The Duke's Embrace

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Dec 2019

This is Eve Shelling and Sebastian le Duc’s story, seventh in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series; a standalone, happily ever after, no cheating, historical romance with sizzle.
This is a novella, thus, not enough time to develop the storyline and characters to my liking. Maybe it was the laissez-faire attitude to the smuggling that bothered me the most.
I received an electronic copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest opinion.
“The Duke’s Embrace”  (12 Dukes of Christmas #7)” by Erica Ridley.

Another whimsical tale for the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. Although a good stand alone book.

For years Eve Shelling wanted to write news worthy articles, become a renowned journalist and move to London. However being the sole typesetter, the entire writing staff, and one half of the printing team at her father’s Cressmouth Gazette can only get you so far. She just needs one good story. One story that would push her to her dreams. If only her father would allow her to write something other than frothy and wholesome Christmas adverts and articles.

Monsieur Sébastien le Duc (Bastien), the local smithy, and his brother miss their home in France and no longer have any debts holding them back to return home. Except their side hustle of an illegal importing business of brandy and champagne has fallen through. This has left them penniless and no way to support themselves when they do return home. Bastien comes up with a plan to sell their business property.

In an unexpected meeting of the two main characters, Bastien assists Eve with an article.
It becomes a favor for a favor. Which turns to love.

When Eve find out about the illegal importation business - will she decide to write her news worthy story or will she not?

Star rating: ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ and 1/2

[** I received a copy of “The Duke’s Embrace”  (12 Dukes of Christmas #7) by Erica Ridley via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to publishers and Netgallery for the opportunity to review this book.]
#12Dukes #NetGalley
Erica's books are always very well received, they add a touch of joy and romance to life, and if they are predictable, it is in a good way, as one reads with the knowledge that good will triumph and love and happiness will eventually fill the lives of the protagonists, after they surmount the trials placed in their path.
Well written and pacy, a great way to spend a few hours enjoying the lighter and kinder side of life.
I love Erica Ridley’s writing style and this book did not disappoint.  The characters were very likeable and well defined.  My only complaint is that it wasn’t long enough.
Many thanks to WebMotion and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
What I adore about Ridley's regency stories is how she puts unique story twists into a period of time that should be restrictive. In this story our heroine is struggling with being a true journalist in her local holiday periodical. She is fighting against her Fathers's rules but she can't help following through on a smuggling story involving two very sexy brothers.

Her choices will effect her professional and love life
A very different setting then the norm in this novella. While I found it enjoyable , The storyline was very different then expected. Which in some ways was good... others I struggled in certain parts of the book to have my attention held. Certainly worth a read for it is written by a talented author. A light enjoyable read overall. I was given this book via NetGalley. All opinions expressed here are my own. Regards
I have thoroughly enjoyed the 12 Dukes of Christmas, and still have a few left to read, it's another wonderful mix of romance and humour with a healthy mix of engaging characters, some more outrageous than others. The more I read about the town the more I wish it was a real place.
Erica does it yet again.
This story, part of the 12 Duke's of Christmas series, is on par with all the stories in the series.  I highly recommend this as well as the others in the series if you enjoy engaging characters, interesting story lines and all around good fun.
Thank you Erica Ridley, WebMotion and NetGalley for allowing me this advance copy in exchange for my honest feedback.
Ms. Ridley’s Cressmouth and its citizens have provided delightful romances that are light hearted and enjoyable around Christmas.  I have loved how each of the male leads/heroes have some ducal connection or name.

Eve, our sweet female hero is just a normal working-class woman still under the protection of her father even though she is an adult.  Her father owns the local paper even though Eve seems to do all the work.  She must get approval from him on everything. Eve is a strong person who has had her share of mistakes but wants to do what is right.

Sebastian and his brother just want to return to France and try to get their family lands back.  Eve kind of gets in the way of that plan.

The Duke’s Embrace is another great Ridley addition to the 12 Dukes of Christmas series.
The Duke's Embrace is the 7th book in the 12 Dukes of Christmas series. If you have read the others you will know what to expect. If you haven't read any in this series you will be in for a treat. This series features strong women, passion, dukes and Christmas time...whats not to like?

