himself was abducted as a child.

His latest case begins when mother of two and Senator’s wife, Megan Holliday, awakes to find herself slumped on her front doorstep with a note on her lap warning her “Don’t Call The Police “. Her car, and more importantly, her children who were inside it are gone!

Senator Chris Holliday meanwhile, is contacted by the abductor, and told to meet him or his children will die.

This was a complex but compelling read, that takes the reader into the murky world of politics, greed and corruption, and involving more than just the Senator’s children, as if that wasn’t bad enough!

Though a little slow at times, it was a great read, good storyline, and a strong protagonist in Max Carter.
My first book by this author. I was very curious to find out what he had in store for me. It goes without a doubt that the story has to captivate you, but the writing style can also make or break a book.

No need to worry here. I was sucked into the story straight away and the cat and mouse game was a great asset.

We all need money, but unfortunately it's also often used for less above board deals.

When children of famous parents are abducted, it often has to do with a ransom. Agent Carter is on the case and he got a lot more than he bargained for. He finds himself in the middle of a hornet's nest.

A very good start to a new series with devastating and heartbreaking moments and revelations and where the 'good ones' did not seem to be that good and you might sympathise with the 'bad ones'. 4 stars.

Thank you, Ed James and Bookouture.
This has a pretty big cast with lots of good twists. With a different writing style and some complexity, it kept me engaged. Recommended for thriller fans.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!
This is the first book in a new series featuring Detective Max Carter.  The book starts with the kidnapping of two children and soon the whole book and investigation to the kidnapping spin out of control.  Just as soon as you think you know something, whoops, the carpet is pulled from under you and you are back at square one.  I have read and loved each and everyone of Ed James's books, and I am so happy to see a new lead detective series starting here.
Highly recommended.
Awesome thriller that kept me turning the page to see how it ends.
Agent Max Carter specializes in abducted children.  When a senator's two children are abducted right from their mother in front of their home, Max is called in to find the missing children.  What he stumbles across is a web of lies, cover ups, and dirty deals that bounce from person to person in the Federal Offices.  Can he connect the dots fast enough to save the children from further being pawns in this deadly game?
While the list of characters is long, the story unfolds in such a way that moving from person to person is easy and makes sense.  Great story from beginning to end, which did have a small cliff hanger.
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Tell Me Lies is the first in a new series from Ed James featuring FBI Agent, Max Carter. It opens up with an intense, throat grabbing, gut punching scene that dragged all the emotions from me. Wow, what a start to a new book and a new series! By the end of chapter two I was having serious palpitations! Ed James certainly knows how to build the tension, it was literally oozing out of the pages!
Told from alternating POV, the kidnapper, Senator Holliday and FBI Agent, Max Carter I quickly found myself rooted firmly within each of their worlds.
As far as characters go, well, Senator Holliday, I just couldn't work out if I liked him or if I even trusted him. There's a whole load of secrets going on in this man’s life and I just wanted to scream at him to get home to his wife when the kids went missing. And of course he is caught up in the murky world of politics, where corruption and cover ups seem to be the name of the game.
Max Carter, now isn’t he just the most intriguing character, there's a whole load of issues going on with this FBI Agent and this book left me screaming for more! Max’s father keeps turning up looking for help and it soon becomes very clear that there is no love lost between the two men. We do find out a little about what has gone on in the past for Max and his father but the book leaves just enough for you to want to scream at Ed James to hurry up and get book number two in the series out there!
We do find out who the kidnapper is and while this guy was a serious bad guy there was something about him that makes the reader warm to him, you really need to read this book to find out!
Tell Me Lies is interspersed with chapters referring to the previous kidnapping which is referenced at the beginning of the book and like a jigsaw all the pieces begin to slot into place, but not so easy that the reader is able to work out what’s going on, believe me, you will be twisted into knots reading this one! The narrative paints a picture perfect scene, I've never been to Seattle yet I could see it in those pages, I tell you, I lived and breathed this book as I read it!
The pace and the tension builds right from the start of this book and when you get a chance to breathe then make sure you do. The pace matches the plot and as a reader I felt myself totally engrossed in the world inside those pages. I think I experienced everything those characters were going through, from the parental fear, to the kidnappers state of heightened tension to the frustration of the agents on the case. I was like a wrung out dishcloth by the time I was done!
Power, politics and corruption are the main themes of this book and at times I was wondering just who to believe and whose side I should be on! Tell Me Lies has all the ingredients of a cracking read; intriguing, engaging and believable characters; a bloody good plot and perfect pacing, wrap this up with a great sense of place and we are good to go! I cannot wait until the 2nd in this series! Do yourself a favour and get out there and read it now!

