The Leaving Party

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

I really enjoyed this book and it kept me guessing.  Definitely another author for my must read list.
Recommended read.
Every year on the same day, on the anniversary, she receive a single black rose.
No one knows the real reason she is desperate to leave.
No one knows what she is running from.
Someone knows what she did.
Someone knows her secret. They’re in her home, they're at her's party, and they’re making her pay for it.
This is my first book by this author and i would love to check more of her work.
It was an interesting psychological thriller with some good twist.
Thank you Netgalley for the opportunity to read this book!
The story is about two friends Lens & Ave who have been friends since secondary school. Something happened at a party in 2005.
This story switches from the present to 2005.
In the present Lena is throwing a party for Ava who is leaving to go to go to America to be with her boyfriend.
Throughout the party strange things start happening .
Ava hasn't told anyone but on the anniversary of the incident she receives a black rose .
And today she has received a rose and a cake.
Somebody is out for her.
Who is doing this to her.
Is Lena her friend or for
Good read
Thanks NetGalley
My first book by this author, I'll definitely read more! I found this an addictive interesting story.
Ava and Lena have been friends for decades.  So close, that after an accident 13 years ago, Lena moves in with Ava's family and becomes like a sister to her.

Now Ava is on her way to the US and Lena isn't sure she wants to be apart from Ava.  She decides to throw Ava one last going away party on the eve of her departure.

This book is told between alternating viewpoints of Ava and Lena, and also through a flashback to the night of the accident 13 years ago.

Usually, flashbacks or multiple viewpoints throughout the story don't bother me.  This book, however, took me an extraordinarily long time to get through.  The plot did not capture my attention like I hoped it would.  The characters did not drag me in.  And the storyline dragged on longer than necessary.  I kept at it, though, in hopes that the ending would pay off.  Unfortunately, it didn't pay off for me.

Thank you, NetGalley, for the advanced e-copy in exchange for my honest review.
3.5 stars
An interesting psychological thriller that kept me on the edge for half of the book but the other half was very predictable for me and a slower pace that I would have wished for.
Ugh. It’s not bad but it’s nothing new.

I really enjoyed The Orchid Girls but haven’t been enthralled by anything since by this author. I need to take a break from the thriller category I think. I am just finding that I’m not seeing anything that really grips me lately. That being said, you should probably take this review with a grain of salt, getting jaded.

The characters voices were not distinct enough. Their thoughts, not actions, were too abundant. I felt as though I should have been on edge through this ride but I wasn’t. I didn’t get invested enough.

The ending is not bad but something I feel like I have run across a bit too much lately. I would suggest you try this for yourself as many have enjoyed it and I think I’m getting burned out on this genre.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Bookouture for a copy in exchange for a review.
i loved the way this book was written. It was so unpredictable. It had me guessing right to the end. I loved the plot and i could really connect with the characters. Alth0ugh i guessed it early on and still kept my interest.
This book definitely kept me on the edge of my seat, I had no idea what was going on until the very end! I kept guessing but then would be proven wrong a few pages later... loved the unpredictable nature  of this story!
Ava is leaving England to head to the US with her fiance Ben. Her best friend Lena is heartbroken but determined to throw her a leaving party she’ll never forget. Except that Ava is also leaving to escape the memory of her past, haunted by a death and the black roses that arrive every year of the anniversary…
This is a fascinating psychological novel and I really had no idea who to trust, just like Ava. Lena’s behaviour is clingy and she becomes increasingly desperate to stay close to Ava. Meanwhile Ava’s estranged sister makes the effort to build bridges and rekindle their sibling relationship. Ava is also waiting anxiously for her fiance Ben to join the party, concerned he may be having second thoughts about living together in the US.
The majority of the book is told through the eyes of Ava or Lena on the night of the leaving party but these are interspersed with chapters set at another party in 2005. I love that all the action and events are just two nights, yet it doesn’t feel contrived or lengthy.
I felt a strong emotional connection with both Ava and Lena and could sympathise with them both. Lena’s desperation and manipulation is caused by her sad home life as a teenager and Ava’s family fostered her. Ava feels trapped and ready for a change but also guilty as she leaves Lena behind.
The plot develops slowly and steadily over the course of the book and author Lesley Sanderson keeps her readers guessing. I suspected everyone of trying to derail Ava’s happiness as they all seemed to be acting suspiciously!
This was my first book by this author. It was a very interesting one and sure had me wanting to know what happened next. I did figure out who was doing what with the exception of someone’s little sister. That part got me. The best friend is not always who they seem to be. But a best friend will always be there for you. Won’t they.