I received this ARC for my honest review.
This book reminds us that while it might be fun to read these stories, it couldn't have been very fun to live in the actual time (which is why I can not stand time travel stories that strand women in the past, where are the stories that bring a lady from that time and strand her in the present and watch her blossom with all the freedoms and opportunity she could have).
I voluntarily read this ARC for an honest review
All thoughts and opinions are mine

I love Erica Ridley's books and this is another in a series so was so pleased to be able to read this

a Christmas theme which I so enjoyed

Great characters, loved the story

A great, quick read
I enjoyed this book. I like the author so it was an auto buy for me. The author writes a great love story. I love the historical romances. This is a good one.
Another Christmassy book which I read just after Christmas, so it felt a little strange reading this, but never mind!

I loved the chemistry between the two main characters Eve and Sebastien. I felt it was perhaps a little predictable but sometimes it's nice to have that! There was a it of mystery behind the characters which I really enjoyed.

As this was only a novella, I felt there may have been parts of the story which could have been expanded a little, but the majority of it was explored and described appropriately.

This is part of a 12 part series of stories 12 Dukes of Christmas, which I have made a note to explore at a later date.

This is another story which I've added to my "read this next Christmas" list, because I really believe this would be a lot better at the appropriate time of year!
"About what you expect" which sounds harsh, but really isn't.   There were no major surprises in this one and some of the character dynamics were wonderful (the brothers' interactions were humorous!)  Other aspects seemed rushed or didn't include quite enough detail.  It's a typically-enjoyable seasonal historical romance with witty, likeable characters, some heat, some conflict, and of course, a happily-ever-after.   Not necessarily a prize-winner, but a quick and enjoyable escape from reality.
Eve Shelling is a journalist. She is determined to make her family's paper readable.
She does not want the paper to be the same old boring news.
Her father has decided that Eve may only write what he deems appropriate.

Sebastien Le Duc is a very handsome and talented blacksmith. His family is determined to return to France. His sister married an Englishman but Sebastien and his brother Lucien are planning on returning.

When Eve is given permission to write an additional column about an English family in Crestmouth, she decides that she wants to focus on the blacksmith's family. Even though they are french, she does not see how her father could object to such upstanding pillars of the community.
As she learns more about Sebastien, and Sebastien starts to learn more about her their attachment starts to grow. Can Eve and Sebastian make a relationship work?
Another interesting story in this series. Eve and Bastien are delightful together and it is obvious from the start where their passion will lead. I was a bit baffled at the relationship between Eve and her father; he is overly strict, but she has the freedom to roam the village and sleep in the printing press. The ending felt a bit rushed and her conflict was turned around with dizzying speed. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series
I absolutely loved Eve and Sebastien's story!  Sebastien struggles with wanting to return home to France and his budding relationship with local journalist Eve Shelling.  This was a perfect Christmas novella!

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC provided by NetGalley and the author.  Thank you!
We always buy Erica Ridley for our library.  The 12 Dukes of Christmas is a delightful series that can be read in any  order.
A perfect Christmas Historical Romance.
The women empowerment is strong in this one.
Eve is a journalist, or at least she's trying to, since she's the manager, writer and printer of the Gazette her father owns. Said father is overprotective and he decides which content may go in the journal, focusing on their town, specifically in Christmas in they town. But Eve wants to report real news and become a serious journalist, whatever it takes.
Sebastien le Duc is a blacksmith and a French refugee from the Revolution. He and his sibling want to go back to their country asap, and that Christmas it may be possible. Only if they manage to sell their smithy. And here enters the help of Eve and the Gazette.
When Sebastien and Eve start interacting, sparks fly, and everyone's plans are not so clear anymore.
This was really nice, and really fast paced, and you could totally feel the sizzling chemistry between the main character.
Their relationship, since their acquaintance to their friendship to something more, is really healthy, passionate but with strong companionship and support, specifically from Bastien to Eve and her wants and dreams. And Eve is a really empowering character who stands for what he wants and learns to be considerate of other people feelings, and her own.
And there's a cool dog which complements the story perfectly.
All the cute Christmas feels.