This review will appear on my blog as part of the blog tour in January.
Kept my attention, overall interesting. Not a lot of bad language, which is a plus for me. I always appreciate when a book is written without all of the foul language. Not super mysterious, but keeps your attention. I do appreciate the clean characters without all of the promiscuous activity. Clean entertainment. I did receive a free copy in exchange for an honest review.#TellMeLies #NetGalley
Unfortunately this book was a bit descriptive for me. I prefer my books to have a couple of storylines running consecutively that join with a big twist ending.
This book was like reading a story to my children, this happened, then this, then this etc... with no cliffhangers.
It was written well and the author has potential but I need more suspense for me to keep turning the pages. I don’t need to know every tiny detail.
Megan has everything she ever wanted; married to Senator Chris Holliday with two young children, she loves her life. Then she is attacked on her own doorstep and when she regains consciousness her children are missing, her husband isn't answering his phone, and her world is spinning out of control.

Special Agent Max Carter is leading the investigation for the Seattle FBI's Child Abduction Rapid Response Team, knowing time is always against him in high profile cases but determined to do everything in his power to return the two youngsters to their parents.

Ed James is one of my favourite authors whose books so far have always been first class so I was excited to find out he had a new series beginning with this title. I was a little concerned however, that this was a step away from his other work, which concentrates on the point of view of one main character for the most part and are set in the UK. I needn't have worried, this is brilliant from start to finish and I loved it.

Max Carter is a great protagonist, obviously with a difficult past, as the most successful main characters always do, which is slotted into the main storyline effortlessly. The story was fast paced, believable and with so many twists it kept me turning the pages way past my bedtime! The only thing I would have liked, which made no difference to the actual story to be fair, was an idea of how much time was passing.

I was able to read an advanced copy of this thanks to NetGalley and the publishers in exchange for an unbiased review and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys Ed James novels or fast moving stories which keep the tension way up. This book knocks it out of the park on every level and I can't wait for the next one.
A young Muslim student is removed from his high school by armed men. A year later, Megan Holliday arrives home and is attacked and her two children kidnapped. In the meantime, her husband Senator Christopher Holliday receives a call from the kidnappers. They want information from him in regards to an operation that he approved. FBI Special Agent Max Carter is assigned to the case while he is dealing with the anger he has towards his own father. I found this book very confusing as I never had a clear understanding as to what happened to the young Muslim boy and found it unbelievable that Christopher would ignore the FBI to deal with the kidnappers on his own. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
I never repeat the blurb. I absolutely loved James' DI Fenchurch series so snapped up the chance to read an ARC of this new series. We've hopped across to Seattle, Washington for this new series with FBI agent Max Carter. The story of a double kidnapping changes perspective throughout as the narrative swaps between the protagonists' viewpoints until a complex web of power, lies and deceit is unravelled.  Roll on the next one.
In this first book in a new series by Ed James, readers are introduced to FBI agent Max Carter. His past and family issues are touched on, and those things are imperative when it comes to seeing how hard Carter works on his cases.

Max Carter certainly does not have an easy job. As he directs the FBI's Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team, his cases are hard-hitting. Max focused on this work because he himself was abducted as a child.

His current case involves Megan Holliday's two children as they were abducted while she was drugged. It is immediately learned that her husband Christopher is a U.S. Senator. Max cannot help but have suspicious ideas from the very start. Christopher's sudden disappearance definitely raises Max's suspicion.

Tell me Lies is not for the faint of heart. It is full of danger and despair and the action starts and continues at breakneck speed. This story, often quite tragic, is an excellent first book in the new Max Carter series by Ed James. I could not put this book down, despite the devastation I felt while reading. Carter is a thorough FBI agent and I look forward to reading more of his cases in the future.