This is a story of two best friends who experienced a tragedy thirteen years ago. A girl was killed and one was hurt badly. One saved her best friend. It’s told from two different people’s view and from the two timelines. From the past when the accident happened and the present when the party happened. Ava is moving far away to be with her boyfriend, Ben. Her best friend, Lena, doesn’t want her to leave but is also happy for her. At least she wants to be. She honestly does not want to loose Ava but doesn’t know what to do to keep her from going. She throws Ava a huge going away party and the fun begins. At least the mysteries and the stories.

This book didn’t really have any likable characters in it for me. Though it was a good story and kept me wanting to read more, it just didn’t have any characters that I liked. Lena was to needed and Ava seemed to be afraid of her own shadow and totally did not have a mind of her own. Whether it was Lena or Ava’s sister, Martha. One of them was constantly taking Ava by the hand and telling her what to do and how to feel. And with all the alcohol they drank I do not see how any of them, with the exception of Martha, could stand up much less tell anyone what to do. There was enough going on that it held my interest and made me want to know what was going to happen next and find out who was doing the mean things that were being done and I wanted to know who did what back in 2005. It was a good story just no good characters to connect with. It had lots of twists going on and will make you hold your breath in parts. In places it’s a bit repetitive though. But that aside I still am glad I read this book. It definitely is one that I had to finish.

Thank you to #NetGalley, #Lesley Sanderson, #Bookouture for the ARC of this book.

I gave it three stars. I do recommend you read it for yourself as things to appeal to different people in different ways. It was one that I had to finish and I enjoyed it in many ways.
A good twisty, turny thriller.  Dark and gripping.  Two girls, best friends recount their story now and back to when they were teenagers. A leaving party is being held for Ava by Lena.  There is a big secret here along with lots of lies. Someone wants this secret outed and revenge sought. A good thriller with a great ending.
Every year on the same day, on the anniversary, I receive a single black rose. Thirteen years of dark petals, jagged thorns, dredging up memories I’ve tried to forget…
I’ve packed up my life. All my belongings are carefully sealed in labelled boxes, my suitcases ready for my big move. I’m just days away from a new life abroad with my boyfriend, Ben.
No one knows the real reason I’m desperate to leave.
My best friend, Lena, is throwing me a leaving party. A celebration, to say goodbye. Champagne to toast my farewell. Speeches, full of fond memories.
No one knows what I’m running from.
Then another black rose appears, dragging up thirteen years of buried memories. My passport goes missing. The very people I am trying to escape from turn up to our house.
Someone knows my secret. They’re in my home, at my party, and they’re making me pay for it.

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building that adds so much to the story.
Had me gripped throughout and couldn't put it down.
Can't wait to see what the author brings us next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Told from two viewpoints this book goes back and forth from 2005 to present day

Both Ava and Lena were hard to like and the more I read the more I disliked them. I pretty much had some things worked out quite early on. This was a good read but didn’t have me eagerly turning pages to see what happened next.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
This thriller focuses on two women, Ava and Lena, who seem to have a strong link stemming from their childhood. The story is told from both their perspectives and also alternates between the present day and events in 2005. This means that you glimpse more and more about the girls' connection. This is one of those stories which has plenty of twists and turns and where you are never quite sure which of the characters is going to turn out to be unreliable. You really can't trust any part of it.

