The Good Mother

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

I found the topic of the interesting and I liked to reading this story from different points of views: Amy, Rachel and Charlotte. Unfortunately characters were really unlikable. Amy was really mean and manipulative person which was kind of to be expected. but I also didn't like Charlotte.
To sum up I found this book entertaining and pleasant to read. I just wishes I could root for some characters.
Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for providing me copy of this book in exchange for honest review.
Thank you, Inkubator Books, for the ARC I received via NetGalley!

At the age of eleven, sick in bed with bronchitis, Amy witnesses something no child should be exposed to, and it forever changes the way she sees the world and her role in it. It informs her every decision, fills her both with dread and with determination to be someone different, someone these things don't happen to.

The Good Mother is a gripping thriller set in suburbia, where soccer moms reign supreme and seem to make the rules about what's right or wrong, how to dress, who to talk to, and who gets to fit in. And Charlotte appears to them to stand out like a sore thumb. A single mother in a community where family is sacred is simply unforgivable. From the very first moment Amy sets eyes on her, she knows they're just not going to get along.

Charlotte, on the other hand, wants nothing but a chance for herself and her daughter to heal, a fresh start. Finding hostility and violence when she hoped for peace and acceptance comes as a blow that tests her patience and resolve.

The third voice we hear is that of Rachel, Amy's timid friend, torn between the need to be a part of the pack and nursing her insecurities that make her different from the other soccer moms.

The arrival of Charlotte coincides with a murder/rape case that shakes up the tranquil community and marks the beginning of the end for Amy, who feels inexorably drawn to reliving her painful past and terrified of going through another living nightmare. As the tension between the families escalates, secrets are revealed and suppressed passions start raging.

What is particularly intriguing in this book is how the author effortlessly switches between the voices and perspectives of three very different women, each thought carefully piecing the puzzle together.

I particularly enjoyed Charlotte's approach to art and the believable portrayal of the characters. Despite some slight continuity errors, this is an exciting read with an enjoyable twist, exploring motives of belonging, friendship, marriage, violence, betrayal...and lots of girl soccer!
I really enjoyed reading this book in my opinion it’s not a psychological thriller. The characters were good although annoying at times. The setting was great, the plot was intriguing and liked the style of writing as it was easy to get into. I have ‘the good neighbor’ in my list of books to read, Which I’ll be reading next. I will keep my eye out for more books by this author in the future.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.
This was terrible, sorry. I really couldn't get into it because the characters are absolutely horrible. I know this was done on purpose so that we wouldn't like Amy or Rachel, but I felt as if the author did a poor job of making even Charlotte likeable. The men had no personality whatsoever, the women were all the same and I'm so tired of the crazy woman trope. Amy needed therapy from the get go and the fact that none of her friends or even her husband suggested that to her blew my mind. The story was boring as well and I don't think I'll ever read anything from Cathryn Grant again.
It's really hard to categorise this book. In my opinion it is not really a psychological thriller, more an example of the effects of undiagnosed ptsd. Each of the women had very different histories and experiences but each in her own way had insecurities that shaped how her life was played out. This was a book that really made me think and I believe it would be an excellent choice for discussion by a book group etc. It wasn't at all what I expected but I really did enjoy it.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I will be posting a full review to Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram.
Definitely akin to Leanne Moriarty but without the hype and expectation. This book was rather representative of the little groups that form in the playground. It's amazing what people do when their friends are doing it too. Uncomfortable reading at times, but that's the point. A well written book. Recommended.
Read this in 1 day while on vacation. I will be reading more from Ms Grant. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next
Read this book before you have kids, it is deeply disturbing and definitely makes you question your abilities as a parent and what others might think if they had an inside look at all the choices you have ever made concerning your children.
What Secrets Lie Behind The Facade....?
What secrets lie behind the facade of Amy’s seemingly perfect life? Psychological suspense exploring some difficult themes. A tense, slow burn of a read with a, perhaps, surprising twist.
I love Thrillers so when I received an opportunity to read this book via Netgalley, I was excited. The main characters Charlotte, who moved to the suburbs from a city with her daughter. Is she becomes friends with a group of women with an exception of one, Amy, who takes exception to Charlotte's presence and sets out to make her life miserable. This is a solid, yet predictable book, so it didn't grab me as much as I wanted it to. I do, however, recommend it. It is a good, quick read.

I would like to thank the author, publisher, Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
the good mother terrified me. i want to bea good mother. am i? i guess compared to this book anyone is! my parents aren't here, but i'm glad i read this anyway.
A really good edge of your seat thriller, kept me gripped the whole way through and was strongly written with good characters. Look forward to seeing more from this author.
I found this book a little far-fetched and predictable in places. Nevertheless an interesting read Nice to hear the traditional Irish names. .
I really enjoyed this and would definitely rate it as a page turner. Can see from other reviews that it was a bit hit and miss but I really enjoyed it. It was a strong storyline with engaging characters and the ending had a twist that you didn't see coming.

If you enjoy thrillers with a modern, family theme then this would definitely be recommended.

Thank you Inkubator Books and NetGalley.
My first book by author Cathryn Grant and I felt like I was watching a movie. Each chapter kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I loved seeing each person expose themselves a little more.

When a friend was lost loyalties were tested. Waiting to see who was going to break first kept me geared up and anxious to finish the book. Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book
A must read novel. I devoured it and it's broken my reading drought. An author, in this competitive genre who will no doubt rise high.
Really enjoyed this book thank you. Vibrant, believable, characters and an absorbing plot. I will ensure I look out for this author in the future!
I want to start off by saying thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book, it was a very good read easy to follow along with storyline and characters. This was a new author for me but I very much enjoyed it, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading more by this author again. I highly recommend this book to everybody.
If you like Lianne Moriarty this is a great read. A fun, well-written thriller.

Many thanks to the author, the publisher, and NetGalley for my ARC. All opinions are my own.