Many thanks to Bookouture and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
=
This was a thriller about  a child abduction featuring Max Carter, the FBI agent who is tasked with tracking down and finding the kidnapped children.
Senator Halliday’s two young children are snatched and his wife is left unconscious on their doorstep with a note not to contact the authorities. However she ignores this and Max’s team are called in.
Meanwhile the kidnappers contact the senator but he has a lot to hide and this complicates the abduction investigation.
This book is told from lots of different points of view, the kidnapper’s, Senator Halliday’s, Max Carter’s- in fact there are so many different characters in this story that it took all my concentration to keep track of them.
This book is a slow burner but once it got going I did enjoy reading about Max and his efforts to find the children. Many of the characters were unpleasant and I had little sympathy for them including, the Senator himself, who seemed to only care about his career and keeping his secrets.
I felt that the various points of view in the narrative did slow down the pace in the first part of the book as it took a while to work out who everyone was and what motivated them.
However by the end of the book I felt that my interest had been sufficiently piqued and I would give book 2 a try when it is published.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for my arc in exchange for an honest review.
This slow burn story was one that I am kind of torn with.  Parts I liked and others I didn't. The story was a little slower than I normally like so that took some of the enjoyment out of this one.  The multi POVs were a little too much in this one as well. I had issues keeping track of everyone and felt lost a lot of the time.  The pacing was off and well in the long run I just don't think this one was for me.
Having read some of Ed’s previous books I was looking forward to reading this. I wasn’t disappointed, plenty of twists to keep me engrossed with a helping of revenge and corruption. I can’t wait for the next instalment.
Tell Me Lies opens with two kidnappings: The first, of a boy a couple of years in the past; the second of 2 children in the present. Their mom immediately calls the police. Their dad, U.S. senator Holliday, ignores the FBI's calls to come to talk to them. Instead, he goes off on his own to meet the kidnapper. What does he have to hide?

The novel alternates between several points of view: the senator, the FBI agent, and the kidnapper. What does the kidnapper want? What is the senator hiding? And can Max Carter figure it all out in time to save the senator's kids?

I liked the characters and the story, though I wish that there had been more focus on Carter. I found the rapid flipping of points of view disruptive to the narrative. Had the story not been so compelling, I would have stopped. I hope that the next Max Carter book (which "Book 1" presumes) focuses more on Max and dispells with the multiple POVs. Because Ed James writes well and tells a great story.
Megan Holliday is married to a US Senator they have two children a girl and a boy.  Megan takes her children out on return to their home Megan gets out of her car and is attacked by a man who injects a sleeping drug into her neck, he leaves her sitting by her front door with a note on her lap saying don’t call the police. The same stranger kidnaps both of her children.  She does call the police and Max Carter a leading FBI officer with the Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team is given the case.  Max has a bad relationship with his father and does not stop until he has found abducted children.  As this case involves a Senator it is not a straight forward abduction.
I have read other books by the author but I must say that I really enjoyed this book, it's fast paced with lots of twists that I had no idea where it  was going to end and that's what I love most about reading. I'm already looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Let me say that I enjoy the writing of Ed James and especially the excellent DI Fenchurch series. But unfortunately I struggled to feel the same about this new series featuring Detective Max Carter. Admittedly the more I read the more I did enjoy it so maybe for me it is a slow burner and with my prior knowledge of the authors writing would certainly give the series another chance.
Megan Holliday's world is crushed when she has her two children abducted and against the kidnappers advice decides to call the police. FBI agent Max Carter is in charge of the case, who himself was once abducted himself so knows all about these types of crime. Megan's husband is senator Holliday so the case is never going to be straight forward and when he is contacted by the abductor and told to meet him or his two kids will die he feels he has no other option.
The more I write and reflect about this book the more I feel that I may have been a little harsh.

I would like to thank both Net Galley and Bookouture for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
.wow,What a book, revenge,corruption,death,politics. Max Carter certainly had his hands full with this one. Loved it. Can't wait for the next one.