Cover Image: The Good Mother

The Good Mother

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this title.

This ended up being just and average thriller.
Not my typical genre. I was intrigued and was not disappointed. It kept my interest throughout and i liked the writing style. I would read more books by this author.
This psychological thriller will have you hooked from the very beginning. I found myself reaching for this book every free chance I got. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.  This is a must read! The soccer mom clique drama, town gossip, and just plain craziness will keep you on your toes while reading. This book should be made into a movie or tv series!

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced copy!
This one took me forever to finish. I just don't know why. It felt dragged and slow. The plot is not bad. Maybe it's just me, but it wasn't my favorite read.
So many twists and turns. This book kept me on the edge of my seat. Throwing in surprises and twists. It was brilliant
felt so sorry for the leading charachter but it shows no matter what your begginings in life you can change your future.
This was an easy to read thriller thaylt kept my attention all the way through! Lots of twists and surprises I didn't see coming. Very good, would recommend! Bloody brilliant!
The cover doesn't lie: the twist is as shocking as they come. Usually, they are hard to predict, but this one caught me completely off guard. Highly recommend for mystery lovers!
With thanks to Netgalley and incubator books.

Sadly The Good Mother didn't hold my attention all that much and I found myself having to put in the effort to finish this book.

I'm sure The Good Mother will be ad has been enjoyed by other readers but it's just not for me.
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. For me this book was a bit slow all the way through. I really wanted to love it unfortunately I did not.
The Good Mother tells the story of Charlotte, Amy, and Rachel in alternate narrative. Charlotte moves to town after her boyfriend and father to her 10yo daughter, Meadow is arrested. She is trying to get away and start fresh.

Amy is the perfectly put together mother and wife who has anxiety issues from her mothers rape she saw happen when she was a girl.

Rachel and Amy best friends. Their children go to school together and are on the same soccer team. Along with their other two friends of 10 years.

Charlotte is different and dresses more revealing. Amy takes an instant dislike to her. This takes a spiraling turn of the friends and they start to separate. There is a guy going around raping women, a stabbing, and a death.

This was interesting enough to keep me coming back. I really disliked Amy even trying to understand her situation and reasoning. She was so paranoid and hateful. I'm still confused about the death and not sure how the end is so easily wrapped up. It doesn't really add up. How do they justify her being at the house? Overall, I it was good. Not as good as it could have been though.
I dont think I've ever been so infuriated by every character in one book. I get when characters are meant to be made unlikable but I couldn't find one redeemable thing from any of them, especially Amy who, although I do understand how her past influenced her, she was just overall a horrendous person.

I think this story was meant to be a slight examination of rape culture and how it affected each person differently between their actions and their viewpoints but I dont think it came across the way it should. There was so much victim blaming and although there was some discussion from other characters again it was all about Amy and it seemed her option was the one that was being pushed constantly throughout the book.

Unfortunately this one just wasn't for me even though I was looking forward to it.
I don’t think there’s any other topic that I love reading about more than the depths of the human mind and all the ways insanity might manifest itself. Not the very obvious craziness spikes my interest, but the hidden one, the one that lurks for years undetected, showing only small, occasional red flags that the other characters are able to ignore easily. I don’t have words to explain how hooked The Good Mother kept me from the first to the last page because that’s exactly what it delivers: an apparent normal and perfect life that slowly develops into a crescendo of madness.

The storyline is nothing out of the ordinary: the “heaven on earth” suburban community, a circle of perfect mothers, secretly competing with each other for the title of the slimmest and best dressed house wife, for the prettiest pedicure or for the most delicious home baked cookies. Everything is normal, ideal, all rainbows, butterflies and unicorns. But the moment an eccentric mother disturbs the peaceful neighborhood, those perfectly manicured nails turn into ugly claws, ready to rip apart anyone who threatens to destroy their shiny painting.

Although multifaceted, most of the characters are dominated by one particular trait or event that shapes and contours their behavior: deep insecurity, childhood trauma, anxiety, rebellion, placidity, snobbishness, etc. And the author does a wonderful job in portraying her characters based on those features, but without compromising any of their complexity. If, in the beginning, these traits are just finely hinted, they start escalating in the same time with the evolution of the storyline, sometimes reaching a point where they shock you so badly that you have to read a sentence twice in order to comprehend the magnitude of what just happened.

