The Boy from the Woods

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A very clever and intriguing plot. Great characters  and you are led a merry go  round of who, where and what ! From loners to friends and feisty grandma’s you hooked.  Feels like Wilde May appear again at some point , Hope so.
This was the first Harlan Coben book I read and now I see why his books are so popular!  A thrilling read, this book begins with a child, given the name 'Wilde', discovered in the woods living a feral existence thirty years before.  In the present, we hear the tale of a missing child and criminal attorney Hester Crimstein and a grown up Wilde's efforts to find them while exposing the town's secrets.  There are many interesting characters, secrets, politics, and twists, overall giving an enthralling read.
As an avid reader it’s amazing that I’ve never read any of this authors book before! I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was fast paced with interesting characters and a story line that kept me wanting more! Read 50% in one sitting! Will definitely come back to this author again.
#TheBoyFromTheWoods #NetGalley
A good read. Its really awesome.
Thirty years ago, a child was found in the New Jersey backwoods.

He had been living a feral existence, with no memory of how he got there or even who he is. Everyone just calls him Wilde.
Now a former soldier and security expert, he lives off the grid, shunned by the community – until they need him.A child has gone missing. With her family suspecting she’s just playing a disappearing game, nobody seems concerned except for criminal attorney Hester Crimstein. She contacts Wilde, asking him to use his unique skills to find the girl.But even he can find no trace of her. One day passes, then a second, then a third.On the fourth, a human finger shows up in the mail.
Thanks to NetGalley and Random House UK Cornerstone for giving me an advance copy.
Wow! Before this I was a Harlen Coban virgin, but after reading this I definitely want more! This was absolutely explosive & I couldn't put it down. Given what's been going on with Trump & or very own Prince Andrew of late or seemed quite appropriate. It just goes to show that those in power think they have the right & authority to do whatever they please (and get away with it!) Loved the character of Wilde & his eco friendly home sounded fab.
Superb! I love Hester and Wilde and this story was awesome. A fresh, gripping page turner with plenty of twists in the tale, what more could you ask for in a crime thriller?
I have never read anything from this author before but enjoyed this book and will look out for other books that he has written.  I enjoyed the story but feel there are some loose ends in respect of Wilde and his past.  Will he feature in another book and follow up on his contact regarding his DNA test?
4.5 stars. Another cracking read from Harlan who’s one of my top authors ever. His books never disappoint and I absolutely loved the whole storyline behind this one and how it all tied together. Loved the character Wilde and hope to see more of him in the future and to hear his background
Harlan Coben never disappoints, this book is a brilliant read, gripping from start to finish, can't wait to read his next one
Can’t beat Harlan Coben for taut, well-paced thrillers that zip along without skimping on character exposition so you’re not just reading a series of ‘events’.
Wow fantastic book! Written with the usual Harlan flair. Also great to see the book bringing characters from previous books. Great can’t wait for his next book also maybe another about Wilde don’t think his story has even started yet.

Highly recommend
Another strong thriller from a reliable author with what i hope will become a regular hero, Wilde was discovered living feral in the woods but as an adult he's become an excellent investigator whilst still living off the grid.  He is asked to help find a missing girl but is she really missing?  Solid good read.
This is the second Harlan Coben novel that I have read, having had the pleasure to read Run Away last year. What I really like about Coben's writing is the pace at which things happen. There's no waiting around or switching to a red herring sub plot - there's a lot going on, all of the time.

The Boy from the Woods is another great example of this. Even with the set up / prologue to the main story there's a lot to take in, from the young boy seemingly found living in the forest to the outsider teenage girl at the mercy of school bullies. From the word go, it's all going on, with a host of key characters to love and hate, including Hester Crimstein, the feisty lawyer who pops up in other Coben novels.