The format of The Leaving Party which sees a gathering to celebrate Ava's imminent departure for New York lends itself to the slightly claustrophobic atmosphere, as does the limited cast of characters who emerge. You aren't sure who can be trusted, of course, and there are some great little cameo characters who are vividly written. Ava is at pains to escape from her past and it is ironic that the party seems to be filled with all that she is trying to escape from. Underneath this is the question as to where is her, fiance, Ben?

Thanks to the author for a copy of the book.
What a great thriller. Twisty, dark and a bit creepy, just how I like them. Thank you publisher and netgalley for this arc in exchange of an honest review.
#NetGalley #The Leaving Party #Bookoutore

The story is told in the past and present by Ava and her best friend Lena.
Something happened at a party thirteen years ago that has deeply affected Ava. Every year on the anniversary of the party someone sends Ava a single black rose to make sure that Ava never forgets. Ava is about to move to New York to live with her fiancé Ben, so Lena throws her a Leaving Party. The day of the party another black rose is sent and things just get creepier from there. Who is the mysterious person that does not want Ava to forget what happened thirteen years ago? Is this person or persons someone Ava knows? Are they at the party? Do they mean to harm Ava?

The Leaving Party is about obsession and secrets and the consequences that happen when the truth is revealed. It was a bit slow at times, but did hold my attention.
Ava is meant to be leaving for New York. Newly engaged to Ben, but keeping it a secret, Ava can't wait to leave her past behind and move on. Her best friend, Lena, is throwing her a fabulous leaving party and all their friends are coming. But there are things happening behind the scenes that will make this a night to remember. Lies have been told, truths withheld. The night will bring drama and revelation. NO SPOILERS.

Told in the alternating viewpoints of Ava and Lena, the story also shifts back and forth between 2005 and present day. Illuminating the things that friends do for love, however misguided, it was a quick read with events recounted from each girl's perspective. I didn't care for either Ava or Lena and anticipated the outcome easily, but it was easy to get through in a single sitting. If you enjoy friendship psychodrama, this is one for you.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.
The Leaving Party by Lesley Sanderson is a simply told story with many layers underneath, twists and turns you won’t see coming, and a finale that will leave you totally stunned.

Ava is making a huge move to America to be with her boyfriend, Ben. But, before she goes, her best friend Lena is throwing her a going away party. They have been friends since their school days and while Lena is sad Ava is moving, she wants the party to be the perfect celebration to say goodbye. Only, not everything is as it seems and when a black rose shows up at their front door, reminding Ava of a tragic event that happened thirteen years prior. Who is leaving her roses and is someone at her party intent on making her pay for the events that have happened in the past?

I really loved the opening of this story and how it easily sucked me in with a teaser of what happened in the past with Ava. It left just enough of a hint of what is going to come. I was drawn in to the events leading up to the part and the reflection on both Ava and Lena’s voices as they both set up the scene to draw you in even further. The story is really easy to follow between both Lena and Ava as well as when the story switches back and forth from the present to the past. The buildup is very slow and tantalizing to where I just needed to keep reading and try to figure out what happened in the past and who might be behind the black roses.

I really love the characterization of the Ava and Lena as well as the party attendees. No one was really trustworthy and the culprit could have been anyone. I kept going back and forth with my ideas on who was behind it all, but Sanderson did a fantastic job really kept you guessing until the big reveal. I love when a story can keep me in suspense until the end.

If you enjoy slow burn type of thrillers with an intense and twisted story then you will certainly enjoy reading The Leaving Party.
With an intriguing plot that juxtaposes the claustrophobic trope (all action takes place in one location) with a going-away party, this book helped me pass the time quickly on a long bus ride. The plot unfolds over both current time events and in flashback chapters that detail a past event. It also contains a fascinating look at the depths of friendship. One of the things I liked most, however, was the red herrings that kept me guessing. A recommended page-turner. For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks. Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of the book.