I loved the fact that the author surprises the points of view of both sides so this way, none of the characters gets caught in a hero or villain role. Yes, looking at the situation from an outside perspective, things are pretty clear regarding who’s the good one and the bad one in the story. But entering the minds of multiple characters makes you less tempted to judge too harshly and allows you to analyze how many sides each random, small fact can have.

I read the book with thirst, with voracity. I’m always equally disturbed, intrigued and fascinated by any kind of behavior that I find irrational, lacking basic common sense, understanding or empathy. The Good Mother fed me with exactly this type of demeanor and interactions, keeping the adrenaline level at maximum levels.
This was a good domestic thriller that examines the long lasting effect of trauma. I found the 3 perspectives well balanced. I really love books with multiple POV! I would definitely recommend this one!
I found the topic of the interesting and I liked to reading this story from different points of views: Amy, Rachel and Charlotte. Unfortunately characters were really unlikable. Amy was really mean and manipulative person which was kind of to be expected. but I also didn't like Charlotte.
To sum up I found this book entertaining and pleasant to read. I just wishes I could root for some characters.
Thank you to NetGalley and publisher for providing me copy of this book in exchange for honest review.
Thank you, Inkubator Books, for the ARC I received via NetGalley!

At the age of eleven, sick in bed with bronchitis, Amy witnesses something no child should be exposed to, and it forever changes the way she sees the world and her role in it. It informs her every decision, fills her both with dread and with determination to be someone different, someone these things don't happen to.

The Good Mother is a gripping thriller set in suburbia, where soccer moms reign supreme and seem to make the rules about what's right or wrong, how to dress, who to talk to, and who gets to fit in. And Charlotte appears to them to stand out like a sore thumb. A single mother in a community where family is sacred is simply unforgivable. From the very first moment Amy sets eyes on her, she knows they're just not going to get along.

Charlotte, on the other hand, wants nothing but a chance for herself and her daughter to heal, a fresh start. Finding hostility and violence when she hoped for peace and acceptance comes as a blow that tests her patience and resolve.

The third voice we hear is that of Rachel, Amy's timid friend, torn between the need to be a part of the pack and nursing her insecurities that make her different from the other soccer moms.

The arrival of Charlotte coincides with a murder/rape case that shakes up the tranquil community and marks the beginning of the end for Amy, who feels inexorably drawn to reliving her painful past and terrified of going through another living nightmare. As the tension between the families escalates, secrets are revealed and suppressed passions start raging.

What is particularly intriguing in this book is how the author effortlessly switches between the voices and perspectives of three very different women, each thought carefully piecing the puzzle together.

I particularly enjoyed Charlotte's approach to art and the believable portrayal of the characters. Despite some slight continuity errors, this is an exciting read with an enjoyable twist, exploring motives of belonging, friendship, marriage, violence, betrayal...and lots of girl soccer!
I really enjoyed reading this book in my opinion it’s not a psychological thriller. The characters were good although annoying at times. The setting was great, the plot was intriguing and liked the style of writing as it was easy to get into. I have ‘the good neighbor’ in my list of books to read, Which I’ll be reading next. I will keep my eye out for more books by this author in the future.
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.
This was terrible, sorry. I really couldn't get into it because the characters are absolutely horrible. I know this was done on purpose so that we wouldn't like Amy or Rachel, but I felt as if the author did a poor job of making even Charlotte likeable. The men had no personality whatsoever, the women were all the same and I'm so tired of the crazy woman trope. Amy needed therapy from the get go and the fact that none of her friends or even her husband suggested that to her blew my mind. The story was boring as well and I don't think I'll ever read anything from Cathryn Grant again.
It's really hard to categorise this book. In my opinion it is not really a psychological thriller, more an example of the effects of undiagnosed ptsd. Each of the women had very different histories and experiences but each in her own way had insecurities that shaped how her life was played out. This was a book that really made me think and I believe it would be an excellent choice for discussion by a book group etc. It wasn't at all what I expected but I really did enjoy it.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this. I will be posting a full review to Goodreads, Amazon, and Instagram.