Cover Image: Binkle's Time to Fly

Binkle's Time to Fly

3.75 Stars

Binkle's Time to Fly by Sharmila Collins is a children's book that encourages children to embrace their differences and how friends can come together and help each other.

The author uses a simply written narrative to tell Binkle's story of becoming a butterfly and his arduous journey to take flight. All his friends come together, using imagination, creativity, and artistic talent to help Binkle fly.

The moral of the story is heartfelt and inspiring. The drawings are simple yet beautiful in their simplicity. Each is filled with tiny details that add depth and provide visual understanding for young readers. I read the book to my granddaughters (ages 3 & 9). The youngest loved the pictures and spent a lot of time looking at each one. She felt sad for Binkle at first, then was so happy when he was able to fly. The oldest "thought it was cute." She understood the main idea was that friends should always help each other. However, she did catch that the author referred to a butterfly's "cocoon." Butterflies do not build cocoons; they go into a chrysalis phase that resembles a cocoon.

Binkle's Time To Fly is an age-appropriate story that encourages creativity and imagination while demonstrating the power of using our individual talents. We can do amazing things when we work together.
Great message, will fit into story time for lots of SEL themes, but I just didn't think the story itself or the writing was very strong or interesting. My critiques are small - a great book for theme, not great literature nor mentor text.
Blinkie's Time to Fly is an uplifting book about overcoming adversity and helping others overcome adversity with the support of those around you.  This would be a great addition to any school, church, or home library!
This is a beautifully written and illustrated book about being different and how friends can give support and hope.
Binkle is a butterfly who finds that he needs a bit of extra help in using his wings. A tender story with gorgeous illustrations, celebrating uniqueness and the power of community.
This is a simply written book, with beautiful illustrations. It discusses the hopes and dreams of Binkle, the butterfly, and why he is unable to achieve that dream. He was born with holes in his wings and he can't fly. His friends come to his aid, and the whole community pitches in to help solve Binkle's problem. The book will be a favorite with the students who feel isolated because of their physical appearance and different abilities, and also with the children who have the heart to help those children.
Binkle's Time to Fly had a wonderful message.  I loved the illustrations.  The message wasn't too preachy, and I enjoyed the story.
I received an arc of this title from NetGalley for an honest review. This is an excellent story for kids about being different and how you can help those who are a bit different. An excellent positive message for kids.
Picture book about a caterpillar whose wings don't develop properly and can't fly. Friends and the community help out. Hope and caring create a new way to fly. Story and illustrations are touching and beautiful.
All Binkle wanted was to be a beautiful butterfly. When he emerges from his chrysalis, his wings are not strong, and he is unable to fly.  With love and help from some friends, Binkle's wings are able to be fixed, and his dream to fly becomes a reality.  Binkle's Time to Fly is a book about friendship and remaining hopeful, even when a situation seems too large to overcome.
I really enjoyed this book!  The illustrations were bright and colorful and Binkle was a character kids could really relate to.  The book was about disappointment and hope in a way that would resonate in many different situations.
I received an electronic ARC from Flyaway Books through NetGalley.
Binkle can't wait to fly but when he comes out of his cocoon, his wings weren't complete. He felt sad and discouraged until his friends helped him. They went to the zoo and enlisted help from other animals to create beautiful additions to his wings. He soars off with his friends to finish the book.
A delightful simple story on this level, and a powerful message about acceptance, support and love for differently abled friends. Working together, everyone got to be part of the joy.
Lovely illustrations help young readers pick up on the story and support the text.
Oh, I loved this sweet little book about Binkle the butterfly. It's important that children are exposed to differences and to see that with acceptance and team work, you can persevere! I love how creatively all the critters worked together to make new colorful wings for Binkle and encouraged him to be free and fly!
A hopeful story of community and compassion to read aloud to children. It will be a perfect book to open discussion about disabilities and a helpful community. An added bonus is all proceeds go for research for the condition of EB which the author's daughter fights.
I received an ARC through NetGalley from Flyaway Books. My son and I absolutely adored this picture book. Binkle is born with imperfect wings and cannot fly, so he has to spend his time watching from the ground. His friends, the butterflies, silkworms, birds, spiders, and bees come together to craft his wings into wings that can fly. With their support they get him back in the air. I like that the beginning includes the butterfly lifecycle, but the Authors Note at the end is what impressed me. This is a book for any kids who’s life is challenging in ways we can’t control, it shows how support from others can lift us up and help us live. Recommended for ages 3-7.
“Binkle’s time to fly” by Sharma Collins  is a beautiful children’s book illustrating the power of creativity and community in supporting individuals with special needs. I appreciated how accessible the content was to kids and how resonant it was related to the transformation of the butterfly, which is something they learn about in school as part of the lifecycle, but also how a unique and unexpected under development of the wings impacted the butterfly’s survival.
Wow.  This book was so touching. Binkle is a happy caterpillar just waiting to grow wings and fly.  When that doesn't happen as Binkle hoped it would, Binkle isn't sure what to do.  Friends come to the rescue and teach a greater lesson than just getting working wings from the start ever would.  Be sure to read the dedication page and the note from the author.  They add such a depth to the story and my heart goes out to them.
This book has a sweet message and beautiful illustrations.  But, butterflies do not make cocoons...they make a chrysalis!  There is a huge difference not just in name, but how it is made.
This is a most excellent book. I'm a 52yr old grown woman with a a disability and I was moved. Imagine how a young child is going to feel... in my mind there's no doubt they're going to believe that they can and will truly fly. Positively beautiful is probably an understatement, however I'm not very articulate, so when I say positively beautiful you should know it means so much more than those two words can convey..!!
This is a beautiful storybook about finding hope in the kindness of others. Author Sharmila Collins' own daughter lives with a rare and painful skin condition, which causes her to lead a much more difficult life than most Using these experiences, Collins has created a wonderful story about how being different can make you incredibly beautiful in your own way. I loved the illustration style, and found this to be incredibly heartwarming.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Flyaway Press for the opportunity to read this tile in exchange for my honest review.