The storyline does get a little far fetched at times, with abduction and secret blackmail tapes, but this doesn't make the book any less of a good read. You'll race to the finish!
A gripping thriller with an interesting plot about politics and rich people that are willing to do anything and everything to hide some secrets or even the truth from the eyes of anyone who’s trying to show the real facade of them and all the lies that stays behind them.
There are many characters, each one bringing a new layer of mystery and twists with each scene. The main character though is Wilde, a boy found in the woods at around 6 years old, that has no recognition of what happened in his past, nor does he know who his family is or anything else. He is placed into a foster care family, growing up to become a private security man after giving up his assignments in the army. He still has a strong bond with nature and denies to give up at his place in the woods.
There are so many layers to discover in this book. Real-life politics and families that go through a lot in their life from the list of a husband to the disappearance of a young girl that just vanished after being the target of bullying and judging by her school colleagues.
It’s a very atmospheric thriller with many twists and turns and I highly recommend it.
A well written thriller by Harlan Coben
It involves Wilde who grew up in the woods and he and Hester, a criminal lawyer trying to find a missing girl
Recommended book which was a delight to read .Thanks to Netgalley for an Arc.
Wilde was found living feral in the woods when he was a young boy and has no memory of his past or even his name. He became friends with a boy called David and was then taken into foster care.
Many years later he is asked by David’s son to look for for a girl in his class that has gone missing.
This is the first book by this author that I have read and I really enjoyed it, especially all the different characters.
I will be looking to read more of his books.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for my e-copy in exchange for an honest
Took me a wee while to get into this book but I persevered and made it to the end. I didnt love it but ended up enjoying it well enough.   I have read a lot of Harlan books but not familiar with this series.  Enjoyed Wolfe's character and the posh spoiled boy, nice intertwining storyline.
The story starts with a boy who has been living in the woods for many years, they call him Wilde for obvious reasons.  When he came out of the woods he became a soldier and after leaving the services he set up a business as a security consultant.   During this time he worked with Hester Crimstein,  a child goes missing a Hester brings Wilde in to help.  Great thriller with all the surprises you expect from Harlan Coben.
In 1986 a couple of hikers in the Ramapo Mountain State Forest found a boy who, it seems, had be living wild. He was unschooled and had no memory of life before the the forest. Jump forward thirty-four years and the man that was this boy has grown into an intelligent, educated man who has operated as a private investigator. In fact, Wilde, as he’s now known, set up his own company in partnership with his foster-sister some while back. He now lives in portable accommodation in the forest in which he was found. He has trouble sleeping in large structures so this existence suits him.

Hester Crimstein is a lawyer and a television personality and when she learns from her grandson, Matthew, that a girl in his class has gone missing she turns to Wilde for help. Wilde is known to Hester through his friendship with her late son who was tragically killed in a road accident. Naomi Pine, the missing girl, had been a victim of bullying at the school and Matthew, although not an obvious participant in this, may have been peripherally involved. Soon Wilde’s investigations start to turn up a spider’s web of links and possible motives for Naomi’s disappearance. Before long the whole affair has grown legs and has potential implications for a huge range of people up to and including a politician with aspirations of ascending all the way to the White House.

I found this to be a really slow burner and I was something like three-quarters of the way through before I became really interested in the outcome. The the only character fully developed here is Wilde: I bought into his personal story and found that my interest picked up whenever he was centre stage. Hester, Matthew, Naomi and the rest failed to convince me, each being either under-developed or what felt like a caricature of someone we’ve all seen on television or in the popular press. And the story itself really doesn’t pick up any pace until the final section. The denouement, when it comes, tidies up all the loose ends a little too neatly, somewhat in the style of a made for television movie.

I’ve read better books from this author and though I never felt I wasn’t going to complete reading the whole story I wasn’t champing at the bit to pick it up again at any stage – except when it was edging close to it’s climactic ending. There’s a lot going on here and I wouldn’t be surprised to see this one made into a film at some point, but it won’t be my favourite mystery of the year.
When you're an author as prolific and inventive as Harlan Coben you set extremely high standards. I have read most of his books and love the red herrings and thrills that are synonymous with this excellent writer.

With this book, I am in 2 minds. Firstly, it's well structured, has great characters and lots of twists and turns, it's also well concluded. However, for me, it is also a tad 'flat'. The 'boy from the woods' of the title, is someone who was discovered as a child, having been living in the woods, alone, for a good few years. This element of the story isn't satisfactorily concluded and I can only imagine he'll turn up in a future book and more will emerge.

Having said that, it's an easy, enjoyable read, as one would expect. Perfect holiday / beach or plane reading and an overall  3* 'good' read.

Thanks to NetGalley, Random House UK, Cornerstone for the opportunity to preview this book in exchange for my